TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fox US Open coverage

gbtrsc

Annoying. Especially Buck and Azinger. Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

4 hours ago, gbtrsc said:

Annoying. Especially Buck and Azinger. Sheesh.

The actual photography, I liked. Very creative with the drones and way more shot trackers than normal, but yeah, Buck and Azinger can go. Bacon and Faxon were much, much better, IMO. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Over the last few years I think Fox golf coverage has gotten much much better....let's face it, you're not going to get Nantz and Faldo but I didn't think they did too bad this year.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

...I really hate Fox interviews and features while the leaders are actually playing golf. We missed a few key shots down the stretch yesterday because Fox thinks viewers need more than golf to keep their attention. But I do think they have gotten a little better than having a camera follow Jason Day walking from hole to hole because he feinted, hoping to catch him doing it again while completely ignoring golf being played. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

...I really hate Fox interviews and features while the leaders are actually playing golf. We missed a few key shots down the stretch yesterday because Fox thinks viewers need more than golf to keep their attention. But I do think they have gotten a little better than having a camera follow Jason Day walking from hole to hole because he feinted, hoping to catch him doing it again while completely ignoring golf being played. 

Good point!  I could have done without their little interview set....maybe they should watch more of what Amanda Balionis does?  

They do seem to stick with the same golfers for a little too long as well. Not sure if you saw it but Max Homa tweeted something along the lines of "Chez Reavie has a great swing...too bad you can't see it if you're watching the US Open"  (I probably messed that up but the point was well made).  I get the final closing holes and focusing on the leaders but there were other great players on the course besides Woodland, Rose and Koepka.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

... Yup, show me good shots from anyone instead of features or watching the leaders just walking. 

With the exception of some new camera angles and drone views, I hated the Fox coverage. Too many "feel-good" stories, dumb interviews, Joe Buck,  weird microphones picking up putters hitting the ball that all sounded odd for some reason, oh and Joe Buck... I was bored with it all and it seemed to not have much flow to it-felt disjointed and unorganized. Hated it.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I think Fox does a much better job than CBS or NBC, especially if you consider they don't have any regular Tour event coverage to hone their craft.  Fewer commercial breaks, far less sophomoric attempts at humor (McCord) and more actual golf shots.  I could live without Azinger but actually don't mind Buck.  I prefer Buck far more than Nantz, to be honest.

With that said, I think Shane Bacon and Brad Faxon should be handed the reigns for all Fox golf coverage on a permanent basis.  They are absolutely stunning in their presentation with both getting more comfortable with every passing broadcast.  Faxon is the best golf color-commentator regardless of network affiliation in my opinion.  Bacon is refreshingly unique and uniquely qualified to sit in the lead chair having played the game at the highest levels as well as being a broadcast journalist.

Just now, sixcat said:

I think Fox does a much better job than CBS or NBC, especially if you consider they don't have any regular Tour event coverage to hone their craft.  Fewer commercial breaks, far less sophomoric attempts at humor (McCord) and more actual golf shots.  I could live without Azinger but actually don't mind Buck.  I prefer Buck far more than Nantz, to be honest.

With that said, I think Shane Bacon and Brad Faxon should be handed the reigns for all Fox golf coverage on a permanent basis.  They are absolutely stunning in their presentation with both getting more comfortable with every passing broadcast.  Faxon is the best golf color-commentator regardless of network affiliation in my opinion.  Bacon is refreshingly unique and uniquely qualified to sit in the lead chair having played the game at the highest levels as well as being a broadcast journalist.

sometimes guys just gel well together and I think Bacon and Faxon are like that.... liked their little Titleist montages too; hopefully Fox takes notice and they don't have a "love affar" with Zinger. 

His down-home takes are sometimes funny though.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Curtis Strange and Paul Azinger made it easy to mute the TV at times. I don't understand their need to constantly compare today's golfers with their generation and how they played the course however many decades ago. It seemed they wanted to take Johnny Miller's spot as the top golf commentator a**hole . The drone shots were awesome as they showed angles most folks will never see of Pebble Beach. I enjoyed the production except for cutting to Joe Buck and watching some sort of side story. That's neat and all but why don't you do that at the beginning and then show some pre-coverage highlights and then go live. 

I think this was Fox's best showing so far but I could do without Buck, Strange and Azinger. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

sometimes guys just gel well together and I think Bacon and Faxon are like that.... liked their little Titleist montages too; hopefully Fox takes notice and they don't have a "love affar" with Zinger. 

His down-home takes are sometimes funny though.

Bacon and Faxon do "gel" quite well together.  To me, Zinger tries to hard to be the folksy uncle with the offbeat little tidbits of wisdom.  But that wisdom comes off as disjointed gibberish that only he understands.  

16 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Totally agree....

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Bacon and Faxon do "gel" quite well together.  To me, Zinger tries to hard to be the folksy uncle with the offbeat little tidbits of wisdom.  But that wisdom comes off as disjointed gibberish that only he understands.  

yeah...I bet he's really really fun to play golf with but those little anecdotes sometimes come out a little weird.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

16 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

The actual photography, I liked. Very creative with the drones and way more shot trackers than normal, but yeah, Buck and Azinger can go. Bacon and Faxon were much, much better, IMO. 

I agree with you.  Photography was better, and the Bacon/Faxon team were pretty good.  Buck and Azinger, though, yuck.  

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I suppose I'm the outcast around here. I like Azinger. I think he'll perhaps be around the golf booth for a long time. As for the rest of the telecast I enjoyed it. Sure I could nit pit but whats the point. Overall Fox has improved quite a bit. Personally I don't think I missed a thing. Great Open and a great Champion in Woodland.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I suppose I'm the outcast around here. I like Azinger. I think he'll perhaps be around the golf booth for a long time. As for the rest of the telecast I enjoyed it. Sure I could nit pit but whats the point. Overall Fox has improved quite a bit. Personally I don't think I missed a thing. Great Open and a great Champion in Woodland.

Agreed.
Zinger doesn't bother me either. Wouldn't mind them tapping him to do a how to sigment from various lies and situations.

Tazz
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

18 hours ago, sixcat said:

I prefer fox over cbs and nbc. I can’t stand nantz and was glad when Johnny announced his retirement. 

As the camera crew ha gotten better with following the ball the fox coverage is really good and they kind of forced the increased use of protracer and the stats on swings from nbc and cbs.

the lack of commercials offsets the fluff pieces which happen to be staples of nbc and to an extent cbs.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I personally enjoyed the coverage. It wasn’t perfect and it wasn’t horrible. Everyone has different expectations on how golf should be presented on TV so it will never be perfect. With 10 hours of coverage you are going to get fluff pieces and varying commentary. I felt like I got to watch more golf shots than normal coverage.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I prefer fox over cbs and nbc. I can’t stand nantz and was glad when Johnny announced his retirement. 

As the camera crew ha gotten better with following the ball the fox coverage is really good and they kind of forced the increased use of protracer and the stats on swings from nbc and cbs.

the lack of commercials offsets the fluff pieces which happen to be staples of nbc and to an extent cbs.

Fluff pieces have become an american staple with sports broadcasting in general.  Some of those pieces were replayed a half-dozen times from Thursday to Sunday.  Just show golf and stop trying to be Oprah or Ellen.

With that said, Fox offers the best coverage in my opinion.  It could be better but it is still better than NBC or CBS.  The good thing about streaming coverage, I can generally get the European broadcast of The Open.  Being something of a minimalist, I find it far superior to anything we have in the US.

I guess I fall into the really don't notice that much difference category.  I focus on the golf and not so much on the broadcast team. IMO, no one covers golf like The Masters and, if the others are striving to be the best at golf coverage, should use that venue as their gold standard.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I guess I fall into the really don't notice that much difference category.  I focus on the golf and not so much on the broadcast team. IMO, no one covers golf like The Masters and, if the others are striving to be the best at golf coverage, should use that venue as their gold standard.

The Masters is a different beast. The course/club controls every aspect. If it wasn’t for wanting to hear the roars around the course and the other sounds I would watch the masters on mute to avoid the broadcast team

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I enjoyed the FOX coverage. I like that they are blatantly showing more golf shots than the other networks. 

I dislike all fluff pieces from any coverage of any sport. They do serve a purpose though as they allow the broadcast team time to use the facilities so I can't be too upset with them as the fluff piece allows me to enjoy less commercials and more golf.

I don't pay too much attention to the commentary of any sport broadcast, so I don't feel Buck, Zinger, and Strange were abhorrent. However, it is clear that Bacon and Faxon are incredibly strong and need to become featured even more.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

... This thread just goes to show how difficult it is to please all. I too enjoy Azinger and think he talks to the audience like he would his fiends sitting around and watching together. I like his "uncle'isms" at least until he starts repeating them and they become catch phrases. But we seem to be the minority as most just don't like him. Same with Curtis Strange as he gives us a players perspective I find very interesting. I never want to hear Buck again. Ever. The one universal seems to be Bacon and Faxon who are as good as it gets together. I hate the cutaways to interviews and features while the leaders are playing. But I enjoyed Keven Nealon's dog feature well before any leaders teed off.

... I am reminded of the quote: "You can please all of the people some of the time. You can please some of the people all of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time". 

Edited by chisag