TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best putting aid

I’m a terrible putter. I don’t line up correct my misses are bad I’m looking for a good putting aid/trainer/mat any suggestions? Im 1 year into golf I shoot low -high 90s usually have 40+ putts I need some serious help any suggestions ?

You can use a alignment sticks if you want a quick and cheap aid. Look on YouTube to see how Speith uses them.

Or a Puttout mirror and the gates it comes with. I have one and I really like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

pelz putting tutor, puttout mirror,  or similar for startline and face control.  If you dont want to spend money,  you can make your own gate.  You can even get a metal yardstick and roll the ball down the yardstick.   Start working on being able to get your ball on your intended line. This is the first skill you need to acquire,  from there you can work on distance control and green reading.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, Jalvino said:

I’m a terrible putter. I don’t line up correct my misses are bad I’m looking for a good putting aid/trainer/mat any suggestions? Im 1 year into golf I shoot low -high 90s usually have 40+ putts I need some serious help any suggestions ?

First: Get a 3' metal ruler with a hole at one end. 

1. Learn to roll the ball off the end of the ruler. 

2. Put a black dot in the hole of the putter and a dime at the other end. Learn to hit the dime without the aid of the ruler. 

3. Do the same sequence to a practice hole.  Start at 3', then 6' and then 12'.    Goals 3 = 10/10,  6' =  5/10, 12' = 3/10

The ruler will cost about $4-5.  The ruler and dime represent as accurate of a rule as you will ever achieve from 3'.  

The goal are PGA Tour make percentages so don't fall into the trap of believing you will ever make more than the above on average.  

Second:  Download a free metronome from your app store.  

Set it up for 74 beats per minute and  2/4.  On the first beep start your backstroke.  On the second, hit the ball.  You should be able to use this tempo giver or take a few beats from 1' to about 35'.   This implies your putter will be moving faster on a long putt when compared to a short putt.  

With some work you will be able to roll the ball straight and achieve consistent distances.  Later you can cover reading the green and aiming.  

I have a laser level which I use to project a straight line along the floor, I use it to help align the putter and putt along it and get a good idea how straight I fail to hit it. You don't need an expensive one, mine was a cheap one (£7 or so from Amazon). 

If your carpet is ok that works fine, or pretty much any putting mat will help, you can get them quite cheaply too, but better quality ones will generally lie flatter.

I also have a PuttOut 'hole' which is great too.

Downside with a carpet though is, depending on the pile, it can sometimes cause the ball to curve so can make it difficult to judge what would normally be a straight putt.

To be honest I have only been using it for a week but the putting pill has been helping me out greatly in terms of stroke path. I was always confident in reading greens but have never had a consistent stoke or distance control. It has earned its spot in my little bag of tees, miscellaneous ball markers, and divot tools. It is a simple tools with no frills and takes up barely any space in your golf bag. The only con I have found so far is that it is a little annoying to setup on the green properly but it doesn't bother me too much anymore. 

Besides just suggesting a training aid in general I would say to find a carpet in your house on a flat surface and roll some putts on that while you're just watching TV or what not. Also what has helped me out recently has been to relax on the greens and not get too technical with the way I try and read greens. I take a look from the low side to determine the direction of break and then just go off of feel and not get too crazy with guessing how many cups/balls out to a side or what not. It doesn't matter if you have the nicest stroke in the world if you still can't read a green you will still have 40+ putts a round.

MyGolfSpy Review - CLICK HERE

Amazon PurchaseCLICK HERE

Driver:          :titelist-small:           913 D2                                    Irons:           :titelist-small:            714 Ap1 4-6, Ap2 7-PW    

Wood:          :taylormade-small:    V-Steel                                    Wedges:      :titelist-small:            Sm7 50, 54, 58

Hybrid:        :titelist-small:            816 H1                                    Putter:        :odyssey-small:  White Hot #7

If it’s an alignment issue get a putting mirror. 

If it’s a speed issue you need to practice speed drills on the green which could be placing a club or alignment stick 18” behind the hole and not rolling over it or using putting circle.

if it’s contact issue then a yardstick, two colored ball, putting pill would be the route to go

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1