Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Consistent Enough to be Fit?

Hey everyone I have been taking the game seriously this year trying to drop my handicap down as low as I can trying to break into single figures. I currently use a blended set of 714 Ap1s and Ap2s with stock R300 shafts. I currently hit the irons quite well but have zero stopping power coming into greens which I'm not too sure is due to a lack of decent angle or spin. Long story short I just want to get fit for new irons but am worried I am not consistent enough with my swing to where I will be fit properly. Each week I am changing my swing step by step making massive changes in the past month or so. My question is if it makes sense to be fit for irons in the middle of swing changes or get to a point in which I am contempt with my swing (if that ever happens for anyone) and then be fitted?

The only numbers I really know in terms of fitting is that I am swinging a driver in roughly the 110mph range so I would guess I should be moving into stiffer and heavier shafts but am unsure what else will change due to that. I'm sorry that I am all over the place with this post am just worried of purchasing a new set of irons and then have them not fit my swing in the not too distant future. 

Driver:          :titelist-small:           913 D2                                    Irons:           :titelist-small:            714 Ap1 4-6, Ap2 7-PW    

Wood:          :taylormade-small:    V-Steel                                    Wedges:      :titelist-small:            Sm7 50, 54, 58

Hybrid:        :titelist-small:            816 H1                                    Putter:        :odyssey-small:  White Hot #7

Getting fit can happen whenever. People are more consistent with their swing than they think. Doesn’t mean it’s s great consistency but they do similar things every swing. 

Getting fit will help you improve your consistency. At your driver as you are probably having to manipulate something with those iron shafts  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Getting fit can happen whenever. People are more consistent with their swing than they think. Doesn’t mean it’s s great consistency but they do similar things every swing. 

Getting fit will help you improve your consistency. At your driver as you are probably having to manipulate something with those iron shafts  

I might take a look once the new Titlesit clubs that were just announced hit the stores. I have a question about spin and decent angle/peak height. I would assume spin is determined by the grooves on the clubs as well as the loft of the club head and then the decent angle/height is determined by the shaft flex profile as well as club head loft (this is assuming identical contact on each hit). Is this assumption correct?  

Driver:          :titelist-small:           913 D2                                    Irons:           :titelist-small:            714 Ap1 4-6, Ap2 7-PW    

Wood:          :taylormade-small:    V-Steel                                    Wedges:      :titelist-small:            Sm7 50, 54, 58

Hybrid:        :titelist-small:            816 H1                                    Putter:        :odyssey-small:  White Hot #7

Not exactly.  Spin is determined by several factors, including club, ball, swing, etc.  Angle of descent is a factor of your swing characteristics, which will influence launch angle, spin, apex height, and distance.

Your fitter will help immensely with determining shaft flex, club selection, shaft selection, and more.   Yes, if you change your swing, then the fitting will likely need adjusting, but in all likelihood, that would simply be a lie angle adjustment.  Shaft characteristics probably won't change.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 hours ago, Nttom said:

I might take a look once the new Titlesit clubs that were just announced hit the stores. I have a question about spin and decent angle/peak height. I would assume spin is determined by the grooves on the clubs as well as the loft of the club head and then the decent angle/height is determined by the shaft flex profile as well as club head loft (this is assuming identical contact on each hit). Is this assumption correct?  

Spin and descent angle tend to relate to one another. Flex of shaft can influence both but your swing and delivery of the club and contact with the ball will have the biggest effect. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you want to understand more about spin and what causes spin and other fitting dynamics I would suggest you watch some of the videos on trackman university.

https://trackmanuniversity.com/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In answer to your question, I would definitely get fit for irons.  You'll produce enough quality strikes such that the vital specs can be established.  It is true that someone can be having an "off" (or on) swing day while evaluating particular clubs that may affect how you feel about their performance. I think it's also true that a beginner should still get fitted but will likely have more difficulty assessing differences between clubs - but it does not sound like you're in this category.  I had three fittings for irons, getting LM data on 6 different models before making my decision. But then a part of me was trying to convince myself nothing could be better than my PE2's and the technical side of me was wanting proof 😉.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)