TESTERS WANTED! ×

(Amateurs) is working out really necessary ?

Big money

I’ve played (and currently play) with a group of low handicap golfers.A few have even won our yearly city tourney as well.The question came up about getting fit and advantages in their golf games.Most replied they have no need for it and credit good technique with their low handicap success.Granted we are just amateurs playing the same local clubs daily.Is getting fit really a necessity for our games? 

Keep it in the short stuff

In short yes.

You don’t tell us the age of these golfers, but as you get older the body starts to wear out and you have aches and pains. You can delay this by getting fitter. Younger players are more flexible,generally don’t warm up, and the damage caused by swinging incorrectly will eventually take its toll.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

In short yes.

You don’t tell us the age of these golfers, but as you get older the body starts to wear out and you have aches and pains. You can delay this by getting fitter. Younger players are more flexible,generally don’t warm up, and the damage caused by swinging incorrectly will eventually take its toll.

Age(s) are mid 30’s - early 70’s.

getting fit for clubs or getting fit physically ??

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I love golf and love going to the gym; However, the gym is basically useless —or others —unless We develop a more proper swing technique. Proper technique in golf will trump getting in shape every time in our games 

Couldn't agree more OG !! 

get outta the cart and walk and see how you feel after 18 holes....even with a pushcart.... if you're tired and sore and have a hard time swinging on the last few holes that might answer your question.

Golf is a game that is meant for walking... 

...and if you want to hit the ball further you need to be stronger and flexible in the right places; don't necessarily need to bulk up with large muscles but strong flexible ones will always help.

aerobic + anaerobic exercise = lower scores.... I can assure you of that.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

All types of bodies have been successful on tour and in amateur ranks. Being in shape doesn’t have any downsides to golf or life. It’s not a requirement to be in shape to be good or great at golf.

on the club side getting fit is another stead that has no downsides. Optimizing the ball flight characteristics for your swing by being in clubs that let you swing the most efficient way possible without having to manipulate anything is better than playing clubs that don’t allow you to play your best

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Couldn't agree more OG !! 
get outta the cart and walk and see how you feel after 18 holes....even with a pushcart.... if you're tired and sore and have a hard time swinging on the last few holes that might answer your question.
Golf is a game that is meant for walking... 
...and if you want to hit the ball further you need to be stronger and flexible in the right places; don't necessarily need to bulk up with large muscles but strong flexible ones will always help.
aerobic + anaerobic exercise = lower scores.... I can assure you of that.

Amen brother!

I walk my golf course three times a week and it’s a show nuff workout!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Being physically fit doesn't hurt your play on the course.

Why would you not want to see what extra gains you can find through being in shape?

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

32 minutes ago, revkev said:

I foolishly agreed with those guys at one point in my life even though my pro back in Wisconsin started by asking what my goals were because if they were to play on the champions tour I needed to hit the gym.

Through lessons, proper fitting and the ability to play/practice year round once we moved to Florida, I got myself all the way down from 5 to below a 2. At 55 I was extremely competitive as a senior player in a county of nearly a million people.

But age an extra weight, lack of fitness and extra weight caught up with me. I drifted from the mid 160’s in my 20’s and 30’s to the mid 180’s in my 40’s (not bad - just a little paunch like most middle aged guys). Not enough extra weight to impact my swing or my game at that age. But as I moved to my late 50’s stuff started happening, fast - work became stressful, 185 became 195 and inching towards 200, 205, 210. Suddenly I had a heart issue (genetically predisposed to it) and even though that’s controlled through an ablation and medication I was on the verge of diabetes. On the golf course I lost 30 yards and my scores as ended accordingly. Frankly I only played golf for social reasons, the fun wasn’t in the game anymore, it was in spending time with friends. It was in one of those round after failing to carry a pond that I could hit a 5 wood over five years prior that a long time friend asked when the baby was due. That was late January of 2018.

When I stepped on the scale at the start of my fitness program on February 4th I weighed 209 buck naked. My goal was to get back to 185. I got there by late April and didn’t stop. I got to my college playing weight 168 for my 62nd birthday in October and weighed 165 on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter so I’m maintaining.

Had a physical two weeks ago and my doctor flipped out. She said I’m a totally different person than the last time that she saw me - blood work great, BP 110/68 vs 130/85, sitting heart rate 64 v 85. I told her I was working on moving the needle a tad lower to 162. She said great idea but not too much lower than that. Weighed in this morning at 161.9.

Who cares about golf, fitness matters for life - any argument against it is foolish. You owe it to the people whom you love and yourself to stay as fit as possible.

But since the question was about golf - I’ve regained 25 yards with driver, a full club plus with irons - my last four rounds I’ve shot 77,70,77 and was 2 under Sunday afternoon when the rains came.

One of those rounds was competitive the others casual. I’m being accused of sandbagging i my leagues - I’m not - it just takes a bunch of 9 hoke rounds for the handicap to catch up - I was a 9 (for 18) in one league and a 7 in the other so getting 5 and 4 a side.

It absolutely matters but golf is the least of a person’s worries. This from a guy who will be burying a non fit 59 year old on Saturday.

Preach it bruther!   Awesome post!!!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

As an amatuer, you don't lift weights to see an advantage today. You lift/work out to be better down the road. As stated by others in this thread, you'll see your distance/power plateau by your late 30s and start to see a decline in your mid 40s. Working out will pay dividends to your future self when you don't see such a rapid decline or a bump in swing-related injuries. There's numerous health benefits from being in the gym, especially those who live in environments where walking isn't feasible. I'd love to use a push cart in the summer but have you been to Houston from May to October? It's brutal. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Not going to the gym doesn't mean you will play worse and going to the gym doesn't mean you will play better. The biggest difference is how you feel on the course, afterwards, and every morning when you get out of bed!!! 

If you do have aspirations of playing beyond your typical courses and tourneys, a better physique could be beneficial. There are so many variables at play that could determine whether or not you see improvement in your scores on the golf course, but there's no denying the impact fitness has everywhere else. It's always worth it to get in the gym and make an effort.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

You probably want to ask those guys again what they think you mean by 'working out'. 

I absolutely agree with OG and Rev that improving physical fitness can in no way hurt your game. There are any number of golf targeted workout programs out there that prove working out the right way is a good way to improve in-game performance. True, improving strength, flexibility, range of motion and core strength won't make you a better ball striker. But it will make producing a fluid powerful swing easier.

It all becomes more important as we age (especially the flexibility part) if you intend to maintain swing performance.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Improving muscular strength, muscular endurance, cardio respiratory fitness, flexibility and body composition will without a doubt increase your potential for better golf.

Can you play and enjoy Golf without a regimented fitness plan? Yes but you will also fail to realize your full potential. If you play golf like a game working out may not be important. If you play golf like a sport working out is absolutely important.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It’s not necessary but you’d be foolish to not take advantage of cardio, flexibility, and core strength that working out gives you.

I do 10 mins of Pilates every morning to help my back stay loose and keep it from hurting. Even something as small as that can have huge dividends when it comes to golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I dont know if I would say its, "neccesary" but it certainly helps.  Being stronger, faster, more flexible and having better endurance is only going to make you a better golfer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

At 50 and now at 68. Getting fit has made a HUGE difference in everything I do now. It won’t cure a crappy golf game however you will feel and look better trying 🏌️♂️

IMG_0001.jpg.9b40d36ea6bb19dfa12558cc18348efa.jpgIMG_0002.thumb.jpg.2c308c4fdd12b4e2dfeea4354ac08823.jpg

Looking great!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

21 hours ago, revkev said:

I foolishly agreed with those guys at one point in my life even though my pro back in Wisconsin started by asking what my goals were because if they were to play on the champions tour I needed to hit the gym.

Through lessons, proper fitting and the ability to play/practice year round once we moved to Florida, I got myself all the way down from 5 to below a 2. At 55 I was extremely competitive as a senior player in a county of nearly a million people.

But age an extra weight, lack of fitness and extra weight caught up with me. I drifted from the mid 160’s in my 20’s and 30’s to the mid 180’s in my 40’s (not bad - just a little paunch like most middle aged guys). Not enough extra weight to impact my swing or my game at that age. But as I moved to my late 50’s stuff started happening, fast - work became stressful, 185 became 195 and inching towards 200, 205, 210. Suddenly I had a heart issue (genetically predisposed to it) and even though that’s controlled through an ablation and medication I was on the verge of diabetes. On the golf course I lost 30 yards and my scores as ended accordingly. Frankly I only played golf for social reasons, the fun wasn’t in the game anymore, it was in spending time with friends. It was in one of those round after failing to carry a pond that I could hit a 5 wood over five years prior that a long time friend asked when the baby was due. That was late January of 2018.

When I stepped on the scale at the start of my fitness program on February 4th I weighed 209 buck naked. My goal was to get back to 185. I got there by late April and didn’t stop. I got to my college playing weight 168 for my 62nd birthday in October and weighed 165 on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter so I’m maintaining.

Had a physical two weeks ago and my doctor flipped out. She said I’m a totally different person than the last time that she saw me - blood work great, BP 110/68 vs 130/85, sitting heart rate 64 v 85. I told her I was working on moving the needle a tad lower to 162. She said great idea but not too much lower than that. Weighed in this morning at 161.9.

Who cares about golf, fitness matters for life - any argument against it is foolish. You owe it to the people whom you love and yourself to stay as fit as possible.

But since the question was about golf - I’ve regained 25 yards with driver, a full club plus with irons - my last four rounds I’ve shot 77,70,77 and was 2 under Sunday afternoon when the rains came.

One of those rounds was competitive the others casual. I’m being accused of sandbagging i my leagues - I’m not - it just takes a bunch of 9 hoke rounds for the handicap to catch up - I was a 9 (for 18) in one league and a 7 in the other so getting 5 and 4 a side.

It absolutely matters but golf is the least of a person’s worries. This from a guy who will be burying a non fit 59 year old on Saturday.

Good stuff! I was 187 in January. I'm down to 160 now. I feel a lot better, but I have shoulder problems that don't help with the golf game.

Wow!!! More amateur golfers need the gym than they need golf.Many I see can’t even function unless they are riding a cart.Some of the most out of shape-lazy-sick looking individuals I’ve ever come across are golfers in general.Change your life and live longer.The gym is a life style change that our bodies need.

Great work Ole Grey and Rev

In my line of work fitness is required.

It pisses me off when we get a 19-25 year old that can pass the minimum times.

I am no workout guru, but I make sure that I am faster and do more than the minimums to set a good example.

If I don’t do some sort of calisthenics and a run at least 3 days a week I get slow.

I hate the gym.  But, that doesn't stop me from being fit.  

I do "exercise snacks."  Short but focused exercise/stretches during the day.  I start the day by rolling out of bed, doing my 50 knee push ups and a 10 to 15 minute yoga routine.  At lunch time, I'll do a short stretch and a kettle bell routine.  I warm up before golf and stretch afterward.  At night, I'll pause the TV and do another kettle bell routine.  I also walk the dog.  Before bed, I do my second set of push ups and repeat the yoga routine.  All told, I get about 40 to 60 minutes of exercise a day, not including time playing or practicing golf. 

It works for me.  May not be optimal, but it is great for overall fitness and it works for me.  When I belonged to a gym, I managed to find too many excuses to skip it.  The "exercise snacks" fit my personality.  Also, they keep me from eating--I stretch instead.     

I hate the gym.  But, that doesn't stop me from being fit.  

I do "exercise snacks."  Short but focused exercise/stretches during the day.  I start the day by rolling out of bed, doing my 50 knee push ups and a 10 to 15 minute yoga routine.  At lunch time, I'll do a short stretch and a kettle bell routine.  I warm up before golf and stretch afterward.  At night, I'll pause the TV and do another kettle bell routine.  I also walk the dog.  Before bed, I do my second set of push ups and repeat the yoga routine.  All told, I get about 40 to 60 minutes of exercise a day, not including time playing or practicing golf. 

It works for me.  May not be optimal, but it is great for overall fitness and it works for me.  When I belonged to a gym, I managed to find too many excuses to skip it.  The "exercise snacks" fit my personality.  Also, they keep me from eating--I stretch instead.     

Great stuff - the first thing that I told my trainer a year and a half ago was - I will exercise but I won’t go to the gym. She had no trouble constructing an at home program for me that has worked just fine.

One thing that I’ve learned is that it doesn’t take a lot to get fit - just a little bit every day and eat properly most of the time.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 6/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, Edveed said:

Wow!!! More amateur golfers need the gym than they need golf.Many I see can’t even function unless they are riding a cart.Some of the most out of shape-lazy-sick looking individuals I’ve ever come across are golfers in general.Change your life and live longer.The gym is a life style change that our bodies need.

Great work Ole Grey and Rev

Great banter by all on here. Just have to say Edveed that some of those cart riding out of shape golfers can really play. They may not be to your liking. But they can really golf their ball. They might surprise you on how flexible and athletic they really are. Even though their bodies may not show it. Can’t judge a book by its cover 

1 hour ago, Twofer said:

Great banter by all on here. Just have to say Edveed that some of those cart riding out of shape golfers can really play. They may not be to your liking. But they can really golf their ball. They might surprise you on how flexible and athletic they really are. Even though their bodies may not show it. Can’t judge a book by its cover 

Not only that.... some people just physically can't walk 18 holes of golf for other reasons other than simply being out of shape. Others enjoy riding more than walking, even if they are in great shape.

Edited by silver & black

I love in Florida and am 62 - you aren’t playing 18 holes walking in the summer here at my age without jeopardizing your health. I also know out of shape guys that play well. So I’m that regard I agree.

But I disagree that you are playing to your full potential of out of shape. You are also cutting down on your longevity as a good player if you aren’t fit and again there’s life itself. I spend tons of time with elderly people. They tend to be trim and fit. Out of shape people tend to not make it to elderly status. On the other hand the younger people whom I bury (outside of accidents, homicides, suicides or drugs) are almost always obese.

Okay it’s time to go do funeral number 2 this weekend. This one is for a 33 year old. He was not obese - his death came one of the parenthetical items. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I normally carry or walk with a push trolley lately. However when in Oregon it was hitting 40*c/104*f and walking to your cart was an effort. The breeze you got via the cart when driving was not only a joy but essential. 

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I just want to add my 2 cents to this. I'm 59, and have been in and out of shape. Today I am still an avid cyclist, and still competitive in my age group in races. I prefer to walk, but it is clear that I score better when I ride. I tend to walk my 9 hole rounds,  and ride 18. 18 hole rounds tend to be more social anyway. I think being flexible is more important than strength for golf,  but I  aim for both. The couple guys I know who are seriously competitive in their age groups, plus 2ish handicappers,  are seriously fit. They can out lift me, and bend in ways I have never dreamed of. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese