Twofer

(Amateurs) is working out really necessary ?

Wow!!! More amateur golfers need the gym than they need golf.Many I see can’t even function unless they are riding a cart.Some of the most out of shape-lazy-sick looking individuals I’ve ever come across are golfers in general.Change your life and live longer.The gym is a life style change that our bodies need.

Great work Ole Grey and Rev

• Like 2

In my line of work fitness is required.

It pisses me off when we get a 19-25 year old that can pass the minimum times.

I am no workout guru, but I make sure that I am faster and do more than the minimums to set a good example.

If I don’t do some sort of calisthenics and a run at least 3 days a week I get slow.

• Like 4

I hate the gym.  But, that doesn't stop me from being fit.  

I do "exercise snacks."  Short but focused exercise/stretches during the day.  I start the day by rolling out of bed, doing my 50 knee push ups and a 10 to 15 minute yoga routine.  At lunch time, I'll do a short stretch and a kettle bell routine.  I warm up before golf and stretch afterward.  At night, I'll pause the TV and do another kettle bell routine.  I also walk the dog.  Before bed, I do my second set of push ups and repeat the yoga routine.  All told, I get about 40 to 60 minutes of exercise a day, not including time playing or practicing golf. 

It works for me.  May not be optimal, but it is great for overall fitness and it works for me.  When I belonged to a gym, I managed to find too many excuses to skip it.  The "exercise snacks" fit my personality.  Also, they keep me from eating--I stretch instead.     

• Like 4

I hate the gym.  But, that doesn't stop me from being fit.  

I do "exercise snacks."  Short but focused exercise/stretches during the day.  I start the day by rolling out of bed, doing my 50 knee push ups and a 10 to 15 minute yoga routine.  At lunch time, I'll do a short stretch and a kettle bell routine.  I warm up before golf and stretch afterward.  At night, I'll pause the TV and do another kettle bell routine.  I also walk the dog.  Before bed, I do my second set of push ups and repeat the yoga routine.  All told, I get about 40 to 60 minutes of exercise a day, not including time playing or practicing golf. 

It works for me.  May not be optimal, but it is great for overall fitness and it works for me.  When I belonged to a gym, I managed to find too many excuses to skip it.  The "exercise snacks" fit my personality.  Also, they keep me from eating--I stretch instead.     

Great stuff - the first thing that I told my trainer a year and a half ago was - I will exercise but I won’t go to the gym. She had no trouble constructing an at home program for me that has worked just fine.

One thing that I’ve learned is that it doesn’t take a lot to get fit - just a little bit every day and eat properly most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

On 6/19/2019 at 7:31 AM, Edveed said:

Wow!!! More amateur golfers need the gym than they need golf.Many I see can’t even function unless they are riding a cart.Some of the most out of shape-lazy-sick looking individuals I’ve ever come across are golfers in general.Change your life and live longer.The gym is a life style change that our bodies need.

Great work Ole Grey and Rev

Great banter by all on here. Just have to say Edveed that some of those cart riding out of shape golfers can really play. They may not be to your liking. But they can really golf their ball. They might surprise you on how flexible and athletic they really are. Even though their bodies may not show it. Can’t judge a book by its cover 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Twofer said:

Great banter by all on here. Just have to say Edveed that some of those cart riding out of shape golfers can really play. They may not be to your liking. But they can really golf their ball. They might surprise you on how flexible and athletic they really are. Even though their bodies may not show it. Can’t judge a book by its cover 

Not only that.... some people just physically can't walk 18 holes of golf for other reasons other than simply being out of shape. Others enjoy riding more than walking, even if they are in great shape.

Edited by silver & black

I love in Florida and am 62 - you aren’t playing 18 holes walking in the summer here at my age without jeopardizing your health. I also know out of shape guys that play well. So I’m that regard I agree.

But I disagree that you are playing to your full potential of out of shape. You are also cutting down on your longevity as a good player if you aren’t fit and again there’s life itself. I spend tons of time with elderly people. They tend to be trim and fit. Out of shape people tend to not make it to elderly status. On the other hand the younger people whom I bury (outside of accidents, homicides, suicides or drugs) are almost always obese.

Okay it’s time to go do funeral number 2 this weekend. This one is for a 33 year old. He was not obese - his death came one of the parenthetical items. :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

I normally carry or walk with a push trolley lately. However when in Oregon it was hitting 40*c/104*f and walking to your cart was an effort. The breeze you got via the cart when driving was not only a joy but essential. 

• Like 3

How many PGA Tour pros carry their own bag? Walking is enjoyable, I agree. But... I can't carry my bag and play 18 holes. I can push a cart, but no way will my back and shoulder allow me to carry the bag.

• Like 2

I just want to add my 2 cents to this. I'm 59, and have been in and out of shape. Today I am still an avid cyclist, and still competitive in my age group in races. I prefer to walk, but it is clear that I score better when I ride. I tend to walk my 9 hole rounds,  and ride 18. 18 hole rounds tend to be more social anyway. I think being flexible is more important than strength for golf,  but I  aim for both. The couple guys I know who are seriously competitive in their age groups, plus 2ish handicappers,  are seriously fit. They can out lift me, and bend in ways I have never dreamed of. 

• Like 1

Yesterday, I played "Geriatric Golf."  (That's the name the group calls our game, not a characterization from me.)  It highlighted the importance of staying fit and how it impacts one's golf game ( and life overall) as we age.  

Five of us played an 18 hole best ball from the senior tees.  We shot 9 under, not our best but a good score for our group.  I'm 61, the others are 67, 68, 71 and 73.  The 71 year old and I are the 'long hitters" of the group.  This was driven home to me on the third hole when the other three grabbed woods for a 145 yard shot.  I hit 8 iron and the 71 year old hit 7.  

Our group has similar back grounds and careers.  All had office jobs--business owners or professionals.  None of us are over weight. But, the 71 year old and I are conscious of our fitness level.  While all in the group does cardio, mainly bike riding, the two of us also work out on a regular basis, with an emphasis on stretching. 

It's not the years, but the miles.  That saying was in stark relief yesterday.   

• Like 5