TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review- Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter

One of the things I love about this review is how many different types of original gamers we have for a comparison!  With that being said, do you guys feel that the ball is rolling better off the face compared to your current gamers?  That's one of the first things I always look at with putters is how much the ball is skipping, especially on longer putts.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

One of the things I love about this review is how many different types of original gamers we have for a comparison!  With that being said, do you guys feel that the ball is rolling better off the face compared to your current gamers?  That's one of the first things I always look at with putters is how much the ball is skipping, especially on longer putts.
I feel the ball rolls very well, surprisingly better then my Odyssey #7. What I am most impressed with is the roll I get even on poor strikes. I cannot remember a skip I've had within 15 ft. On longer putts I'll get the occasional skip but one that's my buggaboo range and two it's mostly caused by my poor tempo and nothing to do with the TA3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Been switching back and forth between the gamer and the TA3 noticing that the TA3 feels like it comes off the face more on line than my current gamer. On longer putts I have not been able to tell too much of a difference as of yet.

Another weird thing, due to the smallness of the TA3 putter face I find that I am hitting the center of my MLA much more often than before, weird tidbit but I think the TA3 is helping the ball striking in my putting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Ok whoever started the open club face talk has gotten in my head because I am having an awful time closing the club face and sending putts left. Had a horrid day putting with 5 3-putts, the positive is the shortest 3-putt was 30 ft the longest 82. Looks like I need to work on proximity to the hole.

1 hour ago, HeathS16 said:

Another weird thing, due to the smallness of the TA3 putter face I find that I am hitting the center of my MLA much more often than before, weird tidbit but I think the TA3 is helping the ball striking in my putting. emoji28.png

I don't think there's anything weird about that it all. It's like those tiny holes on the practice green that make you really focus, so when you putt into a normal sized cup, it looks huge and you feel like you can't miss it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Which type of putting stroke do you guys suggest the TA3 is best suited for?

Which type of putting stroke do you guys suggest the TA3 is best suited for?

Straight back and straight through. Though a small arch does at times feel a bit more comfortable and sends the ball well.

Straight back and straight through. Though a small arch does at times feel a bit more comfortable and sends the ball well.

100% straight back straight through. I putt with a slight arc and find myself occasionally getting into trouble with that. The straighter I am the better.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:27 AM, tchat07 said:

100% straight back straight through. I putt with a slight arc and find myself occasionally getting into trouble with that. The straighter I am the better.

Yes, I would agree, been trying to play around with different strokes and find SBST to be the most consistent. I tend to pull more putts when I use a bit more arc. 

Edited by HeathS16

Yes, I would agree, been trying to play around with different strokes and find SBST to be the most consistent. I tend to pull more putts when I use a bit more arc. 
Agreed lots of balls ending up a little more left then I planned. My problem is maintaining SBST on longer putts, I tend to add some arc toward the back end which leads to a pull and often poor distance control.

I went to DSG today and tried this putter based on these reviews.  I thought it rolled the ball pretty well and I definitely can see the straight back and through stroke. 

The one thing I'm curious about from you guys that I really noticed in the store was how is the finish holding up?  The ones in store had scratches all over them.

I went to DSG today and tried this putter based on these reviews.  I thought it rolled the ball pretty well and I definitely can see the straight back and through stroke. 
The one thing I'm curious about from you guys that I really noticed in the store was how is the finish holding up?  The ones in store had scratches all over them.
I have yet to notice any scratches at all. Personally I am very careful about always putting the headcover back on the putter before I put it in my bag. In the stores people probably drop other clubs into them or stub them about on different things. The only thing I have noticed is the putter face will often get grass clippings stuck in it which is more unsightly then plays actual negative role in putting.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, goaliewales14 said:

To be honest I was skeptical when I first got it. However I too am very careful with my putters. This one so far is holding up just as well as other putters, maybe even better than some brands that paint their heads

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Don’t want to horn in on your review, but I had 26 putts on Monday with my Blacked out TA Impact #3.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

How does that compare with before you started using the TA #3? What are your thoughts on the club?

The Impact #3 put my Evnroll in the closet and has outperformed the Cleveland Huntington Beach. My putting confidence is at an all time high.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

The Impact #3 put my Evnroll in the closet and has outperformed the Cleveland Huntington Beach. My putting confidence is at an all time high.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Yea my Evnroll ER5 is going back on the bench this weekend. Love my TA #3!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

@fozcycle and @olegray any reasons you can speak on why you like the TA3 so much?

It is well balanced, sits flat on the ground allowing for a SBST stroke. I’ve been able to get long lags close as well as 3 footers to drop. Three putts are a thing of the past.

@fozcycle and @olegray any reasons you can speak on why you like the TA3 so much?

My misses are closer in proximity to the hole allowing me to eliminate the majority of those dreaded three putts. I took my Evenroll to Florida and I’m looking forward to getting my TA #3 back in the sack!

Cleveland

Scrolling thru the unread feed and this thread pops up. And like a fat kid in front of a donut shop. I must come in.
Great info guys and it's very possible this putter could find its way into my bag real soon.
Keep the info coming. I love it and donuts

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I have only noticed 1 minor scratch so far,although I wouldn’t be surprised if the matte finish doesn’t hold up super well more to come as I see it.

I have only noticed 1 minor scratch so far,although I wouldn’t be surprised if the matte finish doesn’t hold up super well more to come as I see it.

The black shaft coating is coming off.....due to the rubber ribbing in m6 golf bag......so I just add a dab of black marker and away we go....

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

The black shaft coating is coming off.....due to the rubber ribbing in m6 golf bag......so I just add a dab of black marker and away we go....

I love this 🙂 

Great work so far guys! I've been eyeing a TA3 since it won the testing last year. 

If you had to pick, currently has the TA3 helped improve your distance control or improved your ability to keep putts on the intended line?

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

17 hours ago, palvord said:

Great work so far guys! I've been eyeing a TA3 since it won the testing last year. 

If you had to pick, currently has the TA3 helped improve your distance control or improved your ability to keep putts on the intended line?

My stage 2 is up and speaks to both of these points!  I have seen improvement in both areas, it is very controllable and also consistent in distances. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, HeathS16 said:

Stage Two - Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 Putter– Official MGS Forum Review by HeathS16

Intro

Here it is, the final verdict.  After hours of testing on the putting green and about 5 rounds with the TA3 I have my final thoughts on this back-to-back MostWanted winner. Before I get too far into this I would like to reiterate the main performance factors I will be judging this putter on. They are as follows:

1.      Performance from 10 ft

2.      Miss proximity

3.      Total putts per round

As we go through this stage 2 I will refer back to these performance metrics where applicable.  MLA vs TA3 here we go! 

Looks (9 out of 10 points) 

I LOVE the fang design of this putter, super easy to line up and very easy to maintain a straight-back straight-through stroke. As I said in the stage 1 earlier I am a huge fan of the “murdered out” all-black look, very sleek and honestly just plain sick. Although not a huge fan of the bronze color I think the overall look is appealing and comes together quite nicely. Compared to other putters in its price range or even above its price range, it does not look cheap but rather has a quality-look to it.  There is a unique feature that I found intriguing and that was the head size. The putter blade itself looks quite small from the top and is easily the shortest putter blade I have ever played. This does not mean that the center of the face is hard to hit but rather makes the putter feel solid throughout the face. 

Sound & Feel (8 out of 10 points)

The TA3 has a softer sound to it.  It does tend to be on the smooth side to me, it has a pleasant little “tock” sound when it contacts the ball.  Through testing I have used both a 3 and a 4 layered ball and did not notice a difference in the sound. The feel across the face is exactly what you would expect, soft on the center and a little more solid on mis-hits (especially in the toe) I think the insert on the TA3 really shines here as the smaller putter blade does not seem to lessen the sweet spot and the putter performs well across the face. This good performance does not take away from when you hit a putt dead-on the sweet spot, as it takes off on a good roll. In contrast, the worst strikes I have felt/heard are on toe strikes, as the sound became more of a click and the feedback from those strikes were different than center ones. Performance-wise neither the small putter blade nor the bad strikes impacted my mental game, I was able to step up to any putt and feel as though I had a chance to hole it. 

Basic Characteristics (20 out of 20 points) 

My initial thoughts with the TA3 was that it was very easy to line up, and that it sent to ball on the intended line very well.  I enjoy using the gate drill when I practice my putting and I had absolutely no problem getting the ball through the gate with the TA3, accuracy of intended line is one of the best attributes of this putter. The only misses I had were obvious pushes or pulls as I could tell coming through the stroke that the ball was going to go offline.  One of the key factors for me was distance control, especially on misses, I was very excited to see how my distance control was with the TA3. I am happy to say that this putter exceeded my wildest expectations in this category as the TA3 was on average 3.2 ft closer to the hole than my current gamer. When using the TA3 I feel very much in control and feel as though even if the putt misses, the miss won’t be far away.  For someone who regularly has at least 1 3-putt per round this is a game changer. The only critique I have from my time on the practice green with this putter is that during one of the sessions the putter face seemed to sit a bit open. During this session I was testing different distances and I noticed that I was starting to pull a lot of putts, especially from the 10’ and up range. I assume this was due to the feeling that the putter head was open at impact, none of the other days did I feel this way but I felt that this instance was worth noting.  That being said, I do feel as though the putter stays true to the path of the stroke, with the TA3’s compact design it allows for the player to control the path more. This putter is certainly for a Straight-Back, Straight-Through putting stroke. I did test with a slight arch and a bigger arching stroke and found that many of those putts ended up being pulled left. The large arch stroke was much worse for this miss than the slight one as I noted in the thread there were some days that a slight arch performed decently well but this stroke just pulled to many to be viable. I did note on the practice green that the forgiveness of the TA3 is superb as even mis-hits went the right distance and sometimes still went in.  This also held true for the rough, fringe and runoff (fairway) test I was able to do. The putter felt good and performed well in pretty much any scenario. 

Here is a bit of data that I collected from my practice sessions:

*Distance tests were done over the course of 5 different sessions 20 shots a day at all three distances.*

TA3 5 ft total: 75/100        MLA 5 ft total: 85/100

TA3 10 ft total: 50/100      MLA 10 ft total: 35/100

TA3 20 ft total: 15/100      MLA 20 ft total: 13/100

*Note the performance on the 10 ft distance, one of the performance metrics I am looking at.*

On-Course Performance (29 out of 30 points) 

The performance area of the review is where the TA3 really brought the heat.  I have never in my life made this many birdies, I was able to play 5 full rounds with the TA3 and here are the results: 

330440822_ScoresTA3review.JPG.c0df7881a22ddb753a40adf4810bec75.JPG

1620029928_28totalputtsand8oneputtsTA3review.JPG.307caa23b9b92dc096033d9ef848d1eb.JPG

Most notable from the two pictures above is the round of 28 total putts and 8 one-putts.  Had I struck the ball better this would have easily been one of the best rounds I had ever played, even still, to post an 81 on a bad day is very good! With the TA3 in the bag I not only posted my best scores of 2019 but I was also able to make 3 birdies in a single round two times! OUT OF 5 ROUNDS! My total birdie tally for all of 2019 prior to this review was 4 with my current gamer. 

TA3 Birdie total- 8

MLA Birdie total- 4

943145599_Puttsperroundforallof2019TA3review.JPG.b265bf5f26691527477ca3438fbafccb.JPG

While the total number of putts did not go down significantly at first, I did only have 2 three-putts with the TA3, which is HUGE for me.  See below: 

1132130303_Puttsperroundlast5withTA3.JPG.cf79cb8a9c79272eb8a3a2f2133215ce.JPG

Like I mentioned before, even though the total putts did not go down at first, once I got used to the putter things really started to change.  

981552784_ScoringaveragewithTA3.JPG.b50f04424f89696113c48a1ed0c890e5.JPG

I started to score well and dropped my scoring average from the past year by almost 2 strokes. See below:

1992724766_Scoringaverageoverpreviousyear.JPG.c0ba8bf4dbdb63292be81d87a0b9c2d5.JPG

This putter flat out performed...even when the pressure was on, during that round of 76 I had a 9-footer for birdie on 17 (a 215 yard par 3) and I sunk it dead-center.  Like I have mentioned before, I felt as though I had a chance to hole every putt I stood over. As you can see from the data above, this putter improved my game, just by putting it into my bag.  I Loved the performance from 15 ft and in, and I loved the constancy of speed and proximity of misses as this mitigates the chances for three-putting. One small critique was the performance outside of 15 ft, as this putter is not a great putter from distance. But the overall performance of this putter really diminishes the negatives about it.  This product has completely changed my opinion of Tommy Armour as a brand. I certainly want to try more of their products based on the performance of this club, at the price point they offer there is no better value in golf. If I did have one suggestion for TA it would be the ability to customize the putter. While I am a huge fan of the murdered out look I would like to see other options as the all-black might turn some people away from purchasing this club.  As far as what I would like to continue to see from TA is simplicity. This club does not bring anything groundbreaking to the table, just proven tech in a well produced and affordable package I would simply hate to see them get too complicated and move away from a club that performs so well.   

Miscellaneous (7 out of 10 points)

There are two things I would like to mention as a part of the most negative portion of this review.  First of all is the condition of the box that the putter came in upon arrival.  

970078994_IMG_0387(1).thumb.jpg.8a8d734a017af8695b89405a551fea3a.jpg

It was pretty beat up and I noticed that almost every other tester’s box looked similar to mine.  This was pretty disconcerting from the get-go as I was worried that I would open the box and find the putter utterly destroyed.  

The second reason this section is scored the lowest is the headcover.  I hate it. It looks cheap and does not match the sleek look of the putter itself.  I would have loved to see an all-leather cover with magnets in the clasp instead of the velcro.  Mine has started to fray a bit in places and has a thread coming loose already as well. Now I do understand that in order to place the TA3 at the price that they do TA has to make cuts in certain areas so if they do change the head cover then I expect the price will have to increase a bit.  The good news here is that you can easily buy a nice head cover that can even be customized that can fit this putter so this is certainly not a dealbreaker for me.  

I do have to praise TA for the stock grip on this club, the Winn flat pistol grip is sensational and is of high quality.  

1004636460_TA3stockwinnputtinggrip.jpg.59521b6a0b735ac3bb94c99c7580f9b2.jpg

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)

PLAY IT, PLAY IT, PLAY IT, PLAY IT.  I cannot say this enough I plan on having this in my bag for a very long time.  I have never putted this great in my time as a golfer and the TA3 is the reason for that.  The club exceeded my expectations in almost every capacity and checked off all three of the major performance metrics I outlined in my stage 1.  I cannot be happier to have had the opportunity to try this club out. I believe than any and all golfers should go and test one of these bad boys.  The only golfers I would warn to stay clear are those who put more of an arch in their putting stroke. This club is most definitely a SBST swing path.  

The Wrap-Up:

I began this review hopeful that I could alleviate some of my putting woes just by adding a club to my bag.  As I practiced with it and became familiar with it I began to realize THIS PUTTERS WORKS! I honestly cannot put my finger on any particular aspect of this putter that makes it as effective as it is other than the ball just goes into the hole.  I lowered my scoring average about 2 strokes and decreased my putts per round as well. The TA3 has allowed me to score more efficiently and become my confident and aggressive on the greens. The performance of the TA3 has also led to a desire to try out Tommy Armour irons, drivers, wedges and anything else they produce.  At the price point the TA3 is offered at and most putters hovering around $200 from the big companies the value is there. Want to knock some strokes off of your game? Go pick one up and give it a whirl, I am highly confident that you will not be disappointed. 

Final Score:  93 out of 100

Awesome review cuz and welcome to the TA3 groupees! 🏌️‍♂️

Cleveland

Stage 2 writing is up, having trouble posting images and video. Will try once again on home computer. Enjoy boys and girls!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Great reviews!

I'm struggling to get the distance right on the longer putts with the Tommy Armour putter. The face feels really soft (I normally play a Scotty Cameron Newport 2). Everything ends up short, any of you guys have the same problem? Think I need more time to adjust 😀