Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review- Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter

On 8/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, tomlvo said:

Great reviews!

I'm struggling to get the distance right on the longer putts with the Tommy Armour putter. The face feels really soft (I normally play a Scotty Cameron Newport 2). Everything ends up short, any of you guys have the same problem? Think I need more time to adjust 😀

I would have to say that the longer putts are not a leading metric for this putter but the overall performance on longer putts is not worse than anything else I have tried.  Like you, I left alot of longer putts short at first and I think this has to do with the small clubface and needing a bit more energy put into the ball to get it there. However, I did find that as I got more and more used to the putter I started to perform better from every distance.  It might just take some time to get the distances down. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Good work fellas. Just caught up with this one.

It is a fantastic product, honestly, I can see why it won back to back Most Wanted.  I was extremely impressed.

Just now, Shankster said:

I should give one a try. Can’t hurt my abnormally terrible putting.

Seriously, if it can help me it can help anyone.  

First eagle 🦅 courtesy of the TA3. On a downhill left to right breaker no less! Oh yea, and the eagle on 18 got me to 79 for the round. Loving this putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, TommyArmourGolf said:

Thanks again to all of the testers, we have really enjoyed reading the positive stage 2 comments, as well as the negatives we are working to improve.

@tchat07 - Hope you are seeing continued improvement in your strokes gained (at least on faster greens)! Keep us posted in further replies on your slow greens vs faster greens analysis if you can.

@skrupa15 - loved the myriad of data, even if your gamer had the slight edge in the SAM testing.  Good luck in your league championship with the TA3!

@HeathS16 - congrats on the low rounds of 2019, and the 3 birdies twice in a row.  For the call out on keeping simplicity, we have something in the works for 2020 that you may be interested in, stay tuned 🙂 

@jayjay0808 - great to hear that a long 20' putt ended the private brand stigma right off the bat, we always like hearing about changing expectations like this.  Also glad that the TA3 is paying its dues to help you bring in some $$$

Head cover - This is a pretty universal call out, and we understand the feelings that the quality is lacking here.  We are working on sourcing some better materials (including magnetic closures), for the next generation.

Lastly a special shout out to @fozcycle for using the black marker to hide scratches on the black putter shaft in a pinch.

Based on our own testing and hearing from players like you, we are actually sourcing a new black powder coat finish that will hold up significantly better to scratches and nicks.

Thank you all for your support!

-Tommy Armour Golf Team

Pretty cool to see the manufacturer out here reading what us the golfers are saying about their products. Also having the confidence to address the problems that have been mentioned rather than just brushing them off!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I picked up a TA3 this spring after trying it at DSG.  The putter was easy to start online and rolled the ball very true.  Was having trouble with my current Evnroll ER6 getting putts started on line having switched to this putter after a putting fitting the year before.

I liked the looks of the putter and the grip was good quality so no rush to change it.  The only thing that bothered me was the gold sight line.  I prefer white and figured I eventually would paint fill the line sometime in the future if I did not get used to it.  One small chip in the paint on the shaft so have no complaints.  Probably helps that I use a bag with 14 way full dividers.

Spent quite a bit of time practising with the putter.  Roll was very true just like my initial findings.  The problem I had was distance control.  I play on fast greens so this is critical for me to avoid 3 putts.  I was never able to get the distance control I needed with this putter. Never knew whether the putt would be short or blow past the hole.  It got to the point 5 or more 3 putts was common for a round.  Out of frustration I took my previous putter before the ER6 ( in my signature below) out one day with only 15 minutes on the practice green before playing.  That day I only had one 3 putt and have not had more than three 3 putts in a round since.  Also making more longer putts now as my ball holds my target line longer as the speed is better with the break of the putt.

Overall I think a great putter if you can control the speed.  I have had a similar problem with a SC Squareback as well as an Odyssey mallet.  Both rolled the ball well but I was never able to consistently control the speed and distance with either.  This is a problem I am more prone to.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

On 8/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, TommyArmourGolf said:

Thanks again to all of the testers, we have really enjoyed reading the positive stage 2 comments, as well as the negatives we are working to improve......

Head cover - This is a pretty universal call out, and we understand the feelings that the quality is lacking here.  We are working on sourcing some better materials (including magnetic closures), for the next generation.

Lastly a special shout out to @fozcycle for using the black marker to hide scratches on the black putter shaft in a pinch.

Based on our own testing and hearing from players like you, we are actually sourcing a new black powder coat finish that will hold up significantly better to scratches and nicks.

-Tommy Armour Golf Team

For the headcover issue, I gamed the My Golf Spy mallet headcover.....much much better.

as for the chips, my Cobra bag has a separate putter well that is lined at the top with rubber ridges....I guess the rubber ridges caused the chips.

BUT, the TA3 is still 8n the bag!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I went to get a new putter grip, walked over to the grip section with the TA putter in my hand.  

Not the Impact #3 though, I really preferred the feel, looks, and look at address of the Infusion:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/tommy-armour-mens-infusion-series-aero-cb-putter-19av3mt2019nfsnrcptr/19av3mt2019nfsnrcptr

Alas, I left it behind and got the new putter grip, it was money well spent.  My existing putter has never felt better. 

As to which one holes more putts... who knows.   Stoked to see some positive results here 🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

6 minutes ago, knightsofnii said:

I went to get a new putter grip, walked over to the grip section with the TA putter in my hand.  

Not the Impact #3 though, I really preferred the feel, looks, and look at address of the Infusion:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/tommy-armour-mens-infusion-series-aero-cb-putter-19av3mt2019nfsnrcptr/19av3mt2019nfsnrcptr

Alas, I left it behind and got the new putter grip, it was money well spent.  My existing putter has never felt better. 

As to which one holes more putts... who knows.   Stoked to see some positive results here 🙂

Certainly has a nice looking face and it looks like they did a good job on upgrading the headcover.

I like where they're going with their putter line!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Certainly has a nice looking face and it looks like they did a good job on upgrading the headcover.

I like where they're going with their putter line!

Is the Infusion a newer putter than the Impact?  

I know the price is a few bucks more... not enough to scare me away though! 🙂 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

1 minute ago, knightsofnii said:

Is the Infusion a newer putter than the Impact?  

I know the price is a few bucks more... not enough to scare me away though! 🙂 

Not sure...this is the first I've heard of it and/or seen it.  

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

My TA #3 was pure gold today as I felt like I was in total control on the greens.  I recently put a superstroke slim on Tommy and he's cooking with Crisco. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My TA #3 was pure gold today as I felt like I was in total control on the greens.  I recently put a superstroke slim on Tommy and he's cooking with Crisco. 

Still eyeballin this thread lol
Keep rolling the rock dude

Tazz
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Still loving the TA3 chalk up another eagle 🦅

Had a great game with my new Impact 3 in last Thursday's scramble. Made five putts, two for my teams only birdies, one from at least 20 feet. Just missed a couple of other birdie putts, one stopping just a couple of inches short of the hole and another long one that broke left right at the hole.

I had been playing milled blade putters because I liked the sleeker look of a blade, but lacked control in my stroke. The TA3 seems to have fixed that. So far, loving this putter. If this keeps up I might have to give it the MGS headcover treatment.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

Had a great game with my new Impact 3 in last Thursday's scramble. Made five putts, two for my teams only birdies, one from at least 20 feet. Just missed a couple of other birdie putts, one stopping just a couple of inches short of the hole and another long one that broke left right at the hole.

I had been playing milled blade putters because I liked the sleeker look of a blade, but lacked control in my stroke. The TA3 seems to have fixed that. So far, loving this putter. If this keeps up I might have to give it the MGS headcover treatment.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Glad to hear another Spy is liking the TA3! Like I’ve said before this thing WORKS!

Have an old Ping Anser 2 I've been gaming and tried the TA#3 at a DSG the other day - felt great and rolled true in the store, however I like the look and feel of a blade. 

Anyone compared this to the Cleveland TFI 2135? About the same price point and results from MGS testing shows about the same make % for both. Welcome your thoughts!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Class move Tommy Armour! Thanks for allowing us to test such a great putter!

Thanks again to all of the testers, we have really enjoyed reading the positive stage 2 comments, as well as the negatives we are working to improve.
[mention=72268]tchat07[/mention] - Hope you are seeing continued improvement in your strokes gained (at least on faster greens)! Keep us posted in further replies on your slow greens vs faster greens analysis if you can.
[mention=69557]skrupa15[/mention] - loved the myriad of data, even if your gamer had the slight edge in the SAM testing.  Good luck in your league championship with the TA3!
[mention=64755]HeathS16[/mention] - congrats on the low rounds of 2019, and the 3 birdies twice in a row.  For the call out on keeping simplicity, we have something in the works for 2020 that you may be interested in, stay tuned  
[mention=55208]jayjay0808[/mention] - great to hear that a long 20' putt ended the private brand stigma right off the bat, we always like hearing about changing expectations like this.  Also glad that the TA3 is paying its dues to help you bring in some $$$
Lastly a special shout out to [mention=156]fozcycle[/mention] for using the black marker to hide scratches on the black putter shaft in a pinch.
-Tommy Armour Golf Team

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Some great reviews so far and I hope you guys wont mind me chiming in, as Ive been gaming a TA Impact #3 since July.  During that time, Ive also dabbled with a Wilson 8802, Cameron Detour and Titleist Bullseye for comparison.

Ive never really been a huge mallet putter guy because Ive felt like they lack feel but Ive learned to adjust to the different feel of the mallet and I like the aiming aids and forgivness of it.  I feel like even if my stroke is a little off, the putter will still put a good roll on the ball.

Aiming is the same for me, after gaming the Impact for a while and then going to the 8802 or Bullseye, I feel like I cant aim and have no confidence on where the ball is going to go.  With the Impact, I can line it up with the hole and be confident that if I make a good stroke, the ball has nowhere to go but in the hole.

Im having no issues with finish wear.

Id echo the complaints of the others with the headcover.  Is it kind of cheap looking but its just a headcover.  I could say thats my knock on TA's clubs: their headcovers are just OK.  The clubs themselves are awesome though, so I can put up with a just OK headcover.  Ive got an Atomic 5-wood too and as soon as I got home, the factory headcover came off and an aftermarket one went on.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Some great reviews so far and I hope you guys wont mind me chiming in, as Ive been gaming a TA Impact #3 since July.  During that time, Ive also dabbled with a Wilson 8802, Cameron Detour and Titleist Bullseye for comparison.
Ive never really been a huge mallet putter guy because Ive felt like they lack feel but Ive learned to adjust to the different feel of the mallet and I like the aiming aids and forgivness of it.  I feel like even if my stroke is a little off, the putter will still put a good roll on the ball.
Aiming is the same for me, after gaming the Impact for a while and then going to the 8802 or Bullseye, I feel like I cant aim and have no confidence on where the ball is going to go.  With the Impact, I can line it up with the hole and be confident that if I make a good stroke, the ball has nowhere to go but in the hole.
Im having no issues with finish wear.
Id echo the complaints of the others with the headcover.  Is it kind of cheap looking but its just a headcover.  I could say thats my knock on TA's clubs: their headcovers are just OK.  The clubs themselves are awesome though, so I can put up with a just OK headcover.  Ive got an Atomic 5-wood too and as soon as I got home, the factory headcover came off and an aftermarket one went on.

Like I said in my review when the head over is my main complaint the company has made a GREAT club. Glad you’re also enjoying the TA3 it really is a game changer!

Like I said in my review when the head over is my main complaint the company has made a GREAT club. Glad you’re also enjoying the TA3 it really is a game changer!

Amen to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I added the TA3 to my bag a few months ago and have really enjoyed having it in my bag.  I can't say that I'm making more putts per round definitively as I don't have enough rounds in Arccos to track that, but I will say that in one of my recent practice sessions, I made 27 3' putts in a row.  My previous high was 12.

That has helped increase my confidence and plant in my head that I can make putts and has probably helped me make more putts than before.

Confidence is a funny thing ain't it.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 1 month later...

Figured I would give an update on the TA3. Since the beginning of school I haven’t had much time to practice so my game has slipped quite a bit. Got to play last week and on a day where literally EVERYTHING went wrong my putting was at least respectable. 32 putts but shot a 94...so yea TA3 is still the gamer!

14 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

Figured I would give an update on the TA3. Since the beginning of school I haven’t had much time to practice so my game has slipped quite a bit. Got to play last week and on a day where literally EVERYTHING went wrong my putting was at least respectable. 32 putts but shot a 94...so yea TA3 is still the gamer!

It's still my main squeeze too 😍

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• STUDque unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, is this putter bendable? I am really interested in the club but I normally game a 33 inch putter. I find anything longer and I get a serious case of toe-up at address. I was thinking if I picked this up I'd have to adjust the lie angle to be a little flatter to avoid the toe-up.  

Hey guys, is this putter bendable? I am really interested in the club but I normally game a 33 inch putter. I find anything longer and I get a serious case of toe-up at address. I was thinking if I picked this up I'd have to adjust the lie angle to be a little flatter to avoid the toe-up.  

Putters are adjustable including double bend shafts. Just find someone experienced so they don’t crimp the shaft while bending.

Sounds like based on your post that at 33” the standard lie angle is correct; why not just cut it down?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG