Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review- Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter

Thanks for the quick responses. I've always been wary of cutting down putter shafts as it can throw off the swing weight? Do you then just tinker with lead tape to get the feel back?

My current 33 inch gamer still has a bit of toe-up but i've been consciously working on trying to stand up a little straighter over the ball to fix it, although if I lose focus I go back to my old habits and slouch a bit and then the toe up returns.  Ideally I'd get a fitting but we just have golftown here and it seems nobody really offers putter fitting in my area.

If you don't think it would mess with the weight feeling too much i'm not against just cutting down an inch (and then potentially another 1/2 inch) to get it to sit flush at address. 

Thanks for the quick responses. I've always been wary of cutting down putter shafts as it can throw off the swing weight? Do you then just tinker with lead tape to get the feel back?

My current 33 inch gamer still has a bit of toe-up but i've been consciously working on trying to stand up a little straighter over the ball to fix it, although if I lose focus I go back to my old habits and slouch a bit and then the toe up returns.  Ideally I'd get a fitting but we just have golftown here and it seems nobody really offers putter fitting in my area.
If you don't think it would mess with the weight feeling too much i'm not against just cutting down an inch (and then potentially another 1/2 inch) to get it to sit flush at address. 

Some manufacturers vary headweight with shorter shafts, others just use the same head with no swingweight alterations.

Will the swingweight change impact you? Only you can answer that. I don’t typically notice a change, but a little leadtape would bring up the swingweight if you needed to.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Fair point. I should have included this originally I am in Canada and can only order off golfworks.ca and only with options for 34/35/38 inches so i'd be cutting down after the fact, not straight from the manufacturer so the head weight wouldn't be "optimized", per-say, to a 33 inch shaft.  edit to finish the thought: so that being said I would likely just cut it down, see if i notice any real difference that bothers me and then tinker accordingly if needed. 

Edited by mattHFX

Fair point. I should have included this originally I am in Canada and can only order off golfworks.ca and only with options for 34/35/38 inches so i'd be cutting down after the fact, not straight from the manufacturer so the head weight wouldn't be "optimized", per-say, to a 33 inch shaft.  edit to finish the thought: so that being said I would likely just cut it down, see if i notice any real difference that bothers me and then tinker accordingly if needed. 

Order the 34 and cut it down an inch. I doubt tommy armour has variable weight heads.

Also remember If you put a lighter grip on, you can increase swingweight and If you put on a heavier grip you decrease.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 months later...

So wanted to give a 1 year update (yes I am a few days late haha). Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 is still in the bag! Cannot find anything that gives me the same comfort. We have had our "disagreements" over the past year but it's such a solid club I cannot bring myself to remove it. Actually just added another to the family, my dad asked for it for his birthday after liking trying mine. Added my own personal touch to the club by paint filling the inside portion to have my initials most visible. 1593546368711~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So wanted to give a 1 year update (yes I am a few days late haha). Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 is still in the bag! Cannot find anything that gives me the same comfort. We have had our "disagreements" over the past year but it's such a solid club I cannot bring myself to remove it. Actually just added another to the family, my dad asked for it for his birthday after liking trying mine. Added my own personal touch to the club by paint filling the inside portion to have my initials most visible. 1598582645_15935463687112.jpeg.0f5ac97f35ac85283084b3e7b8506e2e.jpeg

That looks pretty good! Mine is still in the bag too! Only thing different is I ditched the head cover ASAP and got something a bit more fitting...
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Haha I did the exact same thing! 756499336_15935575410362.jpeg.416f04a54454426053a44e70a5fdb984.jpeg

That is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)