Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review- Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter

Our Sponsors

Have an old Ping Anser 2 I've been gaming and tried the TA#3 at a DSG the other day - felt great and rolled true in the store, however I like the look and feel of a blade. 

Anyone compared this to the Cleveland TFI 2135? About the same price point and results from MGS testing shows about the same make % for both. Welcome your thoughts!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:titelist-small: 975D 10.5*

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon Woods (3/5)

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Class move Tommy Armour! Thanks for allowing us to test such a great putter!

Thanks again to all of the testers, we have really enjoyed reading the positive stage 2 comments, as well as the negatives we are working to improve.
[mention=72268]tchat07[/mention] - Hope you are seeing continued improvement in your strokes gained (at least on faster greens)! Keep us posted in further replies on your slow greens vs faster greens analysis if you can.
[mention=69557]skrupa15[/mention] - loved the myriad of data, even if your gamer had the slight edge in the SAM testing.  Good luck in your league championship with the TA3!
[mention=64755]HeathS16[/mention] - congrats on the low rounds of 2019, and the 3 birdies twice in a row.  For the call out on keeping simplicity, we have something in the works for 2020 that you may be interested in, stay tuned  
[mention=55208]jayjay0808[/mention] - great to hear that a long 20' putt ended the private brand stigma right off the bat, we always like hearing about changing expectations like this.  Also glad that the TA3 is paying its dues to help you bring in some $$$
Head cover - This is a pretty universal call out, and we understand the feelings that the quality is lacking here.  We are working on sourcing some better materials (including magnetic closures), for the next generation.
Lastly a special shout out to [mention=156]fozcycle[/mention] for using the black marker to hide scratches on the black putter shaft in a pinch.
Based on our own testing and hearing from players like you, we are actually sourcing a new black powder coat finish that will hold up significantly better to scratches and nicks.
Thank you all for your support!
-Tommy Armour Golf Team

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Some great reviews so far and I hope you guys wont mind me chiming in, as Ive been gaming a TA Impact #3 since July.  During that time, Ive also dabbled with a Wilson 8802, Cameron Detour and Titleist Bullseye for comparison.

Ive never really been a huge mallet putter guy because Ive felt like they lack feel but Ive learned to adjust to the different feel of the mallet and I like the aiming aids and forgivness of it.  I feel like even if my stroke is a little off, the putter will still put a good roll on the ball.

Aiming is the same for me, after gaming the Impact for a while and then going to the 8802 or Bullseye, I feel like I cant aim and have no confidence on where the ball is going to go.  With the Impact, I can line it up with the hole and be confident that if I make a good stroke, the ball has nowhere to go but in the hole.

Im having no issues with finish wear.

Id echo the complaints of the others with the headcover.  Is it kind of cheap looking but its just a headcover.  I could say thats my knock on TA's clubs: their headcovers are just OK.  The clubs themselves are awesome though, so I can put up with a just OK headcover.  Ive got an Atomic 5-wood too and as soon as I got home, the factory headcover came off and an aftermarket one went on.

• Like 2

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Some great reviews so far and I hope you guys wont mind me chiming in, as Ive been gaming a TA Impact #3 since July.  During that time, Ive also dabbled with a Wilson 8802, Cameron Detour and Titleist Bullseye for comparison.
Ive never really been a huge mallet putter guy because Ive felt like they lack feel but Ive learned to adjust to the different feel of the mallet and I like the aiming aids and forgivness of it.  I feel like even if my stroke is a little off, the putter will still put a good roll on the ball.
Aiming is the same for me, after gaming the Impact for a while and then going to the 8802 or Bullseye, I feel like I cant aim and have no confidence on where the ball is going to go.  With the Impact, I can line it up with the hole and be confident that if I make a good stroke, the ball has nowhere to go but in the hole.
Im having no issues with finish wear.
Id echo the complaints of the others with the headcover.  Is it kind of cheap looking but its just a headcover.  I could say thats my knock on TA's clubs: their headcovers are just OK.  The clubs themselves are awesome though, so I can put up with a just OK headcover.  Ive got an Atomic 5-wood too and as soon as I got home, the factory headcover came off and an aftermarket one went on.

Like I said in my review when the head over is my main complaint the company has made a GREAT club. Glad you’re also enjoying the TA3 it really is a game changer!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

Like I said in my review when the head over is my main complaint the company has made a GREAT club. Glad you’re also enjoying the TA3 it really is a game changer!

Amen to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 15*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I added the TA3 to my bag a few months ago and have really enjoyed having it in my bag.  I can't say that I'm making more putts per round definitively as I don't have enough rounds in Arccos to track that, but I will say that in one of my recent practice sessions, I made 27 3' putts in a row.  My previous high was 12.

That has helped increase my confidence and plant in my head that I can make putts and has probably helped me make more putts than before.

Confidence is a funny thing ain't it.

• Like 4

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Figured I would give an update on the TA3. Since the beginning of school I haven’t had much time to practice so my game has slipped quite a bit. Got to play last week and on a day where literally EVERYTHING went wrong my putting was at least respectable. 32 putts but shot a 94...so yea TA3 is still the gamer!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

Figured I would give an update on the TA3. Since the beginning of school I haven’t had much time to practice so my game has slipped quite a bit. Got to play last week and on a day where literally EVERYTHING went wrong my putting was at least respectable. 32 putts but shot a 94...so yea TA3 is still the gamer!

It's still my main squeeze too 😍

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56  
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Hey guys, is this putter bendable? I am really interested in the club but I normally game a 33 inch putter. I find anything longer and I get a serious case of toe-up at address. I was thinking if I picked this up I'd have to adjust the lie angle to be a little flatter to avoid the toe-up.  

Hey guys, is this putter bendable? I am really interested in the club but I normally game a 33 inch putter. I find anything longer and I get a serious case of toe-up at address. I was thinking if I picked this up I'd have to adjust the lie angle to be a little flatter to avoid the toe-up.  

Putters are adjustable including double bend shafts. Just find someone experienced so they don’t crimp the shaft while bending.

Sounds like based on your post that at 33” the standard lie angle is correct; why not just cut it down?

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for the quick responses. I've always been wary of cutting down putter shafts as it can throw off the swing weight? Do you then just tinker with lead tape to get the feel back?

My current 33 inch gamer still has a bit of toe-up but i've been consciously working on trying to stand up a little straighter over the ball to fix it, although if I lose focus I go back to my old habits and slouch a bit and then the toe up returns.  Ideally I'd get a fitting but we just have golftown here and it seems nobody really offers putter fitting in my area.

If you don't think it would mess with the weight feeling too much i'm not against just cutting down an inch (and then potentially another 1/2 inch) to get it to sit flush at address. 

Thanks for the quick responses. I've always been wary of cutting down putter shafts as it can throw off the swing weight? Do you then just tinker with lead tape to get the feel back?

My current 33 inch gamer still has a bit of toe-up but i've been consciously working on trying to stand up a little straighter over the ball to fix it, although if I lose focus I go back to my old habits and slouch a bit and then the toe up returns.  Ideally I'd get a fitting but we just have golftown here and it seems nobody really offers putter fitting in my area.
If you don't think it would mess with the weight feeling too much i'm not against just cutting down an inch (and then potentially another 1/2 inch) to get it to sit flush at address. 

Some manufacturers vary headweight with shorter shafts, others just use the same head with no swingweight alterations.

Will the swingweight change impact you? Only you can answer that. I don’t typically notice a change, but a little leadtape would bring up the swingweight if you needed to.

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Posted (edited)

Fair point. I should have included this originally I am in Canada and can only order off golfworks.ca and only with options for 34/35/38 inches so i'd be cutting down after the fact, not straight from the manufacturer so the head weight wouldn't be "optimized", per-say, to a 33 inch shaft.  edit to finish the thought: so that being said I would likely just cut it down, see if i notice any real difference that bothers me and then tinker accordingly if needed. 

Edited by mattHFX

Fair point. I should have included this originally I am in Canada and can only order off golfworks.ca and only with options for 34/35/38 inches so i'd be cutting down after the fact, not straight from the manufacturer so the head weight wouldn't be "optimized", per-say, to a 33 inch shaft.  edit to finish the thought: so that being said I would likely just cut it down, see if i notice any real difference that bothers me and then tinker accordingly if needed. 

Order the 34 and cut it down an inch. I doubt tommy armour has variable weight heads.

Also remember If you put a lighter grip on, you can increase swingweight and If you put on a heavier grip you decrease.

So wanted to give a 1 year update (yes I am a few days late haha). Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 is still in the bag! Cannot find anything that gives me the same comfort. We have had our "disagreements" over the past year but it's such a solid club I cannot bring myself to remove it. Actually just added another to the family, my dad asked for it for his birthday after liking trying mine. Added my own personal touch to the club by paint filling the inside portion to have my initials most visible. 1593546368711~2.jpeg

• Like 2

So wanted to give a 1 year update (yes I am a few days late haha). Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 is still in the bag! Cannot find anything that gives me the same comfort. We have had our "disagreements" over the past year but it's such a solid club I cannot bring myself to remove it. Actually just added another to the family, my dad asked for it for his birthday after liking trying mine. Added my own personal touch to the club by paint filling the inside portion to have my initials most visible. 1598582645_15935463687112.jpeg.0f5ac97f35ac85283084b3e7b8506e2e.jpeg

That looks pretty good! Mine is still in the bag too! Only thing different is I ditched the head cover ASAP and got something a bit more fitting...
IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG

That looks pretty good! Mine is still in the bag too! Only thing different is I ditched the head cover ASAP and got something a bit more fitting...
IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.27437ffc879f81655a444545100b951d.JPG
IMG_1844.thumb.JPG.acdb2340f85b188c6def59f8eccaf7bd.JPG

Haha I did the exact same thing! 1593557541036~2.jpeg

• Like 1

Haha I did the exact same thing! 756499336_15935575410362.jpeg.416f04a54454426053a44e70a5fdb984.jpeg

That is beautiful!

• Like 1