STUDque

#NoPuttsGiven Ep5  

588 members have voted

1. 1. Is Wilson Back?

• Yes
    • No
    • We'll See
    • Don't call it a comeback
  2. 2. Do you like the look of the new Titleist irons?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is music on the course ok?

• Yes
    • No

On this week's episode of No Putts Given, the guys tackle topics like Wilson's return to prominence, first impressions on the new Titleist irons, and music on the course. 

Full Podcast: CLICK HERE

So what do you think? Voice your opinion in the polls provided (not available in app). 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Its a great week for Wilson. In my mind they need to sign another young marketable staffer snd then you can say back, or on their way back.   I votes we’ll see. 

Music on the course is fine by me, as long as its Country or Classic Rock and not loud enough to hear two fairways away. 

New Titleist irons?   Come on.....look who you’re talking to here 😍

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Don't call it a comeback. They've been here for years. Loved seeing the Wilson logo all over the TV. The flat brim... eh, not so much 😄

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm playing 2 W/S clubs right now and have a W/S Nexus bag.  Love the looks of G Wood's irons; wish I could play them.

Music is fine as long as I can't hear it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wilson never left, they just can't make drivers worth anyone's time. Titleist irons are ok, but could be better - MB's are absolute money!!! Music on the course is going to happen whether people want it to or not. Anyone shouting it down will only prove to the next generation of golfers that it's an old man's game and they need not bother. That said, those who play music on the course should be respectful with it. Keep the volume at a reasonable level so that you aren't disturbing those on an adjacent hole and turn it down or pause when playing through or letting someone else play through your group.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

That said, those who play music on the course should be respectful with it. Keep the volume at a reasonable level so that you aren't disturbing those on an adjacent hole and turn it down or pause when playing through or letting someone else play through your group.

And there's my issue with music on the course. Almost every one I've heard with music on the course is blaring it out loud for all and sundry to hear it. Turn it down, you're not at a concert or wear ear buds.

And get off my bloody lawn!!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I don’t think Wilson are back, but I do think they are coming back. They make some top quality irons no doubt and make a decent enough ball. If they would just focus their resources into serious, quality products across the board (drivers, woods, wedges, putters) instead of gimmicky, cheaper products, I think they could easily be a serious player in the equipment world again.

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

Wilson .... doubtful.  Just because the one guy who plays those irons happens to win the US Open, doesn't mean they are on a comeback.  But time will tell.

Titleist irons ... look who you are talking to!?  I'm the biggest Titleist homer E V E R!  So yes, I like the irons.  All except for the T300 (AP1 replacements) which makes sense because I've never liked the AP1.  Now the T100 (AP2's) or the CB's or MB's .... now these are money!  I will game any of those.  I definitely see a combo set in my future.  Titleist Thursday's are going to be fun this fall.  

Music on the course .... I don't care for it honestly.  Call me a purist, or whatever but music has no place on the golf course.  If you like only Country or RAP, and that's all you listen to ... why would I want to hear it, especially if I like Classic Rock?  Bottom line is you're not going to make everyone happy.  There are bound to be people in your group (or even in the fairway over) that don't want to hear your music.  If you insist on doing so, be kind enough to turn it down if someone asks you to.  Or turn it off at tee boxes where everyone can hear it.  Not sure everyone wants to tee off with N.W.A. playing in the background.  Just don't be a Richard about it. 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of those Wilson Staff blades when they release in left handed later in the year. I saw a review from Mike Newton a couple of months ago and he raved about them.   I still practice with my Dad's old Staff Fluid Feel blades from the 80's and hit them well down to about the 5 iron.  I use hybrids below 6 in my regular set already because I hit them much higher and softer with my 95 mph driver SS.  I'm thinking to game a 6-PW set and play some blades while I still can.

Wilson - they're on the upswing, but I think it will take a sales success of a driver to really say "they're back"

Titleist Irons - I think they look fine.  Looks are so subjective though.

Music - This is a tough one to strike a good balance.  One doesn't want to be a curmudgeonly "old man" about it.  Everyone enjoys the game differently and if music is a part of that, that's great.  Personally, I don't want to hear your music.  It's not the manner in which I enjoy playing the game.  As has been said, be respectful and turn it down.  Unfortunately relying on the general public to be self-policing, respectful to others, and to exercise common courtesy quite often ends in disappointment.  How about a good old 20ft test as a solution?  If you can hear it from 20 feet away, it's too loud.

Music on the course.

I don't listen to it personally, and not encountered, or at least heard,  anyone yet with it on.

In principal have no issue with others listening as long as the volume is kept respectful, each to their own etc.

Safety however could be an important issue. Can you hear someone shout 'FORE' clearly if you have music on?  Especially with headphones?  Was it a shout or the lyrics?

Also, my course has several bells and it can be difficult at times to hear them clearly if there is a stiff breeze, music could make that even harder.

2 hours ago, cynogriffin said:

I don’t think Wilson are back, but I do think they are coming back. They make some top quality irons no doubt and make a decent enough ball. If they would just focus their resources into serious, quality products across the board (drivers, woods, wedges, putters) instead of gimmicky, cheaper products, I think they could easily be a serious player in the equipment world again.

Golfers complain that W/S doesn't have visibility and that's why they're not as popular as they once was. So W/S gets a show on GC to show driver design and make it fun... and they get called gimmicky.

I don't get it. 

I haven't even listed to the pod/watched the video yet (am about to) but I can already say that the Wilson irons are some of the best and most underrated on the market.... on a previous NPG video I heard @Tony Covey MGS say something to this effect.  That ever since the FG Tour v2 all the way through the v6 those were some of the best performing and consistent irons in the most wanted testing....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

The AP1/AP2 line has been around for a while and is such a beloved iron by many players that it will take a while to replace it... kind of reminds me of the Ping Eye 2 that some guys are still playing today.  That being said I do like the way the new irons look but YOU NEVER BUY A CLUB BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT LOOKS.... (did I say that loud enough? 😉)

Music ... I don't mind it... when I'm playing by myself and walking I'll turn on music on my phone while I'm walking along and keep the volume low enough so I'm the only one who hears it.
I kind of relate it to music in your car... as long as you can respect the other people around you then go for it.  Just like the dude that "rocks his bass" in the car with the windows down at 800 decibels, don't come rolling up on me with your UA BOOM blasting... have some respect for the people around you.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Golfers complain that W/S doesn't have visibility and that's why they're not as popular as they once was. So W/S gets a show on GC to show driver design and make it fun... and they get called gimmicky.

I don't get it. 

Gimmicky because the driver doesn't perform. If Wilson put the same amount of resources as they did in a TV show into a dedicated R&D team who put as much research, development, and effort into their other clubs as they do their irons, they would be able to produce a quality product that performs as good as the best today. Wilson's irons are a good product and people know that and consider them a serious option and product, but all their other offerings are a joke. If Wilson wants "visibility" they will put up a product that compares to or beats your Taylormade, Callaway, or Titleist clubs. People will notice then.  

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Gimmicky because the driver doesn't perform. If Wilson put the same amount of resources as they did in a TV show and had a dedicated R&D team who put as much research, development, and effort into their other clubs as they do their irons, they would be able to produce a quality product that performs as good as the best today. Wilson's irons are a good product and people know that and consider them a serious option and product, but all their other offerings are a joke. If Wilson wants "visibility" they will put up a product that compares to or beats your Taylormade, Callaway, or Titleist clubs. People will notice then.  

Last I checked the PMP wedges and Infinite series putters were far from being a “joke”.

You don’t like the drivers. Understandable. The Triton USGA issue was a problem as was the sound. However to classify anything not an iron as a joke or a gimmick is shortsighted and disingenuous at best. The D and C line drivers are far from being gimmicky or jokes.

If you want to talk W/S issues, start with distribution and then we can have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Last I checked the PMP wedges and Infinite series putters were far from being a “joke”.

You don’t like the drivers. Understandable. The Triton USGA issue was a problem as was the sound. However to classify anything not an iron as a joke or a gimmick is shortsighted and disingenuous at best. The D and C line drivers are far from being gimmicky or jokes.

If you want to talk W/S issues, start with distribution and then we can have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is, they are not serious options that compete with the field. For instance, why did you buy a Cleveland putter and wedge instead of a Wilson? Or Callaway woods and wedge? Or a Cobra driver? Because the Wilson options in the same categories don't compare. If they did, people (and Tour players) would use them and tout them as quality products. The only clubs the 5 whole Wilson staffers are using that are actually Wilson clubs are the irons and the wedges. NOT ONE Wilson staffer is using a Wilson wood (driver or fairways). The few people that get payed to play Wilson won't even touch their woods. That make the clubs a joke in my book. I agree the D7 was a step in the right direction, but once again it's not a result of a TV show. The Cortex was a gimmick. A driver produced from a "Golf Channel show to show design and make it fun" is the definition of a gimmick, which was my point. Not that every club they produce is a gimmick. The other clubs they produce just don't perform or compare to industry leaders and that's where they need to invest their resources if they want to compete and be taken seriously again.

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

8 minutes ago, cynogriffin said:

My point is, they are not serious options that compete with the field. For instance, why did you buy a Cleveland putter and wedge instead of a Wilson? Or Callaway woods and wedge? Or a Cobra driver? Because the Wilson options in the same categories don't compare. 

Actually, I have them because either A) I got them used/on closeout for a great price, or B) because W/S distribution is their biggest issue and I couldn't find those clubs locally to purchase.

Enjoy the rest of your day. 

I’m puzzled by the strong response in favor of music on the course. Two-thirds listen to music on the course themselves? Two-thirds don’t mind having to listen to other peoples’ music while playing? In theory, if I can’t hear your music it doesn’t exist so I don’t mind. In practice, just about everyone who feels that a round of golf is lacking without tunes seems to leave the volume on 11 and it pisses me right off. It’s noise pollution: self-indulgent, anti-social, the golf equivalent of rolling coal. 

3 hours ago, howellhandmade said:

I’m puzzled by the strong response in favor of music on the course. Two-thirds listen to music on the course themselves? Two-thirds don’t mind having to listen to other peoples’ music while playing? In theory, if I can’t hear your music it doesn’t exist so I don’t mind. In practice, just about everyone who feels that a round of golf is lacking without tunes seems to leave the volume on 11 and it pisses me right off. It’s noise pollution: self-indulgent, anti-social, the golf equivalent of rolling coal. 

I don’t even know what that last part means.  

But I have a feeling a lot more people listen to music then you realize.  They keep it at a reasoable level.  The volume 11 whatever that is—but it must be high since you complained—-is a true rarity. 

I ride our course backwards several times a week.  When i hear groups with music, its only after i have pulled right up to their cart   I didnt hear it from 59 yards away, let alone 2 fairways over  

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

But I have a feeling a lot more people listen to music then you realize.  They keep it at a reasoable level.  The volume 11 whatever that is—but it must be high since you complained—-is a true rarity. 

I ride our course backwards several times a week.  When i hear groups with music, its only after i have pulled right up to their cart   I didnt hear it from 59 yards away, let alone 2 fairways over  

I was kind of amazed at how many Bluetooth speakers I saw in carts last week at a scramble I played in. Yet I didn't hear music once out on the course, and we're talking 4 carts on each hole minimum on a fairly tight course. 

I walked up on a 3some last weekend and the music was blaring...middle aged (same as me) guys too.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 3-5 years courses will have new golf carts with bluetooth enabled speakers integrated in them.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

All right, I’ll explain the last part. “Rolling coal” is when drivers of diesel pickups modify their fuel systems in order to purposely emit large clouds of sooty exhaust. If you search YouTube there are plenty of illustrations; a favorite pastime of coal rollers is to get in front of, say, a Prius and engulf it. 

Turned up to 11 is a reference to the movie Spinal Tap, I suppose I’m dating myself one direction or the other.

What you say about more people listening to music than I realize may very well be true. Or it may be that the golfers at your course are somewhat more considerate than the ones at mine. Or that the topography of your course better isolates holes acoustically. There have been rounds where the group in front or behind mine played music that was only inaudible when the course put several hundred yards or a hill between us. All of which is moot if we agree that music that IS loud enough to reach (and annoy) other groups, no matter how common or uncommon it is, qualifies as bad manners.

As with many things, there is a line: alcohol on the course, fine. Becoming intoxicated and obnoxious, not fine. Enjoying the social aspect of a round of golf, fine. Letting a gap open up and refusing to let faster groups through, not fine. At least, that’s what I think. I suppose what constitutes a reasonable volume level, or degree of intoxication, or pace of play, is subjective and personal. Slow players never think they are slow, misbehaving drunks just think they’re entitled to have a little fun, and so with music.

10 minutes ago, howellhandmade said:

All right, I’ll explain the last part. “Rolling coal” is when drivers of diesel pickups modify their fuel systems in order to purposely emit large clouds of sooty exhaust. If you search YouTube there are plenty of illustrations; a favorite pastime of coal rollers is to get in front of, say, a Prius and engulf it. 

Turned up to 11 is a reference to the movie Spinal Tap, I suppose I’m dating myself one direction or the other.

What you say about more people listening to music than I realize may very well be true. Or it may be that the golfers at your course are somewhat more considerate than the ones at mine. Or that the topography of your course better isolates holes acoustically. There have been rounds where the group in front or behind mine played music that was only inaudible when the course put several hundred yards or a hill between us. All of which is moot if we agree that music that IS loud enough to reach (and annoy) other groups, no matter how common or uncommon it is, qualifies as bad manners.

As with many things, there is a line: alcohol on the course, fine. Becoming intoxicated and obnoxious, not fine. Enjoying the social aspect of a round of golf, fine. Letting a gap open up and refusing to let faster groups through, not fine. At least, that’s what I think. I suppose what constitutes a reasonable volume level, or degree of intoxication, or pace of play, is subjective and personal. Slow players never think they are slow, misbehaving drunks just think they’re entitled to have a little fun, and so with music.

Well said!  Couldn't agree more...  

Not looking to take the fun out of things (or be mister get-off-my-lawn) but have some respect for other people and it's all good.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

11 hours ago, howellhandmade said:

Ah. Thanks for the explanation on both.  I've seen the trucks your talking about, but didn't know the term.   And While I'm squareky in the age demographic of Spinal Tap, it wasn't on my radar. 

You make a solid point about a line with everything.  Matter of fact I see plenty more issues with abuse of alcohol on our course than the music.  But I guess it varies from course to course. 

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ah. Thanks for the explanation on both.  I've seen the trucks your talking about, but didn't know the term.   And While I'm squareky in the age demographic of Spinal Tap, it wasn't on my radar. 

You make a solid point about a line with everything.  Matter of fact I see plenty more issues with abuse of alcohol on our course than the music.  But I guess it varies from course to course. 

Agreed. I'd rather a couple of carts roll up behind us who are blaring music than a group of drunks who think it's hilarious to hit into us and scream that they're gonna come kick our butts when we turn around and glare at them. 

I love music.  I've spent more on stereo equipment & music than the GDP of some third world nations. But the golf course, to me, is the last place to find peace & quiet. After a long hectic week of work there is nothing more peaceful than walking up a fairway to a green with the sun on your face, the wind blowing through the tree tops and the bird singing. I just don't want to hear someone's music, cell phone ringing or talking on your phone. Sorry, call me a "get off my lawn guy" if you want, I'm okay with that.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...

I.m older...been called cranky, lol....definitely a traditionalist......Wilson..maybe good for Wilson.....Titleist new irons look good....music on the course...is that even a question...save the music for a night club, beach or a concert....correct I voted NO !!!!!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S