TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

As I mentioned earlier in this thread that I play the Z-Star.  Based on your reviews, I did try the XV during my round Saturday.  The interesting thing with my round Saturday was that I did it playing irons only.  I was teeing off with a 5 iron max, and working my way around from there.  I started off with the XV and immediately noticed my typical distances were way off.  The XV was a lot longer than the Z-Star.  I did notice that that the XV had more roll out on the fairway and greens.  I ended up switching back to the Z-Star after about 4-5 holes.  I just like the feel better and that it held the greens better on approach shots.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

As I mentioned earlier in this thread that I play the Z-Star.  Based on your reviews, I did try the XV during my round Saturday.  The interesting thing with my round Saturday was that I did it playing irons only.  I was teeing off with a 5 iron max, and working my way around from there.  I started off with the XV and immediately noticed my typical distances were way off.  The XV was a lot longer than the Z-Star.  I did notice that that the XV had more roll out on the fairway and greens.  I ended up switching back to the Z-Star after about 4-5 holes.  I just like the feel better and that it held the greens better on approach shots.

That's really interesting. I have seen only neglible differences between the two in terms of irons. I have noticed the XV being a bit longer than the Z Star mostly due to a decrease in spin (a difference of a couple hundred revs). That just proves once again the importance of fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

9 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

That's really interesting. I have seen only neglible differences between the two in terms of irons. I have noticed the XV being a bit longer than the Z Star mostly due to a decrease in spin (a difference of a couple hundred revs). That just proves once again the importance of fitting.

100% agree!  With the XV there were definitely greens that I flew rather than hitting the middle of the green.

100% agree!  With the XV there were definitely greens that I flew rather than hitting the middle of the green.

I meant to say that the place I saw the biggest difference was off the tee - I am hitting some tee shots that are significantly longer than before due to the higher trajectory and lower spin. I should also clarify that "significantly longer" is not so much compared to the Z Star. It is longer than the Z Star but it's significantly longer than the ProV1 for me - not so much with irons but with the driver.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Reviewers-Great jobs on the Stage 1's.   And even better job of keeping the conversation going on here. 
My question would be.  If any of you had played the previous generation Z-Star, in what ways, if any does this one differ?

I personally never played the previous versions of Z-Star before. Srixon was just not on my radar as a golf ball option. I can say that has changed beyond a shadow of a doubt. The insane durability alone is a huge factor.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

24 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I personally never played the previous versions of Z-Star before. Srixon was just not on my radar as a golf ball option. I can say that has changed beyond a shadow of a doubt. The insane durability alone is a huge factor.

I played a round with a new Prov1 yesterday and at the end it looked only fit for the practice bag.

So Z stars are on my buy list as soon as I can sell the Prov1's.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I played in a scramble Friday afternoon. I have been playing the Z Star. One of the guys in our group gave me an XV to try. It may be purely anecdotal since I don't have a terribly repeatable swing, but the ball flight seemed different, with the XV quite a bit lower. I need lower, especially with driver and FW's.

Can someone else comment on this? Are you seeing similar differences?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I played in a scramble Friday afternoon. I have been playing the Z Star. One of the guys in our group gave me an XV to try. It may be purely anecdotal since I don't have a terribly repeatable swing, but the ball flight seemed different, with the XV quite a bit lower. I need lower, especially with driver and FW's.
Can someone else comment on this? Are you seeing similar differences?

Hey Max! The XV is designed to fly higher than the Z Star according to Srixon (they list the Z Star as having a "mid" flight and the XV as"mid-high") but your experience could absolutely be different. I have played both balls extensively now and they are quite easy to flight down. What's funny is that when I first started the review process I found that I hit them both much higher than what I like to see but over time they have settled into a window that fits my eye quite nicely. All that said, I can't really tell much of a difference in ball flight between the two. I will be checking that when I use Flight Scope.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

5 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Hey Max! The XV is designed to fly higher than the Z Star according to Srixon (they list the Z Star as having a "mid" flight and the XV as"mid-high") but your experience could absolutely be different. I have played both balls extensively now and they are quite easy to flight down. What's funny is that when I first started the review process I found that I hit them both much higher than what I like to see but over time they have settled into a window that fits my eye quite nicely. All that said, I can't really tell much of a difference in ball flight between the two. I will be checking that when I use Flight Scope.

Thanks for the feedback, although I have almost no ability to control the flight of the ball once you get a wedge out of my hands. I kind of figured my experience was mostly anecdotal, especially when it involves a driver.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Thanks for the feedback, although I have almost no ability to control the flight of the ball once you get a wedge out of my hands. I kind of figured my experience was mostly anecdotal, especially when it involves a driver.

This is exactly what I was wondering, can the everyday golfer (or even better golfer) tell the difference between mid and mid-high ball flight? Are we even consistent enough to know the difference? That seems like something that is purely relative to each golfer.

WITB:

Sooooo I went and got on the GC2 today..........

Huge shout out to the PGA Tour Superstore on 600 Accent Dr in Plano, TX!!  I paid for a 30min session and they let me stay as long as I needed to get my data.  They have HUGE store and very friendly employees. Check it out if you are in the area or ever visit!

First thoughts/impressions on the balls:

1) I started playing the Kirkland 3-piece this summer and have liked it so far (for the price it’s pretty awesome). However, I now realize that the durability is horrid compared to the Srixon lineup. I started off by hitting my 58* SM7 wedge full out. The Kirkland was scuffed/cut in several places after the first 10 swings. The Srixons held up much better through the duration of the session.

Kirkland scuffed:
1378922463_KirklandScuff1-resize.jpg.d6cf300aebd60304e402d1f676bd23c8.jpg

Kirkland scuffed 2:
1088329826_KirklandScuff2-resize.jpg.48f86d6ffc75f8b415691ab51c925868.jpg

Z-Star scuff:
729423224_Z-starscuff-resize.jpg.f37d9c8776d3e94653fa8ec13400e2f0.jpg

XV Scuff:
852771573_XVscuff-resize.jpg.b2feef1c3ca257d5c592a5fd7288cbea.jpg

2) As MGS said in their golf ball study, at higher speeds is where you really see distance differences. This was evident as I went up from lob wedge, to 7 iron, then finally to driver. The Kirkland spun the most for each club, and the Z-Star actually spun less than XV on the lob and 7 irons (go figure). Driver though...... backspin was the lowest on the XV, and that was my longest ball by far.  I do have to say though, I am not convinced that the differences between the carry distances are as large as I found today.  I struggle with hitting drivers in simulators for some reason, and the differences between the averages are just too huge for me to trust fully.

3) As far as the mid-high trajectory of the XV compared to the mid trajectory of the Z-star, I did not find any statistically significant results to support those claims.  It could have something to do with the fact that I am not a robot, but I checked for outliers.  In fact, the peak average height was the exact same on both the 7iron and Driver swings with the Z-Star and XV.

I’ll post a more comprehensive statistical analysis in my Stage 2 official review (we'll get into the MANOVA, Box-plots, and all that other jazz) but these teasers will have to serve for now.
Edited by ChasingScratch

WITB:

On 7/2/2019 at 11:17 AM, ChasingScratch said:

This is exactly what I was wondering, can the everyday golfer (or even better golfer) tell the difference between mid and mid-high ball flight? Are we even consistent enough to know the difference? That seems like something that is purely relative to each golfer.

That's a really good question and honestly I can't tell a difference at all. There are too many variables to be able to quantitatively say with the naked eye differences in flight between the Z Star and XV. I have hit them both high and low and I have no point of reference for mid and mid-high. I'm not sure it's even a consistency issue totally (although I'm certainly not consistent enough to say) because there are so many variables: lie, wind, humidity, etc. 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

21 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:
Sooooo I went and got on the GC2 today..........

Huge shout out to the PGA Tour Superstore on 600 Accent Dr in Plano, TX!!  I paid for a 30min session and they let me stay as long as I needed to get my data.  They have HUGE store and very friendly employees. Check it out if you are in the area or ever visit!

First thoughts/impressions on the balls:

1) I started playing the Kirkland 3-piece this summer and have liked it so far (for the price it’s pretty awesome). However, I now realize that the durability is horrid compared to the Srixon lineup. I started off by hitting my 58* SM7 wedge full out. The Kirkland was scuffed/cut in several places after the first 10 swings. The Srixons held up much better through the duration of the session.

Kirkland scuffed:
1378922463_KirklandScuff1-resize.jpg.d6cf300aebd60304e402d1f676bd23c8.jpg

Kirkland scuffed 2:
1088329826_KirklandScuff2-resize.jpg.48f86d6ffc75f8b415691ab51c925868.jpg

Z-Star scuff:
729423224_Z-starscuff-resize.jpg.f37d9c8776d3e94653fa8ec13400e2f0.jpg

XV Scuff:
852771573_XVscuff-resize.jpg.b2feef1c3ca257d5c592a5fd7288cbea.jpg

2) As MGS said in their golf ball study, at higher speeds is where you really see distance differences. This was evident as I went up from lob wedge, to 7 iron, then finally to driver. The Kirkland spun the most for each club, and the Z-Star actually spun less than XV on the lob and 7 irons (go figure). Driver though...... backspin was the lowest on the XV, and that was my longest ball by far.  I do have to say though, I am not convinced that the differences between the carry distances are as large as I found today.  I struggle with hitting drivers in simulators for some reason, and the differences between the averages are just too huge for me to trust fully.

3) As far as the mid-high trajectory of the XV compared to the mid trajectory of the Z-star, I did not find any statistically significant results to support those claims.  It could have something to do with the fact that I am not a robot, but I checked for outliers.  In fact, the peak average height was the exact same on both the 7iron and Driver swings with the Z-Star and XV.

I’ll post a more comprehensive statistical analysis in my Stage 2 official review (we'll get into the MANOVA, Box-plots, and all that other jazz) but these teasers will have to serve for now.

My own testing has proven out the same claims as has yours. I have seen very little difference between these balls in terms of distance either except with the driver; the XV is the longer by a noticeable margin and I have seen this on the course as well. It's interesting your observations related to spin as well. I played Monday and I was amazed at 2 shots I had while playing. I was playing the XV that evening but there were several shots that I hit a second shot with the Z Star by way of comparison. The first shot was a nine iron down wind from the rough - the XV spun so much better than the Z Star I was shocked. It hit the green and took one bounce and stopped. The Z Star hit the green but rolled through the green. Certainly strike had an impact but both felt well struck but responded quite differently. The second shot was my third into a par 5. I had 55 yards with a perfect lie in the fairway. I struck them both quite well but the XV actually backed up toward the hole - so much so that my playing partners were amazed. Needless to say - I have become a believer and my ball search is over but more on that is Phase 2. 

Good stuff Scratch!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

That's a really good question and honestly I can't tell a difference at all. There are too many variables to be able to quantitatively say with the naked eye differences in flight between the Z Star and XV. I have hit them both high and low and I have no point of reference for mid and mid-high. I'm not sure it's even a consistency issue totally (although I'm certainly not consistent enough to say) because there are so many variables: lie, wind, humidity, etc. 

Exactly. It’s relative unless you can dial in a robot.

WITB:

My own testing has proven out the same claims as has yours. I have seen very little difference between these balls in terms of distance either except with the driver; the XV is the longer by a noticeable margin and I have seen this on the course as well. It's interesting your observations related to spin as well. I played Monday and I was amazed at 2 shots I had while playing. I was playing the XV that evening but there were several shots that I hit a second shot with the Z Star by way of comparison. The first shot was a nine iron down wind from the rough - the XV spun so much better than the Z Star I was shocked. It hit the green and took one bounce and stopped. The Z Star hit the green but rolled through the green. Certainly strike had an impact but both felt well struck but responded quite differently. The second shot was my third into a par 5. I had 55 yards with a perfect lie in the fairway. I struck them both quite well but the XV actually backed up toward the hole - so much so that my playing partners were amazed. Needless to say - I have become a believer and my ball search is over but more on that is Phase 2. 
Good stuff Scratch!

Yes!! The boxes say that the Z-star is supposed to spin more, but with wedge and 7iron the XV spins more on the GC2 for me. Maybe they misprinted the boxes lol. But the MGS robot found the same.

WITB:

A new item came up for sale by @jlukes today that I couldn't see a better place to advertise it than in here.  Enjoy!!

Played 9 last night and 18 today stictly with the XV. I did do some comparisons on a few greenside shots. approach shots. and putts with the Z Star and my ProV1 on the 9, but stictly XV tonight.

My home course greens are hard and tough to hold. Today was 80 degrees and maybe a 5 mph breeze. Course was dry.

This shot was a high trajectory 8i to 155 yard pin. Ball stopped at about 2 feet above ball mark. Acceptable in my book.as this green is tough to hold. 1562213146172.jpg.9387cceaa7ecd4ef00f5e3c7f8374b36.jpg

This next shot is a 130 yard pw down wind to a rock of a green. Another one where my nomal ProV1 doesnt do any better. Ball ended up 10 feet or so above ball mark. 

1562213145986.jpg.362b68d8a46a79265b05a89fd32c1700.jpg

My playing partner asked me around #8 how I liked the ball and how it compared to my ProV1. I told him I hadnt thought much about it and wasnt surprised at its performance. Thats a good thing!!

As Ive played both the Z Star and the XV, I am finding that they are very durable. the XV isnt great in the wind, the XV has a harder feel then the Z Star, and the Z is more of a spinne,r but very acceptable. Off the putter today I had forgot that I wasnt playing my normsl gamer. 

Im going to spend some time greenside this week with these balls at that is really what makes or breaks a ball for me. 

These are very good balls MGS!  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Hey guys, I’ve played the Z Star a lot in the past and have had some go about 20 yards longer than expected on full shots out of the rough with irons. Are any of you seeing the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Hey guys, I’ve played the Z Star a lot in the past and have had some go about 20 yards longer than expected on full shots out of the rough with irons. Are any of you seeing the same thing?

I cannot say that I’ve hand at surpriser shots with either of these balls. If I miss hit it, I expect it to be short, but I have yet to have one fly the green when I expected it to be on the number.

WITB:

Played 9 last night and 18 today stictly with the XV. I did do some comparisons on a few greenside shots. approach shots. and putts with the Z Star and my ProV1 on the 9, but stictly XV tonight.
My home course greens are hard and tough to hold. Today was 80 degrees and maybe a 5 mph breeze. Course was dry.
This shot was a high trajectory 8i to 155 yard pin. Ball stopped at about 2 feet above ball mark. Acceptable in my book.as this green is tough to hold. 1562213146172.jpg.9387cceaa7ecd4ef00f5e3c7f8374b36.jpg

This next shot is a 130 yard pw down wind to a rock of a green. Another one where my nomal ProV1 doesnt do any better. Ball ended up 10 feet or so above ball mark. 
1562213145986.jpg.362b68d8a46a79265b05a89fd32c1700.jpg
My playing partner asked me around #8 how I liked the ball and how it compared to my ProV1. I told him I hadnt thought much about it and wasnt surprised at its performance. Thats a good thing!!
As Ive played both the Z Star and the XV, I am finding that they are very durable. the XV isnt great in the wind, the XV has a harder feel then the Z Star, and the Z is more of a spinne,r but very acceptable. Off the putter today I had forgot that I wasnt playing my normsl gamer. 
Im going to spend some time greenside this week with these balls at that is really what makes or breaks a ball for me. 
These are very good balls MGS!  

I agree, these balls have plenty of spin to hold any green. Nice shots!!

WITB:

4 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Fliers?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

5 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfS

Ive noticed nothing like that unless you are getting flier lies then any ball with go extra yards. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Fliers?

Yeah probably fliers but I’ve never really had it with others balls like this one. I still love it just curious if others have seen that.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I Spent about 45 minutes putting and 45 minutes chipping and pitching.  Hit 3 of each the Z and the XV. 

The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel. Trying not compare side by side, just going off Srixons claim of feel around thr green. No surprise here and ball performed as desribed. From a consumers point. I found the Z to be maybe too soft of feel for my liking with the putter as I felt like I had to hit it too hard to get it there which for me causes form getting out of whack.The XV felt a bit hard to me but it really popped of the face which I felt allowed me to stay in solid form. 

Pitching and chipping the feel is the same as putting. Z is soft and the XV firmer. I hit chips with various wedges and short irons and didnt notice any big disceptancies. If anything I think the Z runs outs a taste more.  As for pitches I stil think the Z runs out more and felt that I had to give it more on pitches with the Z to get to my landing spot. Srixon claim the Z has more greenside control. Not 100% sure I agree..at least in my game. I wil say that I could manipulate the Z to spin more than the Xv If I really wanted to. Lets say if I intentionally put a lot of back spin on the ball, I did feel that the Z spun more. No numbers to support it. Im a feel player so going off my that. 

Quality balls and Id say quality greenside experience. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I Spent about 45 minutes putting and 45 minutes chipping and pitching.  Hit 3 of each the Z and the XV. 
The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel.

That’s funny because I felt just the opposite off the putter. I have an insert putter though, so that might be something to do with it.

What type of putter do you have?

WITB:

58 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

That’s funny because I felt just the opposite off the putter. I have an insert putter though, so that might be something to do with it.

What type of putter do you have?

TM  Rossa mini spider. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played 9 tonight primarily with the Z Star, but also hit the XV side by side on many of the shots. 83 degrees when I started and our usual afternoon winds.  The Z Star performed great in the wind whie I felt the XV  does not hold up as it seemed to balloon. Im high ball hitter , and since the XV is a higher flying ball, that migt be it. The XV claims to be the longer ball, and it is, but not by huge amount.  Im just not finding a noticable difference on my approach shots in terms of how well the ball holds the surface. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Played 9 tonight primarily with the Z Star, but also hit the XV side by side on many of the shots. 83 degrees when I started and our usual afternoon winds.  The Z Star performed great in the wind whie I felt the XV  does not hold up as it seemed to balloon. Im high ball hitter , and since the XV is a higher flying ball, that migt be it. The XV claims to be the longer ball, and it is, but not by huge amount.  Im just not finding a noticable difference on my approach shots in terms of how well the ball holds the surface. 

When I hit then XV and Z-star on GC2, the XV spun more on both wedge and 7iron, but less with driver; but the box says the Z-Star spins more. Funny.

WITB:

interesting. I have nothing to do data wirh, ...just feels and eyes. 

I wiil do some more  testing this as Im playing decent golf. 

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel. Trying not compare side by side, just going off Srixons claim of feel around thr green. No surprise here and ball performed as desribed. From a consumers point. I found the Z to be maybe too soft of feel for my liking with the putter as I felt like I had to hit it too hard to get it there which for me causes form getting out of whack.The XV felt a bit hard to me but it really popped of the face which I felt allowed me to stay in solid form. 
Pitching and chipping the feel is the same as putting. Z is soft and the XV firmer. I hit chips with various wedges and short irons and didnt notice any big disceptancies. If anything I think the Z runs outs a taste more.  As for pitches I stil think the Z runs out more and felt that I had to give it more on pitches with the Z to get to my landing spot. Srixon claim the Z has more greenside control. Not 100% sure I agree..at least in my game. I wil say that I could manipulate the Z to spin more than the Xv If I really wanted to. Lets say if I intentionally put a lot of back spin on the ball, I did feel that the Z spun more. No numbers to support it. Im a feel player so going off my that. 
Quality balls and Id say quality greenside experience. 

I have played these balls extensively now and I would absolutely agree with your assessment regarding spin. The XV has actually been better around the greens although the Z Star spins a bit too much on full short-mid irons - again, at least for my game.

With the putter - I have never had a better putting ball for my game than the XV. My last four rounds: 25,25,27,22 putts. I can't do much better than that. I have always been a putter who has the ball die at the hole and the XV just rolls out so well for me that I'm making more. I don't find the XV hard; I would call it substantial. Hard to explain but I love it. Great information Pulledabill :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer