TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

Played 9 tonight primarily with the Z Star, but also hit the XV side by side on many of the shots. 83 degrees when I started and our usual afternoon winds.  The Z Star performed great in the wind whie I felt the XV  does not hold up as it seemed to balloon. Im high ball hitter , and since the XV is a higher flying ball, that migt be it. The XV claims to be the longer ball, and it is, but not by huge amount.  Im just not finding a noticable difference on my approach shots in terms of how well the ball holds the surface. 

I live in Oklahoma and it is ALWAYS windy so a ball that does well in the wind is a must. My experience with the XV has been completely the opposite. We had a steady 15 mph today so it wasn't bad but I had to flight quite a few irons today and the XV was so so good. I have had zero issues with either ball - in fact the spin numbers between the two balls has been too negligible to even mention with everything except the driver. With driver they separated themselves by a couple hundred revs which is pretty good, with the XV being the lower spinning of the two. That's what is so great about a review like this - we are all different and our needs and findings will reflect that. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Hey guys, I’ve played the Z Star a lot in the past and have had some go about 20 yards longer than expected on full shots out of the rough with irons. Are any of you seeing the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie - I have not found that. In fact, both balls have been extremely consistent in hitting my number when I put a good swing on it. I'm wondering if maybe they made some improvements on the 2019 version related to this. I have no experience with Srixon prior to this review so I can't comment on that but it's possible that's why we aren't seeing it now but you have experience with it in the past.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Picked up a dozen Z star XV's today- going to use them in two comps this weekend so fingers crossed.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have played these balls extensively now and I would absolutely agree with your assessment regarding spin. The XV has actually been better around the greens although the Z Star spins a bit too much on full short-mid irons - again, at least for my game.

With the putter - I have never had a better putting ball for my game than the XV. My last four rounds: 25,25,27,22 putts. I can't do much better than that. I have always been a putter who has the ball die at the hole and the XV just rolls out so well for me that I'm making more. I don't find the XV hard; I would call it substantial. Hard to explain but I love it. Great information Pulledabill :)

Those putts per round are amazing! Lots of birdies or good par saves?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

I went out early this morning so Id have the big pracice green to myself so I could run both balls through various chips and pitches again.  I really see no significant difference in either ball with my game around the green.  I still feel that I can manipulate the Z to spin more if I really wanted to.

Edited by pulledabill

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

rbI went out early this morning so Id have the big pracice green to myself so I could run both balls through various chips and putts again.  I really see no significant difference in either ball with my game around the green.  I still feel that I can manipulate the Z to spin more if I really wanted to.

I tend to agree. Both balls handle phenomenally well with pitch and chip shots. Plenty of spin that you would expect from a premium ball. I’ve chipped in with each ball for birdie and have had sooooo many shots stop within 1-2ft of the hole for par saves. Lots of confidence with these balls that you can be aggressive and the ball will stop.

WITB:

A couple of months ago, I picked up some clearance Z-Stars at Wal-Mart and had a pretty bad day with them. I think it left a bad impression on me when I think my swing was the culprit. I was milling around DSG and decided to pick up a dozen of the XV's to try out thanks to you guys and the great job have been doing. I'm hoping that it can help tame my high launch, high spin tendencies. Looking for a little extra greenside spin, too. I don't think a buzzsaw could dig into the greens I've been playing, but I hope it'll tame the rollout.

Thanks guys for the great jobs each of you has been doing. The forum reviews here have more influence over my purchasing power than anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A couple of months ago, I picked up some clearance Z-Stars at Wal-Mart and had a pretty bad day with them. I think it left a bad impression on me when I think my swing was the culprit. I was milling around DSG and decided to pick up a dozen of the XV's to try out thanks to you guys and the great job have been doing. I'm hoping that it can help tame my high launch, high spin tendencies. Looking for a little extra greenside spin, too. I don't think a buzzsaw could dig into the greens I've been playing, but I hope it'll tame the rollout.

Thanks guys for the great jobs each of you has been doing. The forum reviews here have more influence over my purchasing power than anywhere.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Cheaper than Pro-Vs and just as much spin and performance.

I’m interested to see how they work for you as well! I think the one thing we all agree on is that their durability is phenomenal. Report back after your round!!

WITB:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Cheaper than Pro-Vs and just as much spin and performance.

I’m interested to see how they work for you as well! I think the one thing we all agree on is that their durability is phenomenal. Report back after your round!!

I'll definitely let you guys know how these work for me. I'm thinking of taking three of them to the putting/chipping greens and getting a feel for them.

I went out early this morning so Id have the big pracice green to myself so I could run both balls through various chips and pitches again.  I really see no significant difference in either ball with my game around the green.  I still feel that I can manipulate the Z to spin more if I really wanted to.

I would agree. The only place I have seen any appreciable difference in spin is with the driver. My guess is the slightly softer Z gives the impression it spins more but I don't think it actually does - at least not for me.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Those putts per round are amazing! Lots of birdies or good par saves?

A bit of both but I have had two phenomenal rounds recently including a personal best that included 10 birdies. That round I missed one green and chipped in for birdie on that hole. The round of 22 putts I hit 13 greens so it was a good mix of birdie putts and par saves. Putting is a real strength of my game but the XV is exceptional on the green for me.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

It's amazing how a bad or good day influences our feelings related to the quality of a product. I'm glad you are giving the XV a chance! Keep us posted

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I took the XV's out for a spin today on both the putting green and the chipping green. I like the feel off the putter face, so far hitting quite a few from my normal range from the pin: 40 feet. Distance control was good, except for a couple where I skidded the putter before making contact. I got them close enough on most of the lags to convert for a two putt.
20190706_184312-01.jpeg
I also found I like the feel off my wedges. I was able to make good contact and like the look of the flight and the spin I was seeing. I didn't see a whole lot of stopping, but it's been dry here and the greens were not too receptive. You can't see it good in the photo, but the chipping green is just cut to the length of the fairway. You also can't see the ball in the hole from where I hit the flagstick and had it drop.
20190706_181058-01.jpeg
So far, so good. It'll probably be next weekend before I get to play again, and I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again for the great work you all have done!

I took the XV's out for a spin today on both the putting green and the chipping green. I like the feel off the putter face, so far hitting quite a few from my normal range from the pin: 40 feet. Distance control was good, except for a couple where I skidded the putter before making contact. I got them close enough on most of the lags to convert for a two putt.
20190706_184312-01.jpeg.8e15b12539fa0efdfdc612928ad500f7.jpeg
I also found I like the feel off my wedges. I was able to make good contact and like the look of the flight and the spin I was seeing. I didn't see a whole lot of stopping, but it's been dry here and the greens were not too receptive. You can't see it good in the photo, but the chipping green is just cut to the length of the fairway. You also can't see the ball in the hole from where I hit the flagstick and had it drop.
20190706_181058-01.jpeg.3eb9c385869727e824d9b0923ab09803.jpeg
So far, so good. It'll probably be next weekend before I get to play again, and I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again for the great work you all have done!

How would y describe the feel off the wedges on pitch shots? To me the XV has a noticeable ‘click’ feel, especially compared to the Z-Star.

WITB:

I would agree. The only place I have seen any appreciable difference in spin is with the driver. My guess is the slightly softer Z gives the impression it spins more but I don't think it actually does - at least not for me.

My GC2 data as well as the MGS Ball data confirm that the Z-star spins less with wedge and 7iron, and more with driver than the XV. Makes me wonder what days Srixon based the box informational graphics on..... perhaps just the driver.

WITB:

How would y describe the feel off the wedges on pitch shots? To me the XV has a noticeable ‘click’ feel, especially compared to the Z-Star.

I would say they did feel a little clicky off both the wedges and the putter, but it's not so bad as to really be a bother. I just played with some Nitro's during the Hard Rock Challenge, plus at Christmas my sister-in-law bought me some used Nike PD's and those things were absolutely tinny off the putter.

I love all the detailed feedback you guys are providing here.   Great job. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would say they did feel a little clicky off both the wedges and the putter, but it's not so bad as to really be a bother. I just played with some Nitro's during the Hard Rock Challenge, plus at Christmas my sister-in-law bought me some used Nike PD's and those things were absolutely tinny off the putter.

Hard rock challenge sounds epic!! I feel the XV has a click feel (good feel, not bad at all), and the Z-Star feels more traditional premium ball, like a ProV.

Both are soft off the putter to me (not in a bad way either).

WITB:

1 hour ago, ChasingScratch said:

First time user of the XV today and I agree it def feels and sounds a bit clicky off irons. It actually feels a harder ball than the ProV1 and Prov1x I've used for the last 10 years. It was in exceptional condition after 18 which is a huge plus.

I found with full 6 iron and 8 iron shots it would stop pretty good, usually within 5 feet of pitchmark and no 'sucking back'. Our greens are firm just now.

I think I'd like to try the Z star even though this thread says it spins more on driver.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

First time user of the XV today and I agree it def feels and sounds a bit clicky off irons. It actually feels a harder ball than the ProV1 and Prov1x I've used for the last 10 years. It was in exceptional condition after 18 which is a huge plus.
I found with full 6 iron and 8 iron shots it would stop pretty good, usually within 5 feet of pitchmark and no 'sucking back'. Our greens are firm just now.
I think I'd like to try the Z star even though this thread says it spins more on driver.

Z-Star will feel like a ProV more so than the XV for sure.

To me, the XV spins more with the wedges and irons and less with the driver, so it’s all around a better performer for me. Best combo overall.

WITB:

Z-Star will feel like a ProV more so than the XV for sure.

To me, the XV spins more with the wedges and irons and less with the driver, so it’s all around a better performer for me. Best combo overall.

I would agree - the Z Star does feel more in line with ProV1 and TP5. I don't find the XV "clicky" necessarily but certainly firmer and we know that sound translates a great deal in terms of feel so I understand the "clicky" description. If I had to describe the XV I would just say solid. It feels substantial when struck with driver and irons. I prefer the feel of a firmer ball traditionally although last year I got seduced by the AVX. The ball feels absolutely amazing! My own findings bore true in the MGS ball test: with my irons I was longer but shorter with the driver. I had never played or even considered a Srixon ball. The last 10 years or so, I have been playing a Taylormade ball until last summer. I found an AVX while in Arizona and played it for 72 holes and was impressed with its performance and durability. I planned to do some more thorough testing this year and settle on a ball when this testing opportunity presented itself. I expected to fall for the Z Star but the XV has been so, so good! The Z Star is a great ball - make no mistake - but for my game it's the XV. Long, low spin and solid off the tee. The ability to flight irons with plenty of spin coming into greens. Chipping and pitching have been so good and the best putting ball ever. I honestly did not expect to like this ball so much. I thought I would enjoy doing the testing and I would do a thorough right up and then go back to determing whether I would play the new ProV1 or X. Was I wrong! This ball is fantastic! My sons are now using these but one has opted for the Z Star, while the other the XV. I like them so much, I bought 4 dozen when they were on sale which made them $20 per dozen - you can't beat that! Thanks again to Srixon and MGS! Looking forward to my Stage 2 :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I would agree - the Z Star does feel more in line with ProV1 and TP5. I don't find the XV "clicky" necessarily but certainly firmer and we know that sound translates a great deal in terms of feel so I understand the "clicky" description. If I had to describe the XV I would just say solid. It feels substantial when struck with driver and irons. I prefer the feel of a firmer ball traditionally although last year I got seduced by the AVX. The ball feels absolutely amazing! My own findings bore true in the MGS ball test: with my irons I was longer but shorter with the driver. I had never played or even considered a Srixon ball. The last 10 years or so, I have been playing a Taylormade ball until last summer. I found an AVX while in Arizona and played it for 72 holes and was impressed with its performance and durability. I planned to do some more thorough testing this year and settle on a ball when this testing opportunity presented itself. I expected to fall for the Z Star but the XV has been so, so good! The Z Star is a great ball - make no mistake - but for my game it's the XV. Long, low spin and solid off the tee. The ability to flight irons with plenty of spin coming into greens. Chipping and pitching have been so good and the best putting ball ever. I honestly did not expect to like this ball so much. I thought I would enjoy doing the testing and I would do a thorough right up and then go back to determing whether I would play the new ProV1 or X. Was I wrong! This ball is fantastic! My sons are now using these but one has opted for the Z Star, while the other the XV. I like them so much, I bought 4 dozen when they were on sale which made them $20 per dozen - you can't beat that! Thanks again to Srixon and MGS! Looking forward to my Stage 2 :)

Nice!! I wish I had jumped on the buy one get one free, but I wanted to do my comparison with the Kirkland in the GC2 first.

WITB:

The Z Star is a really wonderful ball. It does spin more with the driver but it's not anything ridiculous. I have not had any balls balloon on my during my testing and I play in constant wind. What's bizarre is that when I first started testing I had several well struck iron shots spin back a great deal with the Z Star and I didn't with the XV. When I played last Monday I had a 3rd shot of 55 yards on a par 5. I hit both the Z Star and the XV and the XV spun back a bit when it hit the green while the Z Star did not. Now I know that is contingent on strike but I was amazed at the spin the XV has on shorter shots - the Spin Skin is real! I would try the Z Star - you may really enjoy it - the MGS Ball Test ranked it as Exceptional and I understand why!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

1 hour ago, golfertrb said:

I bought 4 dozen when they were on sale which made them $20 per dozen - you can't beat that!

They always do a sale at the beginning of the season $10 for 6.  I try to basically buy the entire display.  I love that this great of a premium ball is affordable as well!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I’m heading to Branson, MO this week and will play at least once while there. Going to put the XV in play more than likely.

If anyone has any hookups there let me know!

WITB:

19 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I’m heading to Branson, MO this week and will play at least once while there. Going to put the XV in play more than likely.

I used to live in Branson 12 years or so ago and there are a lot of great golf courses in the area including some great tracks in nearby Springfield. Ozarks National (formerly Murder Rock) is a great course in Hollister and River Cut in Springfield is also a great track. How have you been doing your testing while playing? Are you using a different ball per nine or 18? Are you playing multiple balls to hit certain shots? A combination?

Enjoy Branson!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

19 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

I used to live in Branson 12 years or so ago and there are a lot of great golf courses in the area including some great tracks in nearby Springfield. Ozarks National (formerly Murder Rock) is a great course in Hollister and River Cut in Springfield is also a great track. How have you been doing your testing while playing? Are you using a different ball per nine or 18? Are you playing multiple balls to hit certain shots? A combination?

Enjoy Branson!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

1 minute ago, golfertrb said:

Enjoy Branson!

Sorry for the double post - was having some internet issues 😞 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Just to let everyone know.  This thread go some very good feedback from Noelle at Srixon today.  

So thanks to all the members for the great questions and activity.  And thanks to the reviewers for a standout job so far.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12