TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

I used to live in Branson 12 years or so ago and there are a lot of great golf courses in the area including some great tracks in nearby Springfield. Ozarks National (formerly Murder Rock) is a great course in Hollister and River Cut in Springfield is also a great track. How have you been doing your testing while playing? Are you using a different ball per nine or 18? Are you playing multiple balls to hit certain shots? A combination?

Enjoy Branson!

We played Branson Hills last time we were there and I really loved the course! Great scenery, elevation changes (this pic is of hole #17).

IMG_3932.PNG

I’ll check into those courses!

So far I’ve been playing 9 holes with each during the same round. I mostly play with other golfers so I don’t want to be anti-social or hold up the pace of play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

2 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

We played Branson Hills last time we were there and I really loved the course! Great scenery, elevation changes (my profile pic is of hole #17).

I’ll check into those courses!

So far I’ve been playing 9 holes with each during the same round. I mostly play with other golfers so I don’t want to be anti-social or hold up the pace of play.

Branson Hills is a great course too. There is a lot of good golf there for sure. I understand Tiger has one coming to the area as well. 

Gotcha. I typically play one ball per 9 too although I've played each of them for 18 several times. If I am faced with a difficult shot I will play multiple balls from that same position (Z Star, XV, ProV1 and X). I have played a few times by myself where I played multiple balls on every shot which has been quite nice but mostly I play with  my grown sons so if I want to play another ball (not for score) but for testing - they are quite understanding towards the old man 🙂 

Did you go through OKC on your way to Branson?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Branson Hills is a great course too. There is a lot of good golf there for sure. I understand Tiger has one coming to the area as well. 
Gotcha. I typically play one ball per 9 too although I've played each of them for 18 several times. If I am faced with a difficult shot I will play multiple balls from that same position (Z Star, XV, ProV1 and X). I have played a few times by myself where I played multiple balls on every shot which has been quite nice but mostly I play with  my grown sons so if I want to play another ball (not for score) but for testing - they are quite understanding towards the old man  
Did you go through OKC on your way to Branson?

Gotcha. I like that strategy with the difficult shots and playing multiple balls. Great idea!

We’re just outside of Dallas so OKC is out of the way for our directions.

WITB:

I have been playing extremely well my last 6 or 7 rounds and today was a continuation of that trend. I shot a -7 63 with a clean card. I only missed 3 greens - 2 of those were green side bunkers and the third was pin high on the apron. The green side bunkers stemmed from having the confidence to go aggressively at pins. I played with the XV today and it was hot and windy and the Srixon handled it perfectly. One particular shot today that really impressed me was a shot of 107 yards. I was in the middle of the fairway on a par 4 of 385. The pin was back left and the green has a great deal of slope from back to front and right to left. The shot plays about 6 yards down hill and I hit my 53* and the shot came off perfectly with enough spin to hold and come back a touch but not too much. I took a picture of the result:

IMG_Jul92019at104701PM.jpg.226ddf9762ffbdaa3048962c617ddd6a.jpg

The ability to hit that shot with confidence and know it's going to spin just enough but not off the planet is so nice. I have played both of these balls extensively and I really believe it is a ball more people ought to at least try. It does everything a ball should but is more cost conscious than many other premium balls. What's not to like? These balls are so easy to flight and spin - the control and the durability is extraordinary. I can't believe I haven't played a Srixon before this. I almost forgot - my first tee shot of the day left me 99 yards from the pin the rough - I had to flight the ball down due to some tree trouble but the shot came off almost perfect - it hit the green a foot or so in front of the flag and bounced up and hit the pin. A great way to start the round and a great ball to play. 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

One other shot that I hit today that amazed me in terms of the ability to control the XV. On the third hole today I hit a pretty lousy tee shot and missed the fairway. I was only off the fairway by a few yards but I had an uphill lie to an elevated green on a bare lie in the trees. I needed to keep the ball low initially to keep it beneath the tree foliage and still get the ball up to the green. I had 127 yards - I hit a gripped down 7 iron flighted below the foliage to the back edge of the green for an easy up and down for par. Those are the kinds of shots that really determine whether I can play a ball or not and I can play this ball 😉

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

7 hours ago, golfertrb said:

I have been playing extremely well my last 6 or 7 rounds and today was a continuation of that trend. I shot a -7 63 with a clean card. I only missed 3 greens - 2 of those were green side bunkers and the third was pin high on the apron. The green side bunkers stemmed from having the confidence to go aggressively at pins. I played with the XV today and it was hot and windy and the Srixon handled it perfectly. One particular shot today that really impressed me was a shot of 107 yards. I was in the middle of the fairway on a par 4 of 385. The pin was back left and the green has a great deal of slope from back to front and right to left. The shot plays about 6 yards down hill and I hit my 53* and the shot came off perfectly with enough spin to hold and come back a touch but not too much. I took a picture of the result:

IMG_Jul92019at104701PM.jpg.226ddf9762ffbdaa3048962c617ddd6a.jpg

The ability to hit that shot with confidence and know it's going to spin just enough but not off the planet is so nice. I have played both of these balls extensively and I really believe it is a ball more people ought to at least try. It does everything a ball should but is more cost conscious than many other premium balls. What's not to like? These balls are so easy to flight and spin - the control and the durability is extraordinary. I can't believe I haven't played a Srixon before this. I almost forgot - my first tee shot of the day left me 99 yards from the pin the rough - I had to flight the ball down due to some tree trouble but the shot came off almost perfect - it hit the green a foot or so in front of the flag and bounced up and hit the pin. A great way to start the round and a great ball to play. 

thats about the stopping power I'm seeing, from 6 iron thru wedge (about half that distance on wedges)

I have noticed I dont get as much 'cash back' spin as the Prov1which is not a bad thing especially as I (like most ams) are usually short on approaches.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have been playing extremely well my last 6 or 7 rounds and today was a continuation of that trend. I shot a -7 63 with a clean card. I only missed 3 greens - 2 of those were green side bunkers and the third was pin high on the apron. The green side bunkers stemmed from having the confidence to go aggressively at pins. I played with the XV today and it was hot and windy and the Srixon handled it perfectly. One particular shot today that really impressed me was a shot of 107 yards. I was in the middle of the fairway on a par 4 of 385. The pin was back left and the green has a great deal of slope from back to front and right to left. The shot plays about 6 yards down hill and I hit my 53* and the shot came off perfectly with enough spin to hold and come back a touch but not too much. I took a picture of the result: IMG_Jul92019at104701PM.jpg.226ddf9762ffbdaa3048962c617ddd6a.jpg

Man that’s great! Keep up the hot streak!

I agree that I do not want a ball that has too much backspin. I prefer a ball that stops very close to where it lands rather than one that spins back 10ft randomly. These balls give me the confidence to be aggressive on pitch and chip shots.

WITB:

Today I played with my wife and I was able to play both balls on most shots. Two shots in particular that struck me today. It was really windy and on two different par 3's I was playing directly into a 15 mph breeze - nothing crazy but certainly noticeable. The first was hole 9 - my Bushnell had it at 185 and it was dead into the wind. I wear glasses but not when I play so typically can't see the ball land. I hit the Z Star first and then the XV. Both felt good - high draw with both though the Z Star looked a tick higher. When I get to the green, I see one ball about 4 ft from the pin and the other one short:
IMG_4088.jpg
IMG_4089.jpg

The Z Star was short; the XV was stuffed.

The next hole I'd like to draw your attention to is 15. A short hole to a green protected by water in front. It was playing 136 into the same wind. This time I could see it - the Z Star climbed the wind and came up short; the XV almost went in the hole.
IMG_4090.jpg

Both balls are fantastic but for me the XV is better in the wind. I know some of you have found the exact opposite to be true - isn't testing great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Today I played with my wife and I was able to play both balls on most shots. Two shots in particular that struck me today. It was really windy and on two different par 3's I was playing directly into a 15 mph breeze - nothing crazy but certainly noticeable. The first was hole 9 - my Bushnell had it at 185 and it was dead into the wind. I wear glasses but not when I play so typically can't see the ball land. I hit the Z Star first and then the XV. Both felt good - high draw with both though the Z Star looked a tick higher. When I get to the green, I see one ball about 4 ft from the pin and the other one short:
IMG_4088.jpg.425a992760b5faa37cfe269ebea3509b.jpg
IMG_4089.jpg.d9e964ba3ea47f034ad72d48f12ca4a6.jpg

The Z Star was short; the XV was stuffed.

The next hole I'd like to draw your attention to is 15. A short hole to a green protected by water in front. It was playing 136 into the same wind. This time I could see it - the Z Star climbed the wind and came up short; the XV almost went in the hole.
IMG_4090.jpg.d600e11374627ab80b04309a0012ff29.jpg

Both balls are fantastic but for me the XV is better in the wind. I know some of you have found the exact opposite to be true - isn't testing great :)

Here’s the real kicker. Even though the XV spins more on wedges and irons (according to my GC2 tests and the MGS ball test), I still feel that the XV fights the wind better than the Z-Star! Go figure.

WITB:

played the XV and Snell yesterday on a tough and long course.

After my drive on the second hole my buddy says - "You don't use your long irons much, do you?"  🙂

Both balls are fantastic and they are priced quite affordable.

Still trying out the BS Tour BX but I couldn't be more pleased with both of these balls.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

16 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

played the XV and Snell yesterday on a tough and long course.

After my drive on the second hole my buddy says - "You don't use your long irons much, do you?"  🙂

Still trying out the BS Tour BX but I couldn't be more pleased with both of these balls.

That's awesome haha. I have been doing some comparisons between the XV and the new Snell MTB X in my testing and they are both very good balls. They are very similar though I prefer the XV around and on the greens but that is primarily just a personal preference thing. There have been a few people while playing who have never tried either the Srixon or Snell who will now be giving them a go so that's fun. I have been interested in trying the Bridgestone as well but honestly I feel like I could quit my search for a ball right now. When you look at performance, durability and price, it is hard to look beyond the Srixon.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

The Srixon’s are hard to beat. I’m about to pull a deal on 36 mint condition non-water used XV’s for $50.

I played Mountain Top in Branson Missouri yesterday (13 hole par 3 that is amazing!!!).

Here are some shots. The course was bent grass and the greens were very receptive. Much more receptive than what I’m used to in Texas.

The XV spun very well for me, even on shots that I hit very low and thought would not hold.

IMG_3964.thumb.JPG.2206cd067eeccc13792b9e2ec7d65c3f.JPG

The above ️ was with a 50* SM7 wedge.

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.2a225f5e3e20df04f44461f769af90c1.JPG

This ️ one was with a 7 iron.

IMG_3976.thumb.JPG.8892b1a9f80bf79cba79aea79f17e49d.JPG

This ️ was on the final hole, 90 yards with a 58* SM7 wedge. Almost had my 1st hole in one!

Played all 13 holes with the same ball, lots of wedges, and it looked just like it did from before. It was the ball I used on my GC2 testing and it held up perfectly.

WITB:

The Srixon’s are hard to beat. I’m about to pull a deal on 36 mint condition non-water used XV’s for $50.

I played Mountain Top in Branson Missouri yesterday (13 hole par 3 that is amazing!!!).

Here are some shots. The course was bent grass and the greens were very receptive. Much more receptive than what I’m used to in Texas.

The XV spun very well for me, even on shots that I hit very low and thought would not hold.

IMG_3964.thumb.JPG.2206cd067eeccc13792b9e2ec7d65c3f.JPG

The above ️ was with a 50* SM7 wedge.

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.2a225f5e3e20df04f44461f769af90c1.JPG

This ️ one was with a 7 iron.

IMG_3976.thumb.JPG.8892b1a9f80bf79cba79aea79f17e49d.JPG

This ️ was on the final hole, 90 yards with a 58* SM7 wedge. Almost had my 1st hole in one!

Played all 13 holes with the same ball, lots of wedges, and it looked just like it did from before. It was the ball I used on my GC2 testing and it held up perfectly.

That is a great golf course! Sr Tour plays there and it will challenge you for sure. Looks like you were swinging well!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

That is a great golf course! Sr Tour plays there and it will challenge you for sure. Looks like you were swinging well!

I hit it pretty poorly overall (no warmup and haven’t really hit since the simulator).

Mountain Top is amazing! Huge greens with lots of slope and elevation change. Definitely one everybody should play if they are ever up there.

Playing Branson Hills today!! Should be fun!

WITB:

Played this evening with my middle son - played the XV primarily but played the Z Star on a few holes. Both balls are so so good. I honestly would be happy to play either one. My testing shows the XV is longer off thr tee and that is primarily due to decrease in spin. It's not a massive amount - a few hundred revs but enough to make a difference in terms of distance. I hit some chips and pitches with the XV that were just so good. That ball has plenty of spin and is so solid off the putter. I did hit one shot with the Z Star that was pretty special - I had 115 uphill for my 3rd shot on a par 5 - the wind was blowing 15 mph or so into and I hit a beautiful little trap draw PW with the Z Star that ended 18 inches from the hole - what a thing of beauty. These balls are really good and as good as anything I have played. I highly recommend giving these balls a go.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Played this evening with my middle son - played the XV primarily but played the Z Star on a few holes. Both balls are so so good. I honestly would be happy to play either one. My testing shows the XV is longer off thr tee and that is primarily due to decrease in spin. It's not a massive amount - a few hundred revs but enough to make a difference in terms of distance. I hit some chips and pitches with the XV that were just so good. That ball has plenty of spin and is so solid off the putter. I did hit one shot with the Z Star that was pretty special - I had 115 uphill for my 3rd shot on a par 5 - the wind was blowing 15 mph or so into and I hit a beautiful little trap draw PW with the Z Star that ended 18 inches from the hole - what a thing of beauty. These balls are really good and as good as anything I have played. I highly recommend giving these balls a go.

Awesome! I will say I love hitting pitch and chip shots with these balls. I have chipped in for either a par save or a birdie once per round since playing these balls.

WITB:

On 7/11/2019 at 4:39 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Do you play the Black or the Mtb-X.

I´m playing the Mtb-X at the moment. Great ball so far. Performance, durability, price... 

What are the differences in your opinion?

Perhaps i give the Srixon in the after season a try...

3 minutes ago, Monaco said:

Do you play the Black or the Mtb-X.

I´m playing the Mtb-X at the moment. Great ball so far. Performance, durability, price... 

What are the differences in your opinion?

Perhaps i give the Srixon in the after season a try...

I've never tried the black - just the MTB-x....and for a DTC ball it's great.

I'm not really a ball aficionado but between the MTB-x and ZStar XV I didn't see a great deal of difference.  Maybe a few yards here and there but I'm not good enough to where that will matter.  Both feel and fly well off the driver and hit-and-sit on the green.

I haven't done an in-depth test like the rest of the testers so I can't really provide much detailed information, just some anecdotal experience....  

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Played today alternating holes with the Z Star and XV. Both balls are just really good and I could play either one. The XV is a better driving and putting ball; the Z Star feels so good when flushed with an iron and is really good around the greens though honestly they both are. If there was only one ball - I would be thrilled with that one because they are both such good balls. I think there is one that fits my games better after having played many rounds with both but honestly they are both such good balls. I was striking it so good the first part of the day but the heat got to me as the round progressed and I still put a solid round together with some long putts and some good breaks. One shot in particular comes to mind today: the 17th hole and I am COMPLETELY gassed at this point. I hit 2 Crossover off thr tee - not too bad a swing but I blocked it right. Just miss the fairway by a yard or so but I'm in the rough 159 out. There is water in front of thr green and there is a thick tree branch 30 yards in front of me that I have to go under. I hit a knockdown punchy 6 iron to keep it below the tree branch - it cleared the water and settled about 18 feet below the hole. The XV handled the shot beautifully and I was not at my sharpest. Isn't that what we want? Clubs/ball/whatever that can perform when we are sharp as well as when we aren't? I sure do. These balls are legit and while I don't know all the science behind "Spin Skin" - I do know it works :)

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Played today alternating holes with the Z Star and XV. Both balls are just really good and I could play either one. The XV is a better driving and putting ball; the Z Star feels so good when flushed with an iron and is really good around the greens though honestly they both are. If there was only one ball - I would be thrilled with that one because they are both such good balls. I think there is one that fits my games better after having played many rounds with both but honestly they are both such good balls. I was striking it so good the first part of the day but the heat got to me as the round progressed and I still put a solid round together with some long putts and some good breaks. One shot in particular comes to mind today: the 17th hole and I am COMPLETELY gassed at this point. I hit 2 Crossover off thr tee - not too bad a swing but I blocked it right. Just miss the fairway by a yard or so but I'm in the rough 159 out. There is water in front of thr green and there is a thick tree branch 30 yards in front of me that I have to go under. I hit a knockdown punchy 6 iron to keep it below the tree branch - it cleared the water and settled about 18 feet below the hole. The XV handled the shot beautifully and I was not at my sharpest. Isn't that what we want? Clubs/ball/whatever that can perform when we are sharp as well as when we aren't? I sure do. These balls are legit and while I don't know all the science behind "Spin Skin" - I do know it works :)

Awesome! I’m with you on the ‘Spin Skin’. At first I thought it was pure marketing, but there definitely seems to be something behind it around the greens. I feel like I can throw a pitch or chip shot just about all the way to the hole if I want and it will grab.

They may as well also claim to have a ‘dura skin’ as well for the durability of the balls!

WITB:

I got out Sat. And I put together two good nines. As someone who plays to a 15-16 hdcp. ( give or take) I shot an 85.. I had a couple of blow ups but felt really good.. I am not a one hop and stop guy for the most part.. But I'll be damned if I didn't have 3-4 that just Hit and stopped.. on 18 I hit a 9 iron form 136 into a decent breeze maybe 5-10mph.. the ball left a crater and trickled out maybe 2 feet and about 6' left of the hole.. from the tee box it looked closer but hell I'll take it any day.. I absolutely love both of these balls. But for me I am playing one better than the other.. go figure..

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

On the subject of durability - these balls are incredible. I have most of the balls I was given (I have given a few to my sons to try and I lost one on Sunday) and I could play any of them. In the spirit of full disclosure - I wouldn't necessarily WANT to play some of them but I could. For example, here is a Z Star I could totally play but if I could pick another I would because of the line on the face:

IMG_4056.thumb.jpg.8a5dc22e2778ff97100dd80e8724cee6.jpg

But I know I have played this ball for 4 rounds - incredible.

I'll talk more about durability in my Stage 2, as I'm sure all the guys will but suffice to say - you get a lot of mileage for your money with Srixon.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

On the subject of durability - these balls are incredible. I have most of the balls I was given (I have given a few to my sons to try and I lost one on Sunday) and I could play any of them. In the spirit of full disclosure - I wouldn't necessarily WANT to play some of them but I could. For example, here is a Z Star I could totally play but if I could pick another I would because of the line on the face:IMG_4056.thumb.jpg.8a5dc22e2778ff97100dd80e8724cee6.jpg

But I know I have played this ball for 4 rounds - incredible.

I'll talk more about durability in my Stage 2, as I'm sure all the guys will but suffice to say - you get a lot of mileage for your money with Srixon.

In my own (intentional of course) testing, I’ve found it handles trees and concrete cart paths quite well......

It’s been very rigorous and scientific. Lots of controls in place for the tree and concrete testing.

I’m sure it will be beneficial to a large number of golfers.

WITB:

Full disclosure, I haven't read through the 8 pages of posts...

Just on the last few pages I've seen a few posts loving the durability, I'm on the opposite side.  I played the XV last season in yellow for a couple months and loved it.  Got a great deal on balls this year with the XV again on the new model and have been playing it all year.  Maybe it's the white version vs the yellow I had last season, but I feel like can't through a round with out significant scuffs on the ball.  It's not cart paths or tree's (although I've hit both and had to retire the ball) but even a well struck wedge from the fairway will from time to time put a mark on the ball.  Maybe I'm just not losing as many this year so each ball is getting more shots, but I keep finding that by the time I'm done with 18 holes there are enough scuffs on the cover that I don't feel comfortable putting it back in play next round.

Anyone else seeing this?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just on the last few pages I've seen a few posts loving the durability, I'm on the opposite side.  I played the XV last season in yellow for a couple months and loved it.  Got a great deal on balls this year with the XV again on the new model and have been playing it all year.  Maybe it's the white version vs the yellow I had last season, but I feel like can't through a round with out significant scuffs on the ball.  It's not cart paths or tree's (although I've hit both and had to retire the ball) but even a well struck wedge from the fairway will from time to time put a mark on the ball.  Maybe I'm just not losing as many this year so each ball is getting more shots, but I keep finding that by the time I'm done with 18 holes there are enough scuffs on the cover that I don't feel comfortable putting it back in play next round.

Anyone else seeing this?

Maybe a scuff isn’t the same to all golfers? If it isn’t an actual cut, I’ll keep playing it. When I took one of each (Kirkland 3-piece, Z-Star, and XV) on the simulator and hit a ton of wedges, 7 irons, and drivers, the Kirkland was the only one that looked damaged to me. There were a few scuffs on the Srixons, but nothing like the Kirkland.

WITB:

1 hour ago, hckymeyer said:

Anyone else seeing this?

I would agree that a well struck shot will occasionally put a mark on the ball but in comparison to ProV1 or TP5, I find the XV/Z Star exceptionally durable. Your point is well taken - I have yet to find a tour caliber ball that is immune from scuffing due to the cover material they all share. In the picture I posted the Z Star has a mark on it from a wedge and as I mentioned - I could play it though I wouldn't want to. I appreciate your post because it gives me the opportunity to clarify my thoughts. 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

44 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I have yet to find a tour caliber ball that is immune from scuffing due to the cover material they all share.

Snell MTBX is mega durable. Really outstanding against other premium golf balls i`ve tested.

My new Srixon XV will arrive today, in yellow and white, so i will see the differences the next few days.

Hope they are similar to the mtbx, with a fraction more spin on chip shots. 🙂  

In Germany, there is no difference in price point between these two.

NEW Staff is always amazing to test!!! (yesterday i got new fitted EXS Driver with an ACCRA Schaft) 🤩

Edited by Monaco

Snell MTBX is mega durable. Really outstanding against other premium golf balls i`ve tested.
My new Srixon XV will arrive today, in yellow and white, so i will see the differences the next few days.

Hope they are similar to the mtbx, with a fraction more spin on chip shots.   
In Germany, there is no difference in price point between these two.

NEW Staff is always amazing to test!!! (yesterday i got new fitted EXS Driver with an ACCRA Schaft) 

I totally agree the Snell is very durable as well. I have tested the MTBX too, although nowhere near the testing I have done with the Sri on. Both Srixon balls spin more for me around the greens than the MTBX but again my testing has been limited - both are very good balls. The XV is a really great ball - if you like the MTBX, I believe you will enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer