Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

4 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Hey guys, I’ve played the Z Star a lot in the past and have had some go about 20 yards longer than expected on full shots out of the rough with irons. Are any of you seeing the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Fliers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Hey guys, I’ve played the Z Star a lot in the past and have had some go about 20 yards longer than expected on full shots out of the rough with irons. Are any of you seeing the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfS

Ive noticed nothing like that unless you are getting flier lies then any ball with go extra yards. 

• Like 1

Fliers?

Yeah probably fliers but I’ve never really had it with others balls like this one. I still love it just curious if others have seen that.

• Like 1

I Spent about 45 minutes putting and 45 minutes chipping and pitching.  Hit 3 of each the Z and the XV. 

The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel. Trying not compare side by side, just going off Srixons claim of feel around thr green. No surprise here and ball performed as desribed. From a consumers point. I found the Z to be maybe too soft of feel for my liking with the putter as I felt like I had to hit it too hard to get it there which for me causes form getting out of whack.The XV felt a bit hard to me but it really popped of the face which I felt allowed me to stay in solid form. 

Pitching and chipping the feel is the same as putting. Z is soft and the XV firmer. I hit chips with various wedges and short irons and didnt notice any big disceptancies. If anything I think the Z runs outs a taste more.  As for pitches I stil think the Z runs out more and felt that I had to give it more on pitches with the Z to get to my landing spot. Srixon claim the Z has more greenside control. Not 100% sure I agree..at least in my game. I wil say that I could manipulate the Z to spin more than the Xv If I really wanted to. Lets say if I intentionally put a lot of back spin on the ball, I did feel that the Z spun more. No numbers to support it. Im a feel player so going off my that. 

Quality balls and Id say quality greenside experience. 

• Like 3

I Spent about 45 minutes putting and 45 minutes chipping and pitching.  Hit 3 of each the Z and the XV. 
The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel.

That’s funny because I felt just the opposite off the putter. I have an insert putter though, so that might be something to do with it.

What type of putter do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

58 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

That’s funny because I felt just the opposite off the putter. I have an insert putter though, so that might be something to do with it.

What type of putter do you have?

TM  Rossa mini spider. 

• Like 1

Played 9 tonight primarily with the Z Star, but also hit the XV side by side on many of the shots. 83 degrees when I started and our usual afternoon winds.  The Z Star performed great in the wind whie I felt the XV  does not hold up as it seemed to balloon. Im high ball hitter , and since the XV is a higher flying ball, that migt be it. The XV claims to be the longer ball, and it is, but not by huge amount.  Im just not finding a noticable difference on my approach shots in terms of how well the ball holds the surface. 

• Like 1

Played 9 tonight primarily with the Z Star, but also hit the XV side by side on many of the shots. 83 degrees when I started and our usual afternoon winds.  The Z Star performed great in the wind whie I felt the XV  does not hold up as it seemed to balloon. Im high ball hitter , and since the XV is a higher flying ball, that migt be it. The XV claims to be the longer ball, and it is, but not by huge amount.  Im just not finding a noticable difference on my approach shots in terms of how well the ball holds the surface. 

When I hit then XV and Z-star on GC2, the XV spun more on both wedge and 7iron, but less with driver; but the box says the Z-Star spins more. Funny.

interesting. I have nothing to do data wirh, ...just feels and eyes. 

I wiil do some more  testing this as Im playing decent golf. 

• Like 1

The Z is much softer off the putter but it took no time in getting used to it. Not marshmallow soft, just noticably soft. The XV was noticably harder and took just a few balls to dial in the feel. Trying not compare side by side, just going off Srixons claim of feel around thr green. No surprise here and ball performed as desribed. From a consumers point. I found the Z to be maybe too soft of feel for my liking with the putter as I felt like I had to hit it too hard to get it there which for me causes form getting out of whack.The XV felt a bit hard to me but it really popped of the face which I felt allowed me to stay in solid form. 
Pitching and chipping the feel is the same as putting. Z is soft and the XV firmer. I hit chips with various wedges and short irons and didnt notice any big disceptancies. If anything I think the Z runs outs a taste more.  As for pitches I stil think the Z runs out more and felt that I had to give it more on pitches with the Z to get to my landing spot. Srixon claim the Z has more greenside control. Not 100% sure I agree..at least in my game. I wil say that I could manipulate the Z to spin more than the Xv If I really wanted to. Lets say if I intentionally put a lot of back spin on the ball, I did feel that the Z spun more. No numbers to support it. Im a feel player so going off my that. 
Quality balls and Id say quality greenside experience. 

I have played these balls extensively now and I would absolutely agree with your assessment regarding spin. The XV has actually been better around the greens although the Z Star spins a bit too much on full short-mid irons - again, at least for my game.

With the putter - I have never had a better putting ball for my game than the XV. My last four rounds: 25,25,27,22 putts. I can't do much better than that. I have always been a putter who has the ball die at the hole and the XV just rolls out so well for me that I'm making more. I don't find the XV hard; I would call it substantial. Hard to explain but I love it. Great information Pulledabill :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I live in Oklahoma and it is ALWAYS windy so a ball that does well in the wind is a must. My experience with the XV has been completely the opposite. We had a steady 15 mph today so it wasn't bad but I had to flight quite a few irons today and the XV was so so good. I have had zero issues with either ball - in fact the spin numbers between the two balls has been too negligible to even mention with everything except the driver. With driver they separated themselves by a couple hundred revs which is pretty good, with the XV being the lower spinning of the two. That's what is so great about a review like this - we are all different and our needs and findings will reflect that. Good stuff!

• Like 2

Wedgie - I have not found that. In fact, both balls have been extremely consistent in hitting my number when I put a good swing on it. I'm wondering if maybe they made some improvements on the 2019 version related to this. I have no experience with Srixon prior to this review so I can't comment on that but it's possible that's why we aren't seeing it now but you have experience with it in the past.

• Like 1

Picked up a dozen Z star XV's today- going to use them in two comps this weekend so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I have played these balls extensively now and I would absolutely agree with your assessment regarding spin. The XV has actually been better around the greens although the Z Star spins a bit too much on full short-mid irons - again, at least for my game.

With the putter - I have never had a better putting ball for my game than the XV. My last four rounds: 25,25,27,22 putts. I can't do much better than that. I have always been a putter who has the ball die at the hole and the XV just rolls out so well for me that I'm making more. I don't find the XV hard; I would call it substantial. Hard to explain but I love it. Great information Pulledabill :)

Those putts per round are amazing! Lots of birdies or good par saves?

I went out early this morning so Id have the big pracice green to myself so I could run both balls through various chips and pitches again.  I really see no significant difference in either ball with my game around the green.  I still feel that I can manipulate the Z to spin more if I really wanted to.

Edited by pulledabill
  • Like 2

rbI went out early this morning so Id have the big pracice green to myself so I could run both balls through various chips and putts again.  I really see no significant difference in either ball with my game around the green.  I still feel that I can manipulate the Z to spin more if I really wanted to.

I tend to agree. Both balls handle phenomenally well with pitch and chip shots. Plenty of spin that you would expect from a premium ball. I’ve chipped in with each ball for birdie and have had sooooo many shots stop within 1-2ft of the hole for par saves. Lots of confidence with these balls that you can be aggressive and the ball will stop.

• Like 2

A couple of months ago, I picked up some clearance Z-Stars at Wal-Mart and had a pretty bad day with them. I think it left a bad impression on me when I think my swing was the culprit. I was milling around DSG and decided to pick up a dozen of the XV's to try out thanks to you guys and the great job have been doing. I'm hoping that it can help tame my high launch, high spin tendencies. Looking for a little extra greenside spin, too. I don't think a buzzsaw could dig into the greens I've been playing, but I hope it'll tame the rollout.

Thanks guys for the great jobs each of you has been doing. The forum reviews here have more influence over my purchasing power than anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

A couple of months ago, I picked up some clearance Z-Stars at Wal-Mart and had a pretty bad day with them. I think it left a bad impression on me when I think my swing was the culprit. I was milling around DSG and decided to pick up a dozen of the XV's to try out thanks to you guys and the great job have been doing. I'm hoping that it can help tame my high launch, high spin tendencies. Looking for a little extra greenside spin, too. I don't think a buzzsaw could dig into the greens I've been playing, but I hope it'll tame the rollout.

Thanks guys for the great jobs each of you has been doing. The forum reviews here have more influence over my purchasing power than anywhere.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Cheaper than Pro-Vs and just as much spin and performance.

I’m interested to see how they work for you as well! I think the one thing we all agree on is that their durability is phenomenal. Report back after your round!!

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for some new tour Yellow zstar XVs, I have 3 dozen for sale in the classifieds. 

Absolutely phenomenal ball, but I moved to a ball with a different aerodynamic profile to lower/flatten my ball flight 

• Like 1

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Cheaper than Pro-Vs and just as much spin and performance.

I’m interested to see how they work for you as well! I think the one thing we all agree on is that their durability is phenomenal. Report back after your round!!

I'll definitely let you guys know how these work for me. I'm thinking of taking three of them to the putting/chipping greens and getting a feel for them.

• Like 1