Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV Golf Balls

Our Sponsors

Played today alternating holes with the Z Star and XV. Both balls are just really good and I could play either one. The XV is a better driving and putting ball; the Z Star feels so good when flushed with an iron and is really good around the greens though honestly they both are. If there was only one ball - I would be thrilled with that one because they are both such good balls. I think there is one that fits my games better after having played many rounds with both but honestly they are both such good balls. I was striking it so good the first part of the day but the heat got to me as the round progressed and I still put a solid round together with some long putts and some good breaks. One shot in particular comes to mind today: the 17th hole and I am COMPLETELY gassed at this point. I hit 2 Crossover off thr tee - not too bad a swing but I blocked it right. Just miss the fairway by a yard or so but I'm in the rough 159 out. There is water in front of thr green and there is a thick tree branch 30 yards in front of me that I have to go under. I hit a knockdown punchy 6 iron to keep it below the tree branch - it cleared the water and settled about 18 feet below the hole. The XV handled the shot beautifully and I was not at my sharpest. Isn't that what we want? Clubs/ball/whatever that can perform when we are sharp as well as when we aren't? I sure do. These balls are legit and while I don't know all the science behind "Spin Skin" - I do know it works :)

Awesome! I’m with you on the ‘Spin Skin’. At first I thought it was pure marketing, but there definitely seems to be something behind it around the greens. I feel like I can throw a pitch or chip shot just about all the way to the hole if I want and it will grab.

They may as well also claim to have a ‘dura skin’ as well for the durability of the balls!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

I got out Sat. And I put together two good nines. As someone who plays to a 15-16 hdcp. ( give or take) I shot an 85.. I had a couple of blow ups but felt really good.. I am not a one hop and stop guy for the most part.. But I'll be damned if I didn't have 3-4 that just Hit and stopped.. on 18 I hit a 9 iron form 136 into a decent breeze maybe 5-10mph.. the ball left a crater and trickled out maybe 2 feet and about 6' left of the hole.. from the tee box it looked closer but hell I'll take it any day.. I absolutely love both of these balls. But for me I am playing one better than the other.. go figure..

• Like 3

On the subject of durability - these balls are incredible. I have most of the balls I was given (I have given a few to my sons to try and I lost one on Sunday) and I could play any of them. In the spirit of full disclosure - I wouldn't necessarily WANT to play some of them but I could. For example, here is a Z Star I could totally play but if I could pick another I would because of the line on the face:

IMG_4056.thumb.jpg.8a5dc22e2778ff97100dd80e8724cee6.jpg

But I know I have played this ball for 4 rounds - incredible.

I'll talk more about durability in my Stage 2, as I'm sure all the guys will but suffice to say - you get a lot of mileage for your money with Srixon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On the subject of durability - these balls are incredible. I have most of the balls I was given (I have given a few to my sons to try and I lost one on Sunday) and I could play any of them. In the spirit of full disclosure - I wouldn't necessarily WANT to play some of them but I could. For example, here is a Z Star I could totally play but if I could pick another I would because of the line on the face:IMG_4056.thumb.jpg.8a5dc22e2778ff97100dd80e8724cee6.jpg

But I know I have played this ball for 4 rounds - incredible.

I'll talk more about durability in my Stage 2, as I'm sure all the guys will but suffice to say - you get a lot of mileage for your money with Srixon.

In my own (intentional of course) testing, I’ve found it handles trees and concrete cart paths quite well......

It’s been very rigorous and scientific. Lots of controls in place for the tree and concrete testing.

I’m sure it will be beneficial to a large number of golfers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Full disclosure, I haven't read through the 8 pages of posts...

Just on the last few pages I've seen a few posts loving the durability, I'm on the opposite side.  I played the XV last season in yellow for a couple months and loved it.  Got a great deal on balls this year with the XV again on the new model and have been playing it all year.  Maybe it's the white version vs the yellow I had last season, but I feel like can't through a round with out significant scuffs on the ball.  It's not cart paths or tree's (although I've hit both and had to retire the ball) but even a well struck wedge from the fairway will from time to time put a mark on the ball.  Maybe I'm just not losing as many this year so each ball is getting more shots, but I keep finding that by the time I'm done with 18 holes there are enough scuffs on the cover that I don't feel comfortable putting it back in play next round.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Like 1

Just on the last few pages I've seen a few posts loving the durability, I'm on the opposite side.  I played the XV last season in yellow for a couple months and loved it.  Got a great deal on balls this year with the XV again on the new model and have been playing it all year.  Maybe it's the white version vs the yellow I had last season, but I feel like can't through a round with out significant scuffs on the ball.  It's not cart paths or tree's (although I've hit both and had to retire the ball) but even a well struck wedge from the fairway will from time to time put a mark on the ball.  Maybe I'm just not losing as many this year so each ball is getting more shots, but I keep finding that by the time I'm done with 18 holes there are enough scuffs on the cover that I don't feel comfortable putting it back in play next round.

Anyone else seeing this?

Maybe a scuff isn’t the same to all golfers? If it isn’t an actual cut, I’ll keep playing it. When I took one of each (Kirkland 3-piece, Z-Star, and XV) on the simulator and hit a ton of wedges, 7 irons, and drivers, the Kirkland was the only one that looked damaged to me. There were a few scuffs on the Srixons, but nothing like the Kirkland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hckymeyer said:

Anyone else seeing this?

I would agree that a well struck shot will occasionally put a mark on the ball but in comparison to ProV1 or TP5, I find the XV/Z Star exceptionally durable. Your point is well taken - I have yet to find a tour caliber ball that is immune from scuffing due to the cover material they all share. In the picture I posted the Z Star has a mark on it from a wedge and as I mentioned - I could play it though I wouldn't want to. I appreciate your post because it gives me the opportunity to clarify my thoughts. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I have yet to find a tour caliber ball that is immune from scuffing due to the cover material they all share.

Snell MTBX is mega durable. Really outstanding against other premium golf balls i`ve tested.

My new Srixon XV will arrive today, in yellow and white, so i will see the differences the next few days.

Hope they are similar to the mtbx, with a fraction more spin on chip shots. 🙂  

In Germany, there is no difference in price point between these two.

NEW Staff is always amazing to test!!! (yesterday i got new fitted EXS Driver with an ACCRA Schaft) 🤩

Edited by Monaco
  • Like 3

Snell MTBX is mega durable. Really outstanding against other premium golf balls i`ve tested.
My new Srixon XV will arrive today, in yellow and white, so i will see the differences the next few days.

Hope they are similar to the mtbx, with a fraction more spin on chip shots.   
In Germany, there is no difference in price point between these two.

NEW Staff is always amazing to test!!! (yesterday i got new fitted EXS Driver with an ACCRA Schaft) 

I totally agree the Snell is very durable as well. I have tested the MTBX too, although nowhere near the testing I have done with the Sri on. Both Srixon balls spin more for me around the greens than the MTBX but again my testing has been limited - both are very good balls. The XV is a really great ball - if you like the MTBX, I believe you will enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, golfertrb said:

The XV is a really great ball - if you like the MTBX, I believe you will enjoy it!

Where is the MAILMAN??? 😉

Durability is a big thing, when it comes to value. I like the Cut blue, but almost every wedgeshot left heavy cuts in the urethan layer...

That`s an awful value - 2,20 € per shot! 😂😂

• Like 2

Normally, durability is not a huge factor for me because I will lose balls long before I feel I need to retire them. BUT, I have been playing the same Z-Star now for about 50-ish holes. I tried to retire it last week after I hit a cart path and tree (on the same hole, of course), but the brand new ball was struck 4 times before I lost it, so I pulled the impacted ball back out. It is not really scuffed that bad to my eye, but there is some discoloration from the cart path impact. I'm impressed!

• Like 1

First 9 holes are completed, side by side with the MTBX. 

These Balls feel very similar to each other.

Long with the Driver, good spin on Iron and approach shots. See no difference at all. 

Even with the Putter, really really nice! 

The only thing i noticed: the XV has a fraction more spin when it comes to chipping. 

Don‘t loose the Balls, both looks new as out of the box.

more testing, one of these is my new gamer! 

Edited by Monaco
  • Like 4

So I did the epsom salt test on 6 XV’s, 6 Z-Stars, and 6 Q-Star Tours (all un-hit and brand new).

In the picture below, the top row is balls that were either perfectly balanced or spun very slowly back to the same spot.

The bottom row were balls that spun back to the same consistent spot a little quicker than the top rows.

IMG_4131.thumb.JPG.ed8f402ab10d3a7ff263fb7d4b15eff3.JPG

Of the three, the Q-Star Tour had the most balls that were perfectly balanced, followed by the XV, then the Z-Star.

This goes to show that, as was mentioned in the most recent “No Putts Given,” making a perfectly balanced golf ball is extremely difficulty to do.

Again, I’ve only recently begun floating golf balls, but of all the balls I’ve tested, it is rare to find a perfectly balanced ball.

• Like 3

So I did the epsom salt test on 6 XV’s, 6 Z-Stars, and 6 Q-Star Tours (all un-hit and brand new).

In the picture below, the top row is balls that were either perfectly balanced or spun very slowly back to the same spot.

The bottom row were balls that spun back to the same consistent spot a little quicker than the top rows.

IMG_4131.thumb.JPG.ed8f402ab10d3a7ff263fb7d4b15eff3.JPG

Of the three, the Q-Star Tour had the most balls that were perfectly balanced, followed by the XV, then the Z-Star.

This goes to show that, as was mentioned in the most recent “No Putts Given,” making a perfectly balanced golf ball is extremely difficulty to do.

Again, I’ve only recently begun floating golf balls, but of all the balls I’ve tested, it is rare to find a perfectly balanced ball.

It looks like the XV had 5 out of 6 that were good vs Q Star Tour had 4 out of 6 - is that right? Wouldn't that make the XV most consistent? Maybe I'm misreading it

• Like 1

Played today in 15-25 MPH winds with gusts higher and struck the ball so, so well. I played primarily the XV, though I played a few holes with the Z Star. These balls are exceptionally good in the wind for me - neither one ballooned although the XV is just a bit better for me, though the differences are mostly just nitpicky things. One interesting thing - I hit one particular wedge shot hard and low to push the ball forward in the wind and it put a pretty good scuff on the ball. This is the worst scuff I've seen and this retired the ball but I had played it for 47 holes so that's acceptable

IMG_4100.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like the XV had 5 out of 6 that were good vs Q Star Tour had 4 out of 6 - is that right? Wouldn't that make the XV most consistent? Maybe I'm misreading it

XV most consistent, yes. What I was saying was that the Q-Tour had the most perfectly balanced of the three. Top row was either perfectly balanced or very slow rotation back towards heavy side.

Played today in 15-25 MPH winds with gusts higher and struck the ball so, so well. I played primarily the XV, though I played a few holes with the Z Star. These balls are exceptionally good in the wind for me - neither one ballooned although the XV is just a bit better for me, though the differences are mostly just nitpicky things. One interesting thing - I hit one particular wedge shot hard and low to push the ball forward in the wind and it put a pretty good scuff on the ball. This is the worst scuff I've seen and this retired the ball but I had played it for 47 holes so that's acceptable

IMG_4100.jpg.8cb8dc1f8a0edf3efcd9ef3fee1be7a2.jpg

Man I’m trying to get on your level of ball longevity. Nothing worse than pulling a brand new ball out of the box and sending it straight into the water or woods. 🤬

Played all 18 holes today with the same XV. Hit lots of 70-80yd shots to inside 10ft (just couldn’t make lots of the putts, one more roll.....).

Out of the rough I only had one ball that went farther than I thought it would, but even then it was just off the fringe.

The ball is still in good enough shape to play again next round.

• Like 1

I finally got to put the Z-Star XV into play for nine holes today, and I was impressed. Shot 47 hitting 6/7 fairways and 3/9 greens in regulation.

My observations:

Driver. The Z-Star XV was definitely accurate for me today. I did notice my distance was down, but that was more of me not hitting consistently on The face of the driver. I noticed a couple that were off the heel and I hit some low on the face. The only shot that missed the fairway I sliced on the third hole. The XV gave me a lower, more penetrating ball flight that will definitely come in handy in a windy day.

Irons. I was hitting my distances pretty well and the ball flight about the same as normal. Definitely felt good off the face.

Wedges. I like it, I had decent stopping power, even though a storm had passed through last night and the course was wet. I did get some roll out, but it was definitely less than I'm used to, even with a wet ball and wedge. The first hole I hit driver 239 and was left with a 60 yard shot that I skulled, but it hit the green and stopped about 20 feet from the pitch mark.

Putter. It felt good, but my putting skills leave something to be desired, 22 total for nine holes. I have no credibility when it comes to judging anything when it comes to putting, other than to say it felt good.

Keep up the good work guys! We're out here listening to what you have to say and you definitely influenced me to try this ball.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2