TESTERS WANTED! ×

WRIST INJURY

I hit a tree root with an 8 iron (in the middle of the fairway!!!!) and sprained my wrist (level 1) 10 weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience. The wrist bones and ligaments are really complicated. I've been using light weight dumbbells and resistance bands plus electro stimulation. 
I'm finally able to hit 30 yard pitch shots and putt. Of course, I only feel the ligament when my wrist cocks in my backswing. I´m still a bit gun shy about hitting full shots. 

I usually play 3x per week so 10 weeks feels like an eternity. I don't want to reinjure the wrist so I'm being overly cautious. Its also late fall here in Uruguay so the weather is in the low 60s and rainy.

Please advise. 

Ouch....here's to a speedy recovery

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

17 minutes ago, Sinewave said:

jlukes,

I'm looking into it now. Thanks for the heads up.

Sinewave

I was skeptical at first but someone on here recommended it to me. Couldn't believe how well it worked. Let me swing a club almost immediately with it on and then after wearing itself for a few weeks all of the pain was gone 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I was skeptical at first but someone on here recommended it to me. Couldn't believe how well it worked. Let me swing a club almost immediately with it on and then after wearing itself for a few weeks all of the pain was gone 

Wonder if they make something like this for thumbs

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

About 4 weeks ago both of my wrists started hurting for no apparent reason; right was worse than the left.  I didn't hit anything; they just started hurting.  At my age I thought it was my new pain for the year... I did have a birthday.  

My wrists did not hurt to play except on a poorly struck driver.  Iron shots off the ground were fine too since I don't take a big divot.  Last week, my left wrist started feeling better and now it is pain free.  My right wrist still hurts when I move it in a funny motion; I try not to do that.  lol.  If it hurt to swing a club, I would see a doctor, but it's been OK to play; even shot my best round of the year last weekend... 77.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That stinks, hope you get back in the game soon. I was playing yesterday and saw some big tree roots in the fairway, and I thought to myself that if my ball landed up there, that I would move it away from the root. Courses should really fix those types of things off they are in the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I've injured both wrists in a similar fashion while golfing.  It's always a fat shot that does it.  While I'm not familiar with the wrist widget product, I can vouch that the area it provides support is spot on.  I used to apply one strip of 1/2" medical tape above and below the end of the ulna and that's the only thing that allowed me to play pain free.  Fortunately I've had no problems for a while but I still tape if I play in cold weather or if I know the conditions are going to be too firm.  Wrist injuries are positively maddening; I hope you get some relief soon.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my Wrist Widget and it feels great. I'm in week 12 now but my wrist sure feels more secure wearing it. Once it warms up here I´ll be able to test out hitting shots. I've already sent for a second one to have a backup.

Thanks for the recommendation. Pay it forward.

Did anyone see JT Poston grab his wrist on the Sunday back nine of the Rocket Mortgage? I hope his wrist didn't suffer the same fate. He sure earned a nice check that day. Michelle Wie, Charl Schwartzl, Justin Thomas have all have wrist issues. Make sure you all are cognizant of hitting shots near a tree.

Saludos,

Sinewave 

I had a similar incident a few years ago I hit when what turned out to be hardpan rather than sand in a bunker (a Pete Dye pot bunker at Peninsula Golf Resort in Lancaster, KY).  

It hurt pretty bad at the time then it was sore for several days. I took a couple weeks off (after finishing the round, of course) then eased my way back into swinging like you are. To this day, I still get an occasional sharp pain in the back of my wrist.

Sounds to me like you’ve done the right things. Rest, physical therapy / exercise,  gradual return to full swings. I think the main thing is listen to your body. If it hurts, don’t do it.

Good luck to you!

I decided to order the wrist widget, although my wrists are starting to feel better.  I still play and I don't feel any pain... mostly, but I still feel some pain when I move it wrong during the day.

I ordered it on June 29; it's supposed to be here tomorrow, July 9.  It takes 10 days to travel 900 miles???  I've driven  it in one day!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the Wrist Widget feedback. I'm back to full time playing again. Now I wear one on both wrists for mental security. I also literally probe the ground before each shot now as I never want to go through 3 months of hell again. A pine tree lined course has roots spread all around like you won't believe. 

Do your pre round stretch to include your wrists. Let's be careful out there. (Hill St. Blue reference)