Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Golf Travel Destination on East Coast?

Hey everyone my family tries to plan a vacation every summer and I’m in here looking for suggestions. My dad and I play a ton and are looking for somewhere along the East coast of the US to play. The only real requirements is that it is in a coastal town outside of NY (already from NY and have been to Long Island hundreds of times). I’ve been looking around at Kiawah and Hilton Head in SC but am completely open to other suggestions. 

Thanks 

EDIT - my brother and I are each in our 20s so not looking at “kid” oriented places

Edited by Nttom

Driver:          :titelist-small:           913 D2                                    Irons:           :titelist-small:            714 Ap1 4-6, Ap2 7-PW    

Wood:          :taylormade-small:    V-Steel                                    Wedges:      :titelist-small:            Sm7 50, 54, 58

Hybrid:        :titelist-small:            816 H1                                    Putter:        :odyssey-small:  White Hot #7

Think those are both awesome choices. Lots of great golf at Myrtle Beach as well. Marriott has a very nice resort there on the beach, also several great golf resorts like Barefoot. Played the Dye Club there about 6 weeks ago. Fantastic! Wherever you go, have fun & play well!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Hilton Head if it's adults only, Myrtle Beach if kids are along.  Both are fun destinations IMO

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

2 hours ago, Nttom said:

Hey everyone my family tries to plan a vacation every summer and I’m in here looking for suggestions. My dad and I play a ton and are looking for somewhere along the East coast of the US to play. The only real requirements is that it is in a coastal town outside of NY (already from NY and have been to Long Island hundreds of times). I’ve been looking around at Kiawah and Hilton Head in SC but am completely open to other suggestions. 

Thanks 

Check out Edisto Island, SC.  A little off the beaten path but well worth the effort to get there in my opinion.  The entire Island is a nature preserve, complete with a nice Serpentarium.  Some great deals in renting houses on AirBnB.  Dolphins are an almost constant sight from any area of the beach. 

As for the golf, the Plantation Course is always in great shape with very reasonable rates and they love visitors.  You won't find better hospitality anywhere in the golfing industry.  I believe they even offer weekly rates where you can play all you want for a week at a discounted rate.  The entire playing surface, including greens, are Seashore Paspalum.  If you aren't familiar, google it.  It's the craziest surface you will ever play on.  

http://theplantationcourseatedisto.com/

I will warn you, the entire island is a "commercial free" zone.  You won't find chain restaurants, shopping or other modern conveniences to which we are so accustomed.  The wonderful restaurants are all locally sourced and locally owned.  There is a BiLo just over the bridge as you enter the island that is not much bigger than a local gas station.  They have the basics and that's about it. 

The seclusion is amazing and extremely relaxing.  This is the drive into Botany Bay Plantation.

Edisto.thumb.jpg.f65433ddce25b66f4bf5342857fc1c53.jpg

Pop up to Nova Scotia and Play Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links. Both are top 30 in the world. You can play The Cape Breton Highland Links too, its an hour away or so from Cabot and is top 100 in the world. Great hospitality and seafood too of course.

:titelist-small: TS2 - 9.0 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

:titelist-small: Ts2 - 3 Wood

:titelist-small: TS2 - 7 Wood

:titelist-small: AP1 716 - 6i - Wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey Wedges

Clevland Huntington Beach 1 Putter

I would definitely recommend Myrtle Beach especially for a couple of guys in their 20s. The Myrtle Beach area has close to 100 golf courses to chose from and if put together a package you can get a decent rate per round. After Golf you’ll have the beach, great bars and incredible food.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Stick with Kiawah and Hilton Head!!!! I prefer the courses in those areas over Myrtle any day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

For quality golf, Hilton Head/Kiawah/Charleston .... for lots of different courses and better nightlife, Myrtle Beach

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Don't forget about Cape Cod. There are plenty of fantastic courses all along the Cape and even up towards Plymouth & Boston that are a fairly easy drive from the Cape (as long as you're not driving in peak traffic times). 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Born and raised in South Carolina I’ve spent many a day in both the Hilton Head area and Myrtle Beach.

Hilton Head has some great courses with a much more subdued nightlife. If you are looking for a low key, relaxing, golf oriented vacation Hilton Head is a good choice. Plus you are close enough to make a day trip to Savannah.

If your focus is the complete vacation experience I recommend Myrtle Beach. The nightlife is much more up beat, the restaurants in Murrels Inlet are incredible and there are Golf Courses galore to choose from.

If I’m young, single and adventurous 🥳 I would do Myrtle. If I’m more reserve and just want to hang with the fam I’d do Hilton Head.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Check out Edisto Island, SC.  A little off the beaten path but well worth the effort to get there in my opinion.  The entire Island is a nature preserve, complete with a nice Serpentarium.  Some great deals in renting houses on AirBnB.  Dolphins are an almost constant sight from any area of the beach. 
As for the golf, the Plantation Course is always in great shape with very reasonable rates and they love visitors.  You won't find better hospitality anywhere in the golfing industry.  I believe they even offer weekly rates where you can play all you want for a week at a discounted rate.  The entire playing surface, including greens, are Seashore Paspalum.  If you aren't familiar, google it.  It's the craziest surface you will ever play on.  
http://theplantationcourseatedisto.com/
I will warn you, the entire island is a "commercial free" zone.  You won't find chain restaurants, shopping or other modern conveniences to which we are so accustomed.  The wonderful restaurants are all locally sourced and locally owned.  There is a BiLo just over the bridge as you enter the island that is not much bigger than a local gas station.  They have the basics and that's about it. 
The seclusion is amazing and extremely relaxing.  This is the drive into Botany Bay Plantation.
Edisto.thumb.jpg.f65433ddce25b66f4bf5342857fc1c53.jpg

Edisto is awesome, but not a golf destination in my opinion. We just spent a week there at the end of April for a wedding. Played Plantation twice, and it WAS in great shape. But, it’s the only game in town (Island) and it’s a LONG way to play anywhere else. For a laid back beach vacay, maybe the best spot in SC!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

30 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

Edisto is awesome, but not a golf destination in my opinion. We just spent a week there at the end of April for a wedding. Played Plantation twice, and it WAS in great shape. But, it’s the only game in town (Island) and it’s a LONG way to play anywhere else. For a laid back beach vacay, maybe the best spot in SC!

Agreed, it's definitely not a golf destination!  But I didn't read the original post as looking for a golf destination only.  Rather a family vacation destination where him and his father could play some golf.  I might be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

Charleston is a good option.  Plenty of places to stay between Charleston, Isle of Palms etc. 

:taylormade-small:  M1 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black)

:callaway-small:           XR 15* (Project X Blue) 

:callaway-small:           XR 22* (Project X Blue)

:callaway-small:           Steelhead XR (True Temper XP)

:taylormade-small:  R9 48*

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 52* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 56* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 60* (KBS Tour)

:odyssey-small: Marxman Fang

:titelist-small:          PROV1X

One of the best resorts is in NYS. Turning Stone is top notch 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Kiawah is better than Myrtle in my opinion. However I would skip both and head to Pinehurst. I’m leaving tomorrow for my annual trip there. It’s not coastal but you can’t beat the courses there !!!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Kiawah is better than Myrtle in my opinion. However I would skip both and head to Pinehurst. I’m leaving tomorrow for my annual trip there. It’s not coastal but you can’t beat the courses there !!!

If you've been going for a few years, you know your way around, but if you need any advice on bars and restaurants, let me know.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia