Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Buy clubs w/ no fitting - debate and opinions

Hi guys,

I wanted to put up a question here just to see what you guys think.

In my case,  i'm a high handicaper but i'll put up the question generally..

If you can't be fitted for any reason (not having a fitter near you or any other reason) and can't try the clubs before you buy them what would you think should be the main criteria(s) for you to consider before you buy new clubs/replace your own. 

Because without being fitted or try it there's always a risk.

thanks.

:mizuno-small: ST180 9.5º w/ Aldila R.I.P. NV 65-3.8 Stiff Shaft

:mizuno-small: ST180 15º w/ Tensei 70 Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 21º w/ Tensei 70HY Regular Shaft

:srixon-small: Z 565 5-PW w/ Miyazaki 8S Shafts

:mizuno-small: S5 56.14 and 50.07

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline

Inesis Stand Bag

Ball: To be determined (now a mix of Srixon, Taylormade and Bridgestone)

:ShotScope:

Play the biggest iron head that suits your eye and gives the forgiveness you need. For shafts it’s going to be about feel. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, D_Golfer said:

Hi guys,

If you can't be fitted for any reason (not having a fitter near you or any other reason) and can't try the clubs before you buy them what would you think should be the main criteria(s) for you to consider before you buy new clubs/replace your own. 

thanks.

I always look at shapes that are familiar to me and choose shaft flexes/profiles similar to those I've had success with in the past. Swing speed can be a major consideration, but I wouldn't get too stuck on playing the same flex in every club because not all flexes are equal - meaning flexes are not standardized across the industry.

Truthfully, if you have no options but to take a leap of faith, buy the clubs you think you will enjoy most. When you get them, find a place to have them checked for loft and lie - it helps if you know what standard is and have a professional check your lie angle.

In my experience, I'm much more willing to make a less-than-ideal club work if I like it - looks, feel, sound, materials. If I were to buy shovels in hopes they'd give me a greater chance for success and then they didn't, I'd be pretty bummed about it and less enthused to get better. NOTE: I've done this in the past, and it was horrible experience.

Don't take that as me saying you should buy blades or anything crazy like that, but I wouldn't go buying clubs with the largest heads either.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Check out U-Try at GlobalGolf.com - you can trial almost anything for a small fee. Also, many manufacturers are introducing their own demo programs; for example, check out Wilson Golf's.

@GlobalGolf.com

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hi guys,
thanks.

PING has an online fitting tool. While this tool is not the absolute best answer it does serve as a suitable substitute. PING is also a good choice for they have long been the average man’s Golf equipment supplier. While they definitely have their Player’s clubs for the most part they have great offering for the mid to high handicapper.

The use of PINGs automated fitting tool doesn’t mean you must buy PING irons. The results will give you a lie, length and shaft recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

If you're buying without a fitting, then picking clubs that fit your eye and golfing profile should be at the top of the list. Shafts are also key, because even a head that works for you, let's say SGI since you're a higher handicapper that needs help, matched up with a shaft that *doesn't* work, isn't going to perform as well for you.

For the record, up until last year I was never fitted for any of my clubs except for a driver where I took a bunch of swings at Dick's and the guy at the counter said "stick with regular shafts". Some of the sets I hit well, some I didn't. So it is a crapshoot. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Honestly its almost impossible to not have a fitter somewhere within an hour or two. Its worth the drive. You’re spending all this money to play better, spend the extra little bit to make them 110% suited to your swing. Its really worth it, find a fitter and get there. 

To what extent do you know what to look for when being fit?

I think you could lean on some wise people here to steer you in the right direction if you absolutely cannot get to a fitter.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I would recommend the ping online fitting tool, which you could also use as a guideline for other brands. The Global golf U-try is a great recommendation as well and i think some other stores or brands might do something similar where they send you a demo set to try, which is probably the best way to see what you like. 

Other ideas:

- Use the MGS rankings for your given category, they know what they are talking about and i don't think you can go  wrong. 

-You can try paying the $30 true-fit fee or whatever it is for their online fitting tool

-Parlay a trip to a bigger city or vacation with a club fitting, there are so many places that do it now and it and a basic fitting doesn't take that long.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

On 6/20/2019 at 7:44 PM, russtopherb said:

Shafts are also key, because even a head that works for you, let's say SGI since you're a higher handicapper that needs help, matched up with a shaft that *doesn't* work, isn't going to perform as well for you.

For the record, up until last year I was never fitted for any of my clubs except for a driver where I took a bunch of swings at Dick's and the guy at the counter said "stick with regular shafts". Some of the sets I hit well, some I didn't. So it is a crapshoot. 

I agree - especially on the point about different sets being a 'crapshoot'. I'm a high handicapper and was very surprised at the results of my iron fitting. The clubs and shafts I had a preference for had much poorer results (Trackman) then the final recommendation.  Not sure of your proximity to fitters in Portugal, D_Golfer, but if not available, then perhaps renting different sets could be a possibility? I know when we played in Australia, we were able to rent "premium sets" which were basically new golf clubs.  Another alternative is getting advice from an instructor you have confidence in. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don’t have much to add but can throw my 2 cents in since I’m one to tinker and buy without getting fit. When it comes to clubs for me it’s all about look. I also have an idea of what shafts work for me in both irons and woods which also helps the process as well. I may then go and get lie angles tweaked a bit but overall I’ve had good success with focusing on those two areas.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Can I add a wrinkle? I have in past bought 2-4 years old clubs off eBay to save on the depreciation. Obviously did not trial those. Am considering irons in near future. How can you get fit in this situation?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

3 hours ago, Rchang said:

Can I add a wrinkle? I have in past bought 2-4 years old clubs off eBay to save on the depreciation. Obviously did not trial those. Am considering irons in near future. How can you get fit in this situation?

My advice would be to find similar heads to what you are looking at on ebay and try to determine the best shaft for you.  I have had good luck sticking with a particular shaft and then moving to other clubs.    My club champion recommendation was KBS Tours,  the Mizuno Swing Optimizer recommended KBS Tours so I stick with that with any set of clubs I put in the bag.   For my hybrids I was fit into KBS Prototype so that is what I put in all my hybrids.     I just need to find my preferred driver shaft and I am all set.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The most forgiving with a satisfying to me appearance at address. The weakest shaft that will hold up to my swing and that I can control. I'd also take note of my present ballfilght on well struck shots, particularly with irons.

I noted years ago that my purest contact resulted in prounounced draws, sometimes overcooked. Didn't want to get fit so I fit myself. Measured my irons, then went 3° flatter for my next purchase and 1/2" shorter, just as a guess. Worked, best contact resulted in baby draws. I was still an inconsistent golfer but my best finally offered the best results for me. BUT... shafts were the same so the assessment was therefore easier.

For driver, I'd go with the most forgiving out there, think in the ballpark of the G400 Max or similar. Same for 3W and/or hybrids. With all clubs, I'd elevate forgiveness substantially higher than distance.

Wedges, I'd personally go larger like Callaway PM Grind or Fourteen RM-22J. More surface area, muy bueno.

As to shafts, it's kind of a dance between what you're getting out of what you have now vs what you'd like to see. I used to hit the ball very high with driver and swung fast so I eventually gravitated toward low/low shafts.

Now that I'm getting older at 51 and STILL have never been fit, I'm gravitating more toward mid-launch lower spinning shafts in order to steal more air time.

Self fitting stinks as to the trial and error involved but the constantly buying new stuff to test is fun. Just have to be honest with yourself in evaluating, don't artificially fall for a particular brand or product, only play what works and assess from there.

It's worked for me since 1992. But I really gotta check out what all the buzz is around this fitting phenomena.

I also started playing without proper fitting. Cost was an issue since everything here in Europe is more expensive and I wasn't sure how long I would be stuck with golf.

Do you have an older set you are playing now or are you starting from 0?

If you have a set now or someone gave you a 7i to try golf, then you got a baseline. How far do you hit it? This gives you an idea of shaft flex (which is also a guesstimate). Do you like steel or graphite? It all depends on your age and physical ability.

How does the head feel? Forgiving? Can you launch the ball easily? Do you like what you see? Shovels or thinner line?

Once you have this narrowed down, it's time to read reviews and look for clubs that compare to the one you hit. Then you try to score deals on eBay, since in Europe I don't think you have those trying programs like in the US.

This is obviously not the best solution, but it is definitely possible to break 100 without fitted clubs.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 6/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, D_Golfer said:

Well, even if you cannot be "fitted" by someone, you can still establish some vital DIY measurements.  Most of the club mfg's. offer on-line static measurement tools for shaft length and grip size. There are also some on-line sites that explain how to conduct a strike test, with using a piece of tape on the sole of a club having the proper shaft length, to determine lie. I'll bet there is a pro shop near you that would be willing to get your swing speed for free. 

If you were to contact most any of the club mfg's with this information, and also explain your typical ball flight (fader, slicer, etc.), they would be able to recommend best options.

The good news is that there is so many great options to choose from.  The bad news is that there is so many great options to choose from 😀.  If you're really limited on budget, I would look for a gently used set of a game improvement (GI) or super game improvement (SGI) irons.  Also, focus on some of the best selling models from PING, Titleist, Callaway, etc.  Yes, a portion of their sales volume is associated with great advertising, but a much greater portion of their success is due to their customers success on the course.

Good luck with the search!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Find a local country club or driving range near you that might have demo programs.  As others have mentioned, online sites like ping have static fittings to point you into a general direction for clubs and MGS has some very knowledgeable golfers that can help you too.  One other overlooked resource...other golfers you golf with or know.  Some may even allow you to try their clubs to narrow down your likes and dislikes.  

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

14 hours ago, Rchang said:

Same process as op.  Test similar irons or shafts you might be interested in.  Also helps to know some of your basic stats like swing speed, tempo, etc.. to help you narrow your choices.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

On the other hand, tinkering with eBay buying, reselling, actually costs more in the long run. I speak from experience, in my first 4 years of golf, I bought and sold so many clubs due to self-fitting. I was never able to get the original value back.

Once I got my fitting, I was confident enough to play them for 4 years until something new came along... and in my case, my swing evolved (I went from KBS Tour to PX to Modus).

Like someone else recommended, financial sitution allowing, maybe take a vacation somewhere near a fitting location.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but do you have any golfing buddies with newer clubs you could try out at the range?  That would be my first stop if I was unable to be fit.  See if anyone I golf with has what I'm interested in and try it out.

As far as main criteria I would think about.  What is it I want out of a new club compared to what I'm playing?  Do you want more distance?  Foregiveness?  Workability?  Consistency?  

Without knowing what you want out of a new club it's hard to point anyone in a direction to go.  

So I'd first figure out what you want out of a new club.  Then exhaust all local options of being able to hit something similar.  Then make use of the various online fitting tools from the different OEMs, both the club manufactures and the shaft OEM's.  After that make a best guess and try to find a head/shaft combo that you like.

Best of luck with the search!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but do you have any golfing buddies with newer clubs you could try out at the range?  That would be my first stop if I was unable to be fit.  See if anyone I golf with has what I'm interested in and try it out.

As far as main criteria I would think about.  What is it I want out of a new club compared to what I'm playing?  Do you want more distance?  Foregiveness?  Workability?  Consistency?  

Without knowing what you want out of a new club it's hard to point anyone in a direction to go.  

So I'd first figure out what you want out of a new club.  Then exhaust all local options of being able to hit something similar.  Then make use of the various online fitting tools from the different OEMs, both the club manufactures and the shaft OEM's.  After that make a best guess and try to find a head/shaft combo that you like.

Best of luck with the search!

I mentioned it in post #17... Great minds think alike 😁

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

11 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I mentioned it in post #17... Great minds think alike 😁

MDGolfHacker

Ha ha...whoops.   Great idea and reading is hard some times 🙂

Great suggestions guys! Thank you!

As i think i've mentioned i'm a high handicaper and i've started to play golf almost nine months ago so not a long time ago.

I already have about 12 clubs in the bag and the main criterias at this point were cost (budget is a little tight around here) need and looks. I've tried to buy when good opportunities appeared (of course i would for opinions and reviews online before).

I think my irons were a steal! 120€ for mizuno jpx900 forged 9 iron+4 iron mp fli hi and 5 to pw (without 9) jpx850 forged!

I think my putter was where i spent a little bit more. 

I think i'll try to get fitted at some point just to get my specs right as you guys have mentioned! But it's hard for me to think that i would gain a lot with a fit without having a good and consistent game and swing already.

Your thoughts about this last part???

Thanks again guys.

:mizuno-small: ST180 9.5º w/ Aldila R.I.P. NV 65-3.8 Stiff Shaft

:mizuno-small: ST180 15º w/ Tensei 70 Stiff Shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 21º w/ Tensei 70HY Regular Shaft

:srixon-small: Z 565 5-PW w/ Miyazaki 8S Shafts

:mizuno-small: S5 56.14 and 50.07

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline

Inesis Stand Bag

Ball: To be determined (now a mix of Srixon, Taylormade and Bridgestone)

:ShotScope:

6 hours ago, D_Golfer said:

But it's hard for me to think that i would gain a lot with a fit without having a good and consistent game and swing already.

Your thoughts about this last part???

Thanks again guys.

You're going to get both sides of the camp on that question, but here's my thoughts...

Everybody can benefit from a fitting.  Might even be more important when starting out.  At a minimum I think it's very important to get proper lengths and lie angles as well as a shaft flex that's in the ball park for your swing.  If you don't have those things you could just be developing bad habits in your swing due to improperly fit clubs.  You might not need to dial in a full bag fitting to the same extent as the pro's, but getting the basics done can absolutely help when starting out and trying to dial in a swing.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, D_Golfer said:

In this scenario, for me the first thing is going to be price considerations.  No sense spending a lot of money taking a chance on a club.  This is especially true if I can't go to a store to at least pick it up and hold it in my hands. 

As @hckymeyer said above.  A basic fitting to ensure you get the right length and lie, or at least somewhere near will help you a lot.  I got my first set second hand from a club pro shop and that stuff was checked at the tome i bought them.  It is also fairly easy to fix unless they are far off.  Shaft weight and stiffness etc are probably less critical, especially for a beginner, but if you can get them optimised for you then do so.

I think there's a lot of value to be gleaned from a fitting, even if you don't end up buying a fitted set. Any half-decent fitter isn't going to force a sale on you if they can't beat your current set, but also you might learn that you're far more consistent than you believe. Consistent of course could mean 20 yards right 75% of the time. Not ideal, no, but still, that's quite consistent. You could also have exceptionally consistent delivery, but changes in strike causing different results. A good fitting can help just as much as a lesson in some cases for learning about the golf swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

• 1 month later...

•  If your impact zone is the size of a dime, it would seem that a professional fitting would be worth your while. However, if it's the size of a silver dollar, it would seem to be a waste of time and money. You would probably be better off to settle for a free online fitting at Ping n Flight and to spend your savings on lessons and practice.

Now, if that is a reasonable assessment, then there must be a crossover point between the size of a silver dollar and the size of a dime.  Anybody care to venture where that might be?

• Most better players would agree that you should be fitted for clubs with the same ball that you intend to use in play.  That makes a lot of sense to me.  So, does it make sense to be fitted with range balls?  Or even Pro V1s if your budget rebells against paying that much for balls?  I doubt it. 

While we're on this subject, I wonder if anybody knows how the playing properties of a ball change with successive impacts. My own balls rarely make it through 18 holes.  Balls used in professional fittings have usually seen far more impacts than mine ever do.