D_Golfer

Buy clubs w/ no fitting - debate and opinions

2 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but do you have any golfing buddies with newer clubs you could try out at the range?  That would be my first stop if I was unable to be fit.  See if anyone I golf with has what I'm interested in and try it out.

As far as main criteria I would think about.  What is it I want out of a new club compared to what I'm playing?  Do you want more distance?  Foregiveness?  Workability?  Consistency?  

Without knowing what you want out of a new club it's hard to point anyone in a direction to go.  

So I'd first figure out what you want out of a new club.  Then exhaust all local options of being able to hit something similar.  Then make use of the various online fitting tools from the different OEMs, both the club manufactures and the shaft OEM's.  After that make a best guess and try to find a head/shaft combo that you like.

Best of luck with the search!

I mentioned it in post #17... Great minds think alike 😁

MDGolfHacker

11 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I mentioned it in post #17... Great minds think alike 😁

MDGolfHacker

Ha ha...whoops.   Great idea and reading is hard some times 🙂

• Like 2

Great suggestions guys! Thank you!

As i think i've mentioned i'm a high handicaper and i've started to play golf almost nine months ago so not a long time ago.

I already have about 12 clubs in the bag and the main criterias at this point were cost (budget is a little tight around here) need and looks. I've tried to buy when good opportunities appeared (of course i would for opinions and reviews online before).

I think my irons were a steal! 120€ for mizuno jpx900 forged 9 iron+4 iron mp fli hi and 5 to pw (without 9) jpx850 forged!

I think my putter was where i spent a little bit more. 

I think i'll try to get fitted at some point just to get my specs right as you guys have mentioned! But it's hard for me to think that i would gain a lot with a fit without having a good and consistent game and swing already.

Your thoughts about this last part???

Thanks again guys.

6 hours ago, D_Golfer said:

But it's hard for me to think that i would gain a lot with a fit without having a good and consistent game and swing already.

Your thoughts about this last part???

Thanks again guys.

You're going to get both sides of the camp on that question, but here's my thoughts...

Everybody can benefit from a fitting.  Might even be more important when starting out.  At a minimum I think it's very important to get proper lengths and lie angles as well as a shaft flex that's in the ball park for your swing.  If you don't have those things you could just be developing bad habits in your swing due to improperly fit clubs.  You might not need to dial in a full bag fitting to the same extent as the pro's, but getting the basics done can absolutely help when starting out and trying to dial in a swing.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, D_Golfer said:

If you can't be fitted for any reason (not having a fitter near you or any other reason) and can't try the clubs before you buy them what would you think should be the main criteria(s) for you to consider before you buy new clubs/replace your own. 

In this scenario, for me the first thing is going to be price considerations.  No sense spending a lot of money taking a chance on a club.  This is especially true if I can't go to a store to at least pick it up and hold it in my hands. 

As @hckymeyer said above.  A basic fitting to ensure you get the right length and lie, or at least somewhere near will help you a lot.  I got my first set second hand from a club pro shop and that stuff was checked at the tome i bought them.  It is also fairly easy to fix unless they are far off.  Shaft weight and stiffness etc are probably less critical, especially for a beginner, but if you can get them optimised for you then do so.

I think there's a lot of value to be gleaned from a fitting, even if you don't end up buying a fitted set. Any half-decent fitter isn't going to force a sale on you if they can't beat your current set, but also you might learn that you're far more consistent than you believe. Consistent of course could mean 20 yards right 75% of the time. Not ideal, no, but still, that's quite consistent. You could also have exceptionally consistent delivery, but changes in strike causing different results. A good fitting can help just as much as a lesson in some cases for learning about the golf swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app