GolfSpy STUDque

2019 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTBx Golf Balls

36 on Sunday. MTB-X vs. Srixon XV.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

36 on Sunday. MTB-X vs. Srixon XV.

I can’t wait for the review. That’s probably the only ball I didn’t test it against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

MTBx vs Callaway Chromesoft Truvis today.

IMG_0598.jpg

• Like 5

And we have a winner...

Results?

You’ll just have to wait and see.

• Like 7

The Callaway Truvis won today, but it wasn’t exactly a fair fight. I played the front 9 with some scuffed up MTBx’s but the Callaways were practically new. I wasn’t hitting the ball well at all today. But I did a bit better after I switched to the Callaways on the back 9.

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0609.jpg

• Like 3

Here’s a few thoughts to nibble on so far. Z Star longer off the tee for me than the MTB-X. Lowest round of the year with MTB-X. Z Star more durable. Started tournament with Z Star and played it for 2 holes. Played the remaining 43 holes with MTB-X. I will never go back to a “soft” ball.

• Like 6

Wanted to say a big, "THANK YOU," to everyone who posted pictures and commented about the optic yellow color. I ordered a dozen yellow MTB Blacks last week, and after playing 36 holes in the last 18 hours, I can safely say I probably will not switch back to a white ball. 

The yellow was so much easier to track in flight and see in the grass. As I play a ton of rounds by myself, this is huge for me. This morning I hit a few that I lost on the way up, but because of the color I was able to pick the ball up on its descent. Sped up my play a ton because I spent almost no time looking for my ball during the last two rounds.

As far as durability goes, I'm impressed. I played all 36 holes with the same ball, hit somewhere between 10-15 trees, and besides a few discolored marks, there is not a scuff or sign of any cover damage on the ball. 

IMG_07072019_111240_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg.a4b8c10c1a9adc702340ac45f2ed8274.jpg

IMG_07072019_111229_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg.ecceeee796c7b0afc5b8acec05878181.jpg

• Like 7

I’m not going to lie, I’be been thinking about doing this as well

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Played with the Snell today and I got to say - I was impressed... just as good as the PV1, 1x and Bridgestone...

• Like 5

Quick notes from my rounds with the MTB-X, at first I was ballooning them like crazy and coming up way short on everything from top to bottom of the bag (minus the putter)...

I’ve made a grip adjustment over the past month or so, I was leaning towards a weak grip again. Always seems like this happens in the middle of the year for me.

Practice update: if it isn’t raining tomorrow I plan to go spend a hour or so on the short game area. My practice is paying off in this part of my game. Going to see if the MTB-X is a bit gripper on those “forced checkers”...

I’ll update if I get rained out.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Played with the Snell today and I got to say - I was impressed... just as good as the PV1, 1x and Bridgestone...

I notice zero spin differences between these balls. Maybe there's a few RPM's here or there but the performance is definitely there.

If they sold them without a label there'd be nobody who could tell a difference.

• Like 4

On 7/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, GC70 said:

I can’t wait for the review. That’s probably the only ball I didn’t test it against.

I wish I could come here and give you a definite this ball is better but it was a wash in my opinion.  The XV was quite a bit longer than the MTB-X has been for me off the tee but I putted horribly with it.  More detail in my final review.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I notice zero spin differences between these balls. Maybe there's a few RPM's here or there but the performance is definitely there.

If they sold them without a label there'd be nobody who could tell a difference.

I am right there with you on this one.

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

On Saturday, MattF gave me an MTB-X. I was also impressed. It sounded and felt a little firmer than the Z Star I have been playing, but it seemed to react around the green much like the Red, which I liked a lot.

• Like 2

I was on the course yesterday and found a Snell MTB-X White (I’m testing yellow) so that’s another win for me!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Rained out

I played 9 yesterday with the MTBx. I certainly like it better now than when I started my evaluation. But not enough to choose it over the Snell Get Sum or Srixon Soft Feel. Both are adequate for my game and budget.

IMG_0613.jpg

• Like 1

Nothing like delivery hours between 8-5 to mess up my practice plans. Weather looks good for the rest of the week. Hopefully be able to get these things back out to the short game area.

Anyone have any specific questions that haven’t been answered yet?

• Like 1

Nothing like delivery hours between 8-5 to mess up my practice plans. Weather looks good for the rest of the week. Hopefully be able to get these things back out to the short game area.

Anyone have any specific questions that haven’t been answered yet?

I apologize for not having combed through the thread, but I have read that these aren’t showing the distance differences that were in the ball test. You agree? Not longer than premium balls like V1X/XV/Tour B X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

I apologize for not having combed through the thread, but I have read that these aren’t showing the distance differences that were in the ball test. You agree? Not longer than premium balls like V1X/XV/Tour B X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I personally am not seeing any distance, but it isn’t 10 yards short. It’s a yard or 2 with the driver. That is probably me over the ball.

But I am not seeing the green side spin that I’d like yet.
  • Like 3