TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forearm Compression Strap

fixyurdivot

As time rolls along, my left elbow tends to flare up more and more.  The pain is on the outside of the elbow and I don't play tennis, so it's Golfer's Elbow 😉.  

https://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/elbow-pain/lateral-elbow-pain

It dosen't bother me much while playing, but rather aches afterwards.  I see some of the Champion Tour players (Scott McCarron, Jerry Kelly, etc.) wearing compression style bands.  When I simply squeeze my forearm, while it's smarting, it does reduce the discomfort quite a bit. I'm considering trying one of these to see if it will reduce the amount of wear, stretch, whatever, on that tendon.  

Love to hear from anyone using these and how they perform.  Did it take time getting use to it? Also, what make/model do you use and was it doctor suggested?  The surgery route will be something I will go to great lengths to avoid.  80-90% success rate and 2-3 months in a immobilizer brace followed by PT sounds terrible.

image.png.2f46dabf24146fdc221c467bd8ba05fa.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't use/need one but a buddy of mine has been wearing one off and on for years. Swears by it. If I needed one I'm sure I'd give it a go. Beats riding the pine.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Mike Weir wears something like that as well. Has done for several years. I think it would take a bit of time to get used to but the benefits to playing with less pain are worth it. I need to wear a bulky ankle brace when I play stemming from a high ankle sprain a few years ago. It's a pain in the butt to put on and took some getting used to when playing but not having the pain is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I used to wear one. My pain was in my thumb but the doc said it was caused by something higher. She was right. It takes a little bit to get used to but not much and was much better than the alternative, which was not playing. Mine was not fancy, just a strap with Velcro. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

4 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I've tried them. Nothing as far as pain relief for me. Like usual, I just suck it up and live with the pain. I seem to do that a lot these days.

I'm really sorry that you have to do that, but I'm glad that I am not the only one!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

I'm really sorry that you have to do that, but I'm glad that I am not the only one!!  

I'm not quite 60 yet. I have abused my body most of my life...... full contact Karate, competitive Tennis, Mtn. Biking, Body building (not the right genetics).... I'm not sure what the future holds, but it doesn't seem promising...lol.

To be technical, whether it's caused by tennis or not, you have tennis elbow. Golfer's elbow is on the inside of the joint, tennis elbow is on the outside. It's always been a misnomer,  as golfer's get tennis elbow, tennis players get golfer's elbow.

I'm a sufferer. The elbow straps help limit my pain a little, but not by much. My doctor, a fairly famous hand surgeon,  says surgery is effective in less than 50% of cases, so that's out.  My best relief has been to focus on tricep strength exercises. Unfortunately you need to be very diligent with the exercise program, and I tend to be a slacker. I wish you better success! 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

12 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm not quite 60 yet. I have abused my body most of my life...... full contact Karate, competitive Tennis, Mtn. Biking, Body building (not the right genetics).... I'm not sure what the future holds, but it doesn't seem promising...lol.

Yeah, I did similar stuff.  Aikido, car racing, marathon, comp softball (slo- and fast pitch), and tournament volleyball until age 45.  My body didn't fully heal before the next game!!  So I took up golf.  Now, at 72 I seem to have a new pain every year, but the old pains haven't gone away!!  Ten years ago I could play golf all day on Sat and Sun, then play after work M-F until dark in the summer.  Now, after 18 on Sat and Sun, I'm dragging, and I have to walk 18 holes on Mondays.  That's why I only spend an hour or so on Tue-Fri practicing.  I need the rest.

I play less than I used to, but I'm practicing more and my game shows it.  I just wish I had today's game with my distance from 10 years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think I'm in for the same as you. I don't play near as much as  I used to.... or practice like I used to... and my game shows it...lol. Had I  known what a toll on my body my "activities" would take, I probably would have thought longer about it.... but probably not...lol.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:18 PM, Siamese Moose said:

My doctor, a fairly famous hand surgeon,  says surgery is effective in less than 50% of cases, so that's out.

Wow, that's worse than stated in a handful of articles I've read 😯. It would take chronic, serious pain to get to to accept those odds.

Yesterday, I played 27 holes and used a very simple velcro strap I use to secure fly rod tubes together.  Temp's were cool enough that I was wearing my 1/4 zip pullover, so I was able to hide it.  As I stated in my original post, I don't often feel any pain in the elbow during play but rather afterwards.  As such, I'm not sure if wearing it helped or not because the elbow has been sore (on and off) for a few weeks now.  What I read about them is that they help limit the stretch and strain on the tendon that connects to the bone.  I'll buy a popular model and give it a try - might be one of my better $20 investments.

12 minutes ago, poprocksncoke said:

Been wearing one of the generic velcro strap ones for a couple of months now.  It does help some but need to load up on the ibuprofen before playing. 

I have started taking Advil recently.  It seems to work a bit better for me than Ibuprofen and lasts a bit longer (12 hour version).  I also volunteer at a wood bank here in the valley where we cut and split firewood for folks in need.  Being the youngest of the crew, I have found myself on the chainsaws nearly all the time and that is probably not helping.  

Here is a good article I just found today about the issue, what tends to cause it, and some remedy.

http://golfitcarolina.com/articles/5-golfers-elbow-two-common-causes-.html 

I tried the exercise to show if I had "external rotation" issues with my shoulder - I do not.  I'm guessing it's just wear and tear from being less than gentle on myself in my younger years.  

I had a similar issue years ago. I ended up using a generic elbow support with pressure pads. It had a Velcro strap to put pressure on a gel pad. It is a tight sleeve that also supports and covers the elbow. It didn’t really hinder movement. You can pick them up at a pharmacy store so it is an inexpensive fix and might help

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

• 3 months later...

Hey all.  I wanted to provide an update on this.  I purchased and just started wearing this compression strap.  It had great reviews - though to be honest several did.  

https://www.amazon.com/SENTEQ-Elbow-Brace-Support-Strap/dp/B01GY7AIRW/ref=sr_1_33?dchild=1&keywords=forearm+band&qid=1570142989&sr=8-33

I've only worn it for a few days now but thus far find it quite comfortable, not bulky and, best of all, helping reduce the pain. For instance, today I was doing some spot spraying of weeds and sometimes holding the weight of the tank makes the elbow pinch - not so with this on 🤗.

I kind of like that it is a little wider than most and the velcro adjustment is really aggressive and holds.  I've taken some swings with it on and it feels fine and does not slide down.  Whether it does during play and when it's hot and I'm sweating is TBD.  Here's a couple of pictures of it.

forearm1.jpg.2920265bf118ed7fae96bdd72dfbdc7e.jpgforearm.jpg.a822a2a0db2ed926500c8fcf27fb48c7.jpg

I keep one in my bag for the occasional right forearm pain.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've got one very similar to that one @fixyurdivot and it works wonders. I started with the issues about 2.5 months ago, mostly due to work. As soon as I grabbed one of those straps the pain started to lessen. I've worn mine for 2 rounds of golf and every range session with a lot of success. I also wear it when I'm lifting/moving a lot and it's been a huge help.

I'm hopeful I won't need it come next season with a winter off to heal up, but it's been great. No issues with it feeling weird or an adjustment period.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the strap noted above.  I've played one round with it and it stayed in position all the way.  I also really don't notice it being on which is great.  We'll see how it works over the winter where we sometimes sweat in Yuma, AZ. Anyway, if others are looking for one of these, I'm giving it a 4.5 star review which will turn to 5 star if it works in the heat.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like I will try this. But I cant figure out how sharp pain right on the elbow is alleviated by compression on the forearm below the elbow? Maybe golfers elbow needs a different remedy? The fact it's probably a torn/fractured tendon that runs beside the elbow also makes me unsure how, or why this could work.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

8 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

looks like I will try this. But I cant figure out how sharp pain right on the elbow is alleviated by compression on the forearm below the elbow? Maybe golfers elbow needs a different remedy? The fact it's probably a torn/fractured tendon that runs beside the elbow also makes me unsure how, or why this could work.

Guy at work who also has it was telling me that the tendon swelling can impact nerves and pain receptors that trigger at certain points in your elbow. By putting pressure on the tendon you're actually relieving pressure on the nerves where you're feeling the pain. When I first had pain, he jammed his thumb into my forearm and sure enough it was immediately better. That's why the strap works to reduce pain, however the only real "cure" is rest and allowing the tendon to heal on it's own.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game