TESTERS WANTED! ×

Country Club Tournament Payouts

Wedgie

I joined a club mid year last year and didn't play in any tournaments.  This year I have had the chance to play in 2.  My first event was an ABCD tournament where the club randomly matched up 4 guys based on handicaps with A being the lowest and D being the highest.  To play it cost each player $68.  We won the event and the payout was $220 per team so we each got a $55 pro shop credit.  I lost $13 by winning.

This past weekend I played the member/member and it cost $120 a person to enter.  We won our flight and split $160 so $80 each in pro shop credit.  The overall winner won the $160 plus another $200 so after splitting their winnings they each made $60.  Luckily my partner and I bet $50 on ourselves to win our flight and got $150 cash for that.  Regardless my club made over $10,000 after payouts to each team.

The question is is this normal for a club to make so much profit from a club tournament and the actual winners to make so little?  For our efforts we got a box lunch day 1, a hod dog or burger lunch day 2 with bottled water provided.  If you wanted booze it was on you.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

While the club certainly makes money, our club always pays out well.  If you win, you actually "make" money (aka pro shop credit).  Honey pots and calcuttas are where the big money is, though as those are 100% payout for the members.  Our member-member, member-guests, and club championships are very generous.  Lesser tournaments not as much, but worthwhile, unless it's a fund raiser event and even then the payout is good.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Any of the tournaments I've played, the winners almost always get their money back and then some. Not sure what payouts look like for club tournaments where shop credit is given as I haven't played in many. Trying to change that this year though so maybe I'll have something to report back later.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I’ve never heard of an event of which you described that wasn’t revenue neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Everything you’ve described is unusual - yes the club will generate income from an event but normally the top 3 teams/players come out ahead.

Depending upon the event there’s normally a nice meal and at least a drink or 2 included. Heck at my club there’s a weekly putting game where you show up, throw in $5 and get free beer. The winner gets the pot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Maybe I should have added that we are a for profit club but geez can't a brother break even with a win?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

That sounds like you’re getting the shaft to me. In the tournament I’m playing in this weekend there are 5 flights, out of each flight winners get Callaway irons, second gets Callaway driver, third gets Callaway stand bag, fourth gets Callaway hybrid, and fifth gets a box of pro v. It’s $150 per person, that’s lunch both days and a practice round. Then there is a Calcutta auction the night before for 100% payback.

CobraConnectChallenge3

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Maybe I should have added that we are a for profit club but geez can't a brother break even with a win?

All clubs are for profit clubs .... your club is for all the profit 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

That sounds like you’re getting the shaft to me. In the tournament I’m playing in this weekend there are 5 flights, out of each flight winners get Callaway irons, second gets Callaway driver, third gets Callaway stand bag, fourth gets Callaway hybrid, and fifth gets a box of pro v. It’s $150 per person, that’s lunch both days and a practice round. Then there is a Calcutta auction the night before for 100% payback.

I'd rather lose the money than win Callaway gear.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

My club does the same sort of thing and then the GM will swear up and down it's all a break even. I'm like, uh my phone has a calculator.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

47 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

As my dad once told a car salesman during the negotiation, "I understand you guys have to make a profit, but you dont' have to make it all off ONE person"   I've remembered that for years!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Is that including the round of golf and cart?  How much is it for a normal weekend round with a cart?  Then add in the lunch and there probably isn't a ton of money out of that entry fee going in to the prize fund.  Then how many places do they pay out?  

I agree it's not a stellar pay out, but that fee also isn't all going to the prize fund.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just now, hckymeyer said:

Is that including the round of golf and cart?  How much is it for a normal weekend round with a cart?  Then add in the lunch and there probably isn't a ton of money out of that entry fee going in to the prize fund.  Then how many places do they pay out?  

I agree it's not a stellar pay out, but that fee also isn't all going to the prize fund.

We pay zero fee's for a round of golf and carts are $22 whether it is one or 2 riding.  

They paid out top 3 in each flight for the member/member and top 7 for the ABCD.

Singh Division

G. Cooper – D. Pizzo 28 pts $160 Team

A. Vecchio – A. Cotoia  27 pts $90 Team

M. Murphy – M. Iacono 25 pts $60 Team

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Yeah they are sticking it to you a little bit. Most of the monthly club events I play in, while the payout is not great the entry is not extreme and you get a decent meal at the end. The last one I played in we got 2nd as a team won $20 in shop credit ($25 entry) and we had good food for lunch. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

was it $68 including the cost of the cart? We pay a cart fee as members, example, our tournament costs 50 dollars, 20 to the cart, and 30 for the tourney. 100% of the 30 dollars is paid out in pro shop credit. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

We pay zero fee's for a round of golf and carts are $22 whether it is one or 2 riding.  

They paid out top 3 in each flight for the member/member and top 7 for the ABCD.

Singh Division

G. Cooper – D. Pizzo 28 pts $160 Team

A. Vecchio – A. Cotoia  27 pts $90 Team

M. Murphy – M. Iacono 25 pts $60 Team

The entry fee was 68 - the 22 cart fee which is 46 per man for payout

Lefties are always in their Right Mind