TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-PING Long Game Gapping Testing/Review

So I'll go into it in my fitting post, but I'l answer it here as well.
My Fitter James Lee a Master Fitter at PING HQ.  My fitting was a bit different as it was a full bag fitting (that was arranged for me through my course outside of MGS duties and paid my  own way..I say this just to answer any questions about objectivity) 
So we started with finding what irons would work for me.  We started and ended with the G410.  Then I hit a 6 iron and 7 iron with a couple different shafts.   After looking at the results of those we determined my shaft would be the KBS Tour 105 and 7 iron would be the stopping point for the irons.  I was hitting it consistently between 133 and 138.   The 6 was going anywhere from 131 to 146.  When I hit it solid, I hit it well, but I was less consistent with it. 
Then we hit driver (G410+) and got the distance on that around 205 on average.   So worked our way down from there finding a club that would go 185 to 190 (SFT 3W)  then 170 to 180 (SFT 7 Wood)  then 160-165 (9W), Then 150' to 155 (5 hybrid) finally 140 to 145 (6 hybid)---The club I made a hole in one on a couple weeks ago...distance to flag?......147 yards. 

Like Rev said, a lot of attetnion was paid to the flight as well, if I hit a iron or FW too low, we looked for options in shaft, or lofts settings to get them up, but the only one we had to adjust there was the 3w going with 17 degree. 

To be clear those are all carry distances, correct?
@Stroker it’s not a swing speed issue for the 6 iron, it’s an AoA issue if you want to call it that. My shallow AoA produces a nice, medium high baby draw. My SS is over 80 with 6 iron which is fine. When I’m on I carry it in the high 150’s and it runs out to 165.

In the long run I think the 6 will stay in over the hybrid.

The 9 wood is silly. Just came from the range - IMG_1113.JPG

Ripped all of these out of the rough peppering a flag that was 177 away - no way that happened with the old 5 hybrid it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

27 minutes ago, revkev said:

To be clear those are all carry distances, correct?
@Stroker it’s not a swing speed issue for the 6 iron, it’s an AoA issue if you want to call it that. My shallow AoA produces a nice, medium high baby draw. My SS is over 80 with 6 iron which is fine. When I’m on I carry it in the high 150’s and it runs out to 165.

In the long run I think the 6 will stay in over the hybrid.

The 9 wood is silly. Just came from the range - IMG_1113.JPG

Ripped all of these out of the rough peppering a flag that was 177 away - no way that happened with the old 5 hybrid it replaced.

Yes, those are carry, I'm a short hitter 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So this is pretty cool - so far we have a Crossover and a 9 Wood in play. My struggles with the hybrid are well documented so color me very interested in how both of those clubs perform out on the course for our testers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fitting process was a very interesting one, which I'll elaborate on later. But, like you, I also struggle with hybrids for whatever reason. So, there will be a couple crossovers being taken for a spin.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

1 hour ago, Rchang said:

Would wonder what makes a fitter pick hybrid vs similar lofted wood. Mark Crossfield just did a video about more pGA pros going for 7 woods vs the Europeans who used hybrids due to wanting different launch

Yeah, I'd also like to hear what the testers learned from their fittings about this!

AFAIK at this point, and as a gross over-generalization, in general for most players a hybrid will launch lower and with less spin, so you will get generally get more rollout vs a wood which will, in general, launch higher and spin more so less rollout. So which club depends on _what_ gap / shot types you're trying to fill.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Stage 1 is officially up! Hope you all enjoy it! Stay tuned for fitting results!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

New clubs are looking great fellas!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Stage 1 is officially up! Hope you all enjoy it! Stay tuned for fitting results!

So I think I have tears over that picture of you and your girls.

You guys are killing it. I can’t do pictures like any of you. Can’t wait for Aquaman’s stage 1. Did the G400 driver with him and he was easily the best.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So I think I have tears over that picture of you and your girls.

You guys are killing it. I can’t do pictures like any of you. Can’t wait for Aquaman’s stage 1. Did the G400 driver with him and he was easily the best.

It’s an older picture too but one of my favorites. Crazy to think they’ll be turning 4 this September!

I bought a 2 Crossover a few months ago - I ordered it at 40" 1 degree weak (18) with the Even Flow Blue shaft and it is amazing. I use it off the tee a lot and it's equally good off the deck but I never tried the G410 hybrid. Can any of you share your experiences in terms of comparison between the two in similar lofts?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah, I'd also like to hear what the testers learned from their fittings about this!

AFAIK at this point, and as a gross over-generalization, in general for most players a hybrid will launch lower and with less spin, so you will get generally get more rollout vs a wood which will, in general, launch higher and spin more so less rollout. So which club depends on _what_ gap / shot types you're trying to fill.

Not neccesarily.  "Ideally" the clubs should all reach a very similar Apex.   Hybrids are considered more of a scoring club than a FW. So on a distance you would hope to have a realistic chance of hitting the green a hybrid would more likely be the choice. 

FW are more distance clubs or for off the tee on shorter/tighter tee shots. 

Also hybrids should all things being equal be more accurate and controllable out of the rough.  

All that said it comes down to a distance you are trying to achieve.  Say for shorter hitter like me.  175 yards.  From that distance I'm probably  more concerned about making a solid strike and realize my chances of a GIR are pretty slim.   So go with tbrire forgiving uption....7 wood vs a probably 3 hybrid. 

But from 155 just reverse all that and I will probably be better off with a 5 hybrid than 9 wood....again In theory. 

13 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I bought a 2 Crossover a few months ago - I ordered it at 40" 1 degree weak (18) with the Even Flow Blue shaft and it is amazing. I use it off the tee a lot and it's equally good off the deck but I never tried the G410 hybrid. Can any of you share your experiences in terms of comparison between the two in similar lofts?

While I don't have the Crossover and hybrid in the same loft I can tell you for sure a huge difference will be in the sound. Since you already have a Crossover you know that they sound...unique, haha! I'd tend to think the hybrid would be longer, but I think that would be largely dependent on the setup of the two clubs. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Not neccesarily.  "Ideally" the clubs should all reach a very similar Apex.   Hybrids are considered more of a scoring club than a FW. So on a distance you would hope to have a realistic chance of hitting the green a hybrid would more likely be the choice. 

Also hybrids should all things being equal be more accurate and controllable out of the rough.  

All that said it comes down to a distance you are trying to achieve.  Say for shorter hitter like me.  175 yards.  From that distance I'm probably  more concerned about making a solid strike and realize my chances of a GIR are pretty slim.   So go with tbrire forgiving uption....7 wood vs a probably 3 hybrid. 

But from 155 just reverse all that and I will probably be better off with a 5 hybrid than 9 wood....again In theory. 

So as much as I love this guy I’m going to disagree - I’m a lower handicap player - I not only want to hit the green from 175, I want a look at birdie - if I’m going to compete at recommended yardage for my age I’m going to have some shots from 175 to 210.

How often I succeed matters to guys like me and mid cappers too.

My first time on a course that will require those shots under stress will be Saturday. I will get pictures and stats!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

A lot of pros carry a 5 wood over a hybrid because it launches easier, has a steeper angle of descent and generally has a flatter lie angle 

6 hours ago, revkev said:

So as much as I love this guy I’m going to disagree - I’m a lower handicap player - I not only want to hit the green from 175, I want a look at birdie - if I’m going to compete at recommended yardage for my age I’m going to have some shots from 175 to 210.

How often I succeed matters to guys like me and mid cappers too.

My first time on a course that will require those shots under stress will be Saturday. I will get pictures and stats!

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

A lot of pros carry a 5 wood over a hybrid because it launches easier, has a steeper angle of descent and generally has a flatter lie angle 

You both make good points.  A point I was even thinking about as I posted my thoughts.   

As someone who is about as far from a tour player or even low single digit like you guys.  My game is different. 

I guess to exolain my experiences a bit better.   You could look at it as both my hybrids and FW move down a segment in my bag comparwd to longer players.   Meaning my 150 club in my current set up is probably the 6 hybrid.  Where for guys like you its probably an 8 or 9 iron.  

Same for deal for FW.  I guess what I was trying to convey and maybe I made it too broad of statement.   With a hybrid, I totally expect to hit the green. 

With my lowest FW (9) I HOPE to hit the green but if I get pin high in a reasonable chip distance.  I can live with that.  

They do tend however to fly a bit higher as well the more I look back on it.  

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You both make good points.  A point I was even thinking about as I posted my thoughts.   

As someone who is about as far from a tour player or even low single digit like you guys.  My game is different. 

I guess to exolain my experiences a bit better.   You could look at it as both my hybrids and FW move down a segment in my bag comparwd to longer players.   Meaning my 150 club in my current set up is probably the 6 hybrid.  Where for guys like you its probably an 8 or 9 iron.  

Same for deal for FW.  I guess what I was trying to convey and maybe I made it too broad of statement.   With a hybrid, I totally expect to hit the green. 

With my lowest FW (9) I HOPE to hit the green but if I get pin high in a reasonable chip distance.  I can live with that.  

They do tend however to fly a bit higher as well the more I look back on it.  

Crossfield just did a great video on the 5 wood vs the hybrid and he said he carries hybrids for the same reason you do - he feels he can be more precise with them.

I love the start, fellas!

This might be one of my all-time favorite tests. Maybe it's because this part of my bag had such glaring gaps for so many years - mostly resolved now, but I feel like I could certainly benefit from the information you guy will provide and the process you are going though.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

16 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yes, those are carry, I'm a short hitter 🙂

We are all short hitters compared to someone else....

That's one heck of a fitting you got on your full bag though. Gotta be excited knowing that you're dialed in and confident at each distance. We'll be anticipating a HDCP drop in the coming months!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

13 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

We are all short hitters compared to someone else....

That's one heck of a fitting you got on your full bag though. Gotta be excited knowing that you're dialed in and confident at each distance. We'll be anticipating a HDCP drop in the coming months!

Thanks, I've already seen a drop for 21 at the beginning of the season to 16.7 currently.   Now some of that has been due to a couple times I month play in a league that plays 5800 yards vs the other times a league plays at 6100-6200.   

But no doubt the addition of the 7 and 9 FW have been a huge help. 

On 6/25/2019 at 8:23 AM, mr.hicksta said:

Ping Long Game/Gap Testing - Stage 1

Hey MGS! I’m Josh, aka mr.hicksta, and like many others around here, I’m a golf junkie! I’m an active duty Navy officer and I have been playing golf for the 19+ years I’ve been serving.

BE05yvyl.jpg

cb8KHEkl.jpg

I'm extremely grateful to MGS and Ping for the opportunity to test some fantastic clubs and I'm excited to share the experience with the forum! Since fall of 2015 I have been able to practice and play consistently and my overall game is the best it has ever been as a result. Now it is certainly not perfect, but I feel like it is pretty well rounded given the amount of time I put into improving. On the course, I like to keep things light and try not to take this game so seriously despite my sometimes gruff exterior. I get hard on myself from time to time, but I aim to be a person that others would like to play with regularly and I feel like I’ve done a good job of that. As for this crazy game, I love it because it mirrors life in a lot of ways. I like to say you could play the same course for 10 days straight and it would be different every time!    

With my current setup I’ve tinkered with the driver and putter, but nothing else has changed. The FW spot is easily the most fluid spot in my bag and has been a source of frustration for years. My hybrid has been one of my most consistent clubs and my 4i is spotty. To give readers a better idea of my gapping at the top of my bag, check out the spreadsheet below that is from my ‘Golf Equipment’ tracker (#golfnerdalert). FYI, the G410 3H is not listed because it is currently on the sideline!   

Club

Loft

Length

Lie

Offset

Weight

SW

Torque

Shaft

Notes

Distances

Cobra F9 Speedback

45"

57.5º

70g

D0

ACCRA TZ5 65 M4

Tipped 1/2”

250-290

Ping G410 3W

14.5º

43"

56.5º

76g

D2

MCA Tensei CK Blue 70 S

230-250

Ping G410 2H

18.5º

40.75"

57º

79g

D2

MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S

210-230

Ping G410 4 Crossover

23º

39.25"

59.9º

79g

D2

MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S

200-220

Epon AF-505 5i

25º

38"

61º

124g

D3

N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour130 S

L/L checked 06NOV

190-200

My current handicap is 11.5, trending to 11.3. I truly believe if my long game was more consistent I would easily be in the single digits, and I mention this because long term I’m hoping these clubs help me do just that! I’m not a high speed player, but I have an aggressive tempo (meathead issues). This video is my driver swing face on, which should give you an idea of how I move the ball around the course. With that beautiful swing, my typical ball flight is mid to high and my miss lately has been a nasty snap hook. I’d say my current strengths are above average distance off the tee, decent iron player and good putting. My weaknesses are inconsistency off the tee, and the constant struggle to avoid letting old swing habits creep in. As for my typical use of my long game clubs, I regularly use my FW and hybrid off the tee especially if it’s a tight fairway. For longer approaches, I gravitate to my hybrid even if it means I’ll be coming up short as it’s a club I’m very comfortable with.

Based on overall looks and the performance I’ve seen so far, I am a fan of the G410 lineup! Below are the blurbs directly from Ping on what each club brings to the table. Buzzwords and tech jargon aside, I can confirm that these faces are HOT, I’m finding all of them to be quite forgiving and I’m seeing distances I was not seeing with my old clubs.  

G410 FW: “Powered by a forged, maraging steel face, the G410 fairway woods are engineered to launch the ball easily and deliver faster ball speeds on a penetrating trajectory that maximizes distance. A shallower face and efficient CG placement elevate MOI for tighter dispersion.”

My take - This FW is a forgiving distance machine!

G410 Hybrid: “Our first-ever adjustable hybrid allows you to customize your ball flight eight different ways through more loft (+- 1.5˚) and lie combinations for consistently better results. Thinner and more flexible, the maraging-steel face generates faster ball speeds and higher launch so you carry trouble while hitting (and holding) more greens. A larger profile provides added stability and helps elevate MOI heel to toe.”

My take - Added adjustability in an already pleasing shape makes this one of the most versatile hybrids available. 

G410 Crossover: “With a heavier tungsten toe weight for added forgiveness, a maraging-steel face for faster ball speed and max shot height, and a more compact and stable head, PING’s third Crossover family combines the precision and control of an iron with the speed and forgiveness of a hybrid.”

My take - This club is forgiving, unlike most long irons! Oh and did I mention the face is hot? More on that later!

And finally, here are some pics of these beautiful clubs courtesy of my talented wife!

O09Rfo0l.jpg

UTCOf40l.jpg

VyWeSitl.jpg

0kQelKDl.jpg

0EfSaa5l.jpg

LDtSBdAl.jpg

GgSYlEYl.jpg

FVa1l20l.jpg

Le5XRRCl.jpg

kBnZkYfl.jpg

1TQQBoUl.jpg

Cw7d4m6l.jpg

Mw8SBy6l.jpg

NqdF0Cal.jpg

So what’s next? Between now and Stage 2, I plan on getting more time with my new long game setup, focusing on how they help my long game. I will also be posting about the fitting experience to include what all was discussed, how we determined this setup was right for me and more! Additionally, I’ll be getting some Trackman time and will post those results to give readers more detail on how the G410 FW/hybrid/Crossover line performs. Finally, and most importantly, I will be working to determine whether or not the G410 clubs will be in my bag long term. They’re in there without competition right now, but we’ll see what the numbers and on course performance have to say about that!

I don't know if the pics of your family didn't load the first time I read yours or I just skipped them to see the clubs,  but you have a beautiful family. And thank you for your service!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 6/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, PAgolfer2017 said:

Ping Long Game Gapping Testing - Stage 1

First off I wanted to give a huge thank you  to both MyGolfSpy and Ping for this opportunity! 

For those that don’t know me, my name is Josh and I live near Harrisburg, PA with my wife, twin girls, and black lab. I’m a special education teacher in a nearby district, and am currently looking at possible opportunities to move into an assistant principal role. I was born in Seoul, South Korea, but grew up just outside of Pittsburgh. Along with golf I’m big into Pittsburgh sports, photography and music. 

If you have any questions that pop up as you read, feel free to throw them my way!

Profile.jpg.9601a212a121b63d6790921bb4767061.jpg

As far as golf goes, it’s not something I picked up until after college. I have a cousin who is big into golf, but other than that, nobody in my family was ever a golfer. I’d been to the driving range growing up and was a self proclaimed putt-putt king, but golf was not something I ever took seriously. Once I graduated college and got married, I woke up one day and told my wife I wanted a set of golf clubs. Bought a set of Adams RPM2 irons, found some hand me down woods and putter and I was hooked. This year marks my 7th year golfing (don't ask how many clubs I’ve owned during those 7 years…) and I kick myself often for not starting earlier! My favorite person to golf with has to be my father-in-law. We’ve gotten to golf some great spots, and it’s just an absolute blast. 

I play most of my rounds in the Harrisburg, York, Hershey area. I’m a member at a local course that is a 5 minute drive from my house, but also like to explore some of the other courses in the area. I’m not far from the Maryland border, and like to take the occasional day trip down there to golf with my cousin or fellow Spies!

There are many reasons why I love the game of golf. I love the unique challenge that it presents, and I love how you can play the same golf course 100 times and each of those rounds are never the same.

My current bag makeup prior to fitting.

594741853_Untitledpresentation(1).jpg.44548a65fc7477f6ab6d455018b664b1.jpg

No real rhyme or reason to how I chose my setup. When it comes to my fairways, I carry a 3-wood and Heavenwood. Truth be told, the 3-wood never really comes out of the bag, and I have a lot more confidence with my Heavenwood, using it for anything between the 175-210 range.

Current handicap is a 15.3. I tend to hover in the high 80’s to low 90’s, and much of that is dependent on my driver. I fight an over-the-top when I swing, which really makes the driver and fairways a challenge some rounds. My ball flight is one I’d describe as more mid, and my typical miss with woods is to the right (I’m right handed), and my miss with irons/wedges is left. I’ve worked a lot on building a consistent swing this year (feel free to check out the link to my swing thread here) but I still have a way to go. My tempo is definitely on the slower side, though that’s something I’ve focused on improving over the past few months. 

If I had to pick a strength to my game I’d say it would be my putting. I’m not a fantastic putter by any stretch of the imagination, but generally can avoid 3-putts during a round. My biggest weakness would have to be the top end of my bag. My driver is often hit or miss, and I’ve never been confident with the top half of my bag. Once I get to about my 6-iron I can manage, but never had high confidence  in my woods/low irons. Up until this point I’d only carried fairway woods. In the past I’ve tinkered with hybrids but they’ve never stuck. Prior to my fitting I carried a 3-wood, Heavenwood and then 4-AW in irons. 

In terms of looks, I absolutely love the g410 line. I’ve come to love the look of the turbulators, and both fairways and hybrids set up well to the ball. Hybrids definitely have more of a closed look than I’m used to, but still provide confidence at address.

Topline.jpg.ff9aec650fe2898497ee72dae72ebb02.jpg

Sole.jpg.eb97ed1b0061ae4f100cf43f04b91b1e.jpg

With the new G410 line, their fairways have a CG that is a little more forward compared to the g400 line, with the goal of increasing stability and provide maximum forgiveness. A new forged face provides more flexing to increase ball speed and the new hosel provides 8 settings offering loft adjustments +/- 1.5*, and lie adjustment up to 3* flatter than standard. Hybrids have the same hosel, and a slightly larger head/shape. Ping also says the deeper tungsten weight helps to maximize forgiveness in the larger head.

Adapter.jpg.570ddf5ad2beb4aa24ffa55183b7f8f6.jpg

I’ve always been a fan of Ping. I’ve played a number of their drivers (i15, Anser, G30, G400, G410), but outside of the Anser line, have never played a Ping fairway or hybrid, but very excited to spend some time with the g410 line.

Stay tuned for fitting results! As someone who lacks confidence with drivers, fairways, and long irons, I was really excited for this opportunity. The one thing that really intrigued me was whether or not I was playing the right setup (fairways vs hybrids, long irons vs hybrids). I’ve always liked to tinker, but a chance to find out what would work best for me had me really excited!

My goal is to get these on the Skytrak for a bit, and I also have a set of Arccos sensors coming my way to help track my on course game. There are a few holes at my course that give me problems, and these clubs could very well help on certain holes!

What determines whether these earn a spot in my bag is quite simple. I’m not looking for extra yardage. I’m looking for something that will give me the confidence from 175 and out.

Nice write up. Love the candid pic with your girls! 

Your position on your swing after using the K vest is a great improvement. You can do some damage from there. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I don't know if the pics of your family didn't load the first time I read yours or I just skipped them to see the clubs,  but you have a beautiful family. And thank you for your service!

I decided to add them after the fact! And thanks!

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Nice write up. Love the candid pic with your girls! 

Your position on your swing after using the K vest is a great improvement. You can do some damage from there. 

Thanks! Crazy how fast they're growing up. 

And the swing is getting there. Past 3 weeks have been a bit rough in terms of getting practice in, but spending some time today working on tempo and top position. It's amazing how much further I hit the ball when my tempo and everything is where it should be. I get in trouble still when I overthink, which then turns into a really slow takeaway and a severe over the top.

10 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Thanks! Crazy how fast they're growing up. 

And the swing is getting there. Past 3 weeks have been a bit rough in terms of getting practice in, but spending some time today working on tempo and top position. It's amazing how much further I hit the ball when my tempo and everything is where it should be. I get in trouble still when I overthink, which then turns into a really slow takeaway and a severe over the top.

What?!! We are golfers we never over think. 🤣😂.

Now that you know what position to get into and the tempo needed you can work on it even without hitting balls. I am always laughed because I will make "Air Swings" everywhere. 

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What?!! We are golfers we never over think. 🤣😂.

Now that you know what position to get into and the tempo needed you can work on it even without hitting balls. I am always laughed because I will make "Air Swings" everywhere. 

I had a random iTunes gift card laying around, and ended up researching different things to help with tempo. I've been debating on whether or not to get a GPS, and something like the G80 was on my mind, but I came across an app called Tour Tempo by Total Game. Really focuses on the 3:1 ration and does so with a series of beeps. 

My two issues are over-rotating, with my left knee collapsing, and also having a really slow tempo. So my goal now is to get my top position engrained in my head, then use the app to work on the tempo of it. 

These is a great start guys!  This is going to be a great test!  Just curious in the fitting, how much feedback were you allowed to give during the fitting?  I know most of my fittings, they want to hear what you think.  Did you guys have to go with the extreme of "I can't say anything.  All I can do is hit whatever club you give me." Or were you able to have a little back and forth with them on things like the shaft weighting, feel, etc.?

Also, when you went through the fittings, were there any clubs they suggested that just took you back, or did you end up with what you were expecting to end up with?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

These is a great start guys!  This is going to be a great test!  Just curious in the fitting, how much feedback were you allowed to give during the fitting?  I know most of my fittings, they want to hear what you think.  Did you guys have to go with the extreme of "I can't say anything.  All I can do is hit whatever club you give me." Or were you able to have a little back and forth with them on things like the shaft weighting, feel, etc.?
Also, when you went through the fittings, were there any clubs they suggested that just took you back, or did you end up with what you were expecting to end up with?

I was able to give feedback, but I do believe that's how a good fitting should go. I did not persuade him in his final choice, but feedback is an important part, at least in my case.

I was honestly not expecting to end up with two crossovers, but that's how the cookie crumbled. Never thought I'd have a complete bag with no hybrids.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My fitting was definitely a back and forth, which really helped narrow down the options. As for my setup, it was about in line with what I thought I’d get!

While I don't have the Crossover and hybrid in the same loft I can tell you for sure a huge difference will be in the sound. Since you already have a Crossover you know that they sound...unique, haha! I'd tend to think the hybrid would be longer, but I think that would be largely dependent on the setup of the two clubs. 

No doubt on the sound - I will tell you that they put something in mine (rat glue I assume) to get the swing weight to my desired number and it sounds much better to my ear. Off the tee this club is so long and effortlessly so. It's really great off thr deck too but it's special off the tee - I use it so much. The thing that I really like is the confidence it gives me - I feel like I can't miss. I have always liked long irons and hybrids have been a bit hit or miss for me so that is a contributing factor as well. Thanks for the response and thanks so much for your service! My dad was in the Navy and it has a special place in my heart. You have a lovely family too!

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

My experience was similar to the other respondents. I’ve had lots of fittings this was similar although there was way more switching of clubs, shots. My fitter was smart, he knew that I was a good enough player that I could adjust my swing to the club he gave me given enough swings.

I never even tried a cross over - should have for kicks - I am surprised at having three fairway woods and no hybrids (I could put the 26 in but prefer not to.). I’m going to have to learn how to bump and run one of them if they stay in the bag but I used to play that shot so I know that it works.

Ironically the only club he didn’t want me looking at was driver - that was my just hit it moment. That one is way outside the box.

9 wood seems bizarre at first but it’s loft is 20.5, the same as my old Eye 2 5 wood. So it’s really not that crazy when you think about it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

12 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'll go into it more when I post about my fitting but I was able to give a lot of feedback too, though I had very minimal feedback to give based on what he kept putting in my hand to test/swing. But there was a lot of good dialogue and discussion about not only numbers, but looks and feel as well.