TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-PING Long Game Gapping Testing/Review

Great stuff. Looking forward to the rest of your feedback. Curious as to how Rob does as a launch monitor. Does he just shout out your numbers?

Ha I swear I have some form of dyslexia. I mix up letters all the time. Guess I need to go and fix that.

Though that would be kinda funny haha. I’ll let you know how he does nest time we play!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Great job - totally agree with you that much of how good a fitting is has to do with the person being fit’s approach to the fitter.

You and I have similar numbers and yet were fit into a radically different set up so it shows how swing speed is only one factor among several for determining shaft type, weight and stiffness.

Great stuff!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMG_1125.JPG

Hey Rob, I’m a grandfather and 7 wood is working for me quite well. I had a flag at 178 to work with today - couldn’t reach it with iron, 9 wood was hitting short and rolling past a bit or staying short, 7 wood was flying past and rolling out over 190 even a couple over 200 (I have a 200 yard layup from the rough according to shot scope). All of my five Woods were between 205 and 215.

Driver was north of 225 to 235.

Sounds like great gapping to me. Looked pretty nice too. I have a functional swing thought right now too. And of course I won’t be touching a golf club again before the 14th. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMG_1125.thumb.JPG.d5314d9c989f5a6e0bf749454d513751.JPG

Hey Rob, I’m a grandfather and 7 wood is working for me quite well. I had a flag at 178 to work with today - couldn’t reach it with iron, 9 wood was hitting short and rolling past a bit or staying short, 7 wood was flying past and rolling out over 190 even a couple over 200 (I have a 200 yard layup from the rough according to shot scope). All of my five Woods were between 205 and 215.

Sounds like great gapping to me. Looked pretty nice too. I have a functional swing thought right now too. And of course I won’t be touching a golf club again before the 14th. :(

Dang it, the more I see that SC200, the more I’m tempted to track one down!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I'm late to this party but great start fellas! I love this test and will be following along closely. Like many I have spent countless hours tinkering with this part of my bag, generally with mixed results. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Great job - totally agree with you that much of how good a fitting is has to do with the person being fit’s approach to the fitter.

You and I have similar numbers and yet were fit into a radically different set up so it shows how swing speed is only one factor among several for determining shaft type, weight and stiffness.

Great stuff!

I enjoy seeing other people’s setups as well. I think it’s also huge for people to understand that stiffness/weight isn’t always based solely on swing speed. Fittings are so much more complex and intricate then just looking at one data point.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Great stuff. Looking forward to the rest of your feedback. Curious as to how Rob does as a launch monitor. Does he just shout out your numbers? 😉

Lol.  I had to look at that twice as well.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Ha I swear I have some form of dyslexia. I mix up letters all the time. Guess I need to go and fix that.

Though that would be kinda funny haha. I’ll let you know how he does nest time we play!

3 Fiddy!! 

41 minutes ago, revkev said:

IMG_1125.JPG

Sounds like great gapping to me. Looked pretty nice too. I have a functional swing thought right now too. And of course I won’t be touching a golf club again before the 14th. 😞

Lol Kevin. I thought about that as i wrote it.  Im old enough to be a Grandfather but im not 

Maybe its just FW are becoming cool again! 

3 Fiddy!! 

That’s driver gap wedge for me!! Haha

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.7a5ba3d3d90d66584cfbe6b95027427e.JPG

Warning gratuitous grandchild picture!!! :)

Just for Hicksta I picked a petty officer’s kid. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Fitting review is posted! 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1bfc79415130762e

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

10 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Honestly I was one who got turned off by the SFT designation, but hard to argue with the results! Really tempted to see what the driver head would do...haha

To this day, the G30 SFT driver is the most consistent driver I've ever hit. So of course it's not in my bag 😳

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

To this day, the G30 SFT driver is the most consistent driver I've ever hit. So of course it's not in my bag 

Haha. I’m the exact same way. It’s the chase for the new and shiny...but with how easy the SFT Fairway is I can’t imagine what the driver would do for me...

To this day, the G30 SFT driver is the most consistent driver I've ever hit. So of course it's not in my bag 

That captures the essence of MGS v player ego in a nutshell.

If I had a nickel for every time I pulled a club that I hit well for one that everyone else liked - I’d have lots of nickels.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That captures the essence of MGS v player ego in a nutshell.

If I had a nickel for every time I pulled a club that I hit well for one that everyone else liked - I’d have lots of nickels.

And you could use all those nickels to buy another new and shiny club!!

And you could use all those nickels to buy another new and shiny club!!

Okay I shall...

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

So I've only got 2.5 rounds in the books with Arccos on my clubs.  But one thing is pretty evident from looking at the club diagnostics, my distance gapping and consistency from Driver through 6 Hybrid is pretty solid and consistent, with the exception of the 5 hybrid which was thrown off by two failed attempts with it to get out of a FW bunker. 

They are much more consistent than my irons.  After I have another round or two in the books, I'll post the screen shot of the results. 

On 6/25/2019 at 11:26 AM, TSauer said:

Ping Long Game/Gap Testing - Fitting

I want to preface this by saying that my fitting experience was different, not the typical one you've been reading about with the other members. Mainly because I'm a southpaw. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d1beed24234786845d4b858&rid=giphy.gif

This was a process I was excited for for quite some time, like I mentioned, I've never had an actual fitting but have always been intrigued by the process of it. I know this is a very important aspect when it comes to golf, because you want something that is tailored to your body and your swing. I knew this was going to be a great treat and was excited to get the ball rolling. My fitting took place at New Bloomfield Country Club, which is about 90 minutes from my home, and this was actually the first time I've ever been to the course. It blew me away. Population of about 600, and the course was immaculate. Never would have imagined it. Anyway, enough drooling, back to the topic on hand. One of the main reasons I have never gotten fit for clubs is because I didn't think I would end up taking the game as serious as I do now. I looked at it as more of a hobby I'd do when I was bored, never thought I'd be seeking to find out every detail about my swing from setup to finish. I knew the theory of how the fitting worked. There would be several clubs. Numbers galore. Questions. Answers. The whole nine yards. However, mine turned out to be a little different. 

After finally getting in touch with my fitter (he thought it was a spam number calling him for the first few weeks) we scheduled to meet up at his club. I brought my bag, as well as my nerves, and had an irrational fear that I'd shank every shot and walk away with disappointment. Fortunately that wasn't the case. When I showed up I met Chris in the clubhouse and admired how nice of a shop he has for such a small, small town. He already had a cart sitting outside, ready to roll. So, as anxious as I was I threw my clubs on and we headed for the range, where he had a bag of Ping clubs waiting. Here comes the bad part... when he got to looking at my bag, he realized I was a lefty and all the clubs he had were right handed. He did not think to ask about me being left handed when we were sitting up the fitting, and I didn't think to tell him, I had just assumed he would have all the weapons I would need. So most of my fitting is based off of Chris's knowledge of golf, as well as how much he knows about Ping products... which is A LOT. 

I started off hitting a few wedge shots, just to get loose, while he got some information from me regarding rounds played, handicap, etc. After a handful of wedge shots, I started moving up the bag. Hit some 7 iron shots, then finally made it to the important part... the long clubs. He had me hit driver first, to try and get an idea of how far I was hitting it and how fast everything was going. Unfortunately, he I wasn't able to get any pictures of the data, as he was using a launch monitor I have never seen before... I believe Ernest was the brand? Other than seeing the data directly after the shot, there was no way to go back in and bring it up, at least that he and I were aware of. My driver impressed me, however. The launch monitor was saying 250ish yards with a 105 mph swing speed. He made the comment that judging from how the ball was flying and the shot shape, that it had to be more like 270 yards or somewhere near there. Which had me ecstatic. He knew the CB shaft and I were good friends, which I why I think it ended up on every club I was fit into. 

When I move onto my fairway wood, it was not a pretty story. Mind you, I said I got the 3w just to replace an older one I already had in my bag. My shots were low, not far, and had a small hook to them. Overall, not a shot I want to hit. He stated the shaft in the Rogue 3W (Project X Even Flow) was very close to being an X-stiff, and could be the culprit for my poor shots. I even shanked a few right into the monitor, because in order for it to work it had to be sitting almost in front of the ball.. sorta to the side. I've never seen one like that before. Anyway, from that he gathered I needed something that would launch the ball and give me more of a higher arching shot shape, which is why he hooked me up with a 15.5* 3W. He then did the standard static Ping fitting that you would find on their site. Wrist to floor, hand size, and height. He also had me take a normal stance with the right handed crossover, and he instantly knew I needed a +1" extension on the 3W... being 6'6" sometimes does that to ya. One thing I also never thought about was grip size. I have always gone with midsize just because I know my hands aren't small. I figured that was the go-to and have been that way ever since I started golfing. However, he determined that I actually need an oversize grip, so he stuck me with the Ping Orange coded grips which are oversize. I have to agree, they feel much much better in the hands than a midsize does! I will be replacing all of my other grips with the same ones whenever the time comes. 

We talked about my hybrid game and how well I got along with them. The answer is not very well. My hybrid is a scary club, full of hooks. That was a discussion we had for quite a while. He explained all of the new technology Ping has put into their new G410 line, especially their crossovers. He did not want me getting a club that I felt I was going to hit poorly, which is why he hooked me up with a 3 and 4 crossover. I can see why Ping hooked me up with Chris, he knows everything there is to know about the process of getting properly fit. He did state that although he is a Ping rep, he games Titleist. He has noticed that 75% of the people at his club have been buying Ping over everything else though. So kudos to Ping for making such a great product! 

After we finished hitting balls, we went back to the clubhouse so he could make a copy of the fitting sheet and explain to me a little more as to why he chose the clubs he did for me. He knew it was an important session and he thinks he chose the correct clubs to help me play better golf and score low! Before I was able to leave he did give me a few presents, I guess you could say. First, he let me pick any Ping hat in his store and told me it was on him, which is an awesome gesture! Secondly, he said I could come back to his course with a friend and play a free round! I'm telling you, Chris is an awesome guy! I really wish there were lefty clubs available, but sometimes you just gotta work with what you got. The entire experience was very interesting, and I walked away with great knowledge about my own swing, which is a win in my book! 

scan0001.thumb.jpg.5715b9587bfd38331a5cbe35c521d00d.jpg

scan0002.thumb.jpg.98ba76711ca05cba95f65e92846a222f.jpg

scan0004.thumb.jpg.9ee37c14a6dc8bb26780e190d16cb6bf.jpg

scan0003.thumb.jpg.dd2a2ff78eba54cf26d306473e3f8496.jpg

Though my fitting was not traditional, I hope I was able to provide some information to all of you. All that's left to do now is to hit some balls, make some birdies, and of course tell you all about it! 

Really good stuff there Tyler.   Other than than the no lefty PING, it sounds like Chris had everything covered top to bottom, and what a way cool gesture on the hat and offer of a round.  You'll definitely have to take him up on that once you get the chance and let us know how they perform on that immaculate course 😎

Good Idea Mr. Hicksta had, I'll follow suit.

SFT 3W 16*  This has been a very reliable fairway club for me.  Arccos  says, I'm getting 176 out of it.  Perhaps 10 yards less than I was during the fitting, but the fitting also had some balls off the tee and was Trackman, so not exactly apples to apples.   I'm not hitting it quite as high as I would like.  It's more of a mid flight, but that's probably more of a swing and swing speed issue.   I mostly use it off the deck when I've got a 180 to 200 yard approach and there isn't any big trouble around the green.   Even if I don't reach it, it should leave me a very short pitch shot.

SFT 7W 22*  This and the 9W are quickly becoming my two favorite clubs.  Arccos says  Average 172 yards,  longest 181 and almost everyone has been a high flight with nice decent angle that is able to hold greens.  I have one particular par 3 surrounded by water at my course that can play anywhere from 165 to 188, and this one has hit some very nice shots into it. 

9W 23.5* See above for favorite category.  Arccos average 157 yards, longest 159.   Again it plays a lot like the 7W just a bit higher and shorter flight.  

5H 26*  This is the only one that I haven't had great success with yet.  Arccos average 128 yards, but  that includes one 28 yarder, longest is 169.  Granted I may have only hit it less than 3 or 4 times.  And as mentioned earlier somewhere two of the shots were ill advised out of a FW bunker that the lip was probably two high.  So the that number is definitely skewed. 

6H 30*  I guess this SHOULD be my favorite club as it is the club I got my Hole-In-One with.   I'm not too proud to say it was a hybrid from 145 yards.   Arccos average 149 yards, longest 153. 

So if you recap all those you can see with a few odd exceptions here and there, the gaps are working great.  The numbers won't scare anyone with their distance, but at this point and time, I've come to terms with my life as a short hitter and now am trying to take advantage of a pretty hot putter and better than average wedge game.  

Lastly these clubs have definitely had an impact on my scoring.   Attached is a screen capture from my latest MSGA handicap and shows the trend over the last 3 months when I got them in late April.    My ultimate goal at the beginning of the season was to get to a 12 index by getting fit, sticking to one set of clubs, and taking a lesson or two from our pro.   I've ALMOST all of those so far and the results have been good, but as we all know it'll be harder to get from 15.7 to 12 then it was to get from 19 to 15.  

image.png

Good Idea Mr. Hicksta had, I'll follow suit.
SFT 3W 16*  This has been a very reliable fairway club for me.  Arccos  says, I'm getting 176 out of it.  Perhaps 10 yards less than I was during the fitting, but the fitting also had some balls off the tee and was Trackman, so not exactly apples to apples.   I'm not hitting it quite as high as I would like.  It's more of a mid flight, but that's probably more of a swing and swing speed issue.   I mostly use it off the deck when I've got a 180 to 200 yard approach and there isn't any big trouble around the green.   Even if I don't reach it, it should leave me a very short pitch shot.
SFT 7W 22*  This and the 9W are quickly becoming my two favorite clubs.  Arccos says  Average 172 yards,  longest 181 and almost everyone has been a high flight with nice decent angle that is able to hold greens.  I have one particular par 3 surrounded by water at my course that can play anywhere from 165 to 188, and this one has hit some very nice shots into it. 
9W 23.5* See above for favorite category.  Arccos average 157 yards, longest 159.   Again it plays a lot like the 7W just a bit higher and shorter flight.  
5H 26*  This is the only one that I haven't had great success with yet.  Arccos average 128 yards, but  that includes one 28 yarder, longest is 169.  Granted I may have only hit it less than 3 or 4 times.  And as mentioned earlier somewhere two of the shots were ill advised out of a FW bunker that the lip was probably two high.  So the that number is definitely skewed. 
6H 30*  I guess this SHOULD be my favorite club as it is the club I got my Hole-In-One with.   I'm not too proud to say it was a hybrid from 145 yards.   Arccos average 149 yards, longest 153. 
So if you recap all those you can see with a few odd exceptions here and there, the gaps are working great.  The numbers won't scare anyone with their distance, but at this point and time, I've come to terms with my life as a short hitter and now am trying to take advantage of a pretty hot putter and better than average wedge game.  
Lastly these clubs have definitely had an impact on my scoring.   Attached is a screen capture from my latest MSGA handicap and shows the trend over the last 3 months when I got them in late April.    My ultimate goal at the beginning of the season was to get to a 12 index by getting fit, sticking to one set of clubs, and taking a lesson or two from our pro.   I've ALMOST all of those so far and the results have been good, but as we all know it'll be harder to get from 15.7 to 12 then it was to get from 19 to 15.  
image.png.124413ba6ead52da33adee9a9b0dac71.png

Good stuff Rob; pulling for you to get that handicap down. Just hope you don’t go through no new club withdrawals!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You guys REALLY got me wanting a 9 wood now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Good stuff Rob; pulling for you to get that handicap down. Just hope you don’t go through no new club withdrawals!

Oh it's a real thing, and it's a daily struggle....ha

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

You guys REALLY got me wanting a 9 wood now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the cool kids are doing it 😎

That's good stuff @Golfspy_CG2! Interesting about the 5H, though. Any idea why the comfort level isn't quite there with that club yet aside from not being used much? And overall, I'd say the results are speaking for themselves with your index trending down!

12 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

That's good stuff @Golfspy_CG2! Interesting about the 5H, though. Any idea why the comfort level isn't quite there with that club yet aside from not being used much? And overall, I'd say the results are speaking for themselves with your index trending down!

I think it's strictly a case of limited use and that limited use has been in a tough situation.  In tonight's league I can think of one par 3 right off the top of my head where I might use it and probably a couple times on par 5 layups or approaches.   Two of the 2.5 rounds I have played were on the same course, where that number just doesn't come into play much, and then the 9 holes yesterday on the other course, well we saw what happened the two times I used it there...ha

With all the different clubs we have in this, how comfortable are you guys coming out of thick rough?  Is there a specific long game club you find yourself using more than others because it cuts through better?

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

With all the different clubs we have in this, how comfortable are you guys coming out of thick rough?  Is there a specific long game club you find yourself using more than others because it cuts through better?

For me it would be either the the hybrid or Crossover depending on the depth of the rough. Lighter rough = hybrid, deeper rough = Crossover.