Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-PING Long Game Gapping Testing/Review

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

My first question for the lot of you testers, was there a club in your bag that hit the right gap and didn't warrant replacing and you ended up keeping? 

You got a new hybrid and 3 wood but your 26 year old 5w still works magic for you? 

Good question.  I'll go into detail when I post my fitting portion.-----so you've been warned.   

But my answer is No.  Everything from 5 hybrid to 3 iron is new.   I did not think there was a FW that could beat my 917 F2  but the G410 did!!   

Which one?  You'll have to come back to find out.  Ha

• Like 4

My first question for the lot of you testers, was there a club in your bag that hit the right gap and didn't warrant replacing and you ended up keeping? 
You got a new hybrid and 3 wood but your 26 year old 5w still works magic for you? 

Great question!!!

Lots more to write about this in the testing post but my hybrids are SLDRs and aren’t exactly fresh faces - my 3 wood? A newer model Tour exotics that I hit well - actually I was very good with it off the tee and marginally acceptable with it off the turf.

More loft was my fitters mantra, more loft, more spin gets you places. (In my case)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

I can’t wait to read about the fitting process and what everybody got fit into. This is going to be my next venture. I seem to have found a gap issue in my 195-210 range.

I have this issue too. I’m not a long hitter so that range prior to this was my 4 iron or heavenwood. I’ll touch on it more in my stage 1 or fitting review! Stay tuned!

• Like 3

I think for me, time will tell but the g410 line is in for the long haul. The one club that was replaced that may fall into that category is my heavenwood. That was always my old faithful club that I could pull in a number of situations/yardages.

• Like 4

Annnnd my Stage 1 is up! Keep the questions coming y'all!

• Like 6

Sort of. I could’ve made a good argument to keep my G400 3H, but I decided to make the switch to take advantage of the updates tech and adjustability.
  • Like 3

Im curious how the gapping process went. I currently am pretty well set up to 175 (5 iron) but cannot hit my 4 or 3 irons (like most ppl). But over 200 yds i am good with 5w & 3w. From my knowledge, hybrids are not adjustable and new clubs can be pretty strong loft compared to older clubs. Plus with new tech, they all promote going further. With my older clubs (?2012? TM rocketbladz irons), sounds like i would need a 5 or 6 hybrid to fit in place of a 3 and 4 iron haha.

Hopefully i explained this well and if anyone has some insight. thx

• Like 4

Im curious how the gapping process went. I currently am pretty well set up to 175 (5 iron) but cannot hit my 4 or 3 irons (like most ppl). But over 200 yds i am good with 5w & 3w. From my knowledge, hybrids are not adjustable and new clubs can be pretty strong loft compared to older clubs. Plus with new tech, they all promote going further. With my older clubs (?2012? TM rocketbladz irons), sounds like i would need a 5 or 6 hybrid to fit in place of a 3 and 4 iron haha.

New g410 line is adjustable in both fairways and hybrids. So you can adjust +/- up to 1.5*. Really let’s you dial in your distances

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Mr_Theoo said:

I’d actually like to read that. Would be interesting to see what ones regular playing partners notice when one gets new gear

What I notice is that his bag is like a revolving door at a gentleman's club offering two for one drinks...😁😅😂

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

It's been mentioned already, but the G410 hybrids are indeed adjustable, which is probably the biggest change they made to them. You would probably get away with a 4 and 5 hybrid and then adjust them to your desired loft. 

• Like 3

I know it's early but @mr.hicksta but how does that crossover compare to your previous long irons? Did it replace a 4 iron? If so was loft the same?

• Like 2

Has anyone dialed the 2 Hybrid down to 15.5°?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I know it's early but @mr.hicksta but how does that crossover compare to your previous long irons? Did it replace a 4 iron? If so was loft the same?

It's different than my Epon AF-505 4i in just about every way. It's a degree weaker (23 instead of 22), 3/4" longer and has a graphite shaft. And yes, as of now it has replaced my 4i, but so far I've only used it a few times and have not used it off the tee yet. Overall though it's definitely more forgiving than the typical long iron, and it's longer as well. My initial impression is that the Crossover will get limited use, but that may change as I get more comfortable with it.  

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Has anyone dialed the 2 Hybrid down to 15.5°?

I actually went the other way with mine, haha! When I get some Trackman time I'll dial it down and will post the numbers. 

• Like 6

So this is pretty cool - so far we have a Crossover and a 9 Wood in play. My struggles with the hybrid are well documented so color me very interested in how both of those clubs perform out on the course for our testers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Another great question - as my colleague, Hicksta, wrote, all of these G410 clubs are adjustable. 

The fitting was eye opening.  I'm just working on that part of the thread but we had top end fitters to work with.  My guy's concern was helping my trajectory.  I was amazed to learn that all of my clubs from my 48 to my 7 iron flew the same height, between 75 and 80 feet - exactly right for my swing speed.  I started loosing trajectory at 6 iron - that's actually why I have a large gap between 6 and 7 iron according to my eye ball and my shot scope stats (I also have very little gap between 6 iron and 5 hybrid and then a big one between 5 hybrid and 4 hybrid).  All of that comes from not enough trajectory, not enough spin and too much run out.  That only got worse with 4 hybrid and 3 wood and then to a lesser extent with driver.  I hit every club in my new set up 75 to 80 feet high and there are nice even gaps going all the way up to my longest club before driver (5 wood).  I also was fit for driver, which was not within the scope of this test - what he did there blew my mind but I'm clearly getting more yardage and better accuracy on the course.  I've written about that elsewhere on the website.

Keep the questions coming guys - I'm looking forward to seeing our other guy's stage ones.  I didn't realize that Hicksta was in the Navy.  Thank you for your service teammate.  My son was a submariner for 8 and 1/2 years.  A nuke.

I'm wondering what we will learn next?  Maybe that TSauer is aquaman! 🙂

How far off was your swing speed to keep from losing trajectory with your 6 iron?

Would wonder what makes a fitter pick hybrid vs similar lofted wood. Mark Crossfield just did a video about more pGA pros going for 7 woods vs the Europeans who used hybrids due to wanting different launch

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

What I notice is that his bag is like a revolving door at a gentleman's club offering two for one drinks...😁😅😂

MDGolfHacker

LMAO...You're killing me!  And I won't hazard to guess where more money has been spent 😎

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mr.hicksta said:

It's different than my Epon AF-505 4i in just about every way. It's a degree weaker (23 instead of 22), 3/4" longer and has a graphite shaft. And yes, as of now it has replaced my 4i, but so far I've only used it a few times and have not used it off the tee yet. Overall though it's definitely more forgiving than the typical long iron, and it's longer as well. My initial impression is that the Crossover will get limited use, but that may change as I get more comfortable with it.  

I actually went the other way with mine, haha! When I get some Trackman time I'll dial it down and will post the numbers. 

You a fool if you put that Epon back in after what I saw on Sunday!

27 minutes ago, Rchang said:

Would wonder what makes a fitter pick hybrid vs similar lofted wood. Mark Crossfield just did a video about more pGA pros going for 7 woods vs the Europeans who used hybrids due to wanting different launch

The difference, I think, is that tour pros don't have the same struggles we do and have the technical ability to game either of the three (hybrid, crossover, fw). For us, it's more likely to be whatever we're more comfortable with. Personally, I feel like I would get better, more-consistent contact with a 7-wood, but like Crossfield says, with woods there's always that feeling that it could go way off the planet.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mdizzle2

• By mr.hicksta
      Vessel 14-Way Player Stand Bag (Matte Black)
       G410 Plus 9º (45") | ACCRA TZ5 65 M4 (70g, tipped 1/2") 
       G410 3W 14.5º (43") | MCA Tensei CK Blue 70 S (76g)
      G410 2H 18.5º (40.75") | MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S (79g)
       G410 4 Crossover 23º (39.25") | MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S (79g)
      Epon AF-505 5-PW | Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour130 S (124g, Hard Stepped)
      RTX 4 50M, 54M, 58M | Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour130 X (129g, Soft Stepped)
      PXG Bat Attack Gen2 (34") | KBS CT Tour |  Grips TOUR Aware
       Pro V1x

Accessories: Bushnell Pro XE, Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 and Tour Velvet Plus4 grips,  Tour and Sport Gloves, Robert Mark and Dormie Workshop headcovers/putter cover, Club Glove pocket towel, Cayce Golf caddy towel and custom Epoch S3 tees.

• By Tom Dundas
      50-12, 54-12, AND 60-14
      Used 3 times.
      $300.00 for the 3.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Shankster and PING Blueprint Irons---A Match Made in Heaven? 
      Every so often we do a special review of a club on MGS.   Usually it's when the OEM provides us with one set or one driver etc for review, it's not practical to open it up to over 500 to 1,000 applications and pick just one person.
      So when the Blueprint review was generously offered by PING with the stipulation it went to a member who was a true low single digit handicap, we discussed as a group who would be an ideal member to reach out to test these beauties. Honestly at least half a dozen names came to mind, but some of them were already involved in a testing or had just completed one.  
      Then one name really jumped out at us,  Shankster.   Not just because he fit the handicap requirement, but if there is any one person on this site who is a more of a traditionalist and prefers the minimalist design in a club than Alan, we don't know who it is.  
      When we reached out to Shankster, it took him about 1 minute to say yes, and that's only because he was recovering from the shock of being asked and making sure he wasn't being punked!     We had to work through the timing of his move from Michigan to Maryland, but all that got sorted out.
      Not knowing exactly when today he'll get his post up, I'll leave you with a few of these.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      PRESS RELEASE
      PING introduces next generation
      of custom-fit women’s equipment

PHOENIX (July 1, 2019): Advancements in technology, lighter overall club weight, expanded fitting options and premium materials combine to make the new G Le2 family PING’s highest performing women’s clubs to date, the company announced today. The complete line of clubs is available for pre-order at authorized PING golf shops around the world beginning today.

“The G Le2 represents our continued commitment to providing women golfers of every skill level with premium, high-performance equipment optimized to their swing speeds,” said Stacey Pauwels, PING Executive Vice President and the granddaughter of PING founders Karsten and Louise Solheim, whose role includes overseeing the brand’s women’s initiatives.”

“To achieve one of our performance goals of improving the feel of the club throughout the entire swing, we focused on making the clubs lighter overall,” Pauwels added.  “We integrated our extensive knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes with our proven design technologies to deliver measurable improvements throughout the set. At the same time, we wanted to present the new clubs in a visually appealing and confidence-inspiring way. We’re extremely excited about the results and look forward to bringing the G Le2 family to women golfers around the world.”

Custom fit and custom built
      Along with ensuring measurable performance improvements throughout the G Le2 family, PING’s engineering team placed added importance on expanding the fitting options to help women find the ideal set to match their games.

“Having equipment that is custom fitted to their games allows women to see improvement from every club in their bag,” said Pauwels. “The G Le2 family really emphasizes that need through loft, lie and length adjustability along with the shaft weight, flex and grip offerings. Once we know those specifications, finding the best combination of fairway woods, hybrids, irons and wedges during a fitting is the next step in the process.”

“Because we custom build every club, we want women to know we’ll make them a set that best fits their game,” she said. “The key is determining the ideal set makeup that provides proper distance gaps between each club. That may be a full set or maybe a smaller set of a few metal woods, hybrids, irons, a wedge and a putter. Once we have all their fitting information, we can custom build the clubs to their precise specifications for maximum performance.”
      Lighter, faster, more forgiving driver

The next generation of golf’s highest-performing women’s driver maximizes forgiveness and distance through a higher MOI, faster face and lighter overall weight. Its titanium head features a rounder, more aerodynamic shape to promote faster clubhead speeds. A thin, forged T9S+ face is optimized for the intended swing speed to increase flexing for more ball velocity and improved launch conditions. Internal heel-biased weighting helps ensure straighter ball flights and softer turbulators help frame the ball at address. Trajectory Tuning 2.0 in the G Le2 driver utilizes a new lightweight, aerodynamic hosel sleeve that provides eight positions for influencing ball flight through loft (±1.5°) adjustments.

Faster faces, higher-launching, adjustable fairway woods

A thinner, faster maraging steel C300 face, a significantly higher MOI and an 8-lobe adjustable hosel distinguish the G Le2 fairway wood from its predecessor. The added ball speed from the face technology increases distance and combines with the shallower face to launch the ball higher with greater forgiveness. An overall lighter club weight makes swinging the club easier with more clubhead speed for longer and straighter results. Internal weighting promotes right-to-left shot correction to keep shots on target. Available in 3, 5, 7 and 9 woods.

Lighter, longer and straighter irons

Precise and forgiving with a lighter overall club weight, G Le2 irons utilize COR-Eye Technology with a deep top-rail undercut to increase face flexing for more ball speed and higher max height. A tungsten toe weight helps increase MOI by 10% for greater forgiveness and a co-molded cavity badge ensures a pleasing feel and sound. Available in 6-9 iron, PW, UW, SW.

Faster face, higher-launching hybrids with more fitting choices

A thinner, hotter Carpenter 455 face and lighter club weight generate faster ball speeds while a lower, deeper CG helps increase the MOI to launch the ball high with greater forgiveness. The addition of a 34⁰ 7 hybrid expands the fitting options for women who prefer the technology of a hybrid in place of an iron. Softer crown turbulators help capture the ball at address and aid in alignment. Available in 4, 5, 6 and 7 hybrids.

Adjustable putters with feel and forgiveness

Enhanced feel and forgiveness and a new adjustable-length shaft improve performance and fitting opportunities in the three new G Le2 putters (Anser, Shea and Echo). A dual-durometer face insert -- engineered with TR face technology -- provides a soft front layer for precision and improved impact feel and a firmer second layer for control to improve consistency on putts of every distance. The easy-to-use adjustable shaft allows self-fitting for length between 31" and 35". A new, softer PP59 midsize grip improves feel and comfort.

Lighter shafts, softer grips
      PING’s proprietary ULT240 Lite and Ultra Lite premium graphite shafts are standard throughout the G Le2 family and help bring down overall club weight while helping generate more clubhead speed and higher launch. The super-soft Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 grip is available in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64").

Specifications:
      G Le2 Driver
      Multi-material construction: Cast Ti 8-1-1 body, forged T9S+ face, lightweight aluminum/thermoplastic adjustable hosel
      Loft option: 11.5⁰ (adjustable +- 1.5⁰)
      Head weight: 190g
      Head volume: 460 cc
      Std. length: 44 ¾"
      Std. lie angle: 58.5⁰
      Std. Swingweight: C2
      Stock grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64")
      Shaft options: PING ULT240D (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $435
      G Le2 Fairway Woods
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel body, C300 maraging steel face, lightweight aluminum/thermoplastic adjustable hosel
      Lofts (adjustable up to +-1.5⁰ 3W (19⁰), 5W (22⁰), 7W (26⁰), 9W (30⁰)
      Std. lengths: 3W (42 ½"), 5W (42"), 7W (41 ½"), 9W (41")
      Std. Swingweight: C1
      Stock grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Garnet 360 in three sizes (Blue -1/16", Red -1/32", Aqua -1/64")
      Shaft options: PING ULT240F (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $270 per club
      G Le2 Irons
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel head, tungsten toe weight, aluminum/thermoplastic composite badge, HydroPearl 2.0 finish
      Available 6-9, PW, UW, SW, in 10 color codes (lie angle). Black color code is standard.
      Std. length/loft: 6i (37.13"/27⁰), 7i (36.5"/30.5⁰), 8i (36"/35⁰), 9i (35.5"/40⁰), PW (35"/45⁰), UW (35"/52⁰), SW (34.5"/58⁰),
      Std. Swingweight: 6i (C1), 7i (C2), 8i (C2), 9i (C2.5), PW (C4), UW (C5), SW (C6),
      Shaft options: PING ULT240i (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $137.50 per iron
      G Le2 Hybrids
      Multi-material construction: 17-4 stainless steel head, CarTech Custom 455 steel face
      Lofts: 4H (22⁰), 5H (26⁰), 6H (30⁰), 7H (34⁰)
      Std. lengths: 4H (39"), 5H (38 1/2"), 6H (38"), 7H (37 ½")
      Std. Swingweight: C0
      Shaft options: PING ULT240H (Lite and Ultra Lite flexes)
      U.S. MSRP: $200 per hybrid
      G Le2 Putters
      Anser
      Putter Type: Blade
      Materials: 17-4 stainless steel body, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Champagne nickel plating
      Adjustable-Length Shaft: 31" to 35" range (std: 33")
      Head Weight: 345g
      Stroke Type: Slight Arc
      U.S. MSRP: $215
      Shea
      Putter Type: Mid Mallet
      Materials: 17-4 stainless steel body, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Champagne nickel plating
      Head Weight: 350g
      Stroke Type: Strong Arc
      U.S. MSRP: $215
      Echo
      Putter Type: Mallet
      Materials: Machined 6061 aluminum body, stainless steel soleplate, dual-durometer PEBAX insert
      Finish: Magenta-color anodized body, champagne nickel soleplate
      Head Weight: 360g
      Stroke Type: Slight arc or Straight
      U.S. MSRP: $270

###

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!