Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-PING Long Game Gapping Testing/Review

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I don't know if the pics of your family didn't load the first time I read yours or I just skipped them to see the clubs,  but you have a beautiful family. And thank you for your service!

I decided to add them after the fact! And thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Nice write up. Love the candid pic with your girls! 

Your position on your swing after using the K vest is a great improvement. You can do some damage from there. 

Thanks! Crazy how fast they're growing up. 

And the swing is getting there. Past 3 weeks have been a bit rough in terms of getting practice in, but spending some time today working on tempo and top position. It's amazing how much further I hit the ball when my tempo and everything is where it should be. I get in trouble still when I overthink, which then turns into a really slow takeaway and a severe over the top.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Thanks! Crazy how fast they're growing up. 

And the swing is getting there. Past 3 weeks have been a bit rough in terms of getting practice in, but spending some time today working on tempo and top position. It's amazing how much further I hit the ball when my tempo and everything is where it should be. I get in trouble still when I overthink, which then turns into a really slow takeaway and a severe over the top.

What?!! We are golfers we never over think. 🤣😂.

Now that you know what position to get into and the tempo needed you can work on it even without hitting balls. I am always laughed because I will make "Air Swings" everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What?!! We are golfers we never over think. 🤣😂.

Now that you know what position to get into and the tempo needed you can work on it even without hitting balls. I am always laughed because I will make "Air Swings" everywhere. 

I had a random iTunes gift card laying around, and ended up researching different things to help with tempo. I've been debating on whether or not to get a GPS, and something like the G80 was on my mind, but I came across an app called Tour Tempo by Total Game. Really focuses on the 3:1 ration and does so with a series of beeps. 

My two issues are over-rotating, with my left knee collapsing, and also having a really slow tempo. So my goal now is to get my top position engrained in my head, then use the app to work on the tempo of it. 

• Like 2

These is a great start guys!  This is going to be a great test!  Just curious in the fitting, how much feedback were you allowed to give during the fitting?  I know most of my fittings, they want to hear what you think.  Did you guys have to go with the extreme of "I can't say anything.  All I can do is hit whatever club you give me." Or were you able to have a little back and forth with them on things like the shaft weighting, feel, etc.?

Also, when you went through the fittings, were there any clubs they suggested that just took you back, or did you end up with what you were expecting to end up with?

• Like 4

These is a great start guys!  This is going to be a great test!  Just curious in the fitting, how much feedback were you allowed to give during the fitting?  I know most of my fittings, they want to hear what you think.  Did you guys have to go with the extreme of "I can't say anything.  All I can do is hit whatever club you give me." Or were you able to have a little back and forth with them on things like the shaft weighting, feel, etc.?
Also, when you went through the fittings, were there any clubs they suggested that just took you back, or did you end up with what you were expecting to end up with?

I was able to give feedback, but I do believe that's how a good fitting should go. I did not persuade him in his final choice, but feedback is an important part, at least in my case.

I was honestly not expecting to end up with two crossovers, but that's how the cookie crumbled. Never thought I'd have a complete bag with no hybrids.
  • Like 5

My fitting was definitely a back and forth, which really helped narrow down the options. As for my setup, it was about in line with what I thought I’d get!
  • Like 4

While I don't have the Crossover and hybrid in the same loft I can tell you for sure a huge difference will be in the sound. Since you already have a Crossover you know that they sound...unique, haha! I'd tend to think the hybrid would be longer, but I think that would be largely dependent on the setup of the two clubs. 

No doubt on the sound - I will tell you that they put something in mine (rat glue I assume) to get the swing weight to my desired number and it sounds much better to my ear. Off the tee this club is so long and effortlessly so. It's really great off thr deck too but it's special off the tee - I use it so much. The thing that I really like is the confidence it gives me - I feel like I can't miss. I have always liked long irons and hybrids have been a bit hit or miss for me so that is a contributing factor as well. Thanks for the response and thanks so much for your service! My dad was in the Navy and it has a special place in my heart. You have a lovely family too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

My experience was similar to the other respondents. I’ve had lots of fittings this was similar although there was way more switching of clubs, shots. My fitter was smart, he knew that I was a good enough player that I could adjust my swing to the club he gave me given enough swings.

I never even tried a cross over - should have for kicks - I am surprised at having three fairway woods and no hybrids (I could put the 26 in but prefer not to.). I’m going to have to learn how to bump and run one of them if they stay in the bag but I used to play that shot so I know that it works.

Ironically the only club he didn’t want me looking at was driver - that was my just hit it moment. That one is way outside the box.

9 wood seems bizarre at first but it’s loft is 20.5, the same as my old Eye 2 5 wood. So it’s really not that crazy when you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'll go into it more when I post about my fitting but I was able to give a lot of feedback too, though I had very minimal feedback to give based on what he kept putting in my hand to test/swing. But there was a lot of good dialogue and discussion about not only numbers, but looks and feel as well.

• Like 3

@goaliewales14 to answer your question.  We didn't put any restrictions on what they did or didn't ask during the fitting.  I actually based on my fittimg encouraged everyone to ask as many questions as they wanted.  

The only "rule" was they had to order what the fitter recommended, and not go with what they think would work "better".   But my indication is no one had any issue at all with the recommendations.   

Even though my fitter was a bit worried how I might react to a 9w.  I told him, hey if you tell me a women's club is going to work for me in a particular gap, then bring it on.  

As you'll see in my fitting portion he was spot on with his recommendations 

• Like 9

No doubt on the sound - I will tell you that they put something in mine (rat glue I assume) to get the swing weight to my desired number and it sounds much better to my ear. Off the tee this club is so long and effortlessly so. It's really great off thr deck too but it's special off the tee - I use it so much. The thing that I really like is the confidence it gives me - I feel like I can't miss. I have always liked long irons and hybrids have been a bit hit or miss for me so that is a contributing factor as well. Thanks for the response and thanks so much for your service! My dad was in the Navy and it has a special place in my heart. You have a lovely family too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not a huge fan of hot melt, but I’m considering using some on my Crossover later on down the road. Admittedly it has been a mixed bag for me with the club so far, and I’m honestly still trying to figure it out. But the good shots I’ve hit have been impressive so I just need to put in more time with it. And thanks for the kind words!
  • Like 4

Just want to chime in with a spoiler and say the Crossovers are

So fun to hit!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TSauer said:

Just want to chime in with a spoiler and say the Crossovers are emoji91.pngemoji91.png

So fun to hit!

I'm going to have to go give these crossovers a try. My propensity to hook a hybrid every so often always makes me nervous. 

• Like 1

I'm going to have to go give these crossovers a try. My propensity to hook a hybrid every so often always makes me nervous. 

That was honestly my issue with hybrids, I've never been confident with them for some reason.
  • Like 1

You beat me to this response I agree and got my opinion from TXG video of the hybrid 5 wood comparison and it's the reason I switch to a 5 wood now over a hybrid

A lot of pros carry a 5 wood over a hybrid because it launches easier, has a steeper angle of descent and generally has a flatter lie angle 

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

9 wood seems bizarre at first but it’s loft is 20.5, the same as my old Eye 2 5 wood. So it’s really not that crazy when you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Personally, I wish we’d see more offerings in the higher lofted woods. As@tsauer has said and myself included, hybrids are not always the easiest to hit.

Now if you were to hand a golfer a 7 or 9 wood and have them take some swings, I’d bet the results would be a very positive outcome.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Personally, I wish we’d see more offerings in the higher lofted woods. As@tsauer has said and myself included, hybrids are not always the easiest to hit.

Now if you were to hand a golfer a 7 or 9 wood and have them take some swings, I’d bet the results would be a very positive outcome.

My latest addition to my bag is a G410 SFT 7w with a stock Alta (s) shaft. It is really amazing and fit right into an awful gap I had between 5i & 3w. For some reason, I had troubles with my 4i and confidence with it was always low. Knowing that I hit FW's pretty well and consistently, it blended right in with them and solved that gap issue and has had an immediate positive impact on my game.

I've read al the posted stage-1's so far and nice work everybody! Really dig this review and am looking forward to watching you all progress.

• Like 6