Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

jlukes' Fitting Journey

null

21 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thanks Rob!  I tried to stay away from diving too much into the data as it really would have been pointless.  Chose to focus on the process more so than the results!

Yep. Excellently done.  I enjoyed it.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Wow that is a great price for top level fitting...

It really was, but the best part about it is anybody could experience it.  A full bag fitting only costs $350!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I also think it's really cool the Patreon with TXG and how you kind of fit yourself into some of the clubs prior with Ian's help

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Great stuff @jlukes! Sounds lie a heck of a time! 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I hit those Oban CT shafts on a whim while doing a driver fitting at Impact Golf here in Houston. I was there focusing on fine tuning my driver but I nearly walked out of there with new irons shafts as well. I took about a dozen swings with the Oban CTs and I wouldn't let the fitter take the club away from me. So pure with the feel and so consistent with each swing. If I could just find a buyer for one of my 'gently used/pre-owned' kidneys, I'd have those shafts in my irons ASAP! @jlukes your fitting experience sounds incredible but those iron shafts are what I'm most envious about. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

3 hours ago, coreydwsmith said:

Enjoyed a full iron set (also w/ the Oban shafts) and driver fitting with Sean (now on the mobile unit) last year and has been a game changer. Excellent facility and great crew there! Now comes the rest of the bag.....

Awesome man. What did you end up in? 

• 2 months later...

After talking with True Spec over the last two days, they provided me with a prepaid shipping label to have my irons sent back to them and mizuno for review.  Much like what happened with my JPX 900 Tours, the 919 Tours have some sort of weird clear coat finish on the back cavity that appears to be peeling off and looks extremely unsightly.  I paid a good amount of money for these clubs and it has only been 3 months, so I didn't feel it was something I should have to deal with.

Hopefully we are able come to quick resolution once they see the clubs in person.

No golf for me for a few weeks 😞

Here are pictures of the issues - it looks a lot worse in person.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190920154646578_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190920154650481_COVER.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, jlukes said:

I did shorten to 44.75 from 45. 10g weight in the toe. Swing weight at 4.5 where I like to play my driver 

Why not just choke up .25 on your driver rather than shortening it so marginally? Just curious.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

14 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Why not just choke up .25 on your driver rather than shortening it so marginally? Just curious.

Elminated margin for error and let's me grip the club the same every time. Plus it's what the fitter recommend and I'm not going to argue with that.

Since my fitting I've never driven the ball better in my life 

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Elminated margin for error and let's me grip the club the same every time. Plus it's what the fitter recommend and I'm not going to argue with that.

Since my fitting I've never driven the ball better in my life 

Understood

I'm not trying to be skeptical or dismiss the great work by TruSpec with your fitting. Do you think drilling down to their level of minutiae is beneficial for an inconsistent, mid-handicapper too? Or would someone like me benefit from golf lessons before paying $350 for a club fitting?

This is a "chicken or the egg" type conundrum. 

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

Just now, J.B. TexasEx said:

Understood

I'm not trying to be skeptical or dismiss the great work by TruSpec with your fitting. Do you think drilling down to their level of minutiae is beneficial for an inconsistent, mid-handicapper too? Or would someone like me benefit from golf lessons before paying $350 for a fitting?

This is a "chicken or the egg" type conundrum. 

I think both lessons and fitting are beneficial. 

Having the wrong equipment can produce feels during the swing that can actually cause certain swing patterns. Another valuable part of fitting is gapping. Making sure you have the right set makeup (ie number of wedges, lofts, combo set of irons, transition time hybrids/fairway woods) is absolutely HUGE.

If you are going to get lessons and then put the time and effort into PRACTICING and implementing changes, then lessons will have a better payoff in the long run. However, you need to be honest with yourself in regards to how much you are going to commit to changing your swing. 

I think both lessons and fitting are beneficial. 
Having the wrong equipment can produce feels during the swing that can actually cause certain swing patterns. Another valuable part of fitting is gapping. Making sure you have the right set makeup (ie number of wedges, lofts, combo set of irons, transition time hybrids/fairway woods) is absolutely HUGE.
If you are going to get lessons and then put the time and effort into PRACTICING and implementing changes, then lessons will have a better payoff in the long run. However, you need to be honest with yourself in regards to how much you are going to commit to changing your swing. 

As a higher handicapper I'd agree. My fitter put me in shaft/head combinations that helped me with some of the issues. The end result of the fitting was a much narrower dispersion with the club's he recommended. It didn't take care of all of the issues and that's where the instructor came in. I think if you're going to take this game seriously you should get fit regardless of your handicap. On the other hand if you're going to play a few times a year and don't care about your score a fitting is overkill - but then you're probably not on this forum anyway.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, tony@CIC said:

As a higher handicapper I'd agree. My fitter put me in shaft/head combinations that helped me with some of the issues. The end result of the fitting was a much narrower dispersion with the club's he recommended. It didn't take care of all of the issues and that's where the instructor came in. I think if you're going to take this game seriously you should get fit regardless of your handicap. On the other hand if you're going to play a few times a year and don't care about your score a fitting is overkill - but then you're probably not on this forum anyway.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I want to play more often and more competitively, but I just can't with an 8-year old son.

I haven't been fitted since 2007 with the old lie-board method. He put me into some Cleveland TA-3's (hey, I wanted them bc they're on sale) with 1-degree upright lie and 3/4-inch over standard length, Project X 6.0's. I started missing too much long and left. I subsequently went back to my BH Apex Plus with standard lies and got straightened out. A little more consistent, anyway, but that may have more to do with switching to midsize grips. I'm less handsy.

9 minutes ago, Middler said:

Same conundrum for me. I got fit for everything in my bag but my wedges and putter, but I went to free fitters, and probably got what I paid for. I’d be willing to go for a high end fitting, but I just can’t with my unrepeatable swing. I can mishit any club. “Chicken or the egg” here too...

But what a great thread and OP, not sure how I missed it last summer.

Thanks man. It was a truly eye opening experience and left me with no question that I now have the right equipment in the bag. 

It's kind of odd not pondering new equipment and not being able to blame the club for a bad shot 

22 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thanks man. It was a truly eye opening experience and left me with no question that I now have the right equipment in the bag. 

It's kind of odd not pondering new equipment and not being able to blame the club for a bad shot 

That's my problem - I need to blame the equipment more! 😜

But, yeah, I should go ahead and get fitted to remove this variable from the equation. It's gotta be liberating for the psyche. Kinda like being married to a super-model...or is that a bad analogy?

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That alone is worth something to me. I know my swing is my biggest problem, but I don’t know if it’s 100% me, or something less. I’d pay $350 to know definitely. The other obstacle for me is hitting indoors, I can’t stand it. As bad as I am, I hit better on the course than I ever do in a hitting bay. Probably all in my head, but I’ve never had a good session hitting indoors.

I start shanking almost immediately in those hitting bays. How are you going to fit that? Of course, I should endeavor to attend a few "demo days" at outdoor ranges. That'd probably help.

It's all mental, because there's plenty of room.

7 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I start shanking almost immediately in those hitting bays. How are you going to fit that? Of course, I should endeavor to attend a few "demo days" at outdoor ranges. That'd probably help.

It's all mental, because there's plenty of room.

Hitting indoors and with someone watching can be nerve racking for some people. My fitter really made sure I was relaxed and watched me warm up to understand my natural tendencies so he knew what potential outliers were 

7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Hitting indoors and with someone watching can be nerve racking for some people. My fitter really made sure I was relaxed and watched me warm up to understand my natural tendencies so he knew what potential outliers were 

I wasn't nervous, but I do feel claustrophobic in those hitting bays. Can't put my finger on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, jlukes said:

He asked if I had any preferences and I said that I was open to anything, but no Callaway products (that discussion is for another day).

Is that discussion anywhere to be found?🤣

Great writeup by the way!!

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

#jlukes you went from the JPX 900 to the JPX919, did you notice a difference in the heads and if so, what/how much of a difference is there?  Just curious as to your thoughts, since the heads are very similar.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

21 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

#jlukes you went from the JPX 900 to the JPX919, did you notice a difference in the heads and if so, what/how much of a difference is there?  Just curious as to your thoughts, since the heads are very similar.  

919 has slightly narrower sole and top line. 

Feel is better with the 919 Tours, especially out towards the toe. I feel like the blade length on the 919s is a little longer too, which I like 

IMG_20180911_150900.jpg

IMG_20180911_150830.jpg

16 hours ago, jlukes said:

919 has slightly narrower sole and top line. 

Feel is better with the 919 Tours, especially out towards the toe. I feel like the blade length on the 919s is a little longer too, which I like 

IMG_20180911_150900.jpg

IMG_20180911_150830.jpg

Good to know, thanks!  I was always curious about the two.  I bought my JPX 900's at the end of the season, had them about a month and then Mizuno came out with the 919...ugh!  I wish I would have known.  haha

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"