jlukes

jlukes' Fitting Journey

Great stuff!!! And, of course, a great and informative read.

But... Has the Evnroll been replaced?!?

And there's so much I probably forgot to include in this write-up that I should have.  Like my tweets to @Tony Covey MGS asking him about shaft profile comparisons or all of the comments and encouragement I received in my swing change thread that pushed me to keep working on my swing to get it where it is today.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Great stuff!!! And, of course, a great and informative read.

But... Has the Evnroll been replaced?!?

Haha no no no - well, not permanently.  I won the Spider X in an outing last week and really like how balanced it feels throughout the stroke.  Going to give it some course time.  Dave Stockton said he's a big believer in having a few different style putters to tinker with in case you need something fresh to look down at and help change your putting mindset if you're stuck in a rut.  Not necessarily in a rut with the Evnroll, but wanted try something I haven't before and I am enjoying it thus far.

• Like 7

Great writeup! Congratulations on the new clubs. They look awesome. 

• Like 1

Amazing write up! Thanks for sharing, it was a great read!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Image result for patrick star jaw drop gif

Sick stuff dude. I know exactly what you mean about that little bit of uncertainty in the back of your mind. Looking to squash it myself! Might have to visit NYC again!

• Like 3

Sounds like a fun day. We have a true spec here in Columbus and I think that’s where I’ll go for my next fitting since my last at club champion was meh. 

Nice. Pretty cool experience!!! Sad to hear that your “club ho-ing days are over”, as that means no more MGS testing opportunities.... Ha! Really cool to know everything in the bag fits JUST right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Excellent write-up of your experience, Joe. Those Mizuno irons are gorgeous and I love the black wedges. Can't wait to see how they perform on the course.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Fantastic write-up, pics, and info. What an amazing experience to have. 

• Like 1

Great write up Joe!

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed write up. Sounds like it was a great experience.

While you were working through the wedge fitting, did you gain any knowledge on the approach to finding the right wedge? Like start with same shaft as irons, go heavier in the shaft, swingweight, lie angle...flatter than irons seems to be a suggestion I hear, should you wore about grind, etc.

Wedges are my new area to focus on so I want too try and learn as much as possible

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for the detailed write up. Sounds like it was a great experience.

While you were working through the wedge fitting, did you gain any knowledge on the approach to finding the right wedge? Like start with same shaft as irons, go heavier in the shaft, swingweight, lie angle...flatter than irons seems to be a suggestion I hear, should you wore about grind, etc.

Wedges are my new area to focus on so I want too try and learn as much as possible

Great question.  First thing we talked about was what I use each wedge for.  

For me it was

Gap wedge:  Full Shots, Partial square face shots, low square face shots around green

Sand Wedge: Full shots, Partial Square face shots, square face shots around the green

Lob Wedge: Partial square face shots. square and open faced shots around the green, greenside rough, bunker shots

Turns out he was really happy with the grinds and bounces I had in my bag (full grind, medium bounce on gape wedge.  S grind, medium bounce on my SW.  High bounce with heel and toe relief on my lob wedge).  I made these selections using the vokey wedge selection tool.  IMO it is the single best online fitting tool in golf.

After that we went to lofts.  He already had the idea of 5 degree gaps and liked that I was carrying a 54 degree wedge.  We based the other two wedges off that.  

The next thing we focused on was shafts.  For this it was all about weight and feel.  He recommended going with the wedge shaft in my gap wedge rather than matching my irons shafts just based on how I use my wedges.  While I do use my gap wedge for full swings, I use it a lot for partial swings too.  He manipulated the 54 degree and figured out the proper lie angle (flat from standard and a bit flatter than my irons since there isn't as much shaft deflection with wedges and a flatter lie angle will help with that).

In terms of swingweight relative to the rest of my irons, we went one SW point higher in my gap wedge, and two SW points higher in both my SW and LW.

Let me know if there's anything else that I missed!

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, GeekingGolf said:

Amazing stuff amazing numbers sounds like the experience of a lifetime...

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It really was, but the best part about it is anybody could experience it.  A full bag fitting only costs $350!

• Like 2

Great stuff - I certainly echo some of your sentiments as I had a Club Champion visit in December.  The validation you have knowing you have the right clubs in your bag, just help to provide a little more confidence while your out on the course.  I still think back to my fitting with my driver specifically if I'm having an off day and tell myself to just swing away because the numbers didn't lie.  More often than not, it's helped me get back on track to some degree and right the ship.  

Hopefully you play well the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

Awesome experience @jlukes and thanks for a great write up!

You mentioned the "temporary" putter change, but did you go through any putter fitting stuff while you were there?

• Like 1