jlukes

jlukes' Fitting Journey

15 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

Awesome experience @jlukes and thanks for a great write up!

You mentioned the "temporary" putter change, but did you go through any putter fitting stuff while you were there?

Unfortunately the prize didn't include a putter fitting. Looking back, I wish I would have just paid to have the putter fitting tacked on.

• Like 2

Great write up. Nice that they aren’t trying to just sell you. I did a swing analysis at Golftec. It included a fitting. I just felt like he was always trying to upsell me. Did the driver, but not wanted the full bag because of that feeling. 

Interesting about the Ping 410 being a heavier head weight. Are you considering shortening the shaft?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rchang said:

Great write up. Nice that they aren’t trying to just sell you. I did a swing analysis at Golftec. It included a fitting. I just felt like he was always trying to upsell me. Did the driver, but not wanted the full bag because of that feeling. 

Interesting about the Ping 410 being a heavier head weight. Are you considering shortening the shaft?

I did shorten to 44.75 from 45. 10g weight in the toe. Swing weight at 4.5 where I like to play my driver 

I waited until I had the time to read this uninterrupted, so I grabbed a hot-dog and beverage and sat down to take it all in!

What a great experience, and one of the best write-ups of a fitting I've read, great detailed info on each segment, wit out bombarding or overloading us with stats.  Just perfect, gave the essentials! 

Congrats on the new purchase, so great that your wife was cool with your "free fitting" resulting in some new sticks!  

Small world about Loren and Maria.  A good friend of mine just took the job as her full time caddie.  He had been with Charl Swartzel...who is now out for the year with an injury.   I'm excited to see how things go for them.    He's worked for a previous No. 1 in the world on the LPGA and a number as well.   So he's a good get for her as well. 

• Like 4

@jlukes  absolutely awesome write up, thanks for sharing such an in-depth look at your experience.  How does your fitting with TrueSpec compare to the fittings you have had with Club Champion?  If you did it all over again, would you choose one over the other?

11 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

@jlukes  absolutely awesome write up, thanks for sharing such an in-depth look at your experience.  How does your fitting with TrueSpec compare to the fittings you have had with Club Champion?  If you did it all over again, would you choose one over the other?

I think club champion is fine for most people, but true spec is a couple steps above it and at pretty much the same cost. 

Furthermore, the club champion adaptor raises the swing weights much more than the ones True Spec uses. 

And finally knowing what I know now, I'd never pay to get fit on a trackman indoors. Every time trackman returns a spin number that is italicized, it's because it is guessing at the spin number. This happens on close to 50% of shots indoors. 

• Like 5

@jlukes great write-up and congrats on the new irons and wedges.  By the way, you must feel like one of the most blessed guys in the golfing world, I've never heard of someone winning so much great stuff...selected by MGS for Ping G410 Plus review, TM Spider putter, and True Spec fitting...that's awesome my man.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

@jlukes great write-up and congrats on the new irons and wedges.  By the way, you must feel like one of the most blessed guys in the golfing world, I've never heard of someone winning so much great stuff...selected by MGS for Ping G410 Plus review, TM Spider putter, and True Spec fitting...that's awesome my man.

Well to be fair the Spider X was won in a putting contest so I earned that - and I would like to think that I earned my spot in the Ping review due to my consistent contributions on other reviews, official or unofficial.

Now the True Spec fitting was definitely luck 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I waited until I had the time to read this uninterrupted, so I grabbed a hot-dog and beverage and sat down to take it all in!

What a great experience, and one of the best write-ups of a fitting I've read, great detailed info on each segment, wit out bombarding or overloading us with stats.  Just perfect, gave the essentials! 

Congrats on the new purchase, so great that your wife was cool with your "free fitting" resulting in some new sticks!  

Small world about Loren and Maria.  A good friend of mine just took the job as her full time caddie.  He had been with Charl Swartzel...who is now out for the year with an injury.   I'm excited to see how things go for them.    He's worked for a previous No. 1 in the world on the LPGA and a number as well.   So he's a good get for her as well. 

Thanks Rob!  I tried to stay away from diving too much into the data as it really would have been pointless.  Chose to focus on the process more so than the results!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Well to be fair the Spider X was won in a putting contest so I earned that - and I would like to think that I earned my spot in the Ping review due to my consistent contributions on other reviews, official or unofficial.

Now the True Spec fitting was definitely luck 🙂

Oh, I understand that you earned that putter and your spot in the G410 review...that's why I chose to use "blessed" instead of "lucky." 🙂 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thanks Rob!  I tried to stay away from diving too much into the data as it really would have been pointless.  Chose to focus on the process more so than the results!

Yep. Excellently done.  I enjoyed it.  

• Like 1

Wow that is a great price for top level fitting...

It really was, but the best part about it is anybody could experience it.  A full bag fitting only costs $350!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I also think it's really cool the Patreon with TXG and how you kind of fit yourself into some of the clubs prior with Ian's help

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Great stuff @jlukes! Sounds lie a heck of a time! 

• Like 1

Love that shot of the bag with the Empire State Building in the background

(Never been to NYC so I’m assuming it’s the right building )

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Love that shot of the bag with the Empire State Building in the background emoji106.png

(Never been to NYC so I’m assuming it’s the right building emoji848.png)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Yup! 

Sorry it took me so long to read this.

This is gold everyone.

Glad you had the experience with the fitting!!

46 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Sorry it took me so long to read this.

This is gold everyone.

Glad you had the experience with the fitting!!

I hope you go through a fitting like this one day. You'll absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

I hit those Oban CT shafts on a whim while doing a driver fitting at Impact Golf here in Houston. I was there focusing on fine tuning my driver but I nearly walked out of there with new irons shafts as well. I took about a dozen swings with the Oban CTs and I wouldn't let the fitter take the club away from me. So pure with the feel and so consistent with each swing. If I could just find a buyer for one of my 'gently used/pre-owned' kidneys, I'd have those shafts in my irons ASAP! @jlukes your fitting experience sounds incredible but those iron shafts are what I'm most envious about. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Enjoyed a full iron set (also w/ the Oban shafts) and driver fitting with Sean (now on the mobile unit) last year and has been a game changer. Excellent facility and great crew there! Now comes the rest of the bag.....

Edited by coreydwsmith
  • Like 1