TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Humorous Rules

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My favorite still has to be that if your ball embeds itself in a piece of fruit on the course, you must either play it as it lies or take an unplayable penalty.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My favorite still has to be that if your ball embeds itself in a piece of fruit on the course, you must either play it as it lies or take an unplayable penalty.

Seriously?  I had no idea this was a rule.  No doubt there are plenty of others I'm unaware of.  But then, since I do not play competitively (at least in a formal manner), myself and the others I play with don't bother ourselves too much with the lesser known rules.  

One new rule I have adopted is that if my lie even remotely looks like it has substrate that is going to marr the sole of my new G410 irons, it's getting moved/improved 👍.

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Seriously?  I had no idea this was a rule.  No doubt there are plenty of others I'm unaware of.  But then, since I do not play competitively (at least in a formal manner), myself and the others I play with don't bother ourselves too much with the lesser know rules.  

One new rule I have adopted is that if my lie even remotely looks like it has substrate that is going to marr the sole of my new G410 irons, it's getting moved/improved 👍.

Well, at least you can now legally remove loose impediments; e.g., rocks trigs, etc from bunkers.  Our bunkers tend to have little rocks that show up after a wind storm that blows out some sand.  I always removed them anyway, so nothing new for me!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Well, at least you can now legally remove loose impediments; e.g., rocks trigs, etc from bunkers.  Our bunkers tend to have little rocks that show up after a wind storm that blows out some sand.  I always removed them anyway, so nothing new for me!!

Hopefully our upcoming meetup group is cool with my modified rule set 🙂.  In Yuma, some of the bunkers, particularly at Las Barancas are hard packed sand.  They are not lateral hazards or OB and you can play from them (well, supposed to technically).  We allow use of a tee or a free drop behind point of entry.  When the USGA starts paying for my clubs or their refinishing, I'll abide by their rules verbatim.

12 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hopefully our upcoming meetup group is cool with my modified rule set 🙂.  In Yuma, some of the bunkers, particularly at Las Barancas are hard packed sand.  They are not lateral hazards or OB and you can play from them (well, supposed to technically).  We allow use of a tee or a free drop behind point of entry.  When the USGA starts paying for my clubs or their refinishing, I'll abide by their rules verbatim.

We have one course in town where the bunkers are firm, not maintained, and no one rakes them after play.  I don't play there much, but I get invited once in a while to play Wolf with a group when they are short a player.  Hey!  It's free golf with a cart so why not!  That group's bunker rule is 1) lift your ball, 2) rake the bunker where your ball was, 3) place ball.  You get to play out of the bunker like it was intended to be played.  The group sets the rules for play.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

31 minutes ago, silver & black said:

The rule that I, and anyone I play with, that is disregarded is the ball in a fairway divot. We always just move the ball out of the divot. None of us keep a legit handicap or compete, so................

That's one we use as well.  Another is lift, clean and replace if the ball has muck on it or if they've mowed and it's damp (regardless whether the LC&R rule is in effect).

Here's another rule I did not know.  "If your clubhead falls off during the backswing, and you complete the swing but miss the ball, it doesn't count as a stroke. But if your clubhead falls off during the downswing, and you complete the swing but miss the ball, it counts as a stroke."   Whaaat? 🤣

How about this one. You can use thrown grass clippings, smoke from a cigar, or a handkerchief to assess wind direction, but not a windsock (or anything designed specifically for that purpose).

The rule that I, and anyone I play with, that is disregarded is the ball in a fairway divot. We always just move the ball out of the divot. None of us keep a legit handicap or compete, so................
Agreed. This was the biggest miss from the new rules. You shouldn't be penalized for hitting the ball where you're supposed to!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

That second one came up last year when John Senden's driver shaft broke in the grip section on his downswing. He missed the ball (obviously) and was assessed a penalty. Geoff Ogilvy had some choice words for the rules official on that one lol

That's one we use as well.  Another is lift, clean and replace if the ball has muck on it or if they've mowed and it's damp (regardless whether the LC&R rule is in effect).
Here's another rule I did not know.  "If your clubhead falls off during the backswing, and you complete the swing but miss the ball, it doesn't count as a stroke. But if your clubhead falls off during the downswing, and you complete the swing but miss the ball, it counts as a stroke."   Whaaat? 
How about this one. You can use thrown grass clippings, smoke from a cigar, or a handkerchief to assess wind direction, but not a windsock (or anything designed specifically for that purpose).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

14 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I’m surprised Darren Clark didn’t get kicked out of South Bend for doing that to the precious Notre Dame golf course. 

Nah, Darren hails from Ireland 😉.

How about these:

“If your ball comes to rest next to a cactus, you may wrap an arm or leg in a towel to protect yourself from the needles when you play your shot. But you can’t cover the cactus with a towel.” 🤪

“If the player’s ball lies in a hazard, the insect is considered to be in the hazard and the player may not touch or physically remove the insect from the ball (Rule 13-4c). However, as the insect is animate and capable of moving on its own, the player may take action, such as waving his hand, a club or towel, to encourage the insect to move.”  (and if he fails to cooperate, launch him 😂)

“You cannot place a water bottle on a green and use it as a level to determine how a putt will break.”

OK, complete honesty here, who was aware of these?

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nah, Darren hails from Ireland 😉.

How about these:

“If your ball comes to rest next to a cactus, you may wrap an arm or leg in a towel to protect yourself from the needles when you play your shot. But you can’t cover the cactus with a towel.” 🤪

“If the player’s ball lies in a hazard, the insect is considered to be in the hazard and the player may not touch or physically remove the insect from the ball (Rule 13-4c). However, as the insect is animate and capable of moving on its own, the player may take action, such as waving his hand, a club or towel, to encourage the insect to move.”  (and if he fails to cooperate, launch him 😂)

“You cannot place a water bottle on a green and use it as a level to determine how a putt will break.”

OK, complete honesty here, who was aware of these?

I'm pretty sure that these are from decisions related to the previous versions of the rules, not the current rules.  Even so, the last is still in effect, you can't use a device to determine the slope of a surface.  I'm not sure of of the others.

And for @silver & black, we all have differing opinions, that's what makes the world go round.  Maybe we can talk it through over a pint some time.😁

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm pretty sure that these are from decisions related to the previous versions of the rules, not the current rules.  Even so, the last is still in effect, you can't use a device to determine the slope of a surface.  I'm not sure of of the others.

And for @silver & black, we all have differing opinions, that's what makes the world go round.  Maybe we can talk it through over a pint some time.😁

True Dave.  Some of the humorous rules from the past have been revised or replaced with other humorous rules 😄.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:21 AM, silver & black said:

Yep!  It's not considered Ground Under Repair..... but you're supposed to repair it!!!

The "playing out of a divot" in the fairway is one that I'm really surprised hasn't been changed.  Lots of folks I play with think it's nuts and move their ball. Yes, I know, "how do you define what constitutes a divot" seems to be the BIG issue, but I don't see it that way.  Even if it's not perfectly defined, 90% is good enough IMO.  If everyone gets the same relief option, does it really matter? Not much different than the lift, clean & replace rule; first that everyone has the option, and second that the ball will never be replaced in the exact spot.  I agree with @silver & black, being penalized for hitting the ball where you're supposed to is both humorous and silly.

#giveusrelieffromdivotsnow 👍🤣

Hitting out of a divot isn't that difficult.  Hitting out of a sand filled divot is.  Should be ground under repair.  🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

In my view, divots have been around as long as golf has, long before the first Rules of Golf were written.  Divot holes have always been considered by the ruling bodies to be a normal part of golf.  In most cases, the exceptions to "play it as it lies" have been reactions to changing technologies , things like underground irrigation, paved roadways, improved mowing equipment, as well as geographic expansion of the game.  But none of these changes has changed anything regarding divot holes.They're still a normal part of the game, and don't deserve to be treated as abnormal conditions justifying relief.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Divots are easy to play a ball out of, just needs some commitment to the shot 😉

divot.jpg.8a4a51b19df697f88d31e078df6a8eae.jpg

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Hitting out of a divot isn't that difficult.  Hitting out of a sand filled divot is.  Should be ground under repair.  🙂

At least with a sand-filled divot you have a chance of advancing the ball toward the green.  At my muni my ball has been in an unfilled divot at a 45º angle to the direction of the fairway because someone hit a wicked slice.  Only 1/4 of my ball was above the level of the turf.  No way to get a club on the ball.  I took an unplayable lie in the middle of the fairway.  Playing it as it lies is one thing on a nice, well-maintained course by crews and patrons; it's something else on a muni where grounds crews have more things to do than fill divots and the players almost never repair a divot.  #localrulesrule

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

In my view, divots have been around as long as golf has, long before the first Rules of Golf were written.  Divot holes have always been considered by the ruling bodies to be a normal part of golf.  In most cases, the exceptions to "play it as it lies" have been reactions to changing technologies , things like underground irrigation, paved roadways, improved mowing equipment, as well as geographic expansion of the game.  But none of these changes has changed anything regarding divot holes.They're still a normal part of the game, and don't deserve to be treated as abnormal conditions justifying relief.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

At least with a sand-filled divot you have a chance of advancing the ball toward the green.  At my muni my ball has been in an unfilled divot at a 45º angle to the direction of the fairway because someone hit a wicked slice.  Only 1/4 of my ball was above the level of the turf.  No way to get a club on the ball.  I took an unplayable lie in the middle of the fairway.  Playing it as it lies is one thing on a nice, well-maintained course by crews and patrons; it's something else on a muni where grounds crews have more things to do than fill divots and the players almost never repair a divot.  #localrulesrule

I was talking about divots, not trenches 😄 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• 1 month later...

Your driver face, crown or hosel has a crack and the player cannot replace it?   Apparently not, but you can if it is "significant" damage... WHAAAT? 🙄  And what exactly is significant damage?   This scenario is currently playing out on The Champions Tour Shaw Charity Classic - with PGA Officials trying to make that determination on Michael Bradley's driver... while he has to keep pulling something other than the club needed.  This is silly, humorous rule IMO.

I say if your club is broken you should be able to replace it with a like club.  A quick run back to the players locker room or rental car and their back in business.  

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Your driver face, crown or hosel has a crack and the player cannot replace it?   Apparently not, but you can if it is "significant" damage... WHAAAT? 🙄  And what exactly is significant damage?   This scenario is currently playing out on The Champions Tour Shaw Charity Classic - with PGA Officials trying to make that determination on Michael Bradley's driver... while he has to keep pulling something other than the club needed.  This is silly, humorous rule IMO.

I say if your club is broken you should be able to replace it with a like club.  A quick run back to the players locker room or rental car and their back in business.  

What if the damage is a cosmetic scratch?  What if you just want a different club for the back nine, so you notice some "damage" that was present all day long?  It's a tough line to define without opening up a possibility for continuous substitution.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

What if the damage is a cosmetic scratch?  What if you just want a different club for the back nine, so you notice some "damage" that was present all day long?  It's a tough line to define without opening up a possibility for continuous substitution.

Shouldn't be that ambiguous and a cosmetic scratch is not a crack.  It's a goofy rule and one that should be changed. 

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Shouldn't be that ambiguous and a cosmetic scratch is not a crack.  It's a goofy rule and one that should be changed. 

Did you prefer the old rule?  It was recently reviewed and revised to the current rule, did you read the proposed rules and respond?  In my opinion, the current rule eliminates some previous gray areas, but some still remain, and that's pretty normal when the rulemakers have to make choices.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Did you prefer the old rule?  It was recently reviewed and revised to the current rule, did you read the proposed rules and respond?  In my opinion, the current rule eliminates some previous gray areas, but some still remain, and that's pretty normal when the rulemakers have to make choices.

What signifies significant damage? Can you tighten a weight on an adjustable driver that cane loose during play? Honestly agent looked it up and I need to but the weight in my flash can loose after tee shot on 10 today. I tightened it but I need to figure out if that can be done in tourney play as it does happen occasionally. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, Kenny B said:

We have one course in town where the bunkers are firm, not maintained, and no one rakes them after play.  I don't play there much, but I get invited once in a while to play Wolf with a group when they are short a player.  Hey!  It's free golf with a cart so why not!  That group's bunker rule is 1) lift your ball, 2) rake the bunker where your ball was, 3) place ball.  You get to play out of the bunker like it was intended to be played.  The group sets the rules for play.  

Exactly what most groups do set their own rules for play as long as everyone is aware and is ok with it---- Also courses adapt local rules for play too--- good example the root rule which applies to most courses here. We have lots of tree roots sticking out of the ground here from water oaks etc. You are allowed the nearest point of relief. Who wants someone to break their wrist while they are out having fun? from what I see around here most folks play by their own rules and do not keep a handicap and could give 2 hoots less what the USGA says.  Technically I am one of them most of the equipment I play is non conforming because it is OLD and not on a list but I could care less about the USGA or the R&A for that matter. Besides I do not play stipulated or Pro comps anymore and I play for fun

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What signifies significant damage? Can you tighten a weight on an adjustable driver that cane loose during play? Honestly agent looked it up and I need to but the weight in my flash can loose after tee shot on 10 today. I tightened it but I need to figure out if that can be done in tourney play as it does happen occasionally. 

Now you can have 50 different Philadelphia lawyers interpret the rule 50 different ways. The way I read it yes you can as long as the weight loosened up in the normal course of play. Now for example if you had banged it on the ground in a fit of anger and somehow shook the weight loose then no.    BTW a little bit of green Loctite will prevent that weight from working loose in the future. green is the weakest form of the stuff and you can apply low heat if you ever want to change that weight. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G