Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf Humorous Rules

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Now you can have 50 different Philadelphia lawyers interpret the rule 50 different ways. The way I read it yes you can as long as the weight loosened up in the normal course of play. Now for example if you had banged it on the ground in a fit of anger and somehow shook the weight loose then no.    BTW a little bit of green Loctite will prevent that weight from working loose in the future. green is the weakest form of the stuff and you can apply low heat if you ever want to change that weight. 

You are correct and incorrect from what I read. It appears that it doesn’t matter how the damage is incurred. But You can either repair it or continue to use it in it’s damaged state. 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-4.html

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

What if the damage is a cosmetic scratch?  What if you just want a different club for the back nine, so you notice some "damage" that was present all day long?  It's a tough line to define without opening up a possibility for continuous substitution.

I will side with you on that one sometimes a cosmetic crack and a structural crack are hard to tell apart. I have cracked only 2 metal drivers and I could tell when it happened by the feel and sound. One would have been obvious to a darn near blind man. I literally blew the crown out of an Adams driver one time and the sound was horrible. My first metal driver was a small headed Founders Judge with a X-100 steel shaft . It cracked along the rails on the sole. I did not know at first but I knew something was wrong by the way it hit. But then again I thought it may have been me because I had just switched from persimmon. This was during a Mini Tour Event. I finished out that side hitting a 1 iron. At the turn one of my playing competitors said let me look at that thing. He saw the cracks on the bottom. The tour director agreed it was unfit for play so I was allowed to go to my car and get a replacement which was my Toney Penna persimmon. Footnote I found out later on that those drivers were prone to cracking with stiff steel shafts in them. Founders company would not replace the head. Told me those heads were designed for graphite only. Of course this was 17 years ago when I could still hit a ball. Now I doubt I could crack a child's plastic toy driver

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

You are correct and incorrect from what I read. It appears that it doesn’t matter how the damage is incurred. But You can either repair it or continue to use it in it’s damaged state. 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rule-4.html

LOL this is where the Philly lawyers come in----- You can be both correct or incorrect depending on how the rule is interpreted. If the damage or change makes the club non conforming then you can not play it. In the case given I can not see where a loose weight would make the club non conforming but then again if the weight flew off then the club is not in the same state it was in technically when the round was started. You ever read the decisions book? That thing is as complicated and full of loopholes as some Supreme Court Decisions. Back when I was in the PGAOA and played the mini tours I went to rules seminars once a year. I can not cite "scripture or verse" but I do remember one decision came to be and I remembered from a previous seminar the same thing came up in a similar decision and it was the same thing with two different decisions

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

6 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

LOL this is where the Philly lawyers come in----- You can be both correct or incorrect depending on how the rule is interpreted. If the damage or change makes the club non conforming then you can not play it. In the case given I can not see where a loose weight would make the club non conforming but then again if the weight flew off then the club is not in the same state it was in technically when the round was started. You ever read the decisions book? That thing is as complicated and full of loopholes as some Supreme Court Decisions. Back when I was in the PGAOA and played the mini tours I went to rules seminars once a year. I can not cite "scripture or verse" but I do remember one decision came to be and I remembered from a previous seminar the same thing came up in a similar decision and it was the same thing with two different decisions

The decision book is an absolute nightmare. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

16 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What signifies significant damage? Can you tighten a weight on an adjustable driver that cane loose during play? Honestly agent looked it up and I need to but the weight in my flash can loose after tee shot on 10 today. I tightened it but I need to figure out if that can be done in tourney play as it does happen occasionally. 

Tightening loose screws like that is specifically allowed.  It took me about 20 seconds to locate that in the Interpretations 4.1a(2)/1.

15 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The decision book is an absolute nightmare. 

And there is no longer a decision book.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

16 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL this is where the Philly lawyers come in----- You can be both correct or incorrect depending on how the rule is interpreted. If the damage or change makes the club non conforming then you can not play it. In the case given I can not see where a loose weight would make the club non conforming but then again if the weight flew off then the club is not in the same state it was in technically when the round was started. 

I would respectfully suggest that those who would like to complain about the rules actually read the current version of the rules.  Beginning about 8 months ago, it doesn't matter what the nature of the damage is, or how it occurred, the club is considered conforming for the remainder of the stipulated round.  You may repair it, or continue to play with it.  In very limited circumstances, you can replace it with any other club.

The rules really did get substantially simplified.  They're still pretty detailed, but they were improved.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

50 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I would respectfully suggest that those who would like to complain about the rules actually read the current version of the rules.  Beginning about 8 months ago, it doesn't matter what the nature of the damage is, or how it occurred, the club is considered conforming for the remainder of the stipulated round.  You may repair it, or continue to play with it.  In very limited circumstances, you can replace it with any other club.

The rules really did get substantially simplified.  They're still pretty detailed, but they were improved.

I'm not complaining, I just find some of them silly and humorous.  Break your stick in hockey... get a new stick.  Break your bat in baseball... get a new bat. Golf's challenging enough without having to play with a damaged club.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

To be completely honest I have not read the whole new rule book. Just saw some of the rules changes on the computer. Really being honest again I do not really care because I do not play comps anymore or keep a stipulated handicap. Any of the groups I play in could care less we just play. Now I will concede IF I still played comps or was in the business I would have already been to the rules seminars. The only work I do in my golf shop any more is for collectors of old stuff or some of the guys in the different groups I play in. I did build a broomstick putter for a college player the other day and went on the computer to check out the min length separation of dual grips and lie specs on the rules

G

Here's an odd one.  Played Madison Meadows the other day and there is a fairly lengthy red staked area along the right side of the fairway on hole #6. My ball ran off the fairway and into that area.  Approaching the point of entry, I notice some new signs stating "environmentally sensitive area - do not enter".  I can see my ball and it is playable.  I used my ball retriever and took a drop and a stroke - a stroke that I would have opted not to take.  Filled with water and definitely not playable would be better than this tease 😑.

19 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Here's an odd one.  Played Madison Meadows the other day and there is a fairly lengthy red staked area along the right side of the fairway on hole #6. My ball ran off the fairway and into that area.  Approaching the point of entry, I notice some new signs stating "environmentally sensitive area - do not enter".  I can see my ball and it is playable.  I used my ball retriever and took a drop and a stroke - a stroke that I would have opted not to take.  Filled with water and definitely not playable would be better than this tease 😑.

It may have been covered under a "local rule" some environmental sensitive areas here are covered by a free drop some are not. One course here called Blackmoor (designed by Gary Player) has a graveyard on one of the holes over to the left. This graveyard dates back to the 1800s. If you hit it in there it is a free drop. That "local rule" is posted on the scorecards plus the area is signed stating the fact

G

These aren't really local rules, they're two examples of "no play zones".  The Committee can designate no play zones for any reason, including specifically 

• Protecting wildlife, animal habitats, and environmentally sensitive areas,

• Preventing damage to young trees, flower beds, turf nurseries, re-turfed areas or other planted areas,

• Protecting players from danger, and

• Preserving sites of historical or cultural interest.

The Committee can designate the no play zones as abnormal course conditions (free drop) or penalty areas.  I didn't check back, but I believe this type of designation was available under the previous rules as well.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It may have been covered under a "local rule" some environmental sensitive areas here are covered by a free drop some are not.

Good point.  I didn't think to check with the pro shop about it as I was in a heated race to outrun the rain bands heading towards me. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good point.  I didn't think to check with the pro shop about it as I was in a heated race to outrun the rain bands heading towards me. 

In my area, we sometimes see red stakes with a green top to denote an "environmentally sensitive" no play zone within a penalty area.  Its worth checking with the pro shop next time you go back, or maybe even send an email asking the status of that specific area.  The way you describe it, with the entire area having red stakes, the sign is just there to make it extremely clear that this is a no play zone to be played as a penalty area.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I played a course where those red stakes with green top were protected areas...BUT we were instructed to play them as a free drop. No penalty, but same rule as a normal red drop.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 6/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Hopefully our upcoming meetup group is cool with my modified rule set 🙂.  In Yuma, some of the bunkers, particularly at Las Barancas are hard packed sand.  They are not lateral hazards or OB and you can play from them (well, supposed to technically).  We allow use of a tee or a free drop behind point of entry.  When the USGA starts paying for my clubs or their refinishing, I'll abide by their rules verbatim.

We have this same rule at a local course after last summer heard someone scream in a bunker looked over to see him doubled over holding his now (more than likely) broken something (arm, wrist etc) and pick up two pieces of his club. Its like hitting off concrete

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Speaking of hitting out of concrete bunkers, a stump/root forrest, rock garden, etc., what is your personal limit when it comes to what type lousy lie you're willing to play from?  As stated earlier, I will not opt to scar my new irons for nuttin.

One of my PE2's wore a bad scar when, during league play, I hit from a bare dirt, rock laden lie (a rock just under the dirt). That decision/scar pissed me off for years. I know some carry a spare "don't care" iron for these situations and I've thought about doing that - thinking a 6i would be a good choice?

Speaking of hitting out of concrete bunkers, a stump/root forrest, rock garden, etc., what is your personal limit when it comes to what type lousy lie you're willing to play from?  As stated earlier, I will not opt to scar my new irons for nuttin.
One of my PE2's wore a bad scar when, during league play, I hit from a bare dirt, rock laden lie (a rock just under the dirt). That decision/scar pissed me off for years. I know some carry a spare "don't care" iron for these situations and I've thought about doing that - thinking a 6i would be a good choice?

The way the guys play at our club, if there's a chance you're going to damage a club or yourself you employ a foot wedge.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

At my old course... a dog track exec, I carried a "rock club" for those shots that miss the fairways.  I used an 8i, but that's because the one par 5 and 6 par 4's were short.  I have a nice gouge in a forged SW that really pissed me off.  It's like having "rock skis" for those spring ski trips.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

At my old course... a dog track exec, I carried a "rock club" for those shots that miss the fairways.

That must have been the loneliest club in your bag 😉.

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The way the guys play at our club, if there's a chance you're going to damage a club or yourself you employ a foot wedge.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

FW's are the most often used club in Yuma.  I'm currently shopping for one with a more friendly sole grind and better bounce 🙂.

59 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

FW's are the most often used club in Yuma.  I'm currently shopping for one with a more friendly sole grind and better bounce 🙂.

Does the foot wedge count against the 14-club limit?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Does the foot wedge count against the 14-club limit?

That would depend on your local rules 😉.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, fixyurdivot said:

If there is a chance of hurting myself or breaking a club, we let you move it. No sense in ending a round or a season if you get hurt 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 3 weeks later...

We have stakes marked red with green tops to identify the environmentally sensitive areas. In our case, it is an automatic 1 stroke penalty using the drop rule for a red stake. You cannot enter those areas. At least that’s how our course is marked

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

We have stakes marked red with green tops to identify the environmentally sensitive areas. In our case, it is an automatic 1 stroke penalty using the drop rule for a red stake. You cannot enter those areas. At least that’s how our course is marked

So basically play it like a water hazard? 

11 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So basically play it like a water hazard? 

It is a no play zone that is also a penalty area, so you are required to take penalty area relief.  Normally in a penalty area you are allowed to play the ball as it lies, OR take relief, here you cannot play it as it lies, you must take relief.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 9/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, fixyurdivot said:

If I’m playing with the group I’ve played with for the last 20+ years there’s two choices. Play it as it lies or take unplayable. 

If I’m out at a different course it depends on how I’m feeling. If it’s just a round to play some golf and I’m not playing be the rules I’ll move it otherwise it’s the same two choices as with the long-standing group

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So not sure this will count but this has come up at our club in the past. When someone is getting strokes on a hole you cannot make a zero. The story goes that some one was getting 2 strokes on a par 3 and made birdie so they would be net 0. Not sure the official rule on this but for us you can only make a minimum of net 1 on a hole. Always found this funny. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

26 minutes ago, the_hammer said:

So not sure this will count but this has come up at our club in the past. When someone is getting strokes on a hole you cannot make a zero. The story goes that some one was getting 2 strokes on a par 3 and made birdie so they would be net 0. Not sure the official rule on this but for us you can only make a minimum of net 1 on a hole. Always found this funny. 

I'm not sure that this one is actually in the Rules of Golf.  If that guy makes a 2 with even one stroke, it takes an ace to tie him, and that's pretty dang rare.  If you're in a stroke play situation, handicaps aren't applied on each hole, the handicap is applied only to the total score for the round.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia