fixyurdivot

Golf Humorous Rules

These aren't really local rules, they're two examples of "no play zones".  The Committee can designate no play zones for any reason, including specifically 

• Protecting wildlife, animal habitats, and environmentally sensitive areas,

• Preventing damage to young trees, flower beds, turf nurseries, re-turfed areas or other planted areas,

• Protecting players from danger, and

• Preserving sites of historical or cultural interest.

The Committee can designate the no play zones as abnormal course conditions (free drop) or penalty areas.  I didn't check back, but I believe this type of designation was available under the previous rules as well.

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It may have been covered under a "local rule" some environmental sensitive areas here are covered by a free drop some are not.

Good point.  I didn't think to check with the pro shop about it as I was in a heated race to outrun the rain bands heading towards me. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good point.  I didn't think to check with the pro shop about it as I was in a heated race to outrun the rain bands heading towards me. 

In my area, we sometimes see red stakes with a green top to denote an "environmentally sensitive" no play zone within a penalty area.  Its worth checking with the pro shop next time you go back, or maybe even send an email asking the status of that specific area.  The way you describe it, with the entire area having red stakes, the sign is just there to make it extremely clear that this is a no play zone to be played as a penalty area.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 2

I played a course where those red stakes with green top were protected areas...BUT we were instructed to play them as a free drop. No penalty, but same rule as a normal red drop.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Hopefully our upcoming meetup group is cool with my modified rule set 🙂.  In Yuma, some of the bunkers, particularly at Las Barancas are hard packed sand.  They are not lateral hazards or OB and you can play from them (well, supposed to technically).  We allow use of a tee or a free drop behind point of entry.  When the USGA starts paying for my clubs or their refinishing, I'll abide by their rules verbatim.

We have this same rule at a local course after last summer heard someone scream in a bunker looked over to see him doubled over holding his now (more than likely) broken something (arm, wrist etc) and pick up two pieces of his club. Its like hitting off concrete

• Sad 1

Speaking of hitting out of concrete bunkers, a stump/root forrest, rock garden, etc., what is your personal limit when it comes to what type lousy lie you're willing to play from?  As stated earlier, I will not opt to scar my new irons for nuttin.

One of my PE2's wore a bad scar when, during league play, I hit from a bare dirt, rock laden lie (a rock just under the dirt). That decision/scar pissed me off for years. I know some carry a spare "don't care" iron for these situations and I've thought about doing that - thinking a 6i would be a good choice?

• Like 1

Speaking of hitting out of concrete bunkers, a stump/root forrest, rock garden, etc., what is your personal limit when it comes to what type lousy lie you're willing to play from?  As stated earlier, I will not opt to scar my new irons for nuttin.
One of my PE2's wore a bad scar when, during league play, I hit from a bare dirt, rock laden lie (a rock just under the dirt). That decision/scar pissed me off for years. I know some carry a spare "don't care" iron for these situations and I've thought about doing that - thinking a 6i would be a good choice?

The way the guys play at our club, if there's a chance you're going to damage a club or yourself you employ a foot wedge.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

At my old course... a dog track exec, I carried a "rock club" for those shots that miss the fairways.  I used an 8i, but that's because the one par 5 and 6 par 4's were short.  I have a nice gouge in a forged SW that really pissed me off.  It's like having "rock skis" for those spring ski trips.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

At my old course... a dog track exec, I carried a "rock club" for those shots that miss the fairways.

That must have been the loneliest club in your bag 😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The way the guys play at our club, if there's a chance you're going to damage a club or yourself you employ a foot wedge.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

FW's are the most often used club in Yuma.  I'm currently shopping for one with a more friendly sole grind and better bounce 🙂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

FW's are the most often used club in Yuma.  I'm currently shopping for one with a more friendly sole grind and better bounce 🙂.

Does the foot wedge count against the 14-club limit?

9 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Does the foot wedge count against the 14-club limit?

That would depend on your local rules 😉.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, fixyurdivot said:

If there is a chance of hurting myself or breaking a club, we let you move it. No sense in ending a round or a season if you get hurt 

• Like 3

I think most people would allow a safe drop from harm, to the player or equipment. Unless you are turning in your score for a legit handicap, there is no reason to risk damage to you or your equipment.