TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's your range routine?

Curious to hear and glean some tips from some of y'all's practice routines. What kind of routines do you go with to keep your game crisp? Range routines, short game practice, at home practice, whatever you're doing to get that Handicap dropping!

What kind of frequency you're practicing, specific things you're focusing on, games you play on the range to get closer to real-round scenarios, let us hear it!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

Depends on where I’m at with my swing. I try to do a portion working in drills, then another working on shots and finish with some wedge work. One thing I’ve gotten away from is a session dedicated to putting and chipping.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Curious to hear and glean some tips from some of y'all's practice routines. What kind of routines do you go with to keep your game crisp? Range routines, short game practice, at home practice, whatever you're doing to get that Handicap dropping!

What kind of frequency you're practicing, specific things you're focusing on, games you play on the range to get closer to real-round scenarios, let us hear it!

When I'm on the driving range, I just try to mix it up and go at targets like I would at the golf course. I don't get too detailed on the range because if I'm hitting a bucket of balls, I'm probably more concerned with something other than specifically where the ball is going - until I'm ready to verify the success of what I've been working on. I do switch up clubs and I do it in random order based on how I'm feeling and what I think I need to spend time on.

One thing I like to do when working on short game is drop 3-5 balls and practice pitching chipping. Once all balls have been hit, I'll walk over to the one furthest from the hole and hole out with all balls from there. The objective being that my proximity is good enough for me to one-putt most if not all balls and definitely should not 3-putt. I'll do the same thing when working on lag putting.

The one other thing I've done (with much less frequency) is I'll setup a putting station somewhere within 5' of the hole using alignment rods and/or a putting mirror.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

When I'm on the range, I'm usually either working on something specific in my swing until it feels comfortable or working on hitting the ball to targets. I also spend a lot of time working on half wedge shots because this can be a weakness in my game if I don't practice it enough.

One thing I like to do on the practice green, that has helped me a lot, is to set up a 9 hole putt putt course. I play each hole as a par 2 and work on how well I can shoot. I feel like this routine has helped me when I play real rounds because I'm putting the same pressure to score on myself, when I practice this way, and try to avoid 3 putts.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Just back from the range.

2 clubs down for alignment, then using a 6 iron only working on a proper turn, proper hip turn in the backswing and not a sway, then proper turn in the downswing.

Then at the end I hit Driver to ensure any changes are working for the long game.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Depends on what I need to work on, if its just a general range session, I will pull the driver out, hit a drive, then based on that pick the next club in shot succession to the green, this way practice is more like play. If I need to work on something specific I will do that. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

9 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

2 clubs down for alignment, then using a 6 iron only working on a proper turn, proper hip turn in the backswing and not a sway, then proper turn in the downswing.

Then at the end I hit Driver to ensure any changes are working for the long game.

Ah okay, I like that. So do you typically do most of your work with a select few mid-irons and then get it dialed in with the longer clubs, as opposed to hitting "up the bag" with most/all your irons?

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

1 minute ago, ncwoz said:

Ah okay, I like that. So do you typically do most of your work with a select few mid-irons and then get it dialed in with the longer clubs, as opposed to hitting "up the bag" with most/all your irons?

Yes, any swing changes or 'bedding in' a change works best with a mid iron. You can then take that to the rest of your bag.

I can't claim the credit for this, I adopted it a few years ago when Rory Mcilroy stated it's the club he uses for changes or swing improvements. Makes sense to me.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I typically start out with a 7i. then driver and woods. We also have 2 practice holes and my focus there is solely pitching, chipping.and putting. 

I view the work at both range and practice holes as a way to inspire my confidence in specific clubs,  if a club wasn't working for me at my last game. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

27 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Yes, any swing changes or 'bedding in' a change works best with a mid iron. You can then take that to the rest of your bag.

I can't claim the credit for this, I adopted it a few years ago when Rory Mcilroy stated it's the club he uses for changes or swing improvements. Makes sense to me.

Huh, I really like that. I'll give it a go, thanks for the tip!!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

I start by swinging the Orange Whip to loosen up. Then over to the practice green. Chipping from fairway or fringe with the PW or 9 iron, then green side rough lies with the sand wedge. Those are every time, and less frequently I’ll hope in the trap for some bunker practice, which I should really do every time.

I then go up through the bag PW to driver hitting full shots. Once I’m finished with driver I’ll then pick out random flags and hit out of order, 5-iron, PW, 7-iron, 5-wood, etc.

Finally PW practice for all those quarter-swing, half-swing distances.

Then a nice tall unsweetened Iced Tea with lemon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I haven't be out to just practice in quite a while. Before I play it's always the same routine.

56*, 7i, driver, chip and putt. Then it's off to the tee box.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I start by easy chipping and pitch with my L wedge, not really focusing on hitting targets or distances, but just loosening up the body. Then do the same with the driver, easy swings, tho i am more focused on ball flight and direction I dont get hung up to much. After Ive warmed up i start hitting seriously. I’ll alternate doing ladder drills with a wedge (chip a ball 5 yards, let it roll out, then try to land the next ball where the the previous ball finished, repeating this until i hit a full swing with a wedge). Then pull out the driver, i pick a left and right boundary (imagining a fairway) and will hit 2-3 balls. Randomly i’ll pull out an iron and hit a few shots at a target or on a line. I like to focus a lot on wedges and driver as those clubs really determine the score of my round. 

After I’m done with a bucket, ill get another medium bucket and play and imaginary round in the my head based off course I’ve played or seen. I’ll do my preshot routine before every shot, imagine the flight of the ball and where i want to land and hit. I try to be true to myself and so a bad drive will lead me to hitting punch out shots from “the trees” or hitting towering wedge shots to get over “the trees” back into a “fairway”. If i hit an approach shot that goes offline from my target ill then hit a chip or pitch depending on the quality of the approach shot. When I chip i pick out a spot on the range and try to land the ball there. If i hit the spot i’ll Give myself a 1 putt, miss the spot by 1-3 yards, a 2 putt, anymore incures a 3 putt. Once i finish up the round i can Talley up a score. Really helps me transfer my practice on the range to play on the course. 

Lastly I’ll head to the putting green. I use 1 ball and “play” 18 holes, always from 20 or more out, focusing on 2 putting every hole and finishing with a score of 36. My theory is that on the course I’m gonna be hitting my first putt usually from a long ways away, i should practice this scenario so I’m not freaked out when i really play and hit a shot onto a green that leaves me a 30 foot putt. Also, i like usuing one ball so i cant use the crutch of “oh i hit that one to hard, ill hit this one softer and say ‘that’s the putt i really would’ve hit on the course’”, i try to have a do or die mentality on the putting green.

Taylormade M6 D-Type 7 Degrees

Callaway Apex UT 3-4 Irons

Mizuno MP-5 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Taylormade Spider Tour Putter

I start my routine with simple stretching of the legs back and upper body. 

I move to hitting about 5-7 shots each starting with my 56 degree wedge at a target about 50 yards or so away.

After hitting the wedges I move to the short irons of the pw-8. Again hitting about 5 balls each iron at a target about 100 yards away.

Repeat the process with my longer irons now 7-5 iron at the 150 yard marker hitting this time no more than 5 balls.

Then ending the range session with my hybrid to the driver hitting about 10 balls total with those. Ill hit a few extra just incase something feels off with these.

I'll then go to the chipping area and work on controlled distances slightly off the green and in deeper rough to get a feel for how the ball will react in the weather today. I'll just bring about 4-5 balls with me and chip and bump around for around 15 mins.

I'll then finish the session with putting first setting up with close putts about 3-5 feet away and get a feel for the speed of the greens. Then work my way further out til I'm putting about 20 feet away and trying to lag putt to the pin. This will help on distance and speed control or the greens you'll likely be playing for the day.

I make sure I stretch properly before I begin.  Then use a 7 iron with half shots to add speed (10 - 15 shots).  Hit full shots using course routine.  Will stay with the 7 iron until I am confident with consistency and ball flight then move to the 5 iron, 5 wood and driver.  Usually end with hitting random clubs to targets.

For short game I have a putting green in my yard that I can hit up to 50 yard pitch shots.  I try to have a quick practice at least twice a week.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I'll warm up by hitting 2-3 shots per club. Then I'll often take an old scorecard with me and play through 18 holes.. at least the non putting part. I'll make up scenarios to go with my good and poor strikes. This way I'm cycling through all or most of my clubs.

If I don't have a scorecard, I'll still play an imaginary round in my head.. or at least create scenarios that require use of various clubs.

I'll always finish my range session with some chip and putt practice. Similar to the range, I'll work my around the green chipping from different lies and distances from the hole. Imagining that the chip is my 3rd shot so it's important to be within makeable putt distance. This adds just enough pressure so that the practice is more meaningful.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Not a big range person. I prefer putting green and short game.

Pre round would be hit 3/4 wedge shots, 3/4 7 irons and 3/4 drivers. I’ll chip/pitch a few to get the swing going and then putt some 20/30 footers to calibrate green speed.

Practice would be mostly chips and pitches. If I go to the range it is generally to work on specific technique things with my swing. Range balls prohibit distance calibration for pitching. I have a couple of courses near me with short game areas but not a real green. The ones that have a real green only have room for short shots.

My other practice range is the gc quad at MGS headquarters. When I have some extra time I work on some mechanics.

My home putting range is a start line trainer that I use to roll balls through gates to work on face control.

So lots of “ranges” where I work on specific things.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm also not a range person, unless I need to work on something.  I made a swing change last year, so I did spend more time on the range than usual.  I may/may not use the range before a round.  I don't have any noticeable differences whether I do or not.  I will spend 15 minutes stretching and hitting pitch shots to the practice green to feel my tempo.  I will also chip and putt for 15 minutes to get a feel for the day's green speed before a round.  It makes a difference whether I play in the morning or later in the day.

Most practice days are in the short game area and putting green.  I may hit a few 9i and driver shots on the range, but probably no more than 20 balls total.  I also play practice shots on the golf course when the course is empty... best practice area there is.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Prior to a game, I'll hit a few wedges, then a few mid irons, then the driver, then head over to the putting green, chip a few then putt.

For practice time, it varies depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.  I spend much more time working on 100 yards and in than my long game.  When I work on my long game, I'm generally working on path and rotation.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

For me it depends what I’m looking to do. I always start by stretching and putting a club across my chest to feel a good shoulder turn. From there I’ll hit 4-5 PWs to feel the swing.

Once that’s done I’ll try and focus on one thing. I’ll use my 7i for that, then work my way around the bag until the bucket is done. I’ll usually end with 4-5 drivers unless the big dog is something I worked on during the session.

I make sure to always have an alignment rod on the ground so I can work on a consistent setup, and I always have a defined target for each club. Even when I’m working on something body specific, like my shoulder turn, I have a target in mind (even if the ball doesn’t always end up there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I may have missed it but I am surprised that no one has said that they work on a specific shot that they struggled with on prior round. Nicklaus used to go directly to the range after his round and work specifically on a shot he missed or didn't execute properly during his round. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I start with 1/4 58* shots then 1/2 3/4 finish with full 58* shots. That’s just to get warmed up. Then it’s 7 iron, hybrid, driver. Driver is to figure out what “shot” I’m going to be playing that day, could be a fade, draw, or the lovely straight ball. Then it’s 4 balls with driver to hit a high fade for one specific hole (#3 at my course). 5 minutes of putting, then 5 minutes of chipping. Pretty simple for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

5 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I may have missed it but I am surprised that no one has said that they work on a specific shot that they struggled with on prior round. Nicklaus used to go directly to the range after his round and work specifically on a shot he missed or didn't execute properly during his round. 

Nicklaus had one shot that he didn't execute properly during a round.  I usually have at least one with every club I used during my round.  LOL!  I wouldn't know where to begin.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I hit balls before a round, I just hit small bucket. 8i, to wedges, metals, to mid tgen back to wedges. Chip and putt to get speed down. 

Strictly range I go wirh a plan and usually leave bag in truck and just take specifics clubs to work on.  Migt be metals and hybrids, long irons, mid irons, or short iron. One range sessin last monrh it was really windy so I worked a low punch shots and keeping the ball down. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I start with a small bucket (27 balls). After warming up with my PW, I go to 7i or 6i, then driver. Then I generally alternate shots with the remaining balls, e.g. driver, 3h, wedge. However, if I had bad round previously I will work on my long irons (usually the culprit!). Then I move to the practice green or bunker and work through the 40+ balls in my shag bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wow big question.

Short game is normally twice a week and random - too three balls, grab putter and wedge and have to get them up and down fro where they lie.

Range is totally different - it depends what I’m working on. Right now it’s gapping. :)

So I do my dynamic warm up and start with pitching wedge until I’m loose - once I am I grab the swing caddie and hit 3 shots with each club through driver - then hit a dozen or so random shots- driver - 7 iron - 5 wood - 9 iron - that sort of thing -

Then gap wedge at a couple of different targets and 60 as well to finish.

I try to do that twice a week too

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I try to incorporate the same warmups that I did from the lessons I was taking in the spring, all about getting the feel ( if that makes sense of the proper set up, take away and finish)

the first 5 shots I always hit are with the 56 degree, I stand with my feet together ball in middle of stance  and just like a pendulum back and forth focusing on club location on the back swing , square at impact and the turn to finish position. If all 5 go straight and airborne , I hit 3 more from my full stance , the only catch as I struggle with not having active feet and tend to stay planted is on my back swing I lift my front foot up just slightly to get the feeling of moving , again if I get 3 good shots I move on.  If I struggle there is a 3rd drill I was shown and its same as the first one except on the back swing you pick up your front foot step back to the back foot and on the down swing your front foot also moves forward. all about trying to get my feet moving to generate power.

I usually take 10-12 shots total , might go back to the first one at the end for a couple just to get that feeling again of proper swing .

I then work my way through the bag  wedges I hit 3 half swing 3 full swing shots (56,52,pw)

rest of my irons 3 full shots each ( 4-9 iron)

Now the hybrid/fairway portion of my bag has been a work in progress, I have added in my 4,5 iron as I started struggling to hit fair way wood and have been very happy with my irons.  I currently use a king cobra 3/4 hybrid and I will hit 5 shots with it then move to driver where I will also hit 5 drives.

I then move to the chipping area and will practice the 7 and 9 iron bump and runs 5 each,  I struggle somewhat with wedges close to the green and find a bump and run works best.

I will hit 3 or 4 sand shots just to get the feel of the required effort to get out of the traps if its been raining , very dry sort of thing.

Last the putting green and I will hit 15-18 putts ,  usually starting from 3' to 6' to 10' then I will take aim at the furthest away hole up hill then down hill just to see effort required to get close.

I have seen some improvement in my game and swing this year so far, still working and always tinkering but I have found this works for me.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I like to start each range session with wedge shots starting at half swings moving to 3/4 then dialed back full, then nuke a couple Haha. I then go to my 8 iron and hit a couple dialed back shots. Then on to 2 iron and hit a few solid strikes. Follow that with 3wood off a tee and then a few driver shots. I like ending the session with some feel wedge shots for specific distances now that the body is fully warm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Several years ago, I recognized a tendency in my practice sessions. Specifically, if I began by reaching for wrenches on the forgiving end of the bag, relatively bad swings still net reasonable results. And every poor swing with acceptable results inevitably reinforces feel in the negative. So I decided to adopt Freddie’s approach and start grabbing the 4-iron straight away. I make practice swings for a few minutes, focusing on rotation and plane until the body feels completely activated. Then I’ll start hitting balls - knock-down draws, followed by high fades.

Compared to a wedge, putting a poor swing on a 4-iron gives me crystal clear feedback on what I’m potentially doing wrong. And for me, nauseating long iron clankers, provide the kind of encouragement that makes it much easier to ignore feel (a fluid notion day-to-day) and make appropriate physical adjustments immediately.

In contrast, if I’m halfway through a big bucket working my way up from wedges to long irons, tempo and positions are basically set for the day. And at that point, any flaws that begin to present with the less forgiving clubs are much harder to correct with ~50 swings already under my belt. Some days (bad), I’ll hit nothing but 4-iron and others (good) I’m comfortable jumping around the bag after a dozen balls.

To stay focused on every swing - I keep the bucket 10 feet away, only grab one ball at a time, and go through a full pre-shot routine.

Since adopting the formula outlined above, my practice sessions are more productive and pre-round warmups are much more instructive re: the swing I’m bringing to the first tee. Generally, the result is not only bringing a better swing to the course, but also being more mentally prepared for what I’m likely facing on any particular day.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

6 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Several years ago, I recognized a tendency in my practice sessions.  Specifically, if I began by reaching for wrenches on the forgiving end of the bag, relatively bad swings still net reasonable results. And every poor swing with acceptable results inevitably reinforces feel in the negative. So I decided to adopt Freddie’s approach and start grabbing the 4-iron straight away. I make practice swings for a few minutes, focusing on rotation and plane until the body feels completely activated. Then I’ll start hitting balls - knock-down draws, followed by high fades.

Compared to a wedge, putting a poor swing on a 4-iron gives me crystal clear feedback on what I’m potentially doing wrong. And for me, nauseating long iron clankers, provide the kind of encouragement that makes it much easier to ignore feel (a fluid notion day-to-day) and make appropriate physical adjustments immediately.

In contrast, if I’m halfway through a big bucket working my way up from wedges to long irons, tempo and positions are basically set for the day. And at that point, any flaws that begin to present with the less forgiving clubs are much harder to correct with ~50 swings already under my belt. Some days (bad), I’ll hit nothing but 4-iron and others (good) I’m comfortable jumping around the bag after a dozen balls.

To stay focused on every swing - I keep the bucket 10 feet away, only grab one ball at a time, and go through a full pre-shot routine.

Since adopting the formula outlined above, my practice sessions are more productive and pre-round warmups are much more instructive re: the swing I’m bringing to the first tee. Generally, the result is not only bringing a better swing to the course, but also being more mentally prepared for what I’m likely facing on any particular day.

I really like this approach, I do something pretty similar, except I warm up with 5-7 wedges then jump to my 2 iron. I really think it is the best way improve ball striking and accuracy. If I want to work on distance control, I'd rather hit wedges, and short irons. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock