Our Sponsors

I may have missed it but I am surprised that no one has said that they work on a specific shot that they struggled with on prior round. Nicklaus used to go directly to the range after his round and work specifically on a shot he missed or didn't execute properly during his round. 

• Like 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I start with 1/4 58* shots then 1/2 3/4 finish with full 58* shots. That’s just to get warmed up. Then it’s 7 iron, hybrid, driver. Driver is to figure out what “shot” I’m going to be playing that day, could be a fade, draw, or the lovely straight ball. Then it’s 4 balls with driver to hit a high fade for one specific hole (#3 at my course). 5 minutes of putting, then 5 minutes of chipping. Pretty simple for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

CobraConnectChallenge3

5 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I may have missed it but I am surprised that no one has said that they work on a specific shot that they struggled with on prior round. Nicklaus used to go directly to the range after his round and work specifically on a shot he missed or didn't execute properly during his round. 

Nicklaus had one shot that he didn't execute properly during a round.  I usually have at least one with every club I used during my round.  LOL!  I wouldn't know where to begin.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I hit balls before a round, I just hit small bucket. 8i, to wedges, metals, to mid tgen back to wedges. Chip and putt to get speed down. 

Strictly range I go wirh a plan and usually leave bag in truck and just take specifics clubs to work on.  Migt be metals and hybrids, long irons, mid irons, or short iron. One range sessin last monrh it was really windy so I worked a low punch shots and keeping the ball down. 

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I start with a small bucket (27 balls). After warming up with my PW, I go to 7i or 6i, then driver. Then I generally alternate shots with the remaining balls, e.g. driver, 3h, wedge. However, if I had bad round previously I will work on my long irons (usually the culprit!). Then I move to the practice green or bunker and work through the 40+ balls in my shag bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wow big question.

Short game is normally twice a week and random - too three balls, grab putter and wedge and have to get them up and down fro where they lie.

Range is totally different - it depends what I’m working on. Right now it’s gapping. :)

So I do my dynamic warm up and start with pitching wedge until I’m loose - once I am I grab the swing caddie and hit 3 shots with each club through driver - then hit a dozen or so random shots- driver - 7 iron - 5 wood - 9 iron - that sort of thing -

Then gap wedge at a couple of different targets and 60 as well to finish.

I try to do that twice a week too

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I try to incorporate the same warmups that I did from the lessons I was taking in the spring, all about getting the feel ( if that makes sense of the proper set up, take away and finish)

the first 5 shots I always hit are with the 56 degree, I stand with my feet together ball in middle of stance  and just like a pendulum back and forth focusing on club location on the back swing , square at impact and the turn to finish position. If all 5 go straight and airborne , I hit 3 more from my full stance , the only catch as I struggle with not having active feet and tend to stay planted is on my back swing I lift my front foot up just slightly to get the feeling of moving , again if I get 3 good shots I move on.  If I struggle there is a 3rd drill I was shown and its same as the first one except on the back swing you pick up your front foot step back to the back foot and on the down swing your front foot also moves forward. all about trying to get my feet moving to generate power.

I usually take 10-12 shots total , might go back to the first one at the end for a couple just to get that feeling again of proper swing .

I then work my way through the bag  wedges I hit 3 half swing 3 full swing shots (56,52,pw)

rest of my irons 3 full shots each ( 4-9 iron)

Now the hybrid/fairway portion of my bag has been a work in progress, I have added in my 4,5 iron as I started struggling to hit fair way wood and have been very happy with my irons.  I currently use a king cobra 3/4 hybrid and I will hit 5 shots with it then move to driver where I will also hit 5 drives.

I then move to the chipping area and will practice the 7 and 9 iron bump and runs 5 each,  I struggle somewhat with wedges close to the green and find a bump and run works best.

I will hit 3 or 4 sand shots just to get the feel of the required effort to get out of the traps if its been raining , very dry sort of thing.

Last the putting green and I will hit 15-18 putts ,  usually starting from 3' to 6' to 10' then I will take aim at the furthest away hole up hill then down hill just to see effort required to get close.

I have seen some improvement in my game and swing this year so far, still working and always tinkering but I have found this works for me.

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I like to start each range session with wedge shots starting at half swings moving to 3/4 then dialed back full, then nuke a couple Haha. I then go to my 8 iron and hit a couple dialed back shots. Then on to 2 iron and hit a few solid strikes. Follow that with 3wood off a tee and then a few driver shots. I like ending the session with some feel wedge shots for specific distances now that the body is fully warm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Several years ago, I recognized a tendency in my practice sessions. Specifically, if I began by reaching for wrenches on the forgiving end of the bag, relatively bad swings still net reasonable results. And every poor swing with acceptable results inevitably reinforces feel in the negative. So I decided to adopt Freddie’s approach and start grabbing the 4-iron straight away. I make practice swings for a few minutes, focusing on rotation and plane until the body feels completely activated. Then I’ll start hitting balls - knock-down draws, followed by high fades.

Compared to a wedge, putting a poor swing on a 4-iron gives me crystal clear feedback on what I’m potentially doing wrong. And for me, nauseating long iron clankers, provide the kind of encouragement that makes it much easier to ignore feel (a fluid notion day-to-day) and make appropriate physical adjustments immediately.

In contrast, if I’m halfway through a big bucket working my way up from wedges to long irons, tempo and positions are basically set for the day. And at that point, any flaws that begin to present with the less forgiving clubs are much harder to correct with ~50 swings already under my belt. Some days (bad), I’ll hit nothing but 4-iron and others (good) I’m comfortable jumping around the bag after a dozen balls.

To stay focused on every swing - I keep the bucket 10 feet away, only grab one ball at a time, and go through a full pre-shot routine.

Since adopting the formula outlined above, my practice sessions are more productive and pre-round warmups are much more instructive re: the swing I’m bringing to the first tee. Generally, the result is not only bringing a better swing to the course, but also being more mentally prepared for what I’m likely facing on any particular day.

• Like 1

:ping-small:___________G400 LST 9* - Ping Tour 65 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:adams-small:_Super Proto DHY 21* - Matrix Ozik Altus hX3 S
:adams-small: _Idea MB2 4-PW - Matrix Program 130 6.5
:cleveland-small:_________RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
Bettinardi.png.e7ca0ee7ba785611a4a144e16b6b93ab.png___SS38 Armlock
k_sig.jpg.00b599e7e823c61015277de38ca16982.jpg___'18 4-piece
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

6 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Several years ago, I recognized a tendency in my practice sessions.  Specifically, if I began by reaching for wrenches on the forgiving end of the bag, relatively bad swings still net reasonable results. And every poor swing with acceptable results inevitably reinforces feel in the negative. So I decided to adopt Freddie’s approach and start grabbing the 4-iron straight away. I make practice swings for a few minutes, focusing on rotation and plane until the body feels completely activated. Then I’ll start hitting balls - knock-down draws, followed by high fades.

Compared to a wedge, putting a poor swing on a 4-iron gives me crystal clear feedback on what I’m potentially doing wrong. And for me, nauseating long iron clankers, provide the kind of encouragement that makes it much easier to ignore feel (a fluid notion day-to-day) and make appropriate physical adjustments immediately.

In contrast, if I’m halfway through a big bucket working my way up from wedges to long irons, tempo and positions are basically set for the day. And at that point, any flaws that begin to present with the less forgiving clubs are much harder to correct with ~50 swings already under my belt. Some days (bad), I’ll hit nothing but 4-iron and others (good) I’m comfortable jumping around the bag after a dozen balls.

To stay focused on every swing - I keep the bucket 10 feet away, only grab one ball at a time, and go through a full pre-shot routine.

Since adopting the formula outlined above, my practice sessions are more productive and pre-round warmups are much more instructive re: the swing I’m bringing to the first tee. Generally, the result is not only bringing a better swing to the course, but also being more mentally prepared for what I’m likely facing on any particular day.

I really like this approach, I do something pretty similar, except I warm up with 5-7 wedges then jump to my 2 iron. I really think it is the best way improve ball striking and accuracy. If I want to work on distance control, I'd rather hit wedges, and short irons. 

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

After a quick stretch, I usually start with PW to work the kinks out. A few 1/2, 3/4 then full shots. Then I go 8i for 5, 6i for 5, 7w, 3w & finally driver. Then back down the bag hitting al the odd-numbered clubs for a few shots. Then I'll usually grab the 9i or PW (sometimes 8i) again and start trying to pepper a certain target. Then off to the putting green.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers