Jump to content
GolfSpy Stroker

Steve Stricker just broke my heart...

Recommended Posts

Here I am thinking that I need to replace my clubs every few years and Steve Stricker wins a MAJOR using decades old clubs....

what is the club ho in me to do now ?!?!?!¬†ūüė•

Winner’s bag: Steve Stricker’s equipment at the U.S. Senior Open

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
Driver: Titleist 913D3, 8.5 degrees
3-wood: Titleist 915F, 13.5 degrees
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 17 degrees
Irons (3-PW): Titleist 755 Forged
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 (54 degrees); Titleist Vokey SM4 (60 degrees)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2

His Titleist 755 Forged irons go back to 2006 when Stricker first put them in play at the Shell Houston Open. 
His Titleist 913D3 driver was introduced in fall 2012 and the 915 fairway wood two years later. 
His Odyssey White Hot 2 putter that he has used for the majority of the last 18 years.

 

Stricker1-1300-Wall.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just goes to show you that you dont need shiny need clubs to play well.  Stricker has always been someone who tends to not change clubs often.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to total up the cost....just for fun.
A dozen pro V's - new (I'm sure he only used half a dozen at most)
816 hybrid - new
All the other stuff was used... prices for irons from ebay; price for putter from 2nd swing; everything else from globalgolf....

This is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x                     47.99
Driver: Titleist 913D3, 8.5 degrees        99.99
3-wood: Titleist 915F, 13.5 degrees        89.99
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 17 degrees         199.00
Irons (3-PW): Titleist 755 Forged          119.99
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 (54 degrees)    54.99
Titleist Vokey SM4 (60 degrees)            19.99
Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2                59.99
                                         $691.93

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A dozen pro V's - new (I'm sure he only used half a dozen at most)


Only a half dozen for the round or the week? Pros probably switch to a new ball every 3 holes so it is probably close to 6 a round. I would guess close to 4 dozen for the week.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

 


Only a half dozen for the round or the week? Pros probably switch to a new ball every 3 holes so it is probably close to 6 a round. I would guess close to 4 dozen for the week.

 

OH!  I didn't know that they switched that frequently.... I was thinking he probably never lost one but occasionally he might switch one out.  That's interesting.  I wonder how many the caddies carry in the bag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

 


Only a half dozen for the round or the week? Pros probably switch to a new ball every 3 holes so it is probably close to 6 a round. I would guess close to 4 dozen for the week.

 

You're spot on.  One of my buddies who caddies out there has said, it's a very personal thing when guys change, some after a double bogey for example or a scuff mark.  But on average they go through 6 a round or so.   Again it varie a bit but most ball staff players will have 3 dozen in their locker at the beginning of the week. 

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

OH!  I didn't know that they switched that frequently.... I was thinking he probably never lost one but occasionally he might switch one out.  That's interesting.  I wonder how many the caddies carry in the bag?

Usually 6 to 8.   The 6 mentioned above and an extra one or two, just in case! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OH!  I didn't know that they switched that frequently.... I was thinking he probably never lost one but occasionally he might switch one out.  That's interesting.  I wonder how many the caddies carry in the bag?

They also give balls away. The volunteers that walk with them usually get an autographed ball and they occasionally give them to kids during the round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stenson also plays really old clubs!

and I believe Langer has a new ball every hole!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cnosil said:


They also give balls away. The volunteers that walk with them usually get an autographed ball and they occasionally give them to kids during the round.

Well the point of the thread is to figure out what it would cost for an amateur to purchase the clubs/balls he used.  I'm sure he gets as many balls as he wants for free - as well as the clubs - but I understand you were correcting the fact that I said he only used about 6.

Anyhow ... less than 700 dollars for an entire set to win a professional major must be some sort of record.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Decided to total up the cost....just for fun.
A dozen pro V's - new (I'm sure he only used half a dozen at most)
816 hybrid - new
All the other stuff was used... prices for irons from ebay; price for putter from 2nd swing; everything else from globalgolf....

This is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x                     47.99
Driver: Titleist 913D3, 8.5 degrees        99.99
3-wood: Titleist 915F, 13.5 degrees        89.99
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 17 degrees         199.00
Irons (3-PW): Titleist 755 Forged          119.99
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 (54 degrees)    54.99
Titleist Vokey SM4 (60 degrees)            19.99
Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2                59.99
                                         $691.93

I've seen plenty of good examples of the 755's when searching for irons on eBay the past few years - almost picked those over the 735's as my previous set.

What I find most curious about Stricker's bag is the SM6's. You would think those would see a ton of use and he'd be in the SM7 out of necessity by now. Must have a stockpile at his home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

 


Only a half dozen for the round or the week? Pros probably switch to a new ball every 3 holes so it is probably close to 6 a round. I would guess close to 4 dozen for the week.

 

I read somewhere recently they get 3-4 dozen each event from the oem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stricker just signed a putter-only deal with Odyssey.  Details have not been made public.

He's been playing his Odyssey White Hot 2 putter for 17 years.  Replaced the face insert and changed out the slightly bent shaft.  

I don't see him getting a new putter anytime soon!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Stricker just signed a putter-only deal with Odyssey.  Details have not been made public.

He's been playing his Odyssey White Hot 2 putter for 17 years.  Replaced the face insert and changed out the slightly bent shaft.  

I don't see him getting a new putter anytime soon!!!

ūüėā

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love watching Stricker play.  I'd say with the last two Senior majors, hosting the AmFam Championship, and his Ryder cup captaincy he's officially passed Andy North as Wisconsin's golf ambassador.

Interesting that he was only playing the 755s because of a shaft issue.  He was trying to switch to a new set of irons but the one-off prototype KBS shafts in his old set were bent when he (or someone in a tour van) took them out.  Kind of sucks for him that KBS no longer had the specs and couldn't just make him a new set.

If he was still playing 25 times a year on the PGA tour I'm sure he would have tested everything under the sun to find the closest match.  Now that he only plays a handful of tournaments he can take his time and do unusual things like play a set from 2006.  A healthy bank account also helps with those decisions.

avis-car-rentals-the-professionals-featuring-steve-stricker-large-9.jpg.051e136ec4157ad74fcde8874ff93de5.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Love watching Stricker play.  I'd say with the last two Senior majors, hosting the AmFam Championship, and his Ryder cup captaincy he's officially passed Andy North as Wisconsin's golf ambassador.

Interesting that he was only playing the 755s because of a shaft issue.  He was trying to switch to a new set of irons but the one-off prototype KBS shafts in his old set were bent when he (or someone in a tour van) took them out.  Kind of sucks for him that KBS no longer had the specs and couldn't just make him a new set.

If he was still playing 25 times a year on the PGA tour I'm sure he would have tested everything under the sun to find the closest match.  Now that he only plays a handful of tournaments he can take his time and do unusual things like play a set from 2006.  A healthy bank account also helps with those decisions.

avis-car-rentals-the-professionals-featuring-steve-stricker-large-9.jpg.051e136ec4157ad74fcde8874ff93de5.jpg

 

Micheal Breed talked a lot about him on his show this morning.  It was a really good segment.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He also just signed with Odyssey so we will see if he at least upgrades his putter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, golfinnut said:

He also just signed with Odyssey so we will see if he at least upgrades his putter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

If I were Stricker, I wouldn't want to upgrade; and If I were Odyssey, I wouldn't make him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Odyssey will release the same putter with a new name and graphics and sell for top dollar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Decided to total up the cost....just for fun.
A dozen pro V's - new (I'm sure he only used half a dozen at most)
816 hybrid - new
All the other stuff was used... prices for irons from ebay; price for putter from 2nd swing; everything else from globalgolf....

This is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x                     47.99
Driver: Titleist 913D3, 8.5 degrees        99.99
3-wood: Titleist 915F, 13.5 degrees        89.99
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1, 17 degrees         199.00
Irons (3-PW): Titleist 755 Forged          119.99
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 (54 degrees)    54.99
Titleist Vokey SM4 (60 degrees)            19.99
Putter: Odyssey White Hot 2                59.99
                                         $691.93

Maybe the greatest ROI on tour, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...