TESTERS WANTED! ×

Handicap and practice

Some of the recent threads and conversations with a couple of buddies I play with about some others in our regular group got me thinking about a some questions.

1) what is your hdcp?

2) how often do you play?

3) how often do you practice?

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?

5) how do you practice?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1) what is your hdcp?    9.4

2) how often do you play?   Two 18-hole rounds and three 9-hole rounds a week... normally

3) how often do you practice?   3-4 times a week

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?   Typically, 1-2 hours.  Only 20-30 balls on the range.

5) how do you practice?   Most time is spent in short-game area.  Pitch ~100 balls from various distances; 10 minutes for bunker work; chip around green from various lies for 20-30 minutes; putt for 30 minutes, maybe longer, starting with 3-4 footers with right hand only for 10 minutes, then a few 10 footers, then end with long lag putts from varying distances trying to get within 2 feet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2-3 times a week

Putting every day, and full swing every other day. 

Probably 2 hours putting inside every day, and 2 hours on the range every other day. I usually hit 80ish balls on the range and use the remaining time to practice chipping. 

Putting- I practice everything you could think of.

Full swing- I usually try do focus on consistent distances, and a consistent ball flight. 

Short game- Unless I'm working on something specific, I try to practice shots that I would find on the course. i.e. Various lies, different grass lengths, shortsided, bunker shots, chip and run, and flop shots.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Handicap is 8.3 according to the last revision on The Grint.

I usually play 1 round a week sometimes I manage to sneak in another round but never more than 2.

I rarely practice. Usually only hit the range if the courses around me are too wet for play. I do try to warm up on the range before a round if the course I’m playing has one.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

56 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

1) what is your hdcp? Currently 10.4

2) how often do you play? 1-2 times per week

3) how often do you practice? 3-4 times per week (even if it's just working on mechanics in my living room)

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit? Anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours and 0 to hundreds.

5) how do you practice? Between work, non-stop house projects, and family time, I squeeze in whatever practice I can. Like I said before, it might be working on mechanics in the living room after the kids are in bed, or it could be a full blown range session followed by chipping and putting or I may even go play 9 for practice - hitting multiple balls from a variety of lies and working on trajectory and spin control.

Taking advantage of any free time (regardless of how little it may be) has been an absolute difference maker in lowering my handicap over the past few years.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1) what is your hdcp?

Latest revision on The Grint puts me at 14.4. I don't record many rounds that are factored into that, however, since I play almost always by myself. I still think it's pretty accurate.

2) how often do you play?

This year is the most I've ever played. Typically a nine-hole round during the week in the morning, and I try to play a full 18 holes on Sunday mornings. So far this year I've played 10 nine-hole rounds and 10 18-hole rounds.

3) how often do you practice?

Typically, I can be found at the range 3-4 times a week.

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?

I'm fortunate to have a range in close proximity to my employer, so I go on lunch. I typically get about 45 minutes of practice in. Twice a week I am able to stretch that to 1 hour and 15 minutes if I want.

During the shorter sessions I hit one token's worth of balls, about 40? It's typically not busy (and I'm a member so I get unlimited tokens), so I will go pluck some out of the area immediately in front of the teeing area if I have time left. Maybe 50 range balls total.

On longer days I can hit two tokens worth as long as I keep a good rhythm going.

5) how do you practice?

I don't have a specific range routine. I have at least started only carrying 3-4 clubs with me so I don't get overwhelmed trying to go through the whole bag. I always have my driver, a mid iron and wedge. Today I had my driver, six iron, eight iron and 54 degree.

My biggest area of work this year has been with ball striking, so most days I'm making sure my setup is good and then trying to find a rhythm. I can go through balls pretty quickly, but I'm usually focusing on one specific thing.

I also carry a shag tube with 15 balls or so and will routinely hit the pitch and putt area. Some days that's all I do instead of hit balls. I probably should spend more time there, but I'm largely a "feel" putter, so sometimes more practice makes things worse.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

1) what is your hdcp? 13.2

2) how often do you play? Probably average somewhere between 9-18 a week.

3) how often do you practice? A range/short game session roughly once every other week.

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit? I typically chip/putt for about 30 minutes, and then hit either 60 or 100 balls. Probably takes about 1.5-2 hours total usually. 

5) how do you practice? I'm typically just trying to get consistent ball strikes, starting off with the chips and then up through the wedges and irons, then to the woods and driver. Then, if there's something specific I'm working on I'll take the next 30-60 balls to try to hammer that home; otherwise I'll do a simulated round where I'll take a tee shot, then play an approach to a target somewhere on the range.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

1) what is your hdcp? .3

2) how often do you play? 3-5 times a week

3) how often do you practice? Rarely. Hit balls prior to round to warm up. 

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit? If I do practice it is generally not in big bunches and just specific to one club or one move. Generally half a bucket of balls. I will hit multiple shots on the course if I am struggling with one in particular. 

5) how do you practice? I have practiced some in the past but mainly I have always struggled to take it from the range to the course so I am not a range rat. When I do practice it is usually the same. I will start with SW and hit to a target between 80-100 yards. Once I am at a 100 yards (full Swing) I will move up through the bag. Every club I pull I will start by trying to hit it at a 100 yard target. Gives me feel throughout the swing. I try to jump around aiming at different targets and hitting different shots. I also try to avoid just going short clubs to long clubs. Will vary which ones I hit at different times. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1) what is your hdcp? Haven't been tracking my scores in the Grint recently.  Was a 7; I think I am playing closer to a 9, but my golf league has me as a 6.6

2) how often do you play?  18 once a week and then 9 for my golf league about every other week.

3) how often do you practice?  Depends on what I am doing.  Generally I get to the course early before my round to practice short game.  I will practice putting in the evening maybe 3/4 times a week.    If I just took a lesson,  I will increase my practice to get more reps.  Will hang out after most wanted testing an hit some balls so that is once or twice a week depending on what is going on after my testing session.

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?  Depends.  Putting practice at home will be about 30 minutes to an hour.   Hour before the round I will work on my short game.    Putting practice:  100-200 putts.   Short game: 30-75 before my round.   If I am working on something from a lesson,  it will be about an hour and 40ish balls.   I did spend 3 hours at the range after my lesson this past weekend and probably hit 300+ balls.   Full swing will be if I have time after most wanted testing so I will hit another 30+ balls

5) how do you practice?  Short game:  contact has been poor so practice has been focussed on hitting center and low on the face.   After this past weekend if things continue,  focus will switch to distance control.   Putting practice is about startline so I setup a gate for 1* to 0.5* of accuracy and roll the ball through the gates with various length strokes.  Long game:  focus on dispersion control to enable hitting more greens.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

USGA Handicap index is 3.4

If I'm not working on a construction site, I play 18 on Saturday and Sunday, 9 on Tuesday

A normal week I practice on Wednesday and Thursday

I typically practice for 40 minutes or so.  I go inside and get a beer, and sip it slowly.  When its gone, I'm done.  I'm not sure how many balls I hit, maybe 50 or 60.  I try to give each one my full attention.  If I'm not really paying attention, practicing with a specific purpose, it becomes exercise, and who wants to do THAT?

I practice almost entirely on full swing.  I made some changes a couple of years ago, and I continue to try to reinforce those changes, along with a couple of more recent refinements.  I do some slow practice motions, some exaggerated practice swings, and then a real swing trying to have the same feel.  I really should take some video to confirm I'm doing that I intend, but I'm a bit lazy that way.  

I also warm up for maybe 30 minutes before I play most days.  That's when I might squeeze in some short-game practice.  My putting is decent, I rarely work on it beyond a pre-round warm up.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

3) how often do you practice?  Depends on what I am doing.  Generally I get to the course early before my round to practice short game.  I will practice putting in the evening maybe 3/4 times a week.    If I just took a lesson,  I will increase my practice to get more reps.  Will hang out after most wanted testing an hit some balls so that is once or twice a week depending on what is going on after my testing session.

I never practice putting in the evening.  Our greens are Poa, and grow quite a lot (and unevenly) during the day.  They are much slower and bumpy.  

I play Sat, Sun and Mon in the morning and the greens are smooth and quick.  When my wife and I play Thu and Fri evenings after she gets off work, they are much slower.  I never putt well in the evenings, probably because I don't practice putting late in the day. LOL

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I never practice putting in the evening.  Our greens are Poa, and grow quite a lot (and unevenly) during the day.  They are much slower and bumpy.  

I practice indoors while watching TV. No problems with the grass there. Only need a couple of feet since I only work on startline/face control.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1) what is your hdcp?   4

2) how often do you play?  1-2 times a week (18 hole rounds plus maybe a drunken scramble)

3) how often do you practice?  What's "practice" ?

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?  If I have time I'll hit 5-10 balls to warm up, if I don't I get a drink

5) how do you practice?  I just try to play more

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

3 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

1) what is your hdcp?   4

2) how often do you play?  1-2 times a week (18 hole rounds plus maybe a drunken scramble)

3) how often do you practice?  What's "practice" ?

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?  If I have time I'll hit 5-10 balls to warm up, if I don't I get a drink

5) how do you practice?  I just try to play more

Amazing!  Great job being a 4 with that practice schedule!!  I wish I could do that, but I would be a bogey+ golfer.  Maybe one of these days I will decide that's OK.

1) what is your hdcp? 11.3

2) how often do you play? At least 27 holes a week. 

3) how often do you practice? One range session a week along with the 9 I play that I use a practice round. 

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit? At the range I'm usually there at least an hour and hit around 60 to 120 balls. 

5) how do you practice? I either use the '3 ball' method and work through my bag hitting three shots at specific targets or I'll play a practice round hitting from driver/FW/hybrid to wedge on my imaginary home course. And if I'm trying to work out a specific technique issue, I'll usually just hammer away at it in the 6-9 club range. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1) what is your hdcp? 5

2) how often do you play? once or maybe twice week

3) how often do you practice? rarely 

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit? 0 minutes and 0 balls

5) how do you practice? I haven't been practicing. So It's usually about a 40 minute warm up before a round.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My index is 10.6. I usually play twice a week and I've just started practicing twice a week. My sessions last an hour and a half. I start on the range and work with odd numbered clubs one day and even numbered the second day for thirty minutes. I then go to our short game area to chip and pitch for thirty minutes. I finish on the putting green with thirty minutes of putts from various distances. Since starting this practice regime three weeks ago, I've noticed an immediate improvement in my scores. My golf hero was right "the answer is in the dirt".

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

• 2 weeks later...

1) what is your hdcp?   5.3

2) how often do you play?   3-5 times per week

3) how often do you practice?  3-4 times per week

4) how long is your practice and how many balls do you hit?  about an hour ..30 or so golf balls

5) how do you practice.\?  Full warm up swinging an orange whip, then 9 iron shots (10), 5 iron shots (5-10) and Driver to finish.  Then I spend 15-20 minutes chipping and pitching..low spinning chips and lob pitches.  Putting green for 10-15 minutes (half short putts and half lags) and bunkers for 5.  If I am working on something specific I add that time to this routine, so practice can take up to an hour and a half

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

1. +4.8
2. 2-3 x's per week
3. I'm practicing something everyday - the what and for how long varies. Even if I'm doing drills with the Orange Whip, I'm doing something golf related at least 6 days a week for at least 30 mins or so.
4. I rarely hit balls - typically only if I'm working on a problem area, trying a new club or warming up prior to a round. When I do hit balls - it's a small bucket generally.
5. When warming up - I start with lob wedge hitting 50 yard shots and then go through every other iron, 2 Crossover, 3 wood and driver and then back to wedges. I practice putting a few times a week and chipping 3-4 nights a week and full swings most every day. I don't hit balls - but I work on a few drills to keep my swing sharp. Since back surgeries - I can't handle much and I'd rather play than practice. There are many times where I play with no warm-up at all. If it's an important round - I don't do that but most of mine aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer