TESTERS WANTED! ×

Matte Ball vs Lacquer Finish Roll

I use the Callaway Superhot Red Matte ball, as I have trouble following white balls over 100 yards. My putting is constantly a few rolls short of the hole, and I'm wondering if the matte balls tend to create a greater friction with the grass over the lacquer finish ball when putting. Matte balls have a "dry" feel as opposed to the slick feel from a lacquer finish.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I'm actually interested in this as well. I've thought that the matte finish feels "sticky" and wondered if that affected putting speed, or even possibly aerodynamics. I've never really played a matte finish ball for more than a few holes so I don't have any firsthand experience. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see MGS compare matte to lacquer golf balls, especially the roll on the green.

Certified Club Fitter.

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Not so sure this type of test will reveal much or anything of significance. HDTVMAN... why not just use a non-matt finish colored ball of your choice and see if you no longer leave putts short? Did you not leave putts short prior to using a matt finish ball? I suspect it's the Indian and not the arrow. I tend to not leave putts short. Would a matt finish ball produce more made putts? I don't think so. Would a ball that's been played for 9 holes find less fairways or GIR? What about a ball that has a slight grass stain? Would it roll off-line more than one that doesn't? My suggestion would be to run your own experiment and report back to everyone. Personally, I've thought many times that a new white urethane cover ball had a very slight "sticky" feel to it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 1 month later...

Asked Callaway and they had no idea, but would check it out. Just switched from a Bettinardi QB6 to an Odyssey White Hot XG #8, which seems to have a "hotter face" than the QB6...will see what happens. Also waiting to hear back from Callaway.

Certified Club Fitter.

PING Pioneer Cart Bag