TESTERS WANTED! ×

Caddie Steve Williams says he's mad at Tiger Woods for affairs

Moecat

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1969598,00.html

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Tiger Woods' caddie said he knew nothing about the golfer's extramarital affairs and was angry with him over the scandal.

Steve Williams told TV3's "60 Minutes" program Wednesday that he also is bitter at the reaction toward him from the media and members of the public.

"It's been the most difficult time of my life, no two ways about it, because every single person believed that I should know or did know or had something to do with it," Williams said. "I knew nothing, that's my answer. I don't have to clarify or extend that answer, I knew nothing."

The New Zealander, who has been Woods' caddie for 11 years, said he would have spoken up if he had known about the player's behavior.

"If the shoe was on someone else, I would say the same thing. It would be very difficult as a caddie not to know but I'm 100 percent telling you, I did not know, and that's that," he said. "I'm a straight-up sort of person. If I had known something was going on, the whistle would have been blown."

Williams said he was angry when revelations about Woods' private life emerged, but had not berated the player because he felt he needed a friend.

"Of course I'm mad at him, why would you not be?" Williams said. "I'm close with his wife and he's got two lovely children and he's let them down.

"When a guy's having a tough time, it's not up to me to beat him with a stick right now. He's getting enough grilling from everybody else.

"When you're a true friend of somebody, that's when somebody needs your support and need you the most. That's when you don't walk away. Tiger's one of my closest friends and he needs my support right now and I'd never think of walking away."

Williams said the two haven't discussed the scandal.

"When I talk to him, I don't talk to him about what's happened," Williams said. "I talk to him about the future and about what we're going to try to accomplish and how we're going to get over it."

Williams said Woods recently hit balls on the practice range, but would not return to golf until he felt he was in top form.

Williams said he had personally tried to concentrate on his charity work and auto racing interests to avoid thinking about the controversy around Woods.

"Every week I try to focus on something to keep my mind off it," Williams said. "You try to deal with it as best you can but in some peoples' perception, I'm involved in it, I've committed a crime, I've done wrong or whatever it may be."

• SPY VIP

Collateral damage. How could he not know? I am not going to be silly and say that he is lying or anything, but there had to be strange signs that something was amiss.

Although, Tiger may just have some weird habits off the course so the other stuff blended in. Hopefully Steve has banked some of his Tiger-won cash over the years.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't mind saying I think he's a liar... he's sticking up for his boy... now some of the news stations are saying he could be fired for this... I wouldn't be surprised if Tiger is telling him what to say...

And in the long run I don't really care... I want to see Tiger back out on the course kicking ass with Stevie at his side...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I agree, I find it very, very hard to believe he wouldn't know, suspect. Maybe Tiger will fire him, and get a more crowd friendly guy on the bag to help improve his image!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Let's see.....

- there were the released staged photos

- there was the so-called press conference

- there was the article from his college gf talking about what a good guy he was

- there was the article from Jack talking about him back for The Masters

- now the article about Stevie being upset

- now the article about Elin moving back in

Yep....a media campaign/reclamation project has begun.

I am not going to call him a liar as I don't know how often they are together off the course and obviously that is where all the "transgressions" occurred, but you would have to think there were some signs that made Stevie wonder if something was up.

I really doubt Tiger fires him over this. I don't think he said anything that was out of line by any means.

I am not going to call him a liar as I don't know how often they are together off the course and obviously that is where all the "transgressions" occurred, but you would have to think there were some signs that made Stevie wonder if something was up.

I really doubt Tiger fires him over this. I don't think he said anything that was out of line by any means.

Yep, heard his interview and it was quite bland and watered down. He was mad only because he of course knew Elin and had a good relationship with her and their family. Who wouldn't say that.. What else is Steve going to stay... "Yo Tiger, I ain't mad at'cha boy.. got nuthin' but love for ya boy.. go 'head and do you thang." Steve's not 2Pac.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• SPY VIP

Good point. If I was Stevie I'd be mad that I was missing pay days.

Don't feel too bad for Stevie. I just found the back issue of GD that has an interview with him. Sounds like his financial situation is well at hand.

What would be/is sad though is that he seems to really enjoy working as a tour caddy. That experience is gone until Tiger-gate finishes.

Volvo Intorqueo

Don't feel too bad for Stevie. I just found the back issue of GD that has an interview with him. Sounds like his financial situation is well at hand.

What would be/is sad though is that he seems to really enjoy working as a tour caddy. That experience is gone until Tiger-gate finishes.

Oh man, if Tiger and Steve split, Steve would have a phone call in minutes for a new player, I'm sure a high caliber type player as well. And Steve's I'm sure isn't hurting for $$$$, even being sponsored by Valvoline.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Williams must be the most naive person ever. People talk, stuff happens. And from the sounds of it from people I know who work with Tour players, this was pretty well known way before the story broke.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Well the same could be said for Tiger's wife as well then. If Stevie should know if Tiger was doing all this stuff then shouldn't someone even closer know? Well? I just don't get why people act like everyone should know everything about everyone they know. Do you know every minute detail of all your best buddies. We (people in general) would probably be shocked if we knew half of what some people we know hide... then they get caught and it's like damn how come I didn't notice he was doing whatever.... just my take sometimes you really don't know all you think you know about people!

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Elin may have known. But I think it's more plausible that she wouldn't know and Williams would. Tiger was trying to keep those secrets away from his wife. I've been in situations before where a friend is cheating on his wife/girlfriend but I can't say anything because it's really not my position to say.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I'd be mad too if I knew him personally. Not to mention Stevie doesn't get paid when Tiger doesn't play.

Are you sure?

I think he gets a fixed monthly salary + bonuses when tiger plays or wins. I think I read that somewhere.

Anyway, I think he's lying. There is absolutely no way he couldn't have known. Heck, I think Stevie might have done the job of Tiger's pimp and brought him the whores himself. Think of it as his sexual life manager. LOL!

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

Williams is right about one thing - you find out who your friends really are when times are tough. True friends will give it to you straight, but still be supportive (especially to outsiders).

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Plus the guy is a real jack ass, lets not forget that part.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Plus the guy is a real jack ass, lets not forget that part.

Why you hatin' J?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

see he says he feels like he doesnt know him

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

• SPY VIP

Stevie also needs some damage control. Say Tiger is out of golf, Stevie will still need to loop for someone. Officially he denies knowledge to look good in the press. Players will know that he probably knew and kept his mouth shut to protect Tiger. The tattle-tale caddy probably would not get another bag.

Volvo Intorqueo

That's true, it's hard to be too mad when you make what he makes.

Archived