Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

$5000 golf sets. With a 10 cent golf game

Big money

Played with a buddy today who always has those top of the line stocked golf bag. But has a game that never utilizes that high dollar equipment. He will slice - hook - dub on command. But all his equipment is custom fit and looks spectacular. I’m also one who can’t say as much. As my equipment is all set for my game and I can hack it up very bad as well 

So my question is. What is more important the game you play. Or having the equipment designed for you ?

Keep it in the short stuff

Depends on what you find enjoyment in I guess. Some people just like shiny things, and other people don't care how the tool looks as long as it gets the job done. Personally, I'm probably somewhere in-between, but at the end of the day my game is absolutely more important than what clubs I play with.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

51 minutes ago, Big money said:

So my question is. What is more important the game you play. Or having the equipment designed for you ?

Most important to me is my end of round score. The lower the better. I have all custom fit and built equipment (except driver - self-fit). That's important also as I believe it helps me score better.

As for other golfers I don't care one wit what equipment they play or how much they've spent.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

People can do whatever they want and as Jluke’s said people get enjoyment in different ways.

As for how a player performs, there are a lot of factors but perfectly fit high dollar clubs does not mean you will break 100; poorly fit irons does not mean you can achieve becoming a scratch golfer. As for the comment on Ben Hogan, he built a swing around his clubs which is one way to play, but you need some level of talent to be really successful with this approach.

Fitting is ultimately a combination of technique and equipment. I think golfspy_cg2s fitting at TXG illustrates this point. From doing most wanted testing I know there are clubs that I just can’t hit without significantly changing technique. From my lesson this past weekend, all the equipment changes in the world would not have fixed my technique issue. But fixing my technique has probably made it easier for me to be effective with misfit clubs.

Golf is about having fun and people accomplish fun in different ways.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It’s more important to have fun. How each golfer accomplishes that is completely up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 hours ago, Big money said:

Played with a buddy today who always has those top of the line stocked golf bag. But has a game that never utilizes that high dollar equipment. He will slice - hook - dub on command. But all his equipment is custom fit and looks spectacular. I’m also one who can’t say as much. As my equipment is all set for my game and I can hack it up very bad as well 

They're interrelated for me. Do I need expensive equipment - nope but i do need equipment that works for me. As to those that want to buy the most expensive  - that's fine with me as long as I don't have to pay for it.  BTW how does that Bag add up to $5K? . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Whatever way one chooses to enjoy the game is fine by me. If it’s high dollar gear and play bad but they still have a great time while golfing then go for it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

They're interrelated for me. Do I need expensive equipment - nope but i do need equipment that works for me. As to those that want to buy the most expensive  - that's fine with me as long as I don't have to pay for it.  BTW how does that Bag add up to $5K? . 

PXG irons and custom Calloway woods. Not a shabby set for hackers like me and him.. I’m super jealous . But it reality they hook and slice just like the rest of them for most of us 

Edited by Big money

Keep it in the short stuff

On 7/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, tony@CIC said:

BTW how does that Bag add up to $5K? . 

Not sure if serious?  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:13 AM, jlukes said:

Let everyone enjoy golf in their own way.  For some people that means playing their best, for others it means having new equipment, and for others it just means having fun regardless of what you shoot or what clubs you have.

This has to be one of the best statements uttered anywhere on these forums. 

To answer the OP's original question, for me it is just getting out there and playing the game.  The process of playing a round of golf and the various shots you play on just one hole is the fun in it for me.  There is also the added benefit of walking the course which is a form of exercise I actually enjoy.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, Big money said:

Playing golf and obsessing over equipment are two different activities taking place concurrently.

People of means who are gearheads by nature are going to want very specific equipment whether it actually impacts the quality of their game or not.  There's nothing wrong with this.  Boutique golf shops depend on this for their survival. 

Cars are similar.  They're transportation for everybody, but for some people, they're mechanical art as well.  It's a self- indulgence somebody of means can make.