Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do you do YOUR gap test?

I do it by getting selected for a MGS long game fitting and gapping test.

Getting fit by for gapping does wonders - that gapping looks beautiful on shot scope straight through the bag now - a little skewed a 9 wood yet but that will even out. (If you saw my review you know I hit one 203 when my normal is 168).

I do occasional checks on the range with SwingCaddy - 5 balls each club. It took a while to figure out which wood setting best approximates my woods but I’ve got it now.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the grave☠️😅 I've been noodling around in my head how I might get some better carry/gapping numbers through my bag before the season starts. I'm pretty sure I'll be renting some time on a simulator in town and I'll get 5-10 shots with each club to average out. If I have the time I'd like to also get some info on a "3/4" feel swing I like to do especially with my shorter irons, but I'm not sure how many swing variations I'll be able to squeeze into the rental time.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

5 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Bringing this thread back from the grave☠️😅 I've been noodling around in my head how I might get some better carry/gapping numbers through my bag before the season starts. I'm pretty sure I'll be renting some time on a simulator in town and I'll get 5-10 shots with each club to average out. If I have the time I'd like to also get some info on a "3/4" feel swing I like to do especially with my shorter irons, but I'm not sure how many swing variations I'll be able to squeeze into the rental time.

I was lucky enough to get in on a PGASS membership in which I was able to get free use of the sim for a year. That will definitely help with this but I'd much rather do it outside. Thankfully I still have my Rapsodo sitting in a box waiting to for spring so that I can open it!

I'll be trying to get "half club" distances.... like when I'm between clubs and need an 8-and-half instead of a full 7.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

14 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I was lucky enough to get in on a PGASS membership in which I was able to get free use of the sim for a year. That will definitely help with this but I'd much rather do it outside. Thankfully I still have my Rapsodo sitting in a box waiting to for spring so that I can open it!

I'll be trying to get "half club" distances.... like when I'm between clubs and need an 8-and-half instead of a full 7.

I'm jealous, especially during the winter months!! Have you felt like your simulator numbers have been somewhat close to what you've seen on the course, or do you feel like you need to make some adjustments when you're doing the real deal?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

3 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I'm jealous, especially during the winter months!! Have you felt like your simulator numbers have been somewhat close to what you've seen on the course, or do you feel like you need to make some adjustments when you're doing the real deal?

well, with the sim you've got a "perfect" lie which I don't always have on course. HAHA.
But, for the most part, the sim distances are pretty accurate as compared to what I've seen on course.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 3 months later...

I spent $40 for an hour on trackman, hit about 5 shots per club. Noticed my 3i and 4i go the same distance. Gapping seems like a trial and error thing to me in my experience. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I use my on course and range sessions to see what my average distance is. Practice sessions on course with multiple balls from certain distance.

When I get fit for a wood or hybrid I find what fits a gap I need based on the courses I play and what I normally see as a need.

Paying a good fitter who offers bag gapping is the way I would go if I wanted to dive deeper into my setup

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On the real golf course, with familiar terrain.  

All the tech gadgets will assist in helping to shorten the journey, but the end purpose stays the same.  Has to be applied where the results will be implemented.  It is not just one and only, it'll be the best to utilize both the tech method to quantify and narrow the search , with the implication into where the application will happen.  The numbers from the spreadsheet is a great tool, only if we could include the application, which nothing on the market can do at this moment.

I'd use whatever device you prefer to get the initial "gap" from each iron under the assumed condition to get the base for starting.  Refine it on the golf course through playing.  One set of numbers will have different meaning to different golfers.  With two golfers having the same total distance from their 5 irons, but one achieve it with 93% carrying distance and one achieved it with 70% carrying distance... you'd bet it'll make a more significant difference on the golf course.

Unfortunately, there is no constant in this game.  One might carry his 5 iron 170 today with a sharp descending angle, tomorrow the numbers might be a little different.  Hence why we have the stroke tournament running 4 days.

6 minutes ago, release said:

With two golfers having the same total distance from their 5 irons, but one achieve it with 93% carrying distance and one achieved it with 70% carrying distance... you'd bet it'll make a more significant difference on the golf course.

Gapping and playing should be done looking at carry distance too much inconsistency in rollout.  In you example they hit their 5 irons 2 completely different distances.   I carry distances can be done on the course but it is much harder than using technology assistance 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Gapping and playing should be done looking at carry distance too much inconsistency in rollout.  In you example they hit their 5 irons 2 completely different distances.   I carry distances can be done on the course but it is much harder than using technology assistance 

Actually one player has a low trajectory ( he is 5'3" ) hits everything with a flat swing plane. his 5 iron can carry 145-150 and runs out to 165-170 total.  The other golfer is average sized and hits everything with a high trajectory, his 5 iron will probably move 5 yards if less to total 170-175.  

How does a tech device measure and quantify these two ?

Figured in elevated target or the opposite ?  Condition of the fairway ....... ?  No device can account for the playing condition.  

Like I said, the technology is a great "starting point", golfers need to acquire and assess their own game after the initial start.

If any golfer depending on the technology to guide them through this game, then, good luck, not that it won't work for everyone.  For those believing the technology is the total answer. perhaps.  It should work in their minds , for awhile anyway.

There is, no boxed solution from technology, alone.  This game is played with golfer's physical ability and mental readiness.

38 minutes ago, release said:

Actually one player has a low trajectory ( he is 5'3" ) hits everything with a flat swing plane. his 5 iron can carry 145-150 and runs out to 165-170 total.  The other golfer is average sized and hits everything with a high trajectory, his 5 iron will probably move 5 yards if less to total 170-175.  

How does a tech device measure and quantify these two ?

Figured in elevated target or the opposite ?  Condition of the fairway ....... ?  No device can account for the playing condition.  

Like I said, the technology is a great "starting point", golfers need to acquire and assess their own game after the initial start.

If any golfer depending on the technology to guide them through this game, then, good luck, not that it won't work for everyone.  For those believing the technology is the total answer. perhaps.  It should work in their minds , for awhile anyway.

There is, no boxed solution from technology, alone.  This game is played with golfer's physical ability and mental readiness.

Don’t disagree that their is a single solution and experience plays a huge part.  I don’t thing anyone disagrees with that technology is the only thing needed.  Just course play isn’t everything either.  launch monitors can accurately measure those distances and rollouts.  They have the ability to be setup with different fairway and green harnesses, wind, elevation, and other conditions.   It can also keep electronic records on your shots you can avoid the manual approach of tracking you distances and how far offline a shot goes.  

for example i have a putting simulator that replicates green speed and slopes.  It is extremely accurate in recording how far the ball will roll and break.   It has replaced my need to go to the course to work on distance control.  True it can’t replace the visual aspect of seeing a hole some distance away, but it is a technological solution that can make you a better putter.   

to gap my clubs I can go to the course and hit balls and guesstimate the rollout so I know if the ball is carrying 145 or 170.   Or I can use a launch monitor and assess how far the ball is traveling based on either camera or radar technology.  

Technology has become part of golf and it is another tool in the golfers belt.  You can choose to use the tools or you can choose to not use the tools.   An open fire cooks just as well as an oven, but the oven makes it a little easier.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Technology has become part of golf and it is another tool in the golfers belt.  You can choose to use the tools or you can choose to not use the tools.   An open fire cooks just as well as an oven, but the oven makes it a little easier.

Of course.  Totally agree.

Technology can cut down the chase and start the process off much much faster.  But, as you said, it is a tool !

How one uses a tool will produce very different outcome.

All the things we do is for what ?  The very end is to implementing the tech and numbers and this and that to the play on the golf course.  Technology, today, is not perfect for his measurement.

It provided superior static measurements.  Bar none.  It can't adjust to the human factors, not just yet.

Remember the beginning of the "personal computer " ?   I was urged to use one because it will organize everything for me and make things much simpler.  However, before the apple proto type of windows and mouse, it was really unfriendly for the users.  I looked at the all the schooling of how to use a PC, gave up as it'll take up too much time to set up and get it going.  Faster using the old method than the clumsy way of command /input.   I use a personal device every day now just like most of us.

I'm not against the advancement of technology