Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day -#7

Love your tips, thanks for sharing! I definitely feel myself strain more as I go higher in the bag, and inconsistencies are always quick to follow. I'll have to give it a shot!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 3 weeks later...

I posted something about timing and tempo the other day. When the pressure is on I tend to lose my tempo/timing big time. I feel good on the backswing, but feel like I get really fast from the top and pull hook everything. Any tips on getting  things back on track mid round. Something I can tell myself or do during a practice swing to sort of reset. Thanks 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

2 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I posted something about timing and tempo the other day. When the pressure is on I tend to lose my tempo/timing big time. I feel good on the backswing, but feel like I get really fast from the top and pull hook everything. Any tips on getting  things back on track mid round. Something I can tell myself or do during a practice swing to sort of reset. Thanks 

... My favorite is stolen from Ernie Els. "Swing forward with the exact same speed you swing back".  Swinging forward with the same tempo for many seems way too slow, but remember impact is halfway in the downswing so the club head will be picking up speed as it makes contact with the ball. Admittedly most cannot match tempo going back and forward at the same speed but as long as you honesty try your best to do so, your tempo should be close to ideal. This works regardless of a fast or slow swing tempo and it works the same for Rickie Fowler as it does for Ernie. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... My favorite is stolen from Ernie Els. "Swing forward with the exact same speed you swing back".  Swinging forward with the same tempo for many seems way too slow, but remember impact is halfway in the downswing so the club head will be picking up speed as it makes contact with the ball. Admittedly most cannot match tempo going back and forward at the same speed but as long as you honesty try your best to do so, your tempo should be close to ideal. This works regardless of a fast or slow swing tempo and it works the same for Rickie Fowler as it does for Ernie. 

Thanks for the help. I will keep this in mind. It usually happens on hole 14-15 when I feel pressure to finish strong. I really feel like I am pressing really hard to have a good finish, and then I get all out of whack. This tip could be a good opportunity to focus on something else. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna have to give this a go this week.

Recently I came to the realization that i cant be flag hunting with the longer irons. 190+ out I need to aim for the center of green and more than anything think about just making solid contact. This could be a good addition to that thought process and hopefully help straighten out my longer irons. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Perhaps 20 years ago I began experimenting with lofts and lengths of clubs, so I could create a bag where I had even gaps between all my clubs. I created a matrix or spreadsheet where I could adjust the length or loft of a club and determine how far it should go based on the same swing input. (Yes, this totally ignores club head design, launch angles , etc., but it was the genesis of my current bag that seems to finally accomplish this.)

The base swing is a 52° 35.5” Gap Wedge and “my 100 yard” swing. I also have an “85 yard” and a “60 yard” swing. I could hit this club farther but didn’t have much control so that was the “base” swing and club.

The advantage of this is before the round all I have to do is “groove” the “100 yard swing”. Then all I have to make is 100 yard swings with different clubs. That swing with my 3 iron will go 210 yards and I can fade or draw and control the spin.

I mentioned the “85 yard swing”. This is my flag hunting swing. I also think of it as “3/4 swing” but it’s really more than that. I have a shorter backswing and stop when my lead arm is parallel with the ground and shoulders turned 3/4 and accelerate through the ball. My 33° 7 iron will go just 135 yards vs 158 but dead straight. This is the swing I use on most approach shots lately.

Similarly I have the “60 yard” or 1/2 swing. Same basic swing but stop the backswing club parallel with the ground and shoulders about 45°. I mainly use this with wedges but also when I need to flight down an approach shot or need more accuracy.

But my point here REALLY should be that I do not make the “110 yard swing.” Other than the set up differences, ball forward on the tee etc, I should still just make the 100 yard swing max with any club.

This point was driven home just yesterday morning. I was over-swinging and spraying the ball all over the course the first 8 holes. Then on the 9th, a par 3, I thought “85 yard swing” and made par. But still had a 48 on the front 9. I continued the 100 and 85 yard swing thoughts and shot a 35 on the back. Played the front 9 again and shot 39.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

My wife and I were talking about the same issue. She has brand new clubs and is hitting them very tentatively - slowing the club just before impact. .

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm working on my tempo from putt to chip to full swing with the driver all to the beat of "tick tock".  It certainly does help when I do it.  When I get fast, the ball takes on a mind of its own.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug