TESTERS WANTED! ×

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Shankster
Message added by STUDque

We need a wind to really make a test. Watching the Irish today with zero wind and these guys were hitting 5 iron 260yds on the firm fast running fairways.

Some rain before the Open to make the rough actual rough would also help.

My favourite Major which usually finds me watching 12 hrs a day- Sky Golfs coverage is superb and the Open Zone right beside the practice fairway adds to it all when they constantly bring in the elite to talk about, and show their skills.

My picks dont include Brooks - I think this could be tough for him with all the quirky bounces and bunkers that gather even a fairway shot.

Rahm has to be a good shout as the man on form.

A good guide for form will be the Scottish Open this week starting Thursday.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

IMG_6044.JPG

The Open Championship

The oldest championship, my personal favorite. Being played on a course that hasn’t seen the likes of an Open since 1951. I bet Ireland is glad to get a major back on its turf.

Aerial views that I can find of Royal Portrush show not many bunkers, and I don’t think there will be many Par 5’s that aren’t gettable in 2. A beautiful venue for sure, but it looks rather docile aside from the mounds, this is most likely not the case. Sleeping monster perhaps? I’m sure the fescue will be up, and hopefully some rain & wind to add to the fun. It’s on my bucket list, as are all the other Open Venues past and present.

I am 100% sure the pictures don’t do the course justice, I’ve seen a couple that make the place look absolutely magnificent. There is just something about Links golf, and I haven’t even played one that makes this game what it is, just some faux links... I do believe a trip to Cabot or Brandon would tide me over.

BK with the highest odds to win, and I can’t go against that man. He is the best player on the planet right now.

Gary Woodland coming off of his US Open win had that stinger game down that will come in handy.

Will Rickie ever win one?

Rory or another Irishman on home turf? Too much pressure? Odd that he skipped the Irish Open.

Tommy? Tommy? Tommy?

Can Francesco repeat?

How bout Mr. 57? Louis Oosthuizen...??

I think it will be a low scoring affair if the wind isn’t up. Either way I am glad I renewed my Hulu subscription so I could watch my favorite stretch of golf.

Official Site: https://www.theopen.com/royal-portrush-148th-open/

The 2 week run up!!

What, no mention of El Tigre... I see what you're doing. 😉  This ones my second favorite.  There is something about the raw, barren look of these courses that makes them so cool.  Why I never took the handful of opportunities while traveling for work to play these now has me kicking myself.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

For the first time ever, I’m going to also be watching the Barbasol as well since I just played the course! Best part about the Open for me? Watching the final round finish while it’s still early in the day!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Feel like Brooksy is the guy to pick. Came second at the Masters then wins the PGA. Came second at the US Open so he's bound to win The Open, right?

Hopefully it'll be an exciting tournament. Usually is.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I don’t know why but I have a feeling that the winner will be a way out of left field type golfer. Like a completely first time winner like Doc Redman or someone like that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Just now, blackngold_blood said:

I don’t know why but I have a feeling that the winner will be a way out of left field type golfer. Like a completely first time winner like Doc Redman or someone like that.

I agree with that. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Mahan?

If you want to go off into left field. I’m picking Jorge Campillo.

Maybe this new Wolffpack Kid?

12 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Feel like Brooksy is the guy to pick. Came second at the Masters then wins the PGA. Came second at the US Open so he's bound to win The Open, right?

totally different type of course to the ones above- that's why I'm not picking him. I could of course (usually) be totally wrong😂

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

He torched Erin Hills, and was the last man standing at Shinnecock...

Was T39 last year at Carnoustie...

is Erin hills a links?

Shinnecock is a links 'style' but isn't the same as a true links........imo

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

totally different type of course to the ones above- that's why I'm not picking him. I could of course (usually) be totally wrong😂

Koepka's last 3 Open Championship finishes........

• T10 at St. Andrews in 2015
  • T6 at Royal Birkdale in 2017
  • T39 at Carnoustie in 2018

T39 at Carnoustie is his worst finish in any major championship since the 2014 US Open!  

4 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

is Erin hills a links?

Very similar to Shinnecock Hills.

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Koepka's last 3 Open Championship finishes........

• T10 at St. Andrews in 2015
  • T6 at Royal Birkdale in 2017
  • T39 at Carnoustie in 2018

T39 at Carnoustie is his worst finish in any major championship since the 2014 US Open!  

Very similar to Shinnecock Hills.

St Andrews is a Skoosh of a course- I've played it just once and it wasn't tough.

Royal Birkdale is certainly much tougher but a warm dry summer and no wind left it defenseless.

Carnoustie tougher still and there was a breeze.

If it blows at Royal Portrush and they let the rough grow BK might not make the cut - there! I've said it, and said it out loud LOL

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

St Andrews is a Skoosh of a course- I've played it just once and it wasn't tough.

Royal Birkdale is certainly much tougher but a warm dry summer and no wind left it defenseless.

If it blows at Royal Portrush and they let the rough grow BK might not make the cut - there! I've said it, and said it out loud LOL

Hasn't finished worse than T39 in a major championship since June 2014.  Definitely a hot take you got going on there.  Good luck with that!

3 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

IF "ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas"!!

I'm not betting against him.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Hasn't finished worse than T39 in a major championship since June 2014.  Definitely a hot take you got going on there.  Good luck with that!

Thank you, it's just an opinion as the links in Ireland are tougher than most

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

and if I was right even once in my Major predictions the last few years I'd be in possession of a set of Wilson irons 😂

Just now, perseveringgolfer said:

and if I was right even once in my Major predictions the last few years I'd be in possession of a set of Wilson irons 😂

Well, my picks usually don't make the cut!!

Anyone you don't like?  I'll pick him.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

49 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I'm not betting against BK either.  At least until he shows he isn't the master of all things major!

It always seems that weather plays a role during the Open. I’m not sure what the projected forecast is, but rainy and windy could change the outcome of this one very easily. Good weather will put the big names at the top, where bad weather would bring in guys who seem to play well in bad conditions. BK will probably contend again. Rory has been playing well, JRose seems to have found his swing, and Kuch seems to play well here. I did not pick all of the in the spy slam. Can a Brit win the tourney. I’d love to see Westwood play well and contend, he is getting to the point where his chances are getting less and less. Anyway should be fun to get up early and watch

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

is Erin hills a links?
Shinnecock is a links 'style' but isn't the same as a true links........imo

Faux Links. At least that’s what they were going for. But it was a windless wheat field.

I agree, not a true links, I think those aware only in your neck of the woods.

But the set up of those courses was ridiculous and he was the last man standing.

2 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Looks like some rain and wind in the forecast. I put my wilson club bet on uglier conditions. 

at last! a 'proper' links test

Continuing my theme of never choosing the correct winner, I predict that Nate Lashley is going to win the British Open.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch