TESTERS WANTED! ×

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

Shankster
Message added by STUDque

Lots of folks in the #SpyStaffSlam thread picking players not in the field!  Maybe Koepka's theory that half the field is eliminated before the championship even starts applies to this contest!?!?!

In my estimation, we have tournament golf and championship golf at the highest levels.  Most weeks we get boring tournament golf on nondescript TPC layouts.  This week, we get championship golf at Royal Portrush!  This is my favorite championship each and every year.  I love the simplistic beauty surrounding The Open.

Who else will be getting up at 1:30am to watch from the beginning?

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Lots of folks in the #SpyStaffSlam thread picking players not in the field!  Maybe Koepka's theory that half the field is eliminated before the championship even starts applies to this contest!?!?!

In my estimation, we have tournament golf and championship golf at the highest levels.  Most weeks we get boring tournament golf on nondescript TPC layouts.  This week, we get championship golf at Royal Portrush!  This is my favorite championship each and every year.  I love the simplistic beauty surrounding The Open.

Who else will be getting up at 1:30am to watch from the beginning?

Not only picking players that aren't in the field, but picking players that are in the Tiers for their Tier 5!!!

You mean staying up until 10:30pm and watching all night long???   😴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

Not only picking players that aren't in the field, but picking players that are in the Tiers for their Tier 5!!!

The pain is real....

I have to collect, sort through and organize all of these entries.....my faith in humanity is hanging by a thread.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

The pain is real....

I have to collect, sort through and organize all of these entries.....my faith in humanity is hanging by a thread.

With great power and whatnot.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

1 minute ago, Berg Ryman said:

With great power and whatnot.

HA!  

1. the power you speak of is not as great as you would think

2. inability to read basic instructions can lead to negative consequences....or whatnot.  😉

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

the GOAT.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I thought I would inform all of you that I picked Brooks Koepka to win.  You all know that whomever I pick misses the cut.  You still have time to change your pick... fair warning.  🤣

My rationale is that Brooks plays well in majors, right?  His caddie has played this course 1000 times so he's familiar with the lines off the tees.  There is no way he misses the cut, so I thought this was a good opportunity to break my unlucky streak.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I thought I would inform all of you that I picked Brooks Koepka to win.  You all know that whomever I pick misses the cut.  You still have time to change your pick... fair warning.  🤣

My rationale is that Brooks plays well in majors, right?  His caddie has played this course 1000 times so he's familiar with the lines off the tees.  There is no way he misses the cut, so I thought this was a good opportunity to break my unlucky streak.  

No player has ever finished top 2 in all 4 majors in the same year.  No one.  In the history of golf.  Not Jack, Tiger, Arnie, nobody.

Brooks has 2 seconds and a first...

Thanks for jinxing him @Kenny B  🙂

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

No player has ever finished top 2 in all 4 majors in the same year.  No one.  In the history of golf.  Not Jack, Tiger, Arnie, nobody.
Brooks has 2 seconds and a first...
Thanks for jinxing him [mention=42521]Kenny B[/mention] 

Tiger was defending champ for each of them simultaneously, although not in the same calendar year. I'm a Tiger homer without a doubt, but realistically, the Tiger slam is still more impressive to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Brooks, but this is like one of those stats sports media makes up to build hype. "No one has ever averaged 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 blocks on a Monday following a 3-day weekend. Not Kareem, not Jordan, not LeBron James..." Sometimes watching Sports center is so funny because of the Uber-specific stats they come up with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I think with this course it is really an unknown... Especially now with the weather. Tiger had always been my go to, but with the rain and the cold, his back can't be feeling great.

This is anyone's Open

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

The weather will favor those used to it for sure, but I still think the main players are going to be at the top of the leaderboard come Sunday. Koepka, McIlroy seem to be the “favorites” heading in to this. It will be interesting to see who else joins them. Zach Johnson always seems to play well in be Open, will he make another run at it? Will one or more of the new generation make their presence known this week. Should be fun to watch 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

43 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Tiger was defending champ for each of them simultaneously, although not in the same calendar year. I'm a Tiger homer without a doubt, but realistically, the Tiger slam is still more impressive to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Brooks, but this is like one of those stats sports media makes up to build hype. "No one has ever averaged 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 blocks on a Monday following a 3-day weekend. Not Kareem, not Jordan, not LeBron James..." Sometimes watching Sports center is so funny because of the Uber-specific stats they come up with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm a Tiger homer too and I'm not ashamed either 😂 What Brooks has done the last few years is amazing but the "Tiger Slam" was just spectacular - to hold all the Majors at the same time is just so special and something we will likely never see again (NEVER say never - good grief). When you look at Tiger's win percentage during his prime it is just beyond comprehension - he is a once-in-a-lifetime player IMHO. I don't think Brooks or Tiger will win but it would be great if they did for different reasons. Rory has good memories at Royal Portrush with the course record but by his own admission, he doesn't play with the same swagger he did at 16 when he shot 61 there. 

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The only time of the year that living in Hawaii is convenient for watching sports. We're 12 or 13 hours behind so it's basically primetime into late night tv for us

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I'm pumped for the open, can't wait for it to get started tonight.

If anybody is a fan of No Laying Up they did an awesome interview with Eamon Lynch, who is from Northern Ireland, discussing not only the course but some of the recent history of the issues that have plagued Northern Ireland for the last 50 years. Really interesting stuff and certainly adds a different angle to the coverage.

I think the winner comes from "the field," not sure it will be a big name player. Should be fun to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Rory! What did you do!???

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Just woke-up at the hotel in San Antonio... No Golf Channel, so streaming on The Open app. Already cut-out twice. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Just woke-up at the hotel in San Antonio... No Golf Channel, so streaming on The Open app. Already cut-out twice. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does your home cable/streaming service provider have an app?  That's how I'm watching.

I'm a Tiger homer too and I'm not ashamed either  What Brooks has done the last few years is amazing but the "Tiger Slam" was just spectacular - to hold all the Majors at the same time is just so special and something we will likely never see again (NEVER say never - good grief). When you look at Tiger's win percentage during his prime it is just beyond comprehension - he is a once-in-a-lifetime player IMHO. I don't think Brooks or Tiger will win but it would be great if they did for different reasons. Rory has good memories at Royal Portrush with the course record but by his own admission, he doesn't play with the same swagger he did at 16 when he shot 61 there. 

With all due respect you need to review Jack’s major record from the late 60’s to 1980. It’s better than Tiger’s prime in regards to consistency. Jack was rarely outside of the top 5 during that time. I’m 62 that makes Tiger a twice in a lifetime player. :)

I do agree that the Tiger slam was amazing as that Tiger was more consistent in regards to regular tour events. Jack used those to prep for majors, Tiger has always wanted to win everything and anything.

Watching today - not crazy about the coverage. I’ve yet to see a full leaderboard and where is some sort of shot tracking system?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

15 minutes ago, revkev said:

With all due respect you need to review Jack’s major record from the late 60’s to 1980. It’s better than Tiger’s prime in regards to consistency. Jack was rarely outside of the top 5 during that time. I’m 62 that makes Tiger a twice in a lifetime player. 🙂

I do agree that the Tiger slam was amazing as that Tiger was more consistent in regards to regular tour events. Jack used those to prep for majors, Tiger has always wanted to win everything and anything.

Watching today - not crazy about the coverage. I’ve yet to see a full leaderboard and where is some sort of shot tracking system?

The golf Tiger played in 2000-2002 may be the best golf we have ever seen.  He completely dominated fields at times winning the US Open by 15 and The Open by 8 in back-to-back majors.

With that said, the younger generations don't know how dominant Jack was for the better part of two decades.  All while raising a family!  Although, Jack may have the greatest athletes wife known to man.  Jack finished 2nd 19 times and 3rd 48 times in major championships.  But the most fascinating thing about Jack's major championship record to me is the fact that for the entire decade of the 60's Jack finished outside the top-10 in majors a grand total of 13 times missing the cut 3 times.  In the decade of the 70's (40 total majors), he finished outside the top-10 a total of 5 times, missing the cut once! 

Both are impressive but Jack's was more consistent over a longer period of time.

SERGIO!!!!

That's all I have to add at this point in time.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

The golf Tiger played in 2000-2002 may be the best golf we have ever seen.  He completely dominated fields at times winning the US Open by 15 and The Open by 8 in back-to-back majors.

With that said, the younger generations don't know how dominant Jack was for the better part of two decades.  All while raising a family!  Although, Jack may have the greatest athletes wife known to man.  Jack finished 2nd 19 times and 3rd 48 times in major championships.  But the most fascinating thing about Jack's major championship record to me is the fact that for the entire decade of the 60's Jack finished outside the top-10 in majors a grand total of 13 times missing the cut 3 times.  In the decade of the 70's (40 total majors), he finished outside the top-10 a total of 5 times, missing the cut once! 

Both are impressive but Jack's was more consistent over a longer period of time.

Exactly and thanks Shanks, too. Those two, Jack and Tiger, Tiger and Jack - totally separated themselves from the rest of the field.

Tiger has that ridiculous 3 year run where he was nearly unbeatable. But that 20 string with Jack in majors was unreal, too.

Poor Brooks, win and it’s only the 2nd greatest major performance of all time. Oh the shame. :)

Finally some shot tracers

What a great golf course

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The weather sure looks better than the coverage last night of El Tigre practicing in driving rain... yuck!  The forecast for rain over the next 4 days looks to have diminished, but it will be a bit windy.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I know it's only Thursday but I like living in the imaginative!  Jordan Spieth sitting at -3 through 5 holes has me pondering.  As bad as YJS has been for the past couple of years, how big would it be for Titleist if he were go on to win The Open Championship after putting the T100 irons in the bag only a few days ago?