Shankster

THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP

GolfSpy STUDque

Message added by GolfSpy STUDque

Lots of folks in the #SpyStaffSlam thread picking players not in the field!  Maybe Koepka's theory that half the field is eliminated before the championship even starts applies to this contest!?!?!

In my estimation, we have tournament golf and championship golf at the highest levels.  Most weeks we get boring tournament golf on nondescript TPC layouts.  This week, we get championship golf at Royal Portrush!  This is my favorite championship each and every year.  I love the simplistic beauty surrounding The Open.

Who else will be getting up at 1:30am to watch from the beginning?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Lots of folks in the #SpyStaffSlam thread picking players not in the field!  Maybe Koepka's theory that half the field is eliminated before the championship even starts applies to this contest!?!?!

In my estimation, we have tournament golf and championship golf at the highest levels.  Most weeks we get boring tournament golf on nondescript TPC layouts.  This week, we get championship golf at Royal Portrush!  This is my favorite championship each and every year.  I love the simplistic beauty surrounding The Open.

Who else will be getting up at 1:30am to watch from the beginning?

Not only picking players that aren't in the field, but picking players that are in the Tiers for their Tier 5!!!

You mean staying up until 10:30pm and watching all night long???   😴

• Like 3

Just now, Kenny B said:

Not only picking players that aren't in the field, but picking players that are in the Tiers for their Tier 5!!!

The pain is real....

I have to collect, sort through and organize all of these entries.....my faith in humanity is hanging by a thread.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

The pain is real....

I have to collect, sort through and organize all of these entries.....my faith in humanity is hanging by a thread.

With great power and whatnot.

1 minute ago, Berg Ryman said:

With great power and whatnot.

HA!  

1. the power you speak of is not as great as you would think

2. inability to read basic instructions can lead to negative consequences....or whatnot.  😉

• Like 1

the GOAT.... 

I thought I would inform all of you that I picked Brooks Koepka to win.  You all know that whomever I pick misses the cut.  You still have time to change your pick... fair warning.  🤣

My rationale is that Brooks plays well in majors, right?  His caddie has played this course 1000 times so he's familiar with the lines off the tees.  There is no way he misses the cut, so I thought this was a good opportunity to break my unlucky streak.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I thought I would inform all of you that I picked Brooks Koepka to win.  You all know that whomever I pick misses the cut.  You still have time to change your pick... fair warning.  🤣

My rationale is that Brooks plays well in majors, right?  His caddie has played this course 1000 times so he's familiar with the lines off the tees.  There is no way he misses the cut, so I thought this was a good opportunity to break my unlucky streak.  

No player has ever finished top 2 in all 4 majors in the same year.  No one.  In the history of golf.  Not Jack, Tiger, Arnie, nobody.

Brooks has 2 seconds and a first...

Thanks for jinxing him @Kenny B  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No player has ever finished top 2 in all 4 majors in the same year.  No one.  In the history of golf.  Not Jack, Tiger, Arnie, nobody.
Brooks has 2 seconds and a first...
Thanks for jinxing him [mention=42521]Kenny B[/mention] 

Tiger was defending champ for each of them simultaneously, although not in the same calendar year. I'm a Tiger homer without a doubt, but realistically, the Tiger slam is still more impressive to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Brooks, but this is like one of those stats sports media makes up to build hype. "No one has ever averaged 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 blocks on a Monday following a 3-day weekend. Not Kareem, not Jordan, not LeBron James..." Sometimes watching Sports center is so funny because of the Uber-specific stats they come up with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

That reminds me I need to change my Teir 5, Morikawa isn’t playing 

I think with this course it is really an unknown... Especially now with the weather. Tiger had always been my go to, but with the rain and the cold, his back can't be feeling great.

This is anyone's Open

The weather will favor those used to it for sure, but I still think the main players are going to be at the top of the leaderboard come Sunday. Koepka, McIlroy seem to be the “favorites” heading in to this. It will be interesting to see who else joins them. Zach Johnson always seems to play well in be Open, will he make another run at it? Will one or more of the new generation make their presence known this week. Should be fun to watch 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Translation: Dam you and your east coast bias! ~Kenny B~ (probably)

Sorry KB!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Tiger was defending champ for each of them simultaneously, although not in the same calendar year. I'm a Tiger homer without a doubt, but realistically, the Tiger slam is still more impressive to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Brooks, but this is like one of those stats sports media makes up to build hype. "No one has ever averaged 6 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, and 6 blocks on a Monday following a 3-day weekend. Not Kareem, not Jordan, not LeBron James..." Sometimes watching Sports center is so funny because of the Uber-specific stats they come up with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm a Tiger homer too and I'm not ashamed either 😂 What Brooks has done the last few years is amazing but the "Tiger Slam" was just spectacular - to hold all the Majors at the same time is just so special and something we will likely never see again (NEVER say never - good grief). When you look at Tiger's win percentage during his prime it is just beyond comprehension - he is a once-in-a-lifetime player IMHO. I don't think Brooks or Tiger will win but it would be great if they did for different reasons. Rory has good memories at Royal Portrush with the course record but by his own admission, he doesn't play with the same swagger he did at 16 when he shot 61 there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The only time of the year that living in Hawaii is convenient for watching sports. We're 12 or 13 hours behind so it's basically primetime into late night tv for us

• Like 4

I'm pumped for the open, can't wait for it to get started tonight.

If anybody is a fan of No Laying Up they did an awesome interview with Eamon Lynch, who is from Northern Ireland, discussing not only the course but some of the recent history of the issues that have plagued Northern Ireland for the last 50 years. Really interesting stuff and certainly adds a different angle to the coverage.

I think the winner comes from "the field," not sure it will be a big name player. Should be fun to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm thinking Stenson will have a good tournament.

Rory! What did you do!???

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1