TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

Those look so great. I’ll have to try one just for fun someday. Not sure that I have a swing to match up with them. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Might as well give them a try. You’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Ok. You convinced me. looks like a golf store lunch break is in order this week. I got a place near my office that has an outdoor range and free balls.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

How bout the muscle?

I noticed right away on these irons that there was a progressive muscle back.

Starting with the wedge the muscle part of the iron runs higher up the blade, working your way up to the 2 iron it gradually moves lower. So you’ll naturally get higher launching long irons, neural mid irons, and a nice low ball launch on the short irons... just with the COG positions.

I really think the little toe part that is raised with the tungsten weight adds to the feel of these clubs.

2 iron

IMG_5931.JPG

4 iron

IMG_5940.JPG

6 iron

IMG_5943.JPG

8 iron

IMG_5949.JPG

Wedge

IMG_5955.JPG

Creativity...

These babies inspire creativity.

Went to the range today, and the short game area. The Open always makes me try to lower my ball flight...

Was working on the knock down 7-PW. Nothing cooler than hitting a 85 yard knock down 8 irons. Really brings on the feel of these clubs... let’s you play those touch shots without the rockets...

Face milling and grooves on these look and feel like sand paper.

IMG_6034.JPG

That photo is drool inducing.

They have nailed the look. Still looks like a PING, but also a dead sexy blade.

I wonder what the feeling will be with those vs the new MP line. I remember a lot of heated debates when the s55s came out too.

That photo is drool inducing.

They have nailed the look. Still looks like a PING, but also a dead sexy blade.

I wonder what the feeling will be with those vs the new MP line. I remember a lot of heated debates when the s55s came out too.

I am sure the die hard Mizuno fans will argue all day. As would the PING die hard’s.

The wand chooses the wizard.

Ok @Shankster because of this review, I had to hit the 2i at my ping iron fitting tonight.  (Looking at the i210s not blueprints lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zD5FKIQcdM

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Time for some Gary Woodland-esqe 2 iron stingers! @Shankster

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Crisp! You got the game for that club!

Thanks!  Just because I can hit it doesn't mean I should play it ha!  I'm going to leave that to you

Creativity...

These babies inspire creativity.

Went to the range today, and the short game area. The Open always makes me try to lower my ball flight...

Was working on the knock down 7-PW. Nothing cooler than hitting a 85 yard knock down 8 irons. Really brings on the feel of these clubs... let’s you play those touch shots without the rockets...

Face milling and grooves on these look and feel like sand paper.

IMG_6034.thumb.JPG.52694975c4194b99f0b9901cb024336d.JPG

That's really the thing I miss about blades. I'm playing GI club (i500) for the first time in a decade or so and while I'm glad for the help most of the time, I just miss the ease of hitting knockdown and other "feathery" type shots. I'm not in the camp that says you can't play those shots with cavity backs because you can - it just requires a bit more work because of fighting the design of the club. I'm considering going to the Blueprint irons in 8-PW at least. It is those clubs in particular that I miss the shot shaping and launch conditions of a blade the most.

Shankster - are you more of a digger or sweeper? Is a knockdown a shot you normally hit? Are you a player who is intentionally trying to work the ball when you play? If so, can you comment on the pros and cons of the Blueprint irons? (I know they are blades and therefore highly workable, I'm just looking for an insight you may be able to provide and I've struggled to formulate a question that didn't end with an answer of: "Duh - it's a blade." ) Thanks!

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

That's really the thing I miss about blades. I'm playing GI club (i500) for the first time in a decade or so and while I'm glad for the help most of the time, I just miss the ease of hitting knockdown and other "feathery" type shots. I'm not in the camp that says you can't play those shots with cavity backs because you can - it just requires a bit more work because of fighting the design of the club. I'm considering going to the Blueprint irons in 8-PW at least. It is those clubs in particular that I miss the shot shaping and launch conditions of a blade the most.

Shankster - are you more of a digger or sweeper? Is a knockdown a shot you normally hit? Are you a player who is intentionally trying to work the ball when you play? If so, can you comment on the pros and cons of the Blueprint irons? (I know they are blades and therefore highly workable, I'm just looking for an insight you may be able to provide and I've struggled to formulate a question that didn't end with an answer of: "Duh - it's a blade." ) Thanks!

Damn if a +4 is playing a GI what am I doing with my life

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Damn if a +4 is playing a GI what am I doing with my life Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Honestly I can't imagine going back to blades from top to bottom. Up until last year I played Saqra 1150 https://mygolfspy.com/saqra-inb-1150-iron-review/ but after my back surgeries I wanted something with more forgiveness and a bit more length - just to get back what I had lost. When the i500 came out - I really liked the clean look and lack of offset and they are so forgiving. They give me what I don't deserve and I love it :)  

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

21 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

Honestly I can't imagine going back to blades from top to bottom. Up until last year I played Saqra 1150 https://mygolfspy.com/saqra-inb-1150-iron-review/ but after my back surgeries I wanted something with more forgiveness and a bit more length - just to get back what I had lost. When the i500 came out - I really liked the clean look and lack of offset and they are so forgiving. They give me what I don't deserve and I love it 🙂  

Do you ever have issues of them jumping on you? I love how I never have random rockets, but a slightly longer blade length and a little more sole are two things that I definitely wouldn't hate.

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

Thanks!  Just because I can hit it doesn't mean I should play it ha!  I'm going to leave that to you

So... did you end up with new clubs? We need details man!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

14 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I'm really close!  I've narrowed it down to Cobra Forged Tec, Callaway Apex, Ping i210, and Srixon Z785.  I had a fitting event with Cobra last Saturday, Ping today, and Srixon Sunday.  I'm a person who will triple check before I pull the trigger and luckily all the reps are within driving distance and have a lot of demo days. 

I'll be honest, I don't know what could beat the i210's after we got them dialed in!  Those things have great feel and actually a lot of forgiveness.  We put the KBS $ Taper 130 x-flex shaft in and flattened a degree.  Those things were landing right on top of each other!  I was in heaven!  Now we just need to get the wife's sign-off 🙂

48 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Do you ever have issues of them jumping on you? I love how I never have random rockets, but a slightly longer blade length and a little more sole are two things that I definitely wouldn't hate.

I really don't. My spin numbers are very consistent and solid. I know some people have really low spin numbers with the i500 which explains the random shot that flies the green but my numbers are where they should be. The only exception to that is if I'm in a fluffy lie or some situation where the course is taking off spin but those are rare and no different that any other iron I have used. 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I play the i500s too and don't have to worry about jumping. The only times I've gotta be careful is on hot days when everything is going longer or out of the rough, fliers can be hit into the upper deck. With your SS, I've gotta think you'd get along with them just fine but you might not like the feel citing your finer taste. 

4 hours ago, golfertrb said:

I really don't. My spin numbers are very consistent and solid. I know some people have really low spin numbers with the i500 which explains the random shot that flies the green but my numbers are where they should be. The only exception to that is if I'm in a fluffy lie or some situation where the course is taking off spin but those are rare and no different that any other iron I have used. 

+1

6 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Ok @Shankster because of this review, I had to hit the 2i at my ping iron fitting tonight.  (Looking at the i210s not blueprints lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zD5FKIQcdM

You should try it anyway just for the experience! Alan let me hit his 2i yesterday and it was really cool. Super low, super hot, and feels like you're not even taking a divot. Definitely more side-to-side than my irons but that's a practice thing, not a club thing. Plus, the 2i loft wasn't as flat as I was expecting. I pictured a putter on the end of the shaft but it felt much more comfortable. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

You should try it anyway just for the experience! Alan let me hit his 2i yesterday and it was really cool. Super low, super hot, and feels like you're not even taking a divot. Definitely more side-to-side than my irons but that's a practice thing, not a club thing. Plus, the 2i loft wasn't as flat as I was expecting. I pictured a putter on the end of the shaft but it felt much more comfortable. 

That's so true. I still practice with my MP 14 1 iron which is within a half degree of the Blueprint 2 iron (MP 14 17* - Blueprint 17.5*). There is NOTHING quite so sweet as a well struck long iron blade.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Both when I need to be. I generally sweep the mid and long irons and dig with the short irons. Then on the finesse shots back to picking. The swept ones still bruise the grass.

When I played back in high school I just hit the ball as hard as I could and never cared about the trajectory. I just recently (within the last 4-5 years) started to enjoy the nuances of flighting and shaping the ball on purpose. It probably hurts my score more than anything. But yes, sometimes when I am 150 ish out I will flight a low 5 or 6 iron, and been working in some knock down 8-PW from 130 and in. Super easy to flight them.

As far as shot shaping goes, I can move them both directions rather easily. Having trouble with full shot draws at the moment, my “stock” shot. Ever since my shoulder surgery I am a bit timid to really go after anything.

Actually thinking about sending them back to PING to have bent 2° flat to match my old set. Not taking to the more upright clubs as well as I’d like.

Honestly I can't imagine going back to blades from top to bottom. Up until last year I played Saqra 1150 https://mygolfspy.com/saqra-inb-1150-iron-review/ but after my back surgeries I wanted something with more forgiveness and a bit more length - just to get back what I had lost. When the i500 came out - I really liked the clean look and lack of offset and they are so forgiving. They give me what I don't deserve and I love it :)   

So I had some time with the iBlade at a demo day I went to a few years back. And used it for my fitting for these. That is a wonderful club. All the feels of a blade with a hint of forgiveness. I actually thought they were more forgiving than the i200’s at the time.

I don’t think I could notice any workability differences between the iBlade and the Blueprint, but that’s going off an old memory. As far as offset neither club will have much at all in the ones you’d like to replace in your set.

As much as I love hitting these I could see myself adding a 2-5 iron in the new iBlade somewhere down the line... but probably won’t move from the blades until I can’t hit them or the grooves wear out.

Point being, if you want a touch of forgiveness and the ability to play like a blade that is another option.

That's so true. I still practice with my MP 14 1 iron which is within a half degree of the Blueprint 2 iron (MP 14 17* - Blueprint 17.5*). There is NOTHING quite so sweet as a well struck long iron blade.

Another thought I had.

I only had a SW for a short time as a kid. So I used my PW for all the short stuff. So I guess I have been hitting finesse and knock downs for a while. But only because I had to.

Once I discovered a 56° it was game on. But with most of the companies working the COG up high will bring even more fun with wedges.

Even yesterday when Tiger hit that bunker shot on number 1, the commentators were amazed that he used a 9 iron or PW out of the bunker instead of a more lofted wedge.

I think that’s the thing I like the most about having blades back in the bag. The COG isn’t in the bottom of the club.

I used to get (Rockets) from my old clubs. Super high and super long when I didn’t want them. Very inconsistent ball flights, they were all super high. I could work them low, but it really did take A LOT of work. They just wanted to go high.

These do what you tell them. Nothing more, nothing less. So if that is a shut faced toey shot... you get a low screaming hook. Necky thin? Low low fade. Pure one with a square face? Bullet straight.

Time for some Gary Woodland-esqe 2 iron stingers! [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention]

Next week...

Have to go back to work Monday...

Course is sort of out of the way. So I won’t be able to practice as much as I’d like or used to do. It is a much better practice facility, so I’ll just put more time in one or 2 days a week. Planning on at least 1 round a week for the rest of the summer, and 1/2 days of range work.

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

919s are longer blade length than 900s. Just saying 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:31 AM, Shankster said:

Let’s talk shape

One major selling point on blades is the shape. Mizuno has the sharper lines with a more pointed squared off toe, cobras are quite rounded, titleist is somewhere in between.

These... a hybrid of such. There is a nice transition from a squarer toe on the long and mid irons, that gradually rounds off in the scoring irons, and then just a touch of square on the wedge. I don’t think the could have progressed the shape any better.

From address the topline is very thin, this is also key for blades. It blends into the hosel perfectly. The little bit of offset is hardly noticeable in the short and mid irons, the long irons you can notice it, but it isn’t offensive at all. They don’t point left like hugely offset irons. Very square address position.

3 ironIMG_5935.JPG
5 ironIMG_5942.JPG
9 ironIMG_5953.JPG
WedgeIMG_5956.JPG

Notice how on the higher irons they leave a visible mill finish and the long irons are smooth?  When I first got my G410's I thought it was a manufacturing goof... then realized it was just more PING brilliance 😉.  I'm interested in seeing your strike zone pattern and how you rate them for mishits.  We talked about you and these irons at the NW Spy Meet-up... no pressure. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

So I had some time with the iBlade at a demo day I went to a few years back. And used it for my fitting for these. That is a wonderful club. All the feels of a blade with a hint of forgiveness. I actually thought they were more forgiving than the i200’s at the time.

I don’t think I could notice any workability differences between the iBlade and the Blueprint, but that’s going off an old memory. As far as offset neither club will have much at all in the ones you’d like to replace in your set.

As much as I love hitting these I could see myself adding a 2-5 iron in the new iBlade somewhere down the line... but probably won’t move from the blades until I can’t hit them or the grooves wear out.

Point being, if you want a touch of forgiveness and the ability to play like a blade that is another option.

The iBlade was a consideration as well - the MOI on those is higher than the Eye 2 which is pretty amazing. I have considered 7 iron in the iBlade because the shape and offset is just like the i500 and 8-PW in the Blueprint. The truth is my heart has always been towards blades and the Blueprint are fantastic. What's so stupid is that I don't need to change anything except maybe the PW - I could use a bit more flexibility. We'll see.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Both when I need to be. I generally sweep the mid and long irons and dig with the short irons. Then on the finesse shots back to picking. The swept ones still bruise the grass.

When I played back in high school I just hit the ball as hard as I could and never cared about the trajectory. I just recently (within the last 4-5 years) started to enjoy the nuances of flighting and shaping the ball on purpose. It probably hurts my score more than anything. But yes, sometimes when I am 150 ish out I will flight a low 5 or 6 iron, and been working in some knock down 8-PW from 130 and in. Super easy to flight them.

As far as shot shaping goes, I can move them both directions rather easily. Having trouble with full shot draws at the moment, my “stock” shot. Ever since my shoulder surgery I am a bit timid to really go after anything.

Actually thinking about sending them back to PING to have bent 2° flat to match my old set. Not taking to the more upright clubs as well as I’d like.

I appreciate the feedback. I ask because the bounce on the Blueprint is a bit higher than what I'm used to for a blade. I'm more of a sweeper so my long irons are always solid but I have to work at times to hit down more on wedges.

I'm interested in what your thoughts will be long term in comparison with your gamers. As you said, blades will just give you what you put into them. In my limited testing I found the Blueprint really solid and quite forgiving for what they are. The tungsten in the toe is noticeable in terms of forgiveness - Ping is so smart. I would get them bent to your familiar specs - I'm sure it would make a positive impact. I do get the concern after surgery - I'm the same way with my back after the fusion - I have to literally remind myself to fully turn.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Notice how on the higher irons they leave a visible mill finish and the long irons are smooth?  When I first got my G410's I thought it was a manufacturing goof... then realized it was just more PING brilliance .  I'm interested in seeing your strike zone pattern and how you rate them for mishits.  We talked about you and these irons at the NW Spy Meet-up... no pressure. 

These have the milling from 2-PW...?

Haven’t hit enough to get any sort of wear pattern yet. Besides the rounds where I kept score I’ve been lift cleaning and placing. I learned my lesson with the Bridgestone Wedges. Not hitting anything covered in mud or sand... yet. They still have the new car smell...

The rounds I didn’t lift clean and place I noticed that they were taking a undue beating. The courses I’ve played are super sandy... not sure how the Hydropearl finish is going to hold up... I love the non glare properties of it, and the technology, but it wears fast.

IMG_6196.JPG