TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

The iBlade was a consideration as well - the MOI on those is higher than the Eye 2 which is pretty amazing. I have considered 7 iron in the iBlade because the shape and offset is just like the i500 and 8-PW in the Blueprint. The truth is my heart has always been towards blades and the Blueprint are fantastic. What's so stupid is that I don't need to change anything except maybe the PW - I could use a bit more flexibility. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it. Order up a 8-PW Blueprint. They are more forgiving than I could have ever imagined for a blade. Especially if iron striking is a strong point, and it sounds like it is a very strong point for you.

I hope they tailor the Glide Forged 2.0’s to add a bit more bounce to match these. And add a UW to the blueprint line. I would love a 50°/51° wedge in these.

Anyone notice that Westwood has a UW, and a UW2 in the i200’s? 50° and 53°... smart man. I think a squarer soled GW/UW/AW would be smart. Especially with a bit of bounce.

I appreciate the feedback. I ask because the bounce on the Blueprint is a bit higher than what I'm used to for a blade. I'm more of a sweeper so my long irons are always solid but I have to work at times to hit down more on wedges.

I'm interested in what your thoughts will be long term in comparison with your gamers. As you said, blades will just give you what you put into them. In my limited testing I found the Blueprint really solid and quite forgiving for what they are. The tungsten in the toe is noticeable in terms of forgiveness - Ping is so smart. I would get them bent to your familiar specs - I'm sure it would make a positive impact. I do get the concern after surgery - I'm the same way with my back after the fusion - I have to literally remind myself to fully turn.

Yeah. I am a fan of the bounce. I really don’t take much of a divot. I try to be a picker. It just depends on the shot type. And I am working on shallowing out my swing. That’s the goal of 2019.

I much prefer the added bounce over my TM’s.

And you hit the nail on the head. Most forgiving blade I remember hitting in my life.

As I said earlier I really had to work to move the Rocketbladez up/down or left/right. They just want to go high and straight.

Go for it. Order up a 8-PW Blueprint. They are more forgiving than I could have ever imagined for a blade. Especially if iron striking is a strong point, and it sounds like it is a very strong point for you.

I hope they tailor the Glide Forged 2.0’s to add a bit more bounce to match these. And add a UW to the blueprint line. I would love a 50°/51° wedge in these.

Anyone notice that Westwood has a UW, and a UW2 in the i200’s? 50° and 53°... smart man. I think a squarer soled GW/UW/AW would be smart. Especially with a bit of bounce.

I'm gonna do it! (That didn't take much work, huh?) Ballstriking is a strength of mine but man I sure like the grace the i500 affords on a mishit - that's what has kept me from doing it this far. That said - I'm missing the trajectory control in the short irons. A UW in the Blueprint would be sweet -

Westwood has been doing that for years and it's brilliant! Tee to green he is as good as anyone (it's always about putting for him). I couldn't agree more on the Glide Forged 2.0 - they need more bounce options - it's what has kept me from them and I'm a Ping Homer :)

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Yeah. I am a fan of the bounce. I really don’t take much of a divot. I try to be a picker. It just depends on the shot type. And I am working on shallowing out my swing. That’s the goal of 2019.

I much prefer the added bounce over my TM’s.

And you hit the nail on the head. Most forgiving blade I remember hitting in my life.

As I said earlier I really had to work to move the Rocketbladez up/down or left/right. They just want to go high and straight.

You are talking me into Blueprints - can you talk to my wife

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

23 minutes ago, Shankster said:

These have the milling from 2-PW...?

That doesn't appear in the photos.  My G410's only show the visible milling marks on the 8i-UW... 🤔.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm gonna do it! (That didn't take much work, huh?) Ballstriking is a strength of mine but man I sure like the grace the i500 affords on a mishit - that's what has kept me from doing it this far. That said - I'm missing the trajectory control in the short irons. A UW in the Blueprint would be sweet -

Westwood has been doing that for years and it's brilliant! Tee to green he is as good as anyone (it's always about putting for him). I couldn't agree more on the Glide Forged 2.0 - they need more bounce options - it's what has kept me from them and I'm a Ping Homer :)

You’re i500’s aren’t much different in bounce than these... a degree or 2 at most.

10 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Checked after you mentioned it. Could be a different technology for each club?

I'll check with PING and let you know.

Correction - only the PW and UW have the circular mill marks.

10 hours ago, yungkory said:

Damn if a +4 is playing a GI what am I doing with my life

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

LOL....That was my exact thought as well.   Also I don't know if you watched the NPG episode form this week and Harry also a + handicap, said he'd never play blades again.   

I guess all us hackers just want to look good as opposed to playing good 🤪

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I guess all us hackers just want to look good as opposed to playing good 🤪

I've always said if I'm going to play crappy golf, I might as well look good doing it.... 😜

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

7 hours ago, Shankster said:

Let us know. Would be interesting to see/hear what the tech is or isn’t behind it.

So here is the response from PING.  I did ask if this was unique to the G410's but that wasn't answered.

Yes, this is by design.  The wedges in that line are done like our Glide wedges so they provide more spin around the greens. 
Thank you for playing PING!
ES

Play Your Best,
Phone:  1-800-474-6434
Text Message:  1-602-833-5522
Monday - Friday:  7:30am - 4:30pm MST

Bounce on a Blade?

After our talks earlier today... let’s take a look at a little history lesson and the bounce on these blades.

As you all know I am into the history of this game, and really enjoy the fact that our forefathers used real butter knives as golf clubs, or as Lee Trevino said “steak knife”...

His “Burning Wedge” was a product of no bounce on his irons. I read an article about someone asking him why he wouldn’t have used a 9 or 8 iron from around 100 yards. “I’d have a steak knife.” So he took his 56° wedge with 14° of bounce and hooded it, and thought it would have had around 8° of bounce.

Let’s take a look at what they have for specs for that bounce!

IMG_6192.PNG

Ok, so remember Lee’s 8 or 9 iron would be the equivalent of the 9 iron or Wedge on the Blueprints. So that would have given him 11.5° or 13° of bounce. Of course the amount you need is all factored in while you are being fitted. But I think Old Lee Buck would have gotten along great with these clubs back in his prime.

Then again would we have seen the “burning 9 iron”? Good chance we would have.

I prefer a good bit of bounce, especially now playing on Bermuda fairways, with the fluffy lie it works wonderfully.

Bounce on a Blade?

After our talks earlier today... let’s take a look at a little history lesson and the bounce on these blades.

As you all know I am into the history of this game, and really enjoy the fact that our forefathers used real butter knives as golf clubs, or as Lee Trevino said “steak knife”...

His “Burning Wedge” was a product of no bounce on his irons. I read an article about someone asking him why he wouldn’t have used a 9 or 8 iron from around 100 yards. “I’d have a steak knife.” So he took his 56° wedge with 14° of bounce and hooded it, and thought it would have had around 8° of bounce.

Let’s take a look at what they have for specs for that bounce!

IMG_6192.PNG.3b35f12be3368b9f1a439df9f543a70b.PNG

Ok, so remember Lee’s 8 or 9 iron would be the equivalent of the 9 iron or Wedge on the Blueprints. So that would have given him 11.5° or 13° of bounce. Of course the amount you need is all factored in while you are being fitted. But I think Old Lee Buck would have gotten along great with these clubs back in his prime.

Then again would we have seen the “burning 9 iron”? Good chance we would have.

I prefer a good bit of bounce, especially now playing on Bermuda fairways, with the fluffy lie it works wonderfully.

That's good stuff Shankster. Most of the blades I have played have had less bounce - the Saqra, Mizuno and Founders Club all were much less bounce but I don't mind the bounce. I have been quite shallow with my swing and less bounce has always worked but I'm not having issues with bounce with the i500 and they are quite similar as you mentioned earlier.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Regarding forged blades in general, and the opposite spectrum of MPF, where do these rank?  The i500 forged are a "188", Mizuno MP-18's are "135", and Hogan Ft. Worth's are "90" (WHAAT?😱). I couldn't find a rating for the BluePrints... how much lower can an iron design go and not enter into the niche market? 

Regarding forged blades in general, and the opposite spectrum of MPF, where do these rank?  The i500 forged are a "188", Mizuno MP-18's are "135", and Hogan Ft. Worth's are "90" (WHAAT?). I couldn't find a rating for the BluePrints... how much lower can an iron design go and not enter into the niche market? 

@fixyurdivot just hit what I’ve been wondering since re-reading your review.

Would you talk someone into these as a playable blade?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

@fixyurdivot just hit what I’ve been wondering since re-reading your review.

I sure love the look of the forged blades, but none I've tried work for me - just cannot hit consistently.  That's kind of my thought here; at what point do these (or lower MPF clubs) become a poor trade off - even for low handicap players?  

[mention=81655]fixyurdivot[/mention] just hit what I’ve been wondering since re-reading your review.

I personally think they are playable, but I am not going to try to convince anyone to play them.

They are rather forgiving for this type of iron. I am not seeing any reason why these will not take over as the full time club in my bag. The pro’s outweigh the cons against my TM irons.

They are small.. I like that. They are easier to shape.. like that too. Forged... love that. Pretty forgiving. (Obviously not on extreme misses, but nothing is).

I may add a touch of forgiveness at the top of the bag 2-4 iron at some point with the new iBlade model. Or not. Undecided still. Combo sets make a ton of sense to me. Long iron CB’s, and the rest MB’s. But that decision will be made on a launch monitor with side by side numbers down the line.

I fact the TM’s are going to be hitting eBay shortly.

I personally think they are playable, but I am not going to try to convince anyone to play them.

They are rather forgiving for this type of iron. I am not seeing any reason why these will not take over as the full time club in my bag. The pro’s outweigh the cons against my TM irons.

They are small.. I like that. They are easier to shape.. like that too. Forged... love that. Pretty forgiving. (Obviously not on extreme misses, but nothing is).

I may add a touch of forgiveness at the top of the bag 2-4 iron at some point with the new iBlade model. Or not. Undecided still. Combo sets make a ton of sense to me. Long iron CB’s, and the rest MB’s. But that decision will be made on a launch monitor with side by side numbers down the line.

I fact the TM’s are going to be hitting eBay shortly.

The Hogan’s are in reserve for me at the moment. I replaced them with my old i5’s that I’ll never sell (sentimental reasons as they were a product of becoming a ping certified fitter at HQ).

I’m going to blow up my bag and start from scratch next season. Anything is up for grabs and thankfully I am now reminded of the MPF.

Fact of the matter is these clubs are gorgeous and if they are playable they’ll get a long hard look.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

@Shankster

Love this for you. The blueprints are a really beauty. I swung them at a PGASS and then again last week at a local golf shop. I'll just admit it now, I don't have the ball striking for them. 

I almost felt like I was swinging a training aid. And really, gaming them would probably make me a better ball striker. I have a i200 /i500 mix set, and the feel of the blueprint was much better than the 500s. I don't love the feel of the 500s, but the performance is great. 

I'll follow this thread to cheer you on, but I am putting owning a set of these right there with owning a Ferrari, beautiful, but I'd be afraid to take them out of the garage. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

The Hogan’s are in reserve for me at the moment. I replaced them with my old i5’s that I’ll never sell (sentimental reasons as they were a product of becoming a ping certified fitter at HQ).

I’m going to blow up my bag and start from scratch next season. Anything is up for grabs and thankfully I am now reminded of the MPF.

Fact of the matter is these clubs are gorgeous and if they are playable they’ll get a long hard look.

I really think you’ll be surprised how much “help” you’ll actually get with the Blueprint’s.

I was truly amazed at how well they performed on my bad days.

That tiny little tungsten screw does something for mishits.

I tend to get streaky with good strikes for a few rounds, then have a blow up round that makes me want to quit the game. I’ve had two of those rounds with these. But it was tee shots, and course management that cost me the strokes.

I really think you’ll be surprised how much “help” you’ll actually get with the Blueprint’s.

I was truly amazed at how well they performed on my bad days.

That tiny little tungsten screw does something for mishits.

I tend to get streaky with good strikes for a few rounds, then have a blow up round that makes me want to quit the game. I’ve had two of those rounds with these. But it was tee shots, and course management that cost me the strokes.

Absolute same. The blowup rounds and the average rounds are almost never a product of bad irons. Unfortunately, my lack of confidence in my current set doesn’t set me up for success.

I want to learn more about these and I’m hoping for a demo day soon enough.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Absolute same. The blowup rounds and the average rounds are almost never a product of bad irons. Unfortunately, my lack of confidence in my current set doesn’t set me up for success.

I want to learn more about these and I’m hoping for a demo day soon enough.

I hear you. My old gamers never stood a chance. I brought the 5 iron with me the first two range sessions, but they’ve since been collecting dust in the corner.

I’ve put all of my effort into working with the Blueprint irons. But sadly I think I’ll have to part ways with them at least for a short time. I am going to get ahold of PING and see what my options are for getting the lie flattened, and maybe add another 1 or .5 on the swingweight scale.

They just feel a bit upright, and I feel like I need to stand up straight, don’t like that.

I hear you. My old gamers never stood a chance. I brought the 5 iron with me the first two range sessions, but they’ve since been collecting dust in the corner.

I’ve put all of my effort into working with the Blueprint irons. But sadly I think I’ll have to part ways with them at least for a short time. I am going to get ahold of PING and see what my options are for getting the lie flattened, and maybe add another 1 or .5 on the swingweight scale.

They just feel a bit upright, and I feel like I need to stand up straight, don’t like that.

I think that's smart. They will adjust it no problem - they are really great about that. I ordered mine with specific swing weight and they hit it perfectly. Makes a huge difference.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Regarding forged blades in general, and the opposite spectrum of MPF, where do these rank?  The i500 forged are a "188", Mizuno MP-18's are "135", and Hogan Ft. Worth's are "90" (WHAAT?). I couldn't find a rating for the BluePrints... how much lower can an iron design go and not enter into the niche market? 

That shocks me on the i500 - iBlades are higher - in fact, every Ping iron listed is higher! According that scale Titleist MB's are more forgiving!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

That shocks me on the i500 - iBlades are higher - in fact, every Ping iron listed is higher! According that scale Titleist MB's are more forgiving!

I find that MPF odd on a lot of the clubs. There are a few they just don’t fit where they put them.

If hey add the Blueprint’s I bet they’ll be near the iBlade.

I find that MPF odd on a lot of the clubs. There are a few they just don’t fit where they put them.

Across the board, the PING scores made me do a double take. Mizuno JPX also scored quite well.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. When I hit them side by side - I couldn't honestly tell much difference in terms of forgiveness.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

13 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Well, to the best of my knowledge, MPF is purely a calculation based number - not even robot ball flight data, which, I believe, would make the rating less controversial.  Hopefully this coming winter, one of the PING demos will have the BP's available for test.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, MPF is purely a calculation based number - not even robot ball flight data, which, I believe, would make the rating less controversial.  Hopefully this coming winter, one of the PING demos will have the BP's available for test.

You are absolutely right. I have seen some interesting articles proposing some changes to the formula or a completely new one. Without actual testing it seems a bit arbitrary even if it is meant to not be. That said, I've always been a "feel" player which is COMPLETELY arbitrary so what do I know!

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer