Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

How much of a flight gap (estimated) can you do with the same iron? For example how low/high can you flight a 3 iron?  If there was a grill on the course, I'd ask you to bounce a 6 iron off it with a ball into a trash can

MDGolfHacker

Oh man.

Anywhere from just over head high to a big moon ball.

25 yards in height difference maybe? More or less perhaps.

PW for example I can send a big high cut that goes 110 yards, or send a bullet that is maybe 45’ high that goes 140.

The actual height is just an estimate.

No grills in the course, and not much room in the yard for tricky stuff... but I’ll see what I can do.

You've been gaming these for a while now and your swing is really getting in the groove. Is your confidence through the roof with them yet? Are they now permanently in the bag or are there still doubts about them?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

You've been gaming these for a while now and your swing is really getting in the groove. Is your confidence through the roof with them yet? Are they now permanently in the bag or are there still doubts about them?

They’ve been in the bag mostly from day 1.

I only had a small learning curve with them, I just dropped the TM’s out and put these in. Didn’t give myself a chance to not sharpen my game. I did hit the TM’s at the range, and put them head to head, but in the end the performance was so similar it was a no brainer to keep them in full time.

They do bite when you act up. Definitely forgiving on minor mishits, but I’ve said numerous times “get up there”, a little thin or horizontally missed there is definitely a drop off in ball speed, but nothing worse than the old clubs.

My confidence isn’t through the roof, but knocking on the ceiling tiles... but I think that is more the new swing, and maybe a combo with the irons..? I haven’t had a chance to play as much as I would have liked this summer, new job was a bit more demanding than I was expecting.

I will most likely add something in the 2-3 iron spots that had a touch more forgiveness. The course I’ll be playing doesn’t really call for many long iron shots, aside from the tee. I’ll save the butter knives for a dried out summer day, or when I make it to Scotland/Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Everyone - I have a few moments for a small update. As I’ve said in other threads I am swamped with more than I can handle right now....

... But I vow to get a round in this week and get an update for you all. I think it will be good coming off a few “bye weeks”, to see if I have lost any confidence with the irons.

We have another work outing planned for Mid October, and I plan on winning that one just like the last, so I’ll have to get some practice in.

I just cleaned them (no that they needed it) but I’ve got the itch to throw some divots.

Main focus this week will be the bounce back ability of myself with a blade.

Work meeting tomorrow. I’ll have to stay overnight, and it just so happens there is a course at the hotel...

The test is going to be straight up against my previous set, prepping for the tournament on Friday. Ok it’s just a scramble, but I still want to win.

I don’t see the Blueprint’s getting taken out of the bag, but I am doing a one for one shot on the course. Mano a mano.

IMG_6350.thumb.JPG.07fd5e5379ee2fa2e897ce84777b0262.JPG

What were the results here? I didn’t see it in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

What were the results here? I didn’t see it in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah. Blueprint’s stayed in the bag.

I definitely noticed a sound/feel difference. The Blueprint irons felt like a solid chunk of metal smashing into a ball... go figure right?

The TM’s to me have a great feel, unique to anything I’ve hit prior to or after owning them. Mostly in the irons with the speed slot, it’s a soft feeling. That’s the 3-7 iron, 8-P doesn’t have the slot and they feel more like a solid piece of metal, even though they are a CB. I really like the feel of these, so much that even some forged clubs feel clicky and hard to me.

Blueprints are on the firm side, but you get the reverberations you’d expect from smacking a piece of urethane covered rubber with a smashed together piece of metal. Paired with a PV1, it’s a hard combo to beat... feel wise.

I will say that distances in the shorter irons are fairly equal, but when I moved up to the 4,3,2 iron I’m not sure there is a huge distance gap between them all.

No way to know unless I walk out on the range, or hit numerous balls out in the fairway. I’ll remember to take note of this next round.

I don’t see the Blueprint’s coming out of the bag, at least the 5 iron - Wedge.

On 9/23/2019 at 5:50 AM, Shankster said:

I don’t see the Blueprint’s coming out of the bag, at least the 5 iron - Wedge.

Maybe time for a name change "Pingster" 😉.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Maybe time for a name change "Pingster" .  

Nah. I like my carriage maker surname from days gone by.

Thought about Shanksenstein for Halloween though.

Thanksgiving is definitely HappyShanksGiving.

Then for Christmas time it could be Shanksthehalls.

Valentine’s Day... Shanksentine.

4th of July... IndeShanksendce Day.

I’m sure I could come up with some more, but Son’s birthday is tomorrow; the BIG 1 1. So I’ll be tied up with cake, and whatever else the big man wants to do.

Planning on Sunday to take the Blueprints out for a stroll.

️ Update:

Went to play 9 today and there were 5 groups backed up on the first tee...

So I hit 4 buckets of range balls instead. It has been a long time by standards since I swung a club.

First thought was, dannnngggg these things feel good, even with range rocks.

Second was, dannnnnnnggggg I can still hit them.

Still working the one(ish) plane swing. I think taking a little extended break was good, as my mishits were small, and not often. But I did notice that my takeaway gets a bit quick, and that’s when the Captain Hooks show up.

Had about a 10mph crosswind that would exaggerate a fade, I was able to hold draws up in the wind, even over draw some through the wind.

Flip side of that I could also keep them straight, and control the fade.

After a good warm up I “played” the course through the bag.

Driver, 2 iron, Wedge. And so on.

The short game area was occupied by a father son duo, so I skipped that today.

One more check in the box for me, it’s like riding a bike.

These Blueprints are really trying to get some more PING brethren in the bag, I can hear them talking to me... whispering sweet G410 Plus, and Glide Forged Wedges nothings in my ear... and I think I heard G410 2 Hybrid too... and probably something that sounded like Hoof R 14...?

Point being, these are top quality, along with the rest of the PING gear.

I’ll get a round in soon. Tournament in 2 weeks.

And.... I think we are due for an updated photo shoot.

First tourney win for the Blueprints !

Cameron Champ WITB:

DRIVER: Ping G410 LST (9 degrees), with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5 TX shaft

FAIRWAY WOOD: Ping G410 LST (17.5 degrees), with Project X HZRDUS Black 85X shaft

IRONS: Ping i500 (4), i210 (4), Blueprint (5-PW), with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts

WEDGES: Ping Glide Forged (52, 56 degrees), TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe (60 degrees), with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts

PUTTER: Ping PLD Tyne CS

BALL: Srixon Z-Star XV

GRIPS: Lamkin UTX

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

First tourney win for the Blueprints !
Cameron Champ WITB:

DRIVER: Ping G410 LST (9 degrees), with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5 TX shaft

FAIRWAY WOOD: Ping G410 LST (17.5 degrees), with Project X HZRDUS Black 85X shaft

IRONS: Ping i500 (4), i210 (4), Blueprint (5-PW), with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts

WEDGES: Ping Glide Forged (52, 56 degrees), TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe (60 degrees), with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts

PUTTER: Ping PLD Tyne CS

BALL: Srixon Z-Star XV

GRIPS: Lamkin UTX

It was a heck of a weekend for PING. Won on the PGA, won the Dunhill, and won on the Champions Tour.

I’ve noticed an uptick in the Blueprint usage. I can’t deny, these things do give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Working on a good photo op for these. But another busy week this week might slow me down a little.

I will say my favorite club is the 2 iron. Love hitting that thing.

It was a heck of a weekend for PING. Won on the PGA, won the Dunhill, and won on the Champions Tour.

I’ve noticed an uptick in the Blueprint usage. I can’t deny, these things do give me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Working on a good photo op for these. But another busy week this week might slow me down a little.

The fact that your favorite iron is the 2 iron is all the proof I need to determine you have severe mental health issues. Please seek help soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The fact that your favorite iron is the 2 iron is all the proof I need to determine you have severe mental health issues. Please seek help soon.

Probably so. But... honestly it’s the club I hit the best. Not sure what the deal is, but it just goes.

High, low, medium... pure 17.5° goodness.

I should do a one club challenge with it....?

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

This belongs in the MGS HOF. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Probably so. But... honestly it’s the club I hit the best. Not sure what the deal is, but it just goes.

I should do a one club challenge with it....?

That’s awesome. I love that feeling when something clicks with your equipment. Definitely something you won’t want to give up anytime soon.

Although I can’t say mine has happened with even a mid-iron... and I’ve never owned a 2 iron! I guess that’s the ultimate proof the guys at MGS chose the correct person for this test!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

That’s awesome. I love that feeling when something clicks with your equipment. Definitely something you won’t want to give up anytime soon.

Although I can’t say mine has happened with even a mid-iron... and I’ve never owned a 2 iron! I guess that’s the ultimate proof the guys at MGS chose the correct person for this test!

I used to have an old PING 1 iron I used as my driver for a good bit of time.

I’d give a Blueprint 1 iron a go, I imagine it would be around 15°-15.5° of wholesome 8620 Forged Grain Steel. Breakfast of champions.

I think it was an ISI 1 iron, which was 15.5°... loved that thing.

As far as the correct person...? Not sure about that, but I still am shocked even 3 months later. Another testament as to why this place is the bees knees!

I still play my MP 14 1 iron occasionally - it's the same loft as the Blueprint 2 iron I think but I have always hit that club well. My issue now is speed - I don't have enough speed to get out of a 1 iron what I should even if I do hit it solid. That said I'm really enjoying the 2 Crossover - great club. I think I'm going to order some more Blueprints. I'm doing the 8 iron for sure but I'm considering 6 and 7 as well.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I still play my MP 14 1 iron occasionally - it's the same loft as the Blueprint 2 iron I think but I have always hit that club well. My issue now is speed - I don't have enough speed to get out of a 1 iron what I should even if I do hit it solid. That said I'm really enjoying the 2 Crossover - great club. I think I'm going to order some more Blueprints. I'm doing the 8 iron for sure but I'm considering 6 and 7 as well.

I had an offline conversation with Stud about that same thing not long ago. I don’t see any performance loss in those mid irons over my CB’s.

The look of the Blueprint is more “professional” at address, by that I mean it looks like they took a lot of time to build them.... and they did. Very tidy look. Simplistic, Historic and futuristic all in one package.

As time goes by the shape, and finish are really growing on me. For the Blueprint players I hope this isn’t a one off club and they continue to refine it in the future.

I had an offline conversation with Stud about that same thing not long ago. I don’t see any performance loss in those mid irons over my CB’s.

The look of the Blueprint is more “professional” at address, by that I mean it looks like they took a lot of time to build them.... and they did. Very tidy look. Simplistic, Historic and futuristic all in one package.

As time goes by the shape, and finish are really growing on me. For the Blueprint players I hope this isn’t a one off club and they continue to refine it in the future.

It's funny - when I first saw the Blueprints I thought it was the perfect club for me because they were 1) a blade and 2) they were made by ping. I have always loved Ping (the first equipment company I fell in love with) but since having my first set of blades, have always thought blades were superior. I would vacillate between blades and Ping so the Blueprint was a match made in heaven. The problem for me was that I was really enjoying the i500's and thought I would be giving up to much. After playing the 9 and PW, I can tell you that the Blueprint irons are amazing. The size is a bit intimidating at first but now I love it - it somehow makes it more likely to hit it solid and it feels more solid behind the ball - something akin to Baby Blades. I honestly feel like a blended set of the Blueprint and i500 are the perfect set of irons. We will see what the ultimate blend is through a bit more testing.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

It's funny - when I first saw the Blueprints I thought it was the perfect club for me because they were 1) a blade and 2) they were made by ping. I have always loved Ping (the first equipment company I fell in love with) but since having my first set of blades, have always thought blades were superior. I would vacillate between blades and Ping so the Blueprint was a match made in heaven. The problem for me was that I was really enjoying the i500's and thought I would be giving up to much. After playing the 9 and PW, I can tell you that the Blueprint irons are amazing. The size is a bit intimidating at first but now I love it - it somehow makes it more likely to hit it solid and it feels more solid behind the ball - something akin to Baby Blades. I honestly feel like a blended set of the Blueprint and i500 are the perfect set of irons. We will see what the ultimate blend is through a bit more testing.

I really like Champ’s set up. 5-PW Blueprint, 4 iron iBlade, 3 iron i500 I believe. Seems like a perfect transition. Would even be good with 4-5 iBlade.

But you are right. They look pretty darned good at address... and the feel is like nothing I’ve hit before. The whole face feels the same (inside the grooves) and not super thin or high on the blade.

Can’t wait to hear about your set up.

I am thinking about going to get fit for a G410 Driver real soon.

On 10/1/2019 at 10:39 AM, Shankster said:

I should do a one club challenge with it....? emoji15.png

YES!!! I would almost pay to see that!

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

YES!!! I would almost pay to see that!

Challenge accepted. I am going to try for a round this weekend. First three holes. I’ll play 2 balls, normal. Then 2 iron all the way.

It’s a Par 5, short Par 4, and an over 150 yard par 3. It will be a heck of a challenge for sure.

Edit: and the par 3 is over water...

On 9/30/2019 at 5:37 PM, Shankster said:

For the Blueprint players I hope this isn’t a one off club and they continue to refine it in the future.

With MGS being mandatory reading for PING's Engineering & Marketing groups, this should never happen 😉.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Challenge accepted. I am going to try for a round this weekend. First three holes. I’ll play 2 balls, normal. Then 2 iron all the way.

It’s a Par 5, short Par 4, and an over 150 yard par 3. It will be a heck of a challenge for sure.

Edit: and the par 3 is over water...

We will need a vlog for this. Shakey phone camera accepted.

6 hours ago, Shankster said:

Edit: and the par 3 is over water... emoji51.png

Excellent, can't wait to see how you manipulate that butter knife 😁😎

I really like Champ’s set up. 5-PW Blueprint, 4 iron iBlade, 3 iron i500 I believe. Seems like a perfect transition. Would even be good with 4-5 iBlade.

But you are right. They look pretty darned good at address... and the feel is like nothing I’ve hit before. The whole face feels the same (inside the grooves) and not super thin or high on the blade.

Can’t wait to hear about your set up.

I am thinking about going to get fit for a G410 Driver real soon.

I think Champ actually has 2 4 irons: i500 and iBlade before transitioning into the Blueprint 5-PW. What caught my eye about that is I had similar thoughts myself. When the Blueprint irons came to retail, I thought I would do 7-PW but the difference in size between the 7 Blueprint and the 6 i500 has pretty big and it was a bit off-putting. The other issue I had was the difference in loft. I honestly think 6-PW (power spec) would blend in the best with the i500 4-5 if I add more. That said, I went 9-PW because I could get the lofts the same so I had no issues. I wish I could play them and put them through their paces on the golf course before putting out the money - they are expensive rascals. I need to order the 8 iron this week and re-shaft some PM Grind wedges I just bought for a song. I got a barely used 54 and 60 for $100 and so far they are promising. I have one round in with them and I missed 5 greens Monday and got up and down all five times - good stuff. Anyway, I'm probably going to order the Blueprint irons one club at a time and see how each one works and try to determine the blend that way.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I just saw where Victor Perez, who won the Alfred Dunhill Links, carries a blended set as well: 4-6 iBlade, 7-PW Blueprint. That would be a pretty amazing set in terms of size and lofts. Great weekend for Ping as has already been mentioned.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 2 weeks later...

Played today with an older couple, I was only planning on playing 9, they asked me to play all 18 with them because I was playing so well.

Pretty sure they hit all but 1 fairway each all day. Pretty good outing.

These things continue to impress me, but I need to find a good ball combo with it. The PV1 spins way too much, so much that I had 60 yard pitch and runs just pitch and stop with the Wedge.

Here’s some stats for you DLK.

IMG_6519.JPG