TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

Looks like rain tomorrow for the work outing.

What timing. With all of the talk about wet golf club performance, this will be a good test. If they are anything like the i200’s I don’t think there will be anything I can fault them on.

I obviously won’t have any trackman data, but the old eye test will work just fine.

With the potential for softer conditions, it will also be the first time I get to see how they work in the muck.

Here’s what PING says about the finish, sole, and turf interaction.

IMG_6524.PNG

Today’s event was... eventful. Light rain to a down pour. I came up short on my misses today after the rain started. I’d say a club short. It was also pretty windy.

Another scramble with some weird rules. We ended up with a 82, but I was on pace to shoot in the lower 70’s. Had to use a shot from each player of the 2 person team, my partner never played golf before, so a 82 is pretty darn good.

As far as the rain defending ability of these, I would say it works. I just had a hard time adjusting to the wind and the rain.

Each round out I am improving with my iron play. Today the driver let me down twice, which is way better than I am used to.

I’ll be wrapping up my review in a few weeks, so if you have any questions I haven’t answered please post them so I can get them answered for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Got a really good friend that is thinking hard about these.... he's about a 3hc and played the Nike VR Pros; he really liked the looks and shape of these... hopefully he goes with these over the Titleist ones he's considering. I think that he'll really like them.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Got a really good friend that is thinking hard about these.... he's about a 3hc and played the Nike VR Pros; he really liked the looks and shape of these... hopefully he goes with these over the Titleist ones he's considering. I think that he'll really like them.

I haven’t hit the 620’s or whatever they are called. But I’d pick these Blueprints over the 718’s all day.

I think these are catching on a lot, they are so forgiving it almost feels like cheating.

So they are forgiving blades that look amazing and generate prodigious spin 😍

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yes Sir. Nailed it.

I even managed to pull a ball off the green with a 7 iron. Not lacking in the spin department... now I just have to figure out how to regulate it better.

Good grief, that's 1980s Greg Norman spin!! I can see a major ball test in your immediate future. May I suggest the Snell MTB X?

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Good grief, that's 1980s Greg Norman spin!! I can see a major ball test in your immediate future. May I suggest the Snell MTB X?

I didn’t get along with them very well.

I am going to test the new Wilson FG Tour.

Also like to get my hands on some of those left dash V1x’s... but how?

From what I’ve noticed if I use a lower spinning ball it doesn’t really change much with the irons, still a ton of spin, but I lose spin on the wedges. AVX is the example here. So that is a lose / lose there.

The BStone Tour B’s are too spinny too...

Dang.

I have no idea what to use. I guess I’ll just have to play for aiming at the flag with everything except long irons. But heck, I even stopped a 2 hybrid in 8’ on a green.

Maybe a lower spinning shaft?

Hopefully I can narrow this down when I go get these Blueprints a cousin or 4 to add in the bag. Starting with the big one.

How are they holding up in the wear category?  I don't think the newer generation PING's are made from the Kryptonite alloys of the past (I think you could do a roofing job with PE2's and hardly notice wear 😄), but I'm impressed thus far with the G410's. One other thing about the Hydropearl Finish is that PING has acknowledged the 1.0 (G400 irons) had some issues and that's what bore out their revised process. I suspect it was related to passivation (or lack thereof), making them susceptible to staining.   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

How are they holding up in the wear category?  I don't think the newer generation PING's are made from the Kryptonite alloys of the past (I think you could do a roofing job with PE2's and hardly notice wear ), but I'm impressed thus far with the G410's. One other thing about the Hydropearl Finish is that PING has acknowledged the 1.0 (G400 irons) had some issues and that's what bore out their revised process. I suspect it was related to passivation (or lack thereof), making them susceptible to staining.   

It is holding up extremely well on these. The soles scratch easily if there is even a hint of sand. Faces are holding up well. I am noticing a little starburst like pattern even though I wash the range balls when I used them. I’ll try to snag a picture if I can get the lighting right.

Being Forged 8620 then ding super easy... almost too easy really. I wanted these to be the forever club, but I don’t think I could get much more than 5 years without having to replace them at the current amount I am playing... maybe, only time will tell.

That’s where PING needs to keep this type of iron in their lineup. When I say they are forgiving, I truly mean it. For a blade they are stupid forgiving. They definitely hit the mark with these. Now just don’t mess them up.... or stop making them all together.

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

That’s where PING needs to keep this type of iron in their lineup. When I say they are forgiving, I truly mean it. For a blade they are stupid forgiving. They definitely hit the mark with these. Now just don’t mess them up.... or stop making them all together.

PING Blueprint and forgiving are two words I would have never thought to share a sentence 😎.

I don’t have any questions that haven’t already been addressed.

I just want to say thanks for digging in on this review and giving me a legitimate reason for considering these irons next season.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I don’t have any questions that haven’t already been addressed.

I just want to say thanks for digging in on this review and giving me a legitimate reason for considering these irons next season.

Definitely. I’m glad you pulled some useful information out of it all. I think you’ll enjoy them even if they don’t end up in your bag. Very distinct feel and ball flight.

Definitely. I’m glad you pulled some useful information out of it all. I think you’ll enjoy them even if they don’t end up in your bag. Very distinct feel and ball flight.

Honestly, I never would have considered them. Narrow toe to heel and blade are characteristics of clubs that I would have played yesteryear.

I’m entering next season with an open mind. Anything is welcome to join my bag when it comes to irons and wedges.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Honestly, I never would have considered them. Narrow toe to heel and blade are characteristics of clubs that I would have played yesteryear.

I’m entering next season with an open mind. Anything is welcome to join my bag when it comes to irons and wedges.

They aren’t that much smaller than my previous set heel to toe. Mostly from top line to sole is the only real obvious difference and it isn’t much.

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

They aren’t that much smaller than my previous set heel to toe. Mostly from top line to sole is the only real obvious difference and it isn’t much.

Only one way for me to find out 😁

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

35 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I'll bet they are no smaller than PE2's... which look like teaspoons compared to most modern clubs - of all categories.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

True. They are a wee bit smaller than those.

So I was gaming "Playaz Clubs" for over 30 years 😎.

• 3 weeks later...

After round update:

With Arcos I am seeing a bunch of “bunching” with my distance gaps. I normally don’t take a full swing with my clubs, but man it seems like the mid irons all go 150-160 yards, and the short irons all go 110-130... then the long irons are all bunched at 195-205. You can see the issue there. I’ll have to do some testing to see if I am taking a club much and easing up on it...

It was cold and windy today, everything was coming up short.

Since beginning this test I’ve grown more and more attached to these irons. Every round I learn something new about them. The feel is really growing on me.

A few more weeks before I publish the Stage 2, I was delayed a bit from work... but I haven’t forgotten about my duty to provide you all a review! Trust me I would much rather talk about these kind of Blueprints than the ones I am dealing with at work.

I’ll send out a last call for questions in a week or so.

Stay tuned... the one club challenge is still going to happen!

Looks like you have some company Alan...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

After watching Rick’s video there, I’ll add my thoughts on distance control.

Last round out I had the course to myself. So I parked at the 130 range and took aim with the 9 iron. Left and right was all me, but the distance was all within a few yards.

I’ll even use a Rick word to describe them.

Superb.

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

After watching Rick’s video there, I’ll add my thoughts on distance control.

Last round out I had the course to myself. So I parked at the 130 range and took aim with the 9 iron. Left and right was all me, but the distance was all within a few yards.

I’ll even use a Rick word to describe them.

Superb.

Pretty dang impressive looking at how consistent they are.

Left to Right dispersion can be fixed; long/short much harder to fix.  

Besides that these are just absolutely gorgeous to look at.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

On 11/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, Shankster said:

After round update:

With Arcos I am seeing a bunch of “bunching” with my distance gaps. I normally don’t take a full swing with my clubs, but man it seems like the mid irons all go 150-160 yards, and the short irons all go 110-130... then the long irons are all bunched at 195-205. You can see the issue there. I’ll have to do some testing to see if I am taking a club much and easing up on it...

It was cold and windy today, everything was coming up short.

Since beginning this test I’ve grown more and more attached to these irons. Every round I learn something new about them. The feel is really growing on me.

A few more weeks before I publish the Stage 2, I was delayed a bit from work... but I haven’t forgotten about my duty to provide you all a review! Trust me I would much rather talk about these kind of Blueprints than the ones I am dealing with at work.

I’ll send out a last call for questions in a week or so.

Stay tuned... the one club challenge is still going to happen!

How many rounds have you had now? I had a bunching issue on Arccos with my Cobras when I first started but it's nicely spread now and I would imagine the same will happen with you 😁😎

This is a nice thread to read through. The blueprints are amazing irons. I wish I had the coin for a fit set. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, today I’ll be getting 18 in before the sun sets unless the course is jammed up. It will be the last time I get to play before the Stage 2 goes up.

As long as the course isn’t busy, I’ll do the 3 hole, 2 iron challenge. I’ll shoot to take a video, if not I will put up the Arccos hole by hole map.

Par 5, short par 4, and a 170 yard par 3 over water....

It has been a pleasure talking with you all about these beautiful wrenches.

Last call, Last call for questions!

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen, today I’ll be getting 18 in before the sun sets unless the course is jammed up. It will be the last time I get to play before the Stage 2 goes up.

As long as the course isn’t busy, I’ll do the 3 hole, 2 iron challenge. I’ll shoot to take a video, if not I will put up the Arccos hole by hole map.

Par 5, short par 4, and a 170 yard par 3 over water....

It has been a pleasure talking with you all about these beautiful wrenches.

Last call, Last call for questions!

Oh boy, I have been dying to see or hear about this three hole challenge 🤩😁