TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

The blueprints are a great iron. They are small and thin but surprisingly forgiving for what they are. Would love to own a set. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Just finished reading my way through the entire thread.  Lovely read.  😎

I admit I am biased, having a Ram Tour Grind (among others) habit...

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Just finished reading my way through the entire thread.  Lovely read.  
I admit I am biased, having a Ram Tour Grind (among others) habit...

Thanks for reading. And I’m glad you got some substance out of it.

My first clubs were some ancient Wilson Blades, I loved them... but there is nothing like these new blades out.

I wouldn’t be scared to hit these in near freezing temps. You’d have to pay me to hit a 70’s/80’s and maybe even 90’s blade any more.

I had access to a barn full of old clubs, so I am sure I hit some Ram Tour Grinds, I remember using a Ram Driver and had a bucket load of Ram golf balls.

I’d call my self a modern traditionalist, I don’t like big huge clubs, from the driver on down. These fit the bill nicely. (I think the stage 2 says that exact same thing).

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

Thanks for reading. And I’m glad you got some substance out of it.

My first clubs were some ancient Wilson Blades, I loved them... but there is nothing like these new blades out.

I wouldn’t be scared to hit these in near freezing temps. You’d have to pay me to hit a 70’s/80’s and maybe even 90’s blade any more.

I had access to a barn full of old clubs, so I am sure I hit some Ram Tour Grinds, I remember using a Ram Driver and had a bucket load of Ram golf balls.

I’d call my self a modern traditionalist, I don’t like big huge clubs, from the driver on down. These fit the bill nicely. (I think the stage 2 says that exact same thing).

Thinking a bit more about your review comments, especially about bounce.

There are a few blades out there with bounce, but not that many.  Hogan and Mizuno irons both have a fair bit of bounce in some of their models, I'm not sure who was first, but guessing Hogan, based on Larry Bobka comments regarding Tiger's first Titleist irons.  Have a set of Mizuno MS-11s, which range from 5* to 7* in the 3-9 irons, and 8* in the PW.  It's not that much compared to the Blueprints, but in their time, it's rather a lot, LOL. 

I found in using those Mizunos how much I liked having that extra bounce, which I'd increased by bending the set to 21*-49* in the 3-PW (they have same specs as MP29).  It plays quite well for me in a great many conditions.  My swing is a bit steeper than some, thanks to somewhat shortish arms, and the bounce can be a bit handy.  After picking up a set of MP37s this past summer, I rediscovered the joy of that bounce (the 37s range from 5*-7*).

The relative lack of bounce is the only real complaint I might have about the Ram Tour Grinds I've attached myself to.  Even the last couple iterations, the FX Nickels and TG-898s, don't have much, if any, bounce.

Bounce is our friend.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• STUDque unpinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

I've really only got one main question. After playing the Blueprints for several months, are you scores lower with them than what they replaced? For me that is really the only metric that matters.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I've really only got one main question. After playing the Blueprints for several months, are you scores lower with them than what they replaced? For me that is really the only metric that matters.

I went through a rough patch where my swing was so bad I had thought about giving up the game... I was hitting the 9 iron 90 yards maxed out. It wasn’t pretty, not really sure what was going on, but that’s gone now.

Overall, I think my scores are about the same as with the old clubs. Mid to high 70’s, some 80’s on an “off” day.

The only thing I really notice a difference on are the severe miss hits. My Taylormade clubs have the first generation of the speed slot, so there is a bit of help there on the thin shots, that’s where I notice it.

And the second main question is how much bag envy do your playing partners have?! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

And the second main question is how much bag envy do your playing partners have?! Haha

I really don’t play with anyone.

But the few times I was paired up with people they had all sorts of questions.

Had a Titleist MB guy try them. Guy was a scratch or better player, and he hated them compared to his Titleist. His were 2° flat of standard, so probably around 3.5° flat of mine

I really don’t play with anyone.

But the few times I was paired up with people they had all sorts of questions.

Had a Titleist MB guy try them. Guy was a scratch or better player, and he hated them compared to his Titleist. His were 2° flat of standard, so probably around 3.5° flat of mine

Yeah 3.5 degrees would be enough to not let you make a good comparison haha.

When I picked up the blueprints at the store I felt like the sole was too thin and looked like I would dig to China on a slightly soggy fairway, but man do they look great.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Yeah 3.5 degrees would be enough to not let you make a good comparison haha.

When I picked up the blueprints at the store I felt like the sole was too thin and looked like I would dig to China on a slightly soggy fairway, but man do they look great.

I’ve have the opposite experience on the course.

So much bounce on these things. I’m a steep swing guy, so they work out well for me. I do wish the bounce was just a touch less. Old set had 9° on the PW.

These do the trick in the mushy stuff. Haven’t had them in any really hard stuff yet.

I’ve have the opposite experience on the course.

So much bounce on these things. I’m a steep swing guy, so they work out well for me. I do wish the bounce was just a touch less. Old set had 9° on the PW.

These do the trick in the mushy stuff. Haven’t had them in any really hard stuff yet.

Oh wow. Great insight there! Wouldn’t have expected that, but I never really did look at the bounce specs either.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Guy was a scratch or better player, and he hated them compared to his Titleist.

Titleist guys have a hard time stepping up to the ultimate level in "player classic"  😆.  Funny thing is that MPF lists both the i210 and i500's as less forgiving 🤔.  I recently hit all of these at a PING Demo and found both the i210 and i500 much easier to hit that the BP's.  Those who have stated that the MPF system is kau-ka might be onto something.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_PING.pdf

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

21 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Titleist guys have a hard time stepping up to the ultimate level in "player classic"  😆.  Funny thing is that MPF lists both the i210 and i500's as less forgiving 🤔.  I recently hit all of these at a PING Demo and found both the i210 and i500 much easier to hit that the BP's.  Those who have stated that the MPF system is kau-ka might be onto something.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_PING.pdf

If you're seeking comparative forgiveness, look at MOI, don't look at the final MPF score.  MOI is a measure of resistance to twisting, which is the reason for perimeter weighting.  It's as close to an actual measure of actual forgiveness as one could get. (IMHO)

The final MPF number is really just a score of how close that design is to Ralph Matlby's design principles, which are low CG, far from the hosel.  

• 1 month later...

Stage 2 up... my apologies for the delay everyone. As soon as the wind/rain and monsters go away I’ll get you some on course photos.

I’ve Had it done since November, but was waiting for a few more rounds to wrap this up. Winter came, then COVID.

Best -

Alan

heres the link: 

Edited by Shankster
Added link

41 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Stage 2 up... my apologies for the delay everyone. As soon as the wind/rain and monsters go away I’ll get you some on course photos.

I’ve Had it done since November, but was waiting for a few more rounds to wrap this up. Winter came, then COVID.

Best -

Alan

heres the link: 

Well @Shankster stage two did not disappoint, it would have been easy for you to wax lyrical about these but you managed to find flaws, albeit tiny ones. They really are gorgeous and I would love to try them. I look forward to following you as you wear out the grooves 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great stuff Alan! Will they be staying In your bag or do you have you eyes on a lower bounce design?

It looks like they have held up really well to a season of play.

Great stuff Alan! Will they be staying In your bag or do you have you eyes on a lower bounce design?

It looks like they have held up really well to a season of play.

Yes the did hold up much better than I thought. I was worried about the finish. The i200’s finish I didn’t care for at all, but they got it figured out.

Yeah, they are going to stay in the bag. When things calm down I do want to take them up to the nearest PING fitter and have them checked and adjusted to my swing. And maybe some different shafts and grips.

Probably go a degree or two strong in loft or whatever tolerances PING suggests to get rid of a little of the bounce.

Well [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] stage two did not disappoint, it would have been easy for you to wax lyrical about these but you managed to find flaws, albeit tiny ones. They really are gorgeous and I would love to try them. I look forward to following you as you wear out the grooves

Thanks. I was probably a little nicer than I should have been on that bounce.... but they were designed with tour players in mind, and the course conditions they play on. I imagine if I was hitting off a runway of a fairway I wouldn’t have a snagging issue like I do on our local course.

I forgot to add this in, but these are priced fairly for the product you get. Well built, well designed. My initial thoughts on the price vanished when I saw the quality of them.... but I think you’d have to be a PING player to truly enjoy the finish and the bounce.

Put these up against other blades it’s hard to say which would be chosen more on a blind test.

• 2 months later...

The Blueprint PW is battling it out with the potential dethroner going on in the RTX Zipcore review thread. 

In all honesty I’ve had these benched for the last two rounds. Today... may have changed all that!

I was only using the PW’s, but the feel... ball flight... and feel... and ball flight... oh, did I mention feel?

If I put these back in the bag, I will be walking only, can’t get that nasty bag chatter, and undue wear from getting bashed around in the cart bag.  Because apparently iron covers aren’t cool. 🤦🏼‍♂️

And... if they go back in I am going to need to revamp the top end. But my golf budget went to the fishing budget... torn.

• 3 weeks later...

A guy has to know his limits....

Being selected to test these Blueprints was like earning a tour card for me.  They are such a good golf club, and I enjoyed every last second using them.  

Last Friday I parted ways with these, (I asked Stud to make sure we were not breaking any rules). ZIPR23 and I worked out a deal to swap the Blueprints for the T-100s.  They are staying in the MGS family.  And I’d expect to see some movement in this thread again at some point, and hopefully he can get us a new recruit.

With my current pace at work, my golf has been diminished.  Being that he wasn’t going to bag the T100s I thought I’d see if ZIPR23 wanted to swap clubs (thinking he’d say no, but he agreed, and made me put my money where my mouth is), and I could use a little help with my game....  it was like parting ways with an old friend... 😢

These beautiful irons would have sat in the corner of the Shanks Haus for an eternity.  Rather than hoarding such unicorns, hopefully they will get some use.

Thank you everyone for following along.  And thanks to ZIPR23 for agreeing to trade.  A true gentleman.  I’ll have a T100s review up after a few rounds.

🏼

16 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Being selected to test these Blueprints was like earning a tour card for me.  They are such a good golf club, and I enjoyed every last second using them.  

Last Friday I parted ways with these, (I asked Stud to make sure we were not breaking any rules). ZIPR23 and I worked out a deal to swap the Blueprints for the T-100s.  They are staying in the MGS family.  And I’d expect to see some movement in this thread again at some point, and hopefully he can get us a new recruit.

With my current pace at work, my golf has been diminished.  Being that he wasn’t going to bag the T100s I thought I’d see if ZIPR23 wanted to swap clubs (thinking he’d say no, but he agreed, and made me put my money where my mouth is), and I could use a little help with my game....  it was like parting ways with an old friend... 😢

These beautiful irons would have sat in the corner of the Shanks Haus for an eternity.  Rather than hoarding such unicorns, hopefully they will get some use.

Thank you everyone for following along.  And thanks to ZIPR23 for agreeing to trade.  A true gentleman.  I’ll have a T100s review up after a few rounds.

🏼

Very nice good luck with the 100s! Can’t wait to see both your thoughts on each respective set

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

🏼

How close were you two when it came to shafts?

Alan hit me up and offered to trade for his Blueprints. I honestly didn't want to do another test of irons, as Srixon's are just too good for me. However after contemplating it for a couple of days I had an epiphany. Shane, my "golf wife" of over 20 years has owned 2 sets of clubs during his 40+ year playing career and on top of that he told me a week prior that he was thinking of Ping irons. So I accepted the trade and gifted the blueprints to him. And while they are not technically in the MGS family, they are and forever will be on a leash attached to me. I am not sure I can convince him to join, but I plan on getting something, interview, thoughts etc. to add to this thread. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Nowhere near Berlin.

C-Tapers and +.5” on the T100s.  1° flat

Project X LZ 6.0 in the prints. Standard

This isn't where I parked my car.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 2 weeks later...

Shane and I played again on Sunday, and while neither of our swings were great the Blueprints still performed almost exactly how he wanted them to. He is getting a higher launch, about 5 more yards and just rave's about the feel (they do feel great). Overall he is extremely happy, still working on dialing in distances but that is part of the fun. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."