Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019-Official Forum Member Review-PING Blueprint Irons

PING Blueprint Official Review Stage 2

IMG_7711.JPG

My deepest apologies for taking so long to get this up. I had planned on getting some more rounds in earlier this year to get some more information, video and details for you all. These are my thoughts from November below, once I can get out on the course I’ll keep updating this thread till the grooves wear out.

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7715.JPG

Well ladies and gentlemen it’s time to wrap up this review. It has been a very unique and challenging journey. I can’t thank Rob and MyGolfSpy enough for this opportunity, it was like Christmas in July. Every time I look at these things I relive the unboxing over and over.

Let’s get to the good stuff!

LOOKS

IMG_7712.JPG

9.75 out of 10

These things are very nice looking, the check all of the boxes. Compact blade, traditional PING finish, hardly any branding, and no flash. The .25 point deduction is for the ferrules, I think for what you are paying for, something other than a generic black ferrule should be used.

SOUND of MUSIC & FEEL

IMG_7716.JPG

10 out of 10

These irons sing! At first I didn’t know what to make of the sound/feel. They weren’t like anything I had used in the past or tested. Very solid impact feeling. Definitely feels like a solid chuck of metal making contact with rubber and urethane. As I’ve said throughout the review a very unique combination, soft but a medium feel off the face. It is really hard to describe the feel, I’ve hit mostly every blade out there in recent history that isn’t hard to come by and these are just... different, in a PING sort of way.

Basic Characteristics

18 out of 20

I put these through their paces mostly on Bermuda grass, actually... only on Bermuda grass this year. New course, lots of players during the summer months. For accuracy I will say I didn’t start off very good with these, my swing was terrible at the beginning of the summer, and I looked somewhere between Lee Trevino and Ho-sung Choi... just couldn’t get it all to come together. A few months later I found Moe Norman, and that’s when the beautiful sweet baby draws came in. I actually haven’t tried to hit a fade with the irons since... there is no need, they go dead straight or a half yard left. I get the occasional block out to the right, but over all it is take aim and fire.

Distance control is second to none with these, it is incredible. Knocked down shots are a piece of cake, high, medium, low... lower are all easy with these.

For a blade they are ridiculously forgiving, being one of the more compact blades of 2019 they pack a punch. I don’t have any ball speed data, but the distances are better than with my CB’s. And I did have my share of miss hits.

The short irons are where these shine. From the 8-PW it is a laser beam festival. My new favorite shot is a low toe spinner with these. The PW is good for 70-100 yards and massive amounts of spin, 90-115 for the 9 iron and north of 125 for the 8. Just beautiful little draws with that one hop and bite spin on a head hunting trajectory. They are fun. So much that I seldom use any gap or sand wedges any more... gap is 65-80 and sand wedges is for inside 65.

IMG_7718.JPG

The long irons north of the 5 iron are wonderful, takes patience and confidence to hit them, but they are great.

The two point deduction is for the backside of the club getting easily snagged on the Bermuda on takeaway. I don’t get this with my other clubs.

IMG_7728.JPG

On Course Performance

27 out of 30

These are a players club, no way around that. But for me they inspire confidence. I like a compact, small golf club, from driver to putter.

I rarely put myself in a location on the course where I couldn’t attack the flagstick. That is my style of play, it always has been. Back right flag..? Going for it. Front left over a trap..? Going for it. These perform as expected, every time. If I want to dial up a 130 yard 9 iron... it happens.

At the beginning of the season I was playing so badly that I was embarrassed with my game. My outing with Stud was terrible, I considered giving the game up again at that point. My head was getting in the way. I wasn’t hitting the middle regularly at all, so the forgiveness factor of these things was welcomed. Swing was real bad... but the irons did what I told them to do, and at that time it was a low fade, that’s all I could get out of myself.

I played with quite a few different groups later in the year, and as my game got better, so did my shots. The addition of Arcos sensors was a godsend, it gave me the information I need to improve my game. I went from 90’s to low 80’s and eventually back into the 70’s. All while playing a super compact blade.

If I could change a few things about these I would offer the retro spec loft, offer a gap wedge, and have a lower bounce option.

3 point deduction is again for the snagging up on the grass. My biggest issue aside from the finish.

Misc

10 out of 10

PING’s return to the blade was/is a success. Such a beautiful golf club that deserves floored attention than it has gotten. As always the PING customer service was top notch with the delivery.

Play or Trade?

16 out of 20

These are a niche set of irons. The blade with the extra bounce may not fit a lot of people, a solid fitting and not buying them on a whim would be best for these and every iron purchase. The 4 point deduction is for the extra bounce here too.

TOTAL 90.75 out of 100

Summary

Well you made it this far, just in case you skipped over the rest of the thread. These classic beauts sound and feel every bit of a blade, look the part, and walk the walk if you have the ability to make them. The high bounce is unusual for a blade which could deter people with shallower swings. But they rock!!!

Again, I would like to apologize for the delay. You all deserved a quicker Stage 2 from me. Work issues and other things that are far less important than golf got in the way. Stay tuned for future updates!!!

Better pictures will also follow. Haven’t seen a golf course in a while.

Cheers!

Alan

Yeah, I think the number one question is what you’ve listed: did Ping FINALLY make a forged iron that FEELS like a forged iron? Can it compete with Mizuno and others on feel for once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Really curious to see what Shanks has to say about the turf interaction.  Leading edge grabbed a lot during my fitting.  Still a great performer

Great first post and pics, Shanks.  Really hope these find a permanent place in the bag for you.  They seem like everything you have ever posted about since joining here!

Yeah, I think the number one question is what you’ve listed: did Ping FINALLY make a forged iron that FEELS like a forged iron? Can it compete with Mizuno and others on feel for once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have range session and two rounds in right now. And right now I can say yes. They have done it.

Pure.

IMG_5932.JPG

Great first post and pics, Shanks.  Really hope these find a permanent place in the bag for you.  They seem like everything you have ever posted about since joining here!

Thanks Joe. I am going to add some more pictures in the place holder spots, having some spotty service right now with a nice storm. Internet won’t be installed for a few more days.

I agree, they do seem to check the box, in all categories so far.

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have range session and two rounds in right now. And right now I can say yes. They have done it.

Pure.

IMG_5932.JPG

Yup, from my short time with the Blueprint, it was fantastic feeling iron.  So dense.

Does it feel like a Mizuno?  I cant say it does.  It feels premium and forged for sure.  But Mizuno's always feel and sound different to me.  That doesn't mean one is better or worse - just different to my hands and ears

Yup, from my short time with the Blueprint, it was fantastic feeling iron.  So dense.
Does it feel like a Mizuno?  I cant say it does.  It feels premium and forged for sure.  But Mizuno's always feel and sound different to me.  That doesn't mean one is better or worse - just different to my hands and ears

Right. I haven’t hit a mizuno since I tried the 900 Tours. Recently hit every forged blade I could get my hands on at the local demo day.

These just feel a bit different than the others. Hard to explain. Just a great solid thwack.

Maybe the toe weight?

Really curious to see what Shanks has to say about the turf interaction.  Leading edge grabbed a lot during my fitting.  Still a great performer

Turf interaction so far has been beautiful. Especially out of the rough. I think the shape and sole width and the bit of extra bounce for a blade is perfect for my swing. Here’s a 4 iron from around 205 out of the rough.

Snapseed.JPG

This looks great and looking forward to the full review, @Shankster!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Turf interaction so far has been beautiful. Especially out of the rough. I think the shape and sole width and the bit of extra bounce for a blade is perfect for my swing. Here’s a 4 iron from around 205 out of the rough.

Snapseed.JPG

Great to hear.  You are much more steep than I am (I sometimes catch on iron on the upswing) so the leading edge really threw off my strikes.

OM Goodness Shanks! Super huge congrats brada!!! These are hands down some of the sexiest irons on planet earf. Had a chance to hit them at PGATSS and they truly check every box available in the traditional blade space. Can't wait to follow this one!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Wow....

Congrats @Shankster and what a phenomenal opportunity! Great post and I look forward to more....

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Whole-lee crap! What a great match.   Congrats @Shankster!   @Golfspy_CG2, you guys have outdone yourselves again.  PING came to the table to play this year.  Awesome to see their support. 

Alan, with as active as you are, I fully expect to see this thread catch up to the Cobra Connect Challenge in about 3 days.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of creative tests you put these beauties through.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I love when we get surprises like this.  Although these clubs are out of my league I know it will be fun to follow along with you Shankster.  

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Wow Shankster! I'm so pumped for you! Great stuff so far! I will be watching this closely - when I tried them they felt amazing - a bit firmer than some of the JDM blades I have played but definitely a sweet feeling blade and one I would be thrilled to play. I have been considering them myself and I'm interested in how much a difference the toe weight makes in forgiveness. I have read where the idea was to increase MOI due to balancing out the heel weight with the toe weight. I'm interested to see how that impacts playability. What a thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Congratulations @Shankster I am one envious spy. Been considering going back to blades for quite a while now, especially with todays tech in the heads.

I will follow this thread with joy and a smattering of jealousy😉

Great to hear they sound and feel good. Turf interaction is down to the player especially with modern blades, you'll have no turf interaction issues I'm sure.

I'm particularly keen to hear how you get on with the 2 and 3 iron (3 iron has been my fav club for decades, I still use my Titleist tour blade 3 iron thats about 25 years old).

These blueprints have a nice thin topline. Good luck mate.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Congratulations [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] I am one envious spy. Been considering going back to blades for quite a while now, especially with todays tech in the heads.
I will follow this thread with joy and a smattering of jealousy
Great to hear they sound and feel good. Turf interaction is down to the player especially with modern blades, you'll have no turf interaction issues I'm sure.
I'm particularly keen to hear how you get on with the 2 and 3 iron (3 iron has been my fav club for decades, I still use my Titleist tour blade 3 iron thats about 25 years old).
These blueprints have a nice thin topline. Good luck mate.

First two shots with the 2 iron I hit off the toe, and said “why on earth would anyone want to hit this thing?”
Then I started hitting bullets with it. I had a 19° 3 iron in my old set which is 2.5° weaker than the 2 iron PING. I love hitting long irons, these are no slouch. And minimal offset is key!

Whole-lee crap! What a great match.   Congrats [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention]!   [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention], you guys have outdone yourselves again.  PING came to the table to play this year.  Awesome to see their support. 
Alan, with as active as you are, I fully expect to see this thread catch up to the Cobra Connect Challenge in about 3 days.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of creative tests you put these beauties through.

Thanks! Not sure about 3 days, that one is on fire.

Already put them and myself through a pressure test. I was paired up with 3 other gents I never met last time out... you guys saw the results. 47 on the front because of some mistakes. Then I was 4 up on the back over the other fellas with a 38.

Oh, and that almost ace of mine... 6 iron Blueprint!

Playing some of my best golf... ever with these...

Stay tuned........

Holy! This is fantastic. Congrats Shankster and great start, always have loved your style in your reviews. 

Enjoy these beauties and hope they do wonders for you. Will be a ton of fun to follow along!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Thank you. I should go try a round right now. 15mph winds... get the full experience.

That's where a blade trumps any GI club, you can really work the ball high or low.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Woooo! Congrats buddy, if this is anything like your i200 review, we are all in for a treat.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I echo many of the earlier comments and congrats. Holy (bleep) Batman! What a match made in Heaven! The Shankster and the baddest PING blades on the planet together for one big blow-out of a review..?!! How could we be so lucky..?! I will certainly be following this even though the PING bouncer just laughs at me as he shoves me away from the ropes blocking us from entering the "Blade Club" and points me toward the shovel section... Have a blast (sounds like you already are) and big "Cheers" to ya!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Congratulations@Shankster and that's a very good start to your review! I love the photos, especially the bread and butter pic, that's creativity at its finest.

I'm with PA#9 in the fact if Ping knew I was even looking at their beautiful blades, someone would show up at the house and block any access I had to these pictures.

Ping has really brought out the big guns this year to MGS, with the G410 driver review, the long game gapping, and now this. I don't think they could have picked a better man for this job than you. Have fun and I can't wait to read along!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations@Shankster and that's a very good start to your review! I love the photos, especially the bread and butter pic, that's creativity at its finest.

I'm with PA#9 in the fact if Ping knew I was even looking at their beautiful blades, someone would show up at the house and block any access I had to these pictures.

Ping has really brought out the big guns this year to MGS, with the G410 driver review, the long game gapping, and now this. I don't think they could have picked a better man for this job than you. Have fun and I can't wait to read along!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I was at PING HQ for my fitting.  After we were done, I asked to see a Blueprint --this was before it's release.   They told me once we were inside and far from the range I could look but not touch.   LOL.  Not really.  But I didn't dare even ask to take a swing.   A man has to know his limitations 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12